This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

At Marni

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, October 23, 2008

At Marni

Comments on "At Marni"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:14 AM) : 

Ususally, I'm not a fan of the all-over-floral-print dress. But, it's sooo granny chic with the extra long cardigan. I *love* the color of the cardigan, and I really appreciate the subtle coloring that is on it. Well played, I say.

Also, I love her stance. Toes together, ankles slightly apart. Cute without being pigeon.

 

Blogger beths said ... (9:18 AM) : 

Relaxed shapes with harmonious palette (amazing dress fabric; perfect sweater), but the bag overwhelms.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:19 AM) : 

I'm just not feeling the whole cardigan thing...her shoes are fabulous, tights and dress awesome even the oversized tote and glasses...)all are a bit overseen on this blog) the cardigan just gives it a heavy matronly look when it could have been so smart with the same colored wrap.

 

Blogger Miss Urbanita said ... (9:29 AM) : 

I need this dress: I have fallen in love!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 AM) : 

Where is this beautiful dress from? It is amazing, and she looks so elegant! That being said, I would go for darker shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 AM) : 

Gray tights with white shoes = awesome... I'm going to pick myself up a pair- looks so comfortable yet clean and sleek. Then again...I'm a lover of tights.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:49 AM) : 

I love the pea-green sweater with the sheer quality over the flowered dress. Interesting proportion. I'm not wild about the stocking/shoe combo, though. Not certain what would have made it better... cocoa hose? A heavier shoe leaning toward more of a bone color? Also would like to see this with a bag that is less "working"... even a large clutch.

 

Blogger Jaime Randle said ... (9:50 AM) : 

I enjoy how, although both pieces look grandma-esque, she manages to make it look young, effortless and beautiful.

 

Blogger Gia said ... (9:55 AM) : 

cute flower power look, the dress is really nice and it goes with the green cardigan.what i find is wrong on this look is the bag...

 

Blogger pablo said ... (9:56 AM) : 

i think the girl in the pink dress is more interesting

 

Blogger John B Pritchett said ... (10:52 AM) : 

Normally I'm not a floral print fan but this one is different. I definitely like it with the sweater and shoes.

 

Blogger Charlotte said ... (11:22 AM) : 

Funny. It's granny-style like stylebubble talked about just a few days ago. But some old clothes on a young and slim person and you've got a new style...

 

Blogger Agnieszkowa_szafa said ... (11:34 AM) : 

this dress is beautiful...cardigan too, she looks very good

 

Blogger La Clocharde said ... (11:39 AM) : 

I don't know why exactly, but I love her cardigan...it looks a bit "homeless" style, it looks vintage...it's nice.
Also, I think the bag doesn't look good with this outfit at all.

Cheers.

 

Blogger Wanderlusting said ... (12:15 PM) : 

First time commenter here :P

I actually really like this, the grey, subdued tights and the way the green cardy and white shoes are represented in the dress...actually, the woman in pink beside her is also represented in the dress. Perhaps she should stand by her all day for even more coordination!

I actually like the oversized leather bag. If she had something smaller I think it could be seen as too "granny-chic"...this keeps it fresh, in my opinion anyway!

Love the blog Sart, your pictures are my muse and when I'm not running off to buy something new, it inspires me to mix up my old clothes.

 

Blogger Dominica said ... (12:22 PM) : 

Oh, I would buy this immediately ...
love the green tone of the cardigan...it has that *shine* ...

 

Blogger fashionfatwa said ... (12:22 PM) : 

*HALAL*

This girl gets it. Way to make a long cardigan not look sloppy. I love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 PM) : 

I love this look. Great individual pieces, and I like how the overall quality looks--at first glance--somewhat"off" and slightly mismatched. But with close looking, the pieces are in fact related. She comes across as unpretentious and comfortable with herself.

 

Blogger Hadley Makes said ... (12:34 PM) : 

She takes this quintessential "grandma" look and totally rocks it.

I love these colors and desperately want those shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:50 PM) : 

The young lady seems beautiful but I don´t appreciate neither the shoes, nor the dress and cardigan. At least all together. Sorry.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM) : 

I think it's the Thakoon floral inside-out dress that Michelle Obama wore to one of the debates...It looked wonderful on Michelle, it looks equally different but stylish on this woman.

 

Blogger Loulou said ... (1:14 PM) : 

i lovethis look. its classic marni, and encompasses many modern classics. these include the vintage shift, cardigan-coat, and the omnipresent opague tights/leggings

 

Blogger Petulia said ... (1:55 PM) : 

Love it! Marni style never fails. I just went into their store the other day and eyed a similar dress..must buy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:39 PM) : 

cute dress and shoe/tight combo, but the sweater and bag are overwhelming the look. i would wear this with a black blazer and mustard/green clutch (assuming i had one). ha!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

tights and shoes make it. hair needs work and i like a messy hair. just lost me at the top.

 

Blogger kadriye said ... (4:34 PM) : 

The dress and the green cardigan are from THAKOON! That is used with the gray tight...

 

Blogger maggie_hogan said ... (4:49 PM) : 

Um... maybe I'm absurd, but I think this dress is from Ann Taylor Loft. If not, they carried a strikingly similar one this summer...
I don't like her tights with her peep toes. But I love the dress with the cardigan!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:07 PM) : 

I really like this outfit: the colors of the floral pattern, the white flats with the gray tights...well done, lady.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:59 PM) : 

The cardigan would be fine with something else but it looks really granny with the flower print and the bag is very overwhelming

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:00 PM) : 

Dress is Thakoon. Love her tight and shoe combo with this particular dress.

 

Blogger Brigadeiro said ... (7:08 PM) : 

I love how the floral dress was toned down by the cardigan, refraining it from looking to loud, it's a gorgeous outfit! I agree that the bright pink dress on the left looks gorge too!

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (7:20 PM) : 

Hmmm. All of these pieces are nice but as an ensemble? I can't say I'm digging it. It looks too haphazard to me. Like thriftshop chic without the chic.

First of all I think the dress would be better at knee length.

The sweater is unflattering, it needs shape IMO (look a the shoulder seems - is this her dad's sweater?). It makes this already grannyesque dress look more matronly. Perhaps it would work with skinny jeans or leggings.

The bag is too big and modern for the outfit and IMO black is not a good choice.

I don't think the shoes work with the sweater and purse but I do like them with the tights.

Wow.... being this critical is exhausting.... must take nap now.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:33 PM) : 

I don't get it. Maybe it's because I'm a member of this generation, or possibly its because the oversized glasses, tote bag large enough to hide a body in, distracting print dress remind me of my college days.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:36 PM) : 

I love the cardigan! I am really looking for a great long cardigan to pair with a dress or jeans and a tee.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:12 PM) : 

i think the women at the marni shows are my favourite. madcap and fancy-free, they spark my imagination the most.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 PM) : 

No. No fit, no style, and please, no white shoes with black hose! Ick, ick, ick!
If French women dress to highlight their best feature, please, what is being highlighted here??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 PM) : 

All of these pieces are nice but as an ensemble? I can't say I'm digging it.

 

Blogger opinion said ... (10:26 PM) : 

This outfit looks great - I especially love the color combination of the floral pattern and the pea green.

I'm not so sure about the shape and texture of the slouchy bag but its interesting how it almost fades into the background, bringing out the vivid colors of the dress and sweater.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 PM) : 

those shoes are a must have

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 PM) : 

I want the shoes!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:30 PM) : 

The sweater makes her look frumpy :(. I bet that girl has an amazing figure, but you would never know without a waist of some kind. That part bothers me. Can't say that I love the black bag with the nature color palette either. Minus the bag, the colors blend beautifully. But again, she looks like she's drowning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:46 PM) : 

This look really reminds me of the styling in the the Anthropologie catalog - especially the dark tights/light peekaboo shoes/floral frock combo and the thrown together retro/vintage feel of the outfit. I'm not sure the glasses or the Blackberry work here, but the bag's OK - it just seems to blend in with the background.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 AM) : 

awesome!

 

Blogger Cammila said ... (1:05 AM) : 

She's young enough to look like there's a little irony here, but even if she doesn't look like a granny, she could still change her hair and help things a lot.

 

Blogger Jennifer Rados said ... (9:07 AM) : 

adorable.

 

Blogger jessicadrhp said ... (10:46 AM) : 

the lady with the spotted bag a distance behind looks interesting. the navy on her is eye-catching. the pink on the photographer too.
the subject of the photo: looks heavy, clothes weighing her down. dont like the shoes too much.
jaime's (above) suggestion sounds good

 

Blogger shemtov said ... (8:30 PM) : 

modern but absolutely chic and classy!
but that bag doesnt really work it

 

Blogger Adventure Team said ... (11:07 PM) : 

I hate to be the anonymous-blog-commenting-type, but I am not feeling this outfit and am surprised that so many responders (mostly women?) are supporting this look.

What am I missing here?

 

Blogger laura.graber said ... (11:57 AM) : 

head to toe Thakoon--she's the sales director!

 

Blogger cami falcão said ... (9:10 AM) : 

love it, from glasses to toes.

 

Blogger miss sophie said ... (9:40 AM) : 

she rocks this look with quirkiness and class. her outfit epitomizes the philosophy that you don't need to dress to show off/expose your body to (the male?) eye in order to be stylish. the colors, textures and pattern here are brilliant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:43 PM) : 

I love this look<3.

 

Blogger Lindsey Marie said ... (7:32 PM) : 

What a charming outfit. It strikes me as whimsical and individualistic. She doesn't look like she is trying too hard, to me she just seems to be wearing something that struck her as interesting and pretty. I hope that is what she did- that's why I like it.

 

Blogger h said ... (2:43 PM) : 

Granny-chic at its best. I find the dress pattern with the cardigan to be exquisite, bu the bag is overwhelming and a bit distracting.

ThaFashionableMind.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:33 PM) : 

I like the dress. I have a feeling the sweater does something unattractive in the back...Not crazy about the accessory choices. I'm trying to avoid looking like a wizard in the muggle world and it's something we all struggle from time to time. So many fabulous things to wear, but edit, edit, edit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 PM) : 

I love the grandma look normally, but this is just too pieced together..without elegance. I think it's the unfortunate length of the dress. If it were a mini - with the tights - voila! Ultra class.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:14 AM) : 

This photo has so many beautiful attributes. The clothes in this photo show simplicity and yet everything else in the picture is so busy. I think that to be able to show both of those aspects in a picture is a great talent. I love how through all of the "hustle and bustle", the girl who is the subject of the photo is completely zoned out. Her focus is completely on whatever it is on her phone-may it be a picture or just a regular text she is looking to, not on this busy street that seems like its filled with paparazzi and other media. Also, the stance that the girl has is so simple. Everyone elses pose shows movement, but the main girl is standing straight with her toes together. I feel as if this is a "Wizard of Oz" situation modernized. She is thinking there is no place like home because she is obviously not wanting to be in the situation she is in at the moment. Her clothing is so simple like Dorothy's clothes-a simple floral dress with a long casual green sweater. This photo could take on so many meanings, I have only one that stands out to me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 AM) : 

gorgeous print in great colours. cardigan colour compliments well.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:45 PM) : 

Other than the bag, which I agree is too heavy, I want this outfit! I love the length of the cardy with the dress, and the peep-toes with the dark tights are too cute!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:09 PM) : 

The color of her cardigan is the best green I've ever seen.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting