This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Jessica, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, September 12, 2008

On the Street.....Jessica, NYC


I am seeing a lot of these oversized jackets this fashion week.

Comments on "On the Street.....Jessica, NYC"

 

Blogger The Good Life in Virginia said ... (8:15 AM) : 

good look.
circa:early 90s
i just pulled mine out to recycle into Fall wardrobe

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 AM) : 

Interesting comment , Sart. I don't think it's an easy look to pull off but this lady does so with ease and elegance. I love her colour palette and the way her the jacket lining of the rolled up sleeves echoes her satin skirt. the flipped up collar pulls it all in. Really nice combination of textures and colours.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:30 AM) : 

Hmm... took the jacket from my father.
But she´s looking good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 AM) : 

this is the way I'd like to look when I get out of the house in the morning.sophisticated and simple not boring groovy kind of way.

 

Blogger Tord said ... (8:34 AM) : 

Hideous, sloppy, and looks even worse the second time around.

 

Blogger Mrs Stevens said ... (8:41 AM) : 

Wow. WOW. Effortless, chic, individual. What more could one ask for?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 AM) : 

I never did care too much for oversized jackets - not my thing. Am not digging this too much. Still an unbeliever, sorry!

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (8:50 AM) : 

The rolled sleeves emphasize the fact that it looks too big, although it would probably look sillier with the sleeves down. I'm sure a lot of people will love it, but imagine the response to a man's jacket shoulder seams hanging part-way down his arm. I KNOW, it's an appropriated man's style to begin with so it makes more visual sense that it's oversized on a woman. That doesn't mean it looks good. It's not a trend I welcome, but to each (her) own

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 AM) : 

This look is pretty "empowering" and kinda "rock n roll" cool. I like the proportions of the over-sized jacket (reminds me of the pieces worn at Balenciaga's fall 08 runway show), the Ray Ban shades, the high-waisted skirt, and the simple white shirt. Love the sandals and even her purse is flattering. spectacular shot, once again! ^^

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:55 AM) : 

not a very interesting jacket- I think this look won't fly for most.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 AM) : 

Great look for this transitional weather. Simple enough so as not to be too fussy, but interesting enough to want to wear around fashion week! I like when people manage to pull off things that look good, and are reasonable for moving around the city at a fast pace.
Hmm ok maybe the shoes don't fit that as much :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:23 AM) : 

No, thank you. This is not a good look for women. Its bulky and unflattering. I'm all for mixing up silhouettes but, jackets are already an extra layer of fabric, and so I believe they need to be as trim and cinched as possible, or the shape of the human being underneath is lost.

I think overall she looks sloppy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:28 AM) : 

I am not looking forward to the revival of oversize jackets. They are not good news for us petite women.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

too cool

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:35 AM) : 

made me think of carrie

 

Blogger Linda Thai said ... (9:37 AM) : 

i think this look is nice, although i feel like the jacket is too much bulk and makes her looker bigger than what she is BUT her legs are long and thin so to me she justt pulled it off..

winter Xo

 

Blogger trapodistéra bel tempo si spera said ... (9:48 AM) : 

dear sartorialist-

i've been looking at/reading your blog for a while but never left a comment. i usually have my own raw ideas about your pics but end up confused with what other people think.. confusion is good! images colours possible combinations and all that fill my mind and i find myself delving into my grandma's closet:))i guess my taste is somehow developing. my approach to styles i used to mark as "no" is now more cautious, i look for details and if i dare, i do it now more consciously.

in other words: your blog is visually stimulating and encouraging. in my own small way, i fell i want to dress for the sake of beauty.

so thank you!
s.

oh and about todays second shot: i totally agree with anonymous_8:31. this is just the way i'd like to look as a woman. combined with the hair and the shades, it's simple and great. love the jacket- maybe not the same lenght of the skirt (?)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

I need to know: can I achieve this look by just borrowing my husband's jacket? Or is something like this tailored to fit a woman, while *looking* like man's a jacket??

 

Blogger Celia said ... (9:54 AM) : 

I've been trying to find a suitable one of these for myself, but the over large shoulders bother me a little. I think the softness of the fabric is key.

 

Blogger Helen said ... (10:07 AM) : 

I love the big blazer look. It's casual but very chic

 

Blogger Michael Joseph Owens said ... (10:26 AM) : 

Great shoes!

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (10:41 AM) : 

I love it because its easy and still chic.
She looks a little bit like SJP, no?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

still in love with wayfarers. am i the only one??

 

Blogger Paige said ... (10:53 AM) : 

This certainly looks great with the oversize blazer, but I'd personally like to see it with a fitted one in this color, perhaps with a bit of a princess sleeve. I think both could look great. And what a mane!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 AM) : 

Fantastic! Elegant and still special. I think this picture can tell very much about how I think about fashion.

 

Blogger Gia said ... (11:21 AM) : 

i like it:)my fav is the bag with that vintage touch and the eye glasses...all in all,the outfit is good and the jacket looks quite good and fits the look very ok...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 AM) : 

love love the brown and black together.

 

Blogger Old Housecoat said ... (11:36 AM) : 

This is exactly how I don't want to look in the morning. To me this looks anything but pulled together. Like so many other ensembles I see the individual pieces are better than the whole look together. The skirt seems ill-fitting and doesn't work very well with the blouse. I really don't think she gave this a lot of thought. It looks as if she was running late and not only didn't she have time to pull together something fresh she didn't bother to comb her hair. The clutch and sandal are wonderful and I love the delicate detail added with the lapel pin, but over all, I just don't think she cuts it. Was it a slow day?

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (11:41 AM) : 

oooo - love it. oversized jackets are so sexy.

 

Blogger Missy's Got Fighting Blood said ... (11:42 AM) : 

Bump the jacket! I'm loving that bag!

 

Blogger vicki archer said ... (11:48 AM) : 

The jacket works with her all over messy/I just threw myself together look. The glasses, fab long blonde hair and shoes with cute pose probably make it happen more than the jacket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

Is this jacket vintage?

I used to raid my dad's closet for jackets like this in the 80s. Then I found a couple new jackets with the same cut in the early 90s. I loved them so much I wore them all until they fell apart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

cool

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:14 PM) : 

Not a good look, but it's what's happening with mens wear as well--the thom browne cut is giving way to a looser, fuller look. don't like it at the moment but maybe our eye will get used to it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 PM) : 

This is an adequate but hardly startling look - big jacket? black and white?

For heaven's sake where is the originality? She looks assured, intelligent and confident so we forgive her, but compare this to some of the Parisian photos from the last few months and a gaping chasm appears.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (12:24 PM) : 

yeah, oversized is really a trend these days.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 PM) : 

I love the proportions but I think she would look perfect if it weren't for the sloppy color choices, caramel, black, dark brown..it just doesn't work.

 

Blogger Jana FitzGerald said ... (12:53 PM) : 

It seems pretty early 90s to me, which means we are already turning back to the last decade for nostalgia! AH. Anyways, I think she looks pretty good. I feel like this idea is better in theory, though. I get the idea that women who does this will look back in a few years and wonder what they were thinking. Well-tailored (+timeless) jackets are a little different than this look, which can border on ironic. I wonder what kind of jacket that is, I'm almost positive it's a man's jacket. I wonder beacuse whenever I wear my fathers jacket's the effect is quite strange...less effortlessly chic, more 5 year old girl drowning in Façonnable

 

Blogger Benji said ... (1:01 PM) : 

You people make no sense, she is looking amazing! Her high-waist skirt compensates completely for the grandly executed jacket! (Catch the phrase eh?)

The hair, the shoes, the bag, the jacket, the skirt. It WORKS.

I do hate those sunglasses though, she looks like an individual even though the shades are boring and worn by everyone. Nothing new there.

 

Blogger Anthea said ... (1:16 PM) : 

Love it :) That jacket is amazing. Beautiful photo as always.

 

Blogger Heather Chandler said ... (1:17 PM) : 

This is a Carrie Bradshaw moment. That was my first thought. Incredible shoes.






xCC

 

Blogger CULTURE CREATORS said ... (1:20 PM) : 

GORGEOUS hair.






happy friday sart:)

CC

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 PM) : 

Géraldine at Café Mode also had a shot of her, describing her look as "preppy Californian."

 

Blogger S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said ... (1:27 PM) : 

The clutch is wonderful, as is the oversized blazer of course.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:45 PM) : 

too miami vice for me... where's stubbs?!

 

Blogger RECIEN LLEGADA said ... (1:59 PM) : 

Perfect and new.J'adore

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

For some reason, this look feels very scandinavian.

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (2:31 PM) : 

this idea didn't look good in the 80s and it doesn't look good now.

 

Blogger Ellie Lee said ... (2:57 PM) : 

Love the way the sleeves are pushed back and I LOVE her platforms!! IF ONLY I've got that in nude~

 

Blogger zincink said ... (3:18 PM) : 

First thing I noticed was the bag and the overdone ray bans (zzz) but I do like the fact that the jacket ends at the skirt.

Would a skinny belt over this be appropriate? hmmm (puts finger to chin)

 

Blogger The English Lady said ... (4:27 PM) : 

The oversized look works because she has the sleeves rolled up to display slim arms and wrists. Also she has a deep v-neck and a short skirt. It is a question of proportion, if you are going to wear something enormous you need everyone to still know you are skinny underneath. (Even MC Hammer showed his ankles, but let's not go back there!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 PM) : 

First the boyfriend's shirt, now the boyfriend's jacket? A serious trend forming?

 

Blogger Cheryl Houston said ... (4:53 PM) : 

yuck! keep it in the closet! or in the 90's. no. no. no!

:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:54 PM) : 

Truly odd angles of her legs and arms are distracting me from the jacket.

 

Blogger miss sophie said ... (5:01 PM) : 

a very versatile look - a nice twist on the 'professional' look that so often veers into the uniform and boring.

what looks like a lapel pin is an interesting accent. she looks comfortable and chic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 PM) : 

I think it's great, especially with those colours and the bag. But I agree with zincink, a skinny belt would maybe make it even better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

I don't get this one, I'm afraid. The jacket is bulky and the shape is unflattering. Also, the skirt doesn't seem to fit that well.

 

Blogger R4TH said ... (5:26 PM) : 

go jess.....part of the archive now!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:37 PM) : 

Cicra Chloe Sevigny.....

 

Blogger Asis Cortes said ... (5:52 PM) : 

muy muy muy bueno, jajaja
muy fashion,
saludos a todos, los espero por mi blog

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:53 PM) : 

I am not feeling the buttons on the front of this skirt, she could have found a skirt without buttons, would have worked better. She parashoots off those shoes at the end of the day...whoa! What a tall heel. She should have worn a different blouse or even a t-shirt with a logo, the white blouse is boring!Love that long hair, though--HB

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:06 PM) : 

this looking is BORING. there are better examples of the oversized jacket. i just wish we could move on... it's been done for a while now.

 

Blogger irinaindira said ... (7:09 PM) : 

I don't like...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 PM) : 

What a versatile look! There is much to admire: the pared-down accessories, the black/brown combinations, rolled-up sleeves echoing the fabric of the skirt, zawl neck - and the white and the sandals perfect for the season. We can imagine her adapting this outfit for Fall and winter, with boots, roll-necked jerseys, wonderful stockings, contrasting colours, an overcoat. She clearly knows how to dress effortlessly and imaginatively. Her simplicity is an inspiration. Thank you for posting this one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:16 PM) : 

I am sorry to say, but I don't like that pidgeon-toe pose. It makes her legs looked crooked. Compare this to the confident pose of the Paris pic of Sept 02 ... quelle difference !

 

Blogger Dennice {Fringe} said ... (9:35 PM) : 

I just found out about this amazing site and must say I am completely smitten.

I am quite certain I will be up many a night looking through all these wonderful, inspirational segments.

Thank you for being you, and for creating this scandalously fabulous blog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 PM) : 

You have a good eye, Baronartz! I agree about the pose - and the comparison is exemplary. The truly self-confident stand as naturally as the 2 September beauty; others seem to think that twisted poses are elegant. They are not. And yet, both women are beautifully dressed in clothes that, despite many objectors, are distinctive and, on them, flattering. Both can pull off slight unconventionality or fashions that on others would look old hat or feel awkward.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 PM) : 

Clothes lovely, pose unfortunate.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 PM) : 

Definetly not a flattering look for a petit woman like me...but she pull it off and I love the shoes.

 

Blogger Botany's Desire said ... (10:52 PM) : 

Funny thing is she looks nice herself, but I hated the long jackets in the 90's and I hate them now. I am not quite getting why this look is coming back.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 AM) : 

ummm is this Carrie Bradshaw? I could have sworn it was.... This outfit wouldnt work on everyone but this girl pulls it off very well

 

Blogger zuccotto said ... (12:30 AM) : 

WEll, it the Thom Browne look is morphing to a bulky jacket, I suppose next we'll have the pigeon toes flip into a duck walk.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 AM) : 

She looks amazing. I love her pouch.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:45 AM) : 

I notice the recent trend including fashion shows,
That is the absence of belts.
I've seen both women and male in it.
It look very casual and chic with the shirt tucked in.
Gucci has the obvious style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 AM) : 

i getting tired of it, those jackets has already been seen on the streets of stockholm for over a year now....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 AM) : 

It make me think of Carrie Bradshaw.
I love this look.
Oversize and quite Vintage. (L)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:44 AM) : 

Takes time to get used to a "new" silhouette.
Sooner or later we all do and start wearing what seemed to be downright ugly.
Except ,of course, truly stylish men and women who always wear what suits them regardless of trends.

 

Blogger Brightlightwarriornika said ... (9:24 AM) : 

the jacket is drowning her and it takes away from her lovely apperance.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:15 AM) : 

i think she looks great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

Boo. Are we that strapped for inspiration these days? Dirty hair, overused 80s glasses, 90s oversized jacket.

Moving on.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:37 AM) : 

after the first picture I can't even be bothered this outfit.

 

Blogger miki_ said ... (11:40 AM) : 

i love it.

she reminds me a bit og chloe sevigny....
i like this style.

 

Blogger seditionaire said ... (12:14 PM) : 

She really pulls it off...but seeing ovesized jackets with pushed up sleeves...the next step is over-sized shoulder pads? AAAAAAARGH...run away run away!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

FYI...the jacket is from the s/s 08 Isabel Marant collection and the glasses are from an LA-based eyewear line called Benjamin, which was recently featured in the Times Style section. Classic, cool and chic.

 

Blogger PhilM said ... (12:41 PM) : 

oh no! it's like the late '80s, early '90s jackets, minus the shoulder pads. please, please don't let this tasteless come back.

 

Blogger Nat Laurel said ... (3:14 PM) : 

In a way this seems to be a continuation of your previous posting "just for Italians"? Looks like we are going to see big emphasis on sholders soon, if not the whole "Adrian look" comeback.

Speaking of Adrian, are you noticing how much his Fashion show from the movie, The Women (1938)reflects in the todays' Runway? Or is it only me?

 

Blogger Jean said ... (6:31 PM) : 

When I was in a Patti Smith phase back in the 80s, I used to wear big men's jackets. (Strangely, her face reminds me a little of PS) But I never looked so good. Nay, nay, not then, not now, not ever in this life.

 

Blogger Punchdrunk said ... (6:41 PM) : 

I've been looking for a jacket like this, preferably with more shape to it (a blazer, peacoat hybrid) and I can't say I'm a big fan of rummaging though vintage/thrift stores for one (old/used clothes kind of scare me).
Any ideas where I can find one?

 

Blogger Teena Vallerine said ... (6:46 PM) : 

Sometimes I think it's less about the clothes and more about the people you find! She's so beautiful and self-assured - does it matter what the jacket is doing? t.x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:12 AM) : 

yes, very carrie bradshaw

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:44 AM) : 

My first thought? The Olsens.

D'oh.

ko
katyoliver.com

 

Blogger LeeLeeLu said ... (2:51 AM) : 

Love the Benjamin's
Sunglasses by Benjamin Eyewear "Nicole"

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (3:05 AM) : 

She's gorgeous! That face, that hair, that body! She's a 10.... The outfit....more like a 5. (Rolled-up sleeves? Ich.) But who cares when you're this beautiful?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:05 AM) : 

Don't think this oversize jacket works on her so well...

hmmmm...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:13 AM) : 

... nice shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

this looks fantastic. great look. so, like, non. but in the best way. a fun picture - love than hand in the pocket!

 

Blogger kaś said ... (11:19 AM) : 

I think this looks great. If it was a fitted jacket it would be a boring look, and this way it's a touch of retro, casual, and sophisticated. It might bring up back memories of bad outfits, but this this one is done right by keeping everything else streamlined and geometric.

I wonder how the jacket fits from behind. I hope it doesn't billow out too much.

 

Blogger MH said ... (12:54 PM) : 

Divine!

 

Blogger "Eddie in the corner" said ... (3:53 PM) : 

The colors, and the Amount of each color (including hers and her hair) feel just right.
I'd thought as anon 4:48 did "first the boyfriends shirt.."
Whatever the references to the past may be, she just looks comfortable, functional, confident and good. The RayBans restate and balance the deep color up where it wouldn't otherwise be; and i think Are classic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:07 PM) : 

Circa "Princess Bride," aka Robin Wright Penn.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:29 PM) : 

who are the shoes?

 

Blogger Dingo Baby said ... (7:04 PM) : 

I see pain in that stance! Otherwise - it's a really great combination on which she can ring the changes as Summer moves into Fall and Fall to Winter. She will replace white and sandals by boots and contrasting strong colours. She will always look good and some people will always nitpick.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:43 AM) : 

Um, so not a fan. It's all a bit (bad) 80s and rather sloppy looking, in my humble opinion. It's not rare for me to see something on here that seems a bit out there, but I can almost always appreciate the look AND the fact that the person is working it well. She's certainly working the look, I just don't like it.

 

Blogger ellastica said ... (2:44 AM) : 

an uptown non-shredded erin wasson.

 

Blogger Olviya said ... (8:10 AM) : 

mmm, lovely oversized jackets.
the 80-th are coming back... does it meen we have to be again more mature, less feminine...
or we can find the gold middle - mixing those jackets with ruffled dresses and skirts?

anyway, I've alredy bought some in vintage stores... :)

 

Blogger wilsonreps said ... (8:25 AM) : 

so 90s. i'm loving the texture/wear on the leather bag she's rockin, definitely working women sexy.

 

Blogger K said ... (4:00 PM) : 

i love the length...but i wish it were a Little more streamlined. v. cool bag, though.

 

Blogger M said ... (5:01 PM) : 

Jessica - you mean Sarah Jessica? Couldn't agree more.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 PM) : 

A pretty picture. Only flattering because of the girl's beauty & confidence. Most couldn't pull this off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 AM) : 

I notice GAP adsfeaturing the rolled up pushed up sleeves. The skirt doesn;t go well with the jacket,it makes the outfit bulky

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 PM) : 

I like the proportions of this (highwaisted skirt, low neckline, large jacket) but I think it would look better with her hair more "done" maybe back in a french twist or chignon or maybe down but more finished.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:53 PM) : 

Carrie Bradshaw

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:25 PM) : 

this jacket is amazing. i bought one in Paris at the Isabel Marant store in Marais. She look fabulous and it works on small bitches as long as you wear sky high platforms.

anyone who thinks this jacket isnt cute is a weirdo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 AM) : 

this woman looks like sarah jessica parker, the style and all . Maybe its the hair... Love the oversized jacket with the dress. It gives the look a boyish side.

 

Blogger s. said ... (11:18 PM) : 

She's Jessica de Ruiter, non? The Torontonian stylist based in LA?

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting