This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Variation on a Theme (part 2), Milan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Variation on a Theme (part 2), Milan



I love the idea of finding a personal silhouette and then focusing on design details to vary the look.

Comments on "Variation on a Theme (part 2), Milan"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:11 AM) : 

Luv luv luv those dresses....where do i get one? d in Georgia

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:23 AM) : 

Please, oh, please...someone tell me where can I get that gray dress??? It's me, all day long! I love these elegant, feminine, cool looks, but they do look a bit like they called each other in the morning!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:30 AM) : 

I also love the simplicity of one colour. Focuses the eye on the subtle details of fabric and form. Beautiful.

 

Blogger Kate said ... (9:33 AM) : 

Where is the grey dress in the first photo from? It's gorgeous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

From the bags, shoes & belts, and also the structure of the dresses I believe they are from Bottega Veneta.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 AM) : 

i think those dresses in the first pic are both by Bottega Veneta.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 AM) : 

Bottega Veneta!

 

Blogger The Domina said ... (9:58 AM) : 

That is my philosophy as well...I find my most flattering silhouette and try to vary the accessories and prints. Love all of these dresses and would kill for the dress in the top pic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 AM) : 

yeah,,,how to make silhoette is good.

and, how to unite simple soft colour looks elegant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 AM) : 

such a stylish girl. i personally never dress in pink, esp not head-to-toe. but she wears it well

 

Blogger True said ... (10:31 AM) : 

The dresses in the first photo were made by Bottega Veneta and they are beautiful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

Yes, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. These pics reflect the ability to edit both color and size/number of accessories so the person is the focus, not the stuff.
Beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

Love the belts with dresses.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 AM) : 

love the dress in the right i in the first picture. it's perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 AM) : 

Simply LOVELY. To me thats style....

 

Blogger Kris Underwood said ... (11:00 AM) : 

Haven't commented on here yet, but these dresses are absolutely gorgeous!
Want.

 

Blogger shoe-addict-mom said ... (11:05 AM) : 

amazing shots! amazing dresses!

 

Blogger ryder said ... (11:44 AM) : 

soft & feminine. like bedroom dressing for day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:49 AM) : 

Anyone know who makes the shoes in the first photo?

 

Blogger liz song mandell said ... (12:01 PM) : 

i love it. she looks simply elegant and fabulous. in the pink: she shows just the right amount of skin. it's sexy and appealing.
inspiring! thanks for posting.

 

Blogger Cathy Phillips said ... (12:01 PM) : 

Love the pleats and wedges in the first photo!

-Cathy
cathyphillipsfashion.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:14 PM) : 

Oh HELL YEAH! That's what I'm talking about! Flowing, flattering, light. Two thumbs up!

T

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 PM) : 

I guess the dresses are from Bottega Veneta

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 PM) : 

im pretty damn sure its got something to do with everything being from bottega...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 PM) : 

the dress in the second photo is absolutely perfect: the soft pleats at the shoulders compliment the lightness of the fabric; the stitch details and the pockets are fantastic. what also seems perfect is the soft tie around the waist and the length of the dress.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

For those of us who are, alas, not on a Bottega Veneta budget, any suggestions for designers making similar cuts of dresses?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 PM) : 

Love all 3 styles. So chic!!!

 

Blogger Lenoxave said ... (1:04 PM) : 

I love the soft, muted colors and ladylike lines of all these dresses. I adore wedge heels and these ladies wear them all well.

 

Blogger Arielle said ... (1:09 PM) : 

the second dress is my favorite. Although i'm not sure I could pull it off where are the shoes from?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:28 PM) : 

I agree! I love the dress in the second photo as well! Does anybody have any information on it?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 PM) : 

Does anyone know where to get the wonderful dress in the 2nd photo?
I adore it!

 

Blogger Tanja said ... (1:37 PM) : 

is the pink dress from bottega too?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 PM) : 

Isn't this the same girl in the photo with the grey / purple outfit a few months back?

I love her style - very feminine and classy - nothing too "edgy" - just pure style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:57 PM) : 

I like those Bottega dresses so much more than the ones they sent celebrities out in at the beginning of the season. It's weird that a design house kept some of its more appealing and flattering designs for the non-famous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 PM) : 

This "new" hem length is so flattering, isn't it?

Beautiful looks.

-- desertwind

 

Blogger Maggie May said ... (2:21 PM) : 

all beautiful- the pink dress looks like it slinked onto her without effort and the color is perfect for her, wonderful.

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (2:29 PM) : 

OK, who can afford Bottega Veneta? I think the craftsmanship and the execution help make a gorgeous image, but the idea of the comment is finding the silhouette that works for you and sticking to it. I think long legs are always a plus, and these girls work theirs to the max, without showing too much. The movement of a slit on a dress or skirt always keeps guys watching. I would like to see some comments from girls with non-fashion jobs- I will venture that someone wearing such a soft dress would not portray much authority or power, but maybe this is sexist pig me talking. What do you say, women? Would you wear this to the office, or to a party? Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger SpanishGent said ... (2:37 PM) : 

Nothing more beautiful than gorgeous women perfectly dressed! nothing is exagerated, something one really appreciates nowadays!

 

Blogger Jennifer Camp Forbes said ... (3:23 PM) : 

The second picture of the girl in the pink is STUNNING. She looks so graceful with her long neck and long legs. Her hair is gorgeous too. There is something strong and punky about her head: her face, earrings and hair and it contrasts sooo greatly with her outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:45 PM) : 

Both the silhouettes complement her figure very well, especially with her slightly drooped shoulders. It makes her all the more feminine - a real delicate beauty.

I am so glad that you focussed on silhouette because, while your subjects all have great sense of personal style, there has not been many instances where the clothes worn truly flatter and showcase the best of the wearer's body and individuality.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:51 PM) : 

the photos are gorgeous!!!! Beautifully shot.....good work man.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:52 PM) : 

love it....fabulous as usual.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:05 PM) : 

My mom has a cotton version of that pleated dress made in the fifties. I've always wanted it but we're not the same size. Its always classic.

 

Blogger Jessica said ... (4:11 PM) : 

Each of those dresses is beautiful, and enviable, and flattering. But I wouldn't say they have the same silhouette. Tonal quality, level of detail, shoes, all similar. But the shape of those dresses is *vastly* different. The first, with it's close-tailored waist and slightly 50's reminiscent pleated skirt is very constructed, and would work well on any woman who likes her waist more than her legs. The second, which gives the impression of being deconstructed through the waist, would be great on someone with decent legs/shoulders but a shorter torso or larger chest.

This woman, lucky thing, looks great in both. But I know very few people who could carry both of those silhouettes and make it work. Perhaps her true genius lies in the fact that she can wear disparate things and make them all look like they are her own style. . .

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:10 PM) : 

Is it me or is the woman on top wearing the lovely cream dress- are her shoes too big?

 

Blogger g said ... (5:17 PM) : 

oh, the dress pink dress in the picture of the woman walking is amazing! i would die to have it. anyone know where it's from?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:28 PM) : 

I love how both dress are taken in by a belt. It helps to emphasize her slender figure.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:57 PM) : 

these pictures=elegance

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:21 PM) : 

All 3 ladies demonstrate a measure of restraint that defines nonchalant elegance. This is hard in the summer when there are so many over-the-top fashiony items that can destroy a look. Angela from Hong Kong

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 PM) : 

the second picture is perfection what an achingly beautiful girl

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:40 PM) : 

I love all three dresses and all three women look wonderfull. I especially like the wedge shoes of the first picture. This really makes me want to go home and change from pants to a dress. This is making me feel very frumpy. I must buy more dresses...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:52 PM) : 

The pink jumper dress is Bottega Veneta and the wedged woven heels in the first picture are also Bottega Veneta. You can buy them at Bygeorgeaustin.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 PM) : 

that dress is really hot. i absolutely luv it. i wonder where we can get it? if you know please post it! I just saw something kinda like it at bleuclothing but it wasnt exactly the same, although they did have some really hot shit though. i bought a cardigan sweater by Mason in this crazy cool fuschia color, very hot but its summer so i dont even know why i bought it....haha. it was just SUCH a must have

 

Blogger M. said ... (8:52 PM) : 

I think Jorge is right, the pink dress is lovely but if you wore something like that where I live while just roaming the streets you would look a little too vulnerable for your own good. It's a beautiful look, and she's a beautiful girl, but I would be hesitant to wear something like that when not on my way to a party or to a night out with friends or clubbing or something like that.

 

Blogger Couture Carrie said ... (8:54 PM) : 

Really loving these chic, monochromatic, conservative looks. Ideal for a luncheon or, with a little blazer or cardi, the office. It's quite classy to show a bit less skin but still stay cool in the summer.

 

Blogger tanya said ... (8:57 PM) : 

I initially thought that she and her friend were the two variations on one theme :D

 

Blogger DDW said ... (10:06 PM) : 

great silhouette, great hair, great matching accessories.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 PM) : 

women and dresses like this need to be cloned and spread around the world for all to enjoy,,,,

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (11:40 PM) : 

No patch on the subjects, but I would like to congratulate you on the trees in the second (pink-dress) picture. They look so beautiful and pointillist, especially the trunks on the right side (above the scooters). As I am currently living in the desert, I really appreciate a nice foliage picture. Thank you! Your pictures always show such thoughtful attention to the backgrounds as well as the foregrounds.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:48 PM) : 

Tomas Maier for BV...God is in the details.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 PM) : 

I'll have to disagree with you guys.

The pleated dress is beautiful but I don't think it is the most flattering. It dwarfs her head unnecessarily, especially with her hair pulled back like that.

The gray dress is also gorgeous.

In the pink dress photo, her hair looks fake blondish--not a good look for her complexion! Stick to the natural color.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 PM) : 

A great concept, finding a personal silhouette. She looks sophisticated, elegant, ladylike without being stuffy, and radiant. A wonderful combination. This doesn't have to be anyone's personal taste - she looks universally tasteful. Thank you Sartorialist.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 AM) : 

Who is this girl anyway?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 AM) : 

i love how the friends contrast each others colors - like the sun and the moon. very artistic. the second pic definitely gives off a girly glamour. chic indeed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:04 AM) : 

The dresses (and shoes) are from the Spring 2008 Bottega Veneta line. You may be able to get them at net-a-porter.com, or directly from the stores.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 AM) : 

Hm. These are nice dresses of the same style indeed. However, I hate to say, but they look like both fresh off Bottega Veneta. Now, buying ones clothes at one design store is of course going to give a thread to your wardrobe. It's just not totally original.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:01 AM) : 

I love the pink dress.. and the new longer hem.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (3:38 AM) : 

M and Jorge bring up interesting points. I must admit, M, that unless I'm with my man I don't feel comfortable showing skin. I always feel vulnerable and leered at and I'm not talking about wearing trampy clothes, just showing my legs and my noncleavage.

The gorgeous woman on the bottom is much more bold than I and it's not that I don't feel I look good in something like this (in fact it suits me just fine) it's just that I don't feel safe. Having once been attacked by a group of guys when I was walking from my car into a party one night while wearing a sexy dress has left its mental scars. I got away and one of my attackers may be blind in one eye from a jab from my car key but since then when I see girls wearing revealing clothes (not that the pink dress is so revealing) I worry about them.

I love wearing hats and well-fitting men's-style jackets and feeling invisible, but when I put on a dress and heels (which I only do with my man or if I'm going to an event) and my hair is out (a real attention getter - biracial, sun bleached and curly) I sometimes feel like I'm in a bright spotlight that says "guys, check me out". I'm great at exuding confidence so I look perfectly comfortable but inside I can't wait to get home and change into my "real" clothes.

It's such a gray area. You want men to look at you but you want the RIGHT men to look. You want to show off your beautiful, toned body but you don't want guys to think you're sending them a personal invitation to touch it. You want to be sexy but you want to be safe and that takes confidence not just in your body but in the self-control of men whom you don't know.

....So very mental am I.

If there are other women out there who share my weirdness I would love to know.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 AM) : 

Everything from head to toe is from Bottega Veneta. These girls must work for BV. Love the style and the dresses are stunning.

 

Blogger PS said ... (5:03 AM) : 

I love all these dresses and the elegance of the women. As a non-fashion person I would not wear them to the office, I love wearing dresses to work, however feel they need to have a small sleeve and court shoes to be professional enough for the boardroom. The quality of these shine through though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:42 AM) : 

stunning silhouette! a walking "bottega veneta" advertisement!

 

Blogger Diana said ... (6:27 AM) : 

to Jorge: I would definitely wear the second dress to office.
The first dress is though beautiful, but you are right, for me, as a non fashion working girl, it would be too princess-like for the office and too snobish to a party.
Anyway, I wonder, how this dress would look like on someone with a little tummy and bigger breasts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:36 AM) : 

that girl must either be working for Bottega Veneta or she's just really in to the brand.
she & her identical fashion twin do look good in the 1st pic, however in the 2nd photo...all pink, really? a little too nouveau riche/euro-paris hilton for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 AM) : 

Is she Russian? Didn't we see her before in winter clothes?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 AM) : 

VIVA RAGAZZE ITALIANE !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 AM) : 

Monique, those are the same thoughts that run through my head as I consider the lovely skirts and dresses, and then select something plainer...that is easier to run in.

I like the _idea_ of dressing in the manner this lady has , but that idea is often trumped by reality.

Hence my frequent vists to this blog.

Milly

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

I love the dresses, especially the pink one, but I agree with Jorge from Palm Beach; I wouldn't/couldn't wear this too work. Maybe if I added a blazer or cardigan to the beige dress.
I don't like her shoes in either pic though, the beige ones are TOO SMALL! Half her heel is sticking out. As for the pink shoes in the second pic, IMHO ankle straps visually shorten legs. That's my opinion, and then again this girl has long legs so she doesn't really need to worry.
Once again, love these simple (yet not) ladylike shapes, without too many accesories. Would wear this on a Saturday afternoon, to meet friends or a date.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 PM) : 

the dresses are beautiful, the women are beautiful. hate to say it, but the wedges in pic 1 ruin the thing a bit to me. i know they're ever so fashionable - but there are things which are just not flattering, no matter how fashionable they are. and wedges just make a woman's walk look clunky, less elegant, less graceful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:57 PM) : 

I would wear the first dress to work, but I am a university professor and like to play with a traditional 'teacher' style: I can feel feminine but not overly provocative.

 

Blogger CULTURE CREATORS said ... (2:19 PM) : 

What a gorgeous face. She looks like a siamese cat....




xCC

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:55 PM) : 

"It's such a gray area. You want men to look at you but you want the RIGHT men to look. You want to show off your beautiful, toned body but you don't want guys to think you're sending them a personal invitation to touch it. You want to be sexy but you want to be safe and that takes confidence not just in your body but in the self-control of men whom you don't know."

Monique, I must admit the first reason why I read your post is that we share the same name..but as I continued to read I realized we share the same sentiments. I couldn't have said it any better. It's like you spoke the words in my head.

It's such a predicament that I still haven't found a suitable (for me) solution to...

anyone have any advice/tips?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:15 PM) : 

I want that pale yellow dress. Fabulous!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (6:12 PM) : 

Great, easy-to-wear dresses! Love the wedge shoes too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 PM) : 

While the girls and their dresses are lovely, I have to say, something about the fact that the two women are wearing the same exact shoes in two different colors, just like your July 1st post, where the "two for fashion" girls in Milan are wearing the same sandals in two different colors, really turns me off. Its too matchy matchy, couldn't you just imagine that conversation "what are WE going to wear today?"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 PM) : 

I find the comments left here about the dresses very interesting. I'm an economist in a national finance ministry and I would totally wear the first dress (pinky beige one) to the office. It's long enough that the sleeveless bit in the summer is totally fine (although I would have a cardigan handy in an air-conditioned office). It doesn't look in the least bit risque. I absolutely detest stiff suits or dowdy dresses and court shoes. This is not a provocative look at all - more sweetly demure - and the power is all in one's demeanor and in what one has to say, anyhow. The wedges work for me for summer, too, though I typically wear covered toes when I work. The second dress would work less well for a traditional office, in my opinion, even buttoned up, as the details make it look more sporty. The fabric is also quite pink and a bit slinky. I love the dress a whole lot - wish I could afford it or find something similar (seriously, I'm drooling) - but to me it's more of a summer date dress than one for work. Just my two cents. :) OH and before I forget: What caught me about the post is that I appreciate the idea of sticking to a silhouette. I think it's key to know what works for your body and it's fun to play with texture and accessories and so on to veer without veering away. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 AM) : 

Jorge from Palm Beach, I would wear any of those dresses to work IN A TRICE but would cut the femininity with non-girly accessories. I work in the arts so if I'm comfortable with my look so is everyone else. Also, the beautiful girl wearing the pink dress looks very stylish in the picture but the dress is actually unbuttoned very low and slit very high, so I would adjust both. For me a dress sends enough female messages out on its own without flashing both leg and breast that much.

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (3:30 AM) : 

She is lovely. I love that feminin with just the right dose of elegance look. She is a princess!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:17 AM) : 

Whenever I come to this cite, I keep coming back to these 2 pictures. They are stunning. I would definitely wear those dresses. I agree the the post 2 above- feminine, but not flashy. Very classy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 PM) : 

Both women are strikingly beautiful and look as if they are straight out of the 50s, especially the first. Every element of her outfit comes together. Everything matches. Pure classicism at it's best. Many women don't carry this polish and sophistication anymore.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:21 PM) : 

i love that these really lengthy women are wearing such tall heels and also wearing clothing that accents their height, making them look taller. alot of tall women don't do that. and they should! they should embrace their height! it's beautiful.
these women look just beautiful (along with their dresses) because they have the confidence to do that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:29 PM) : 

Everyone in these pics are dressed head to toe Bottega Veneta. Including shoes, belts and bags. She must work for the brand. I was just in a BV shop and everything from this collection is half off. If you want a pretty, classic dress this is the time to scoop it up. Of course, it will still cost an arm and a leg but you can't beat the quality.

 

Blogger Jessica said ... (6:02 PM) : 

I think it's shocking that anyone finds these dresses inappropriate to the point where they would worry about being leered at or touched by men. Yes, the second dress is made of a soft, touchable looking fabric, but it sits away from her body and reveals nothing more than toned arms, a little bit of collar bone, and leg below the knee.

It just makes me sad, that in this day and age a woman would worry that even a demure outfit is an "invitation" to lewd behavior. There are no invitations in clothes other than the invitation to introduce oneself politely and perhaps compliment one's shoes!

Monique #1, I'm so sorry for what happened to you, but you need to know in your heart that what happened to you had nothing to do with you revealing any part of yourself. Your body belongs to you, on a look-don't-touch basis, no matter what you wear. It breaks my heart that anyone would feel the need to subdue their beauty because of a few horrible human beings.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:03 PM) : 

I love her...she is beyond gorgeous. The second look is wondrous, her long flowing hair and the pink dress is lovely with her skin tone. the shoes are killer...i'm drooling all over them! haha.

c'est magnifique!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:05 PM) : 

Thank you so much for your commentary. I recently saw a picture of myself from the early 90s--the only picture I've liked in years, and I realized this was only because the silhouette is one that worked and still works on me. Was thinking about this yesterday when I ended up shopping unexpectedly--bought three very different skirts that ultimately would end up creating a similar silhouette as the one in that photo.

You are an inspiration!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:44 PM) : 

Wow I only realised after a couple of minutes that she was all dressed in pink. Very few people can get away away with that an still look grown up, sexy and sophisticated.

 

Blogger pearlaceous said ... (9:30 PM) : 

The first pic looks like a Bottega Veneta ad, very pretty! Maybe they should use it as their ad lol

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM) : 

love this nude colours and the combination from the fawn dress!!! gorgeous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:37 AM) : 

She looks amazing- very Rosamund Pike/Roland Mouret only less feisty!

The first pic reminds me of a fantastic Dior shot I once saw in a costume/history of fashion book!

Great stuff Scott! x

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 PM) : 

the silhouette sentiment is so true... i am drawn to oversized, short dresses with sleeves, from cotton to silk and neutrals to colours, layered or alone. maybe stemming back to when i was abt 7 and used to scout around at 'pink elephant' school sales for crazy 'mum tshirts' to wear as dresses.

thanks for validating my repetitive shape habit.

i think defining your style is kind of like defining a word, you learn what it is by what it isn't. mine isnt long and wedges but these girls look adorable, i like that they match, well for photo purposes anyway.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:11 AM) : 

The woman featured in both pictures is one of the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.

I can barely focus on anything else. She's breath-taking.

 

Blogger miss ghesquiere said ... (9:33 AM) : 

the girl in the second picture looks like she was taken straight out of a children's book about "the sophisticated woman". Her hair off to the side, her look a biit haughty, the color of her dress and the way she carries herself is unbelieveable. She is absolutely gorgeous!!

 

Anonymous val said ... (10:56 AM) : 

The first picture is adorable... I mean, the dresses are wonderful.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting