This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Rain, West Village

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, September 07, 2008

On the Street....Rain, West Village

Comments on "On the Street....Rain, West Village"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:58 AM) : 

Fabulous, in every sense of the word. Neutral colours, easy on the textures, such a contrast to the weather. She makes graceful look so easy. Love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:58 AM) : 

love it. but then again i've always been inspired by togas =)

i wish we could see her tattoo

 

Blogger "hi, i'm ginnybranch stelling and i love love." said ... (1:10 AM) : 

i know that baby! thats madeleine, one of my dearest friends. she's been a stunner since her college days in savannah, georgia.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:16 AM) : 

On her way to a toga party, perhaps? Not a practical garment for cold and rain, but I can see it on a tropical beach somewhere.

I still think tattoos look like a skin disease, but maybe that's just me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 AM) : 

I like it, but I don't like her shoes. She wear that shoes in a rainy day 'cause she didn't love her shoes too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 AM) : 

a greek goddess travels back in time and barely misses the summer season. the dress is nicely constructed and the faded shoes are a nice touch. also love the bag.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 AM) : 

The dress is beautiful. Her tan skin pops against the color.

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (1:32 AM) : 

burr ... rain. but she looks good.

 

Blogger Yan said ... (1:38 AM) : 

shoes and dress are incompatible with that weather.. unlucky day?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:52 AM) : 

love to see her front shot of her dress.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:09 AM) : 

wow! she looks amazing, the white against her tanned skin looks so good, and her tats arent bad either!

 

Blogger robby said ... (2:14 AM) : 

Lovely dress, but awful tattoos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 AM) : 

I check your blog daily, and it's even more fun to read now that I'm living in NYC. I moved here from LA about a month ago for school and I'm pretty sure I spotted you in on bleeker a few weeks ago in your silk print shorts and panama hat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:30 AM) : 

I could write an entire novel based upon this photograph. Maybe I will.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 AM) : 

it's lovely :) i adore the shoes

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 AM) : 

1st...........

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:02 AM) : 

Today I stumbled upon your blog through an interview in a Belgian newspaper. I like your concept of approaching people and fashion. I will certainly keep following your blog!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 AM) : 

i love the back of her dress and that tattoo!

 

Blogger Marcello Petisci said ... (3:24 AM) : 

She seems lost... malgré sa Rose Des Vents :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 AM) : 

le petite yum!

 

Blogger hemoglobin said ... (4:09 AM) : 

love her toga outfit!!
not so crazy about her foot wear~~

 

Blogger vnss said ... (4:12 AM) : 

this is an acne dress!
my friend has the exact one in green and you can change the back with an easy pull or tug of the fabric.

its amazing, i especially love the accessories that she is wearing!

 

Blogger junie said ... (4:23 AM) : 

awesome outfit that goes with the sexy tatoos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:29 AM) : 

Oh, she is wearing a lovely dress from the Swedish fashion label, Acne! The tatoos fits well with the dress, shoes and her bag! Very nice!

 

Blogger Dunford said ... (4:54 AM) : 

Maybe this is an obvious comment, but it's refreshing to see this outfit with those moccasin-things rather than the ubiquitous gladiators. Also, I like the rain.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:54 AM) : 

so lovely

 

Blogger ediot said ... (5:21 AM) : 

beautiful dress. acne?
and such a nice picture.

 

Blogger Lela said ... (5:25 AM) : 

is that the dress by acne ?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 AM) : 

besides the dress being beautiful, the shot makes the picture for me. congrats sart! I like the combination between the white of the dress and the black from the umbrella. Even though the sky is quite dark, one can still imagine that it is quite warm.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:52 AM) : 

I want that dress!! (where can I get it?) But i'll leave the shoes. I think that she has great legs and these cut them in half. I would have like to see something that exposed some more skin and crept up the leg. Umbrella looks hot too?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:12 AM) : 

Reminds me of all those vestals of the 60's colossals based on ancient greek mythology.
I also like the combination of simple and natural materials: white cloth, chamois leather...

Cheers from Florence

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:18 AM) : 

great look.

 

Blogger John and Beatrice said ... (6:21 AM) : 

It's as if the end of Pompeii meets the arrival of Tropical Storm Hanna. We should bring this look to London!

 

Blogger milenskaya said ... (6:29 AM) : 

her dress reminds me of roman robe and the shoes - wow - - but i think the photo is not about the dress, but the whole amtosphere, gorgeous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:42 AM) : 

ooooo...urban warrior. i am so glad she isn't wearing gladiators, they would have spoiled the whole look. the shoes she is wearing say gladiator so much more effectively than gladiator sandals...i love the draping of the dress...it almost looks like a bed sheet tied up. an interesting look juxtaposed aganist the rainy street and black umbrella.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:46 AM) : 

very interesting. the top and bottom halves do not match at all! but he is thought provoking.
and what a pout!

 

Blogger Helen said ... (6:50 AM) : 

Optimistic dressing!
She looks chic regardless of the weather though

 

Blogger Den (næsten) aldrig forlegne said ... (7:07 AM) : 

Nice look, the rain and the wet asphalt makes a beautiful accessorie.

 

Blogger La Condesa said ... (7:55 AM) : 

Beautiful.
Feels like the dress is made out of paper and is in danger to dissappear if the rain hits it.
Sort of melancolic picture

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 AM) : 

This photo is so sad. Like others have a said it speaks it thousand words. Her lovely dress and bag are for quite a different time and place. it's like the end of the party.

 

Blogger The Pretty Song said ... (8:20 AM) : 

Beautiful dress! Great blog as always.

 

Blogger stick said ... (9:03 AM) : 

oh well..summer's over...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 AM) : 

This is so perfect. She has completely sold me on whoever she is. I want her dress, her lifestyle.

no more fashion overkillllll

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 AM) : 

i feel COOOLD looking at that picture..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:02 AM) : 

yes yes!

 

Blogger jessica said ... (10:27 AM) : 

a great image.... and it hardly looks like nyc!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 AM) : 

Damn that umbrella! A twenty-first century Pocahontas.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (9:11 PM) : 

I've never experienced Fashion Week but from your posts so far it looks like the Mardi Gras of fashion for the people on the street- is it something like that?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 PM) : 

love this look
i could totally see this look worn while frolicking in the grass too :D

 

Blogger Karina said ... (10:28 PM) : 

OK, I realize I'm "odd man out" here today, but - the dress looks like a bed sheet. I don't care who it's by.

The best thing I can say about the shoes is at least they aren't high gladiators!

Ugh!

 

Blogger Luciernaka said ... (10:31 PM) : 

Iconic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 PM) : 

The shoes totally ruin the whole ensemble.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 PM) : 

I love that this photo is such an oxymoron.
It looks freezing cold yet she's dressed for the beach. I love when people dress in a confusing manner like this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 PM) : 

although it is a romantic picture, i would have rather seen her getting soaked...the dress and bag are lovely, the umbrella, shoes and leg tat, not so much.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 PM) : 

So timeless that I could have worn it ten years ago...or my daughter could wear it ten years from now.

 

Blogger Bella07 said ... (12:01 AM) : 

I love those shoes... any idea wear such interesting foot wear could be found??
She's emodies that tough I am woman persona ... love this picture. "it's raining I dont care my umbrella will protect me and my shoes look better a bit roughed up"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 AM) : 

Once I knew the dress was made of polyester (like the umbrella) the look kind of crashed for me.

 

Blogger M.R.Ambrose said ... (12:45 AM) : 

oh!press pass
What a beautiful rainy day...reminds me of Seattle, the style too. oh!press pass

 

Blogger ginjin3 said ... (1:28 AM) : 

we're seeing more and more of these athens-like wear from the olden days. a nice change. i really like her shoes, very form fitting.

 

Blogger Alisa said ... (2:06 AM) : 

oh, that acne dress is beautiful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 AM) : 

hey... acne dress!
I love acne. good staple.

 

Blogger Mavis Ang said ... (3:24 AM) : 

she's cool...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:43 AM) : 

How could anyone possibly want a tatoo ?
It is so mainstream - too mainstream.
Not to mention difficult to change.
Whatever everybody is doing is not interesting anymore .Looks a bit cheap ?
People change everything about themselves at least a million times a week. The only thing that is permanent : Their tatoos

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 AM) : 

Why is it that I suspect many of the anonymous comments here were written by the same person? They all have the mistakes of a non-native speaker of English!

 

Blogger Irene said ... (4:19 AM) : 

Her posture speaks for herself. Nice prophile.Would hire for shoots; maybe acting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:44 AM) : 

she looks like a sanyasin - a female ascetic or yogini. A royal princess convert on her way to meet the Buddha got teleported! But she is still calm.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:49 AM) : 

AGreed on seeing more of the tattoo. Lots of fashionable people play up their outfits around theirs. Like the gentleman in the shorts from a less recent post.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 AM) : 

I love the style of the dress; it works great on a rainy day!
Though I would prefer it in another colour for myself :D (I'm currently having an affair with Magenta)

 

Blogger magstermash said ... (6:34 AM) : 

It does look like she's going to a toga party but for some reason, I actually don't like this ensemble because the separate pieces seem to contradict each other. To me, the loose weightless-looking dress screams 'relaxing Greek summers'; the black umbrella says 'gloomy winter weather'; her heavy-looking bag screams 'stressful baggage'--all very contradictory to me. I'm still not sure on the shoes but wrapping up your ankles also does not say "summer" to me. And the shoes don't look very rain-proof. Altogether, a contradictory outfit that brings relaxation & stress, and sunny days & rainy weather, and I'm sure others can think of more.

I do however, find the contradictions of her selection intriguing and like each piece on its own on her.

 

Blogger Hip Hype Central said ... (6:59 AM) : 

nice one...

but I won't recommend someone to wear something like that on a rainy day...

looks dangerous,lol....

if you know what that means

 

Blogger k said ... (9:25 AM) : 

lovely Acne dress! i have the same one in green :)

 

Blogger Emme A said ... (9:34 AM) : 

The monsoon in Calcutta or Bombay

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

Its beautiful and yet I don't like it all at once. I think if the shoes were different, I'd be completely sold. I for one wear little dresses when its very warm and raining; the two do go together sometimes.

I get the bedsheet comments (for a moment I considered whether she had made the dress out of one) but I still think the line of her body in that dress and the mood the dress evokes are gorgeous.

About the tattoos: I realize some people are very strongly against them, but I would like to make a plea that they don't say "hate the tats" or similar things, for the simple reason that its like saying, "hate his nose:" it could be surgically changed but it would be painful and expensive, and so it has to be accepted as part of someone's body and treated accordingly.

 

Blogger Olviya said ... (11:23 AM) : 

too much of effortless style, as for me...

 

Blogger Mira Vales said ... (11:27 AM) : 

I love flat shoes on women - you should dedicate some more pics to those, Mr. Schuman! They look comfortable, relaxed and confident - and not as many women look that way in high heels.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:50 AM) : 

"mistakes of a non-native speaker of English"
Well I guess most of us are non-native spakers of English.
That´s why our use of the Englih language has similarities !
Voila´!
However the language of style is universal even if diversified.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

There is an incredible sensuality in the whole composition. You never dissapoint me Sart.

 

Blogger S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said ... (2:23 PM) : 

great shot.

 

Blogger La Clocharde said ... (2:34 PM) : 

Wonderful. I love it. I love how it looks with the tatoos. And the rain. And the broken umbrella.

But...I'm not sure I like those shoes, especially with that look.

Everything else...just perfect.

 

Blogger CULTURE CREATORS said ... (2:55 PM) : 

Gorgeous shot. This is def. one of my favs.






xCC

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 PM) : 

wonderful! simplistic and lovely.

 

Blogger Chloe's Chic Conception said ... (6:13 PM) : 

I love this - not necessarily the outfit itself, but I love this photo - love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 PM) : 

a few people have mentioned that she must have been cold.
if this is from saturday, it was quite warm and sticky.

 

Blogger Vanya Du Toit said ... (6:42 PM) : 

this outfit is incredibly sexy...someone mentioned flat shoes on women- i myself almost never wear heels, although they look gorgeous when worn right, in my lifestyle they're just impractical. i fully agree that flat shoes worn right can look absolutely amazing, sexy, confident, stylish and unaffected. beautiful photo too.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:48 AM) : 

love love the dress! i think the shoes are appropriate.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:08 AM) : 

Very nice, simplicity improved.
Beautiful back on the dress.

http://victoriaofsweden.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27 AM) : 

this is stunning and poetic and it all works so beautifully toghether. the colours, the mood, the dress and the footwear, her tattoos, the pose the sky.... lovely and inspiring and yes, i realise have to try to get that acne dress too.

 

Blogger jenna said ... (1:03 PM) : 

majestic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 PM) : 

Just perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:21 PM) : 

Head-turner for sure, though not built for warmth. "How to get the most out of your old linens" should be the name of this post. Give me a break! --HB

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (10:27 PM) : 

nice shot. something original.

 

Blogger Zaac said ... (5:05 AM) : 

that's what i'd be wearing in the rain..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 AM) : 

So relaxed, dress has great structure and fit.

 

Blogger aviewaskew said ... (11:19 AM) : 

i bet she tells a great story.....just like the pic wowow!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:49 AM) : 

Maybe that's just me but I find the shoes the best part of the outfit!

 

Blogger Menina said ... (6:18 PM) : 

yeah she looks good, but not practical is it? I can feel how cold she is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 PM) : 

Very Sexy (in a good way)!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 AM) : 

what a beautiful little street urchin!

 

Blogger Nancy said ... (6:19 PM) : 

i call this bummy chic...
rainy, a little dirty, almost raw..
i like!

 

Blogger Lillian said ... (1:26 PM) : 

doesn't even look like NYC

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:15 PM) : 

way late comment for this photo, but the shoes are easily my favorite part of the outfit. They're adorable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:26 PM) : 

looks like a very creative use of tall kitchen trash bags

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 PM) : 

i wonder if she bikes?
she's got nice toned legs and a very brooklyn-chic tat.
oh, and the bruises. :P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:17 PM) : 

This is such a weird question/comment but what undergarment should one wear with this kind of dress?

 

Blogger couturiette said ... (9:15 PM) : 

Absolutely stunning. This is my favorite Sartorialist photo, EVER. Completely arresting, stops-you-in-your-tracks, but quietly, hauntingly elegant. Nothing loud or brash. Beautiful beautiful work! Stunning dress - I'm a sucker for stark, all white gowns - and stunning photography. Raves!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:16 AM) : 

looks like she's waiting maybe against her will, after a struggle...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:07 PM) : 

This is a beautiful image - any chance you might share some tips on taking photos with these qualities?!

Thanks, Matt, London.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:38 PM) : 

What a gorgeous photo. It´s nostalgic. You're great. I just found out your page and I totally love it.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting