This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Something in the Water?

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Something in the Water?


Comments on "Something in the Water?"

 

Blogger A La Femme said ... (9:28 AM) : 

They do say immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Just maybe he became intrigued by your style and decided to try it, it is almost exactly the same. Just keep in mind that, just like in the movies, the originals are always better!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

The best imitation improves on the original, as is the case here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

twins separated at birth ;) i have to disagree with "a la femme" - i prefer the more casual version with sleeves pushed up and shirt outside pants. looks a tad bit more summery and just cooler.

 

Blogger Kelly said ... (10:31 AM) : 

less "something in the water" and more like he's just another Sartorialist reader who finds inspiration in others' stylings ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:13 AM) : 

Beautiful..but I don't like the first guy´s spreads...

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (11:24 AM) : 

I love this! Amazing!
These colors work so well together!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 AM) : 

I agree with Kelly (10:31 AM). You gotta admit, it's a nice color combo. ^^

 

Blogger John Danner said ... (12:01 PM) : 

Ouch! When you bite someones style you gotta throw in some of your own, but I guess he did by not tucking his shirt in... which I never like seeing with a jacket/sportcoat like that.

Wow, right down to the sunglasses...

 

Blogger liz song mandell said ... (12:02 PM) : 

not something in the water...probably your influence! :-)

 

Blogger Karen said ... (12:06 PM) : 

Well, when a look works...

 

Blogger ezra said ... (12:15 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 PM) : 

To those whon see the sartorialist's influence here: First of all, I don't think these Italian chaps need him to figure out how to dress. And second, because the new guy got his picture taken second, it doesn' t mean that he didn't already dress like this a month ago. Third: If there was someone's influence involved, it would be Mr. Cortina's, not Schuman.

 

Blogger GD1891 said ... (12:55 PM) : 

Though the color combinations are the same I see them as completely different looks in the details. The linen jacket, untucked shirt, and baggier pants make the second look even more casual then the first if that was possible. That being said I prefer the original.

Just got to say I love this site. Changed my whole opinion of how a man should dress :)

GD1891

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

Well, one of Time's Magazine Top 100 Design Influencers...
What more to say?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:34 PM) : 

Well, it is the little things that make the original – one button jacket, tucked in shirt, button down shirt – somehow sexier to me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:37 PM) : 

This colour combo is not that profound. It's very much a summery look, so I'm not surprised to see it.

By the way, what is the man on the cell phone's name?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 PM) : 

What an awesome opportunity to analyze how clothes are worn! Each gentleman's details speak volumes: Original guy's unbuttoned-but-still-down jacket cuffs, button-down collar, tucked shirt, cel phone say pretentious (esp. on a khaki jacket -- come on) uptight and either harried or self-important. Second dude's open shirt, spread collar (but still a hankie!) pushed-up sleeves, pinkie ring, wry smile say sexy, confident, interesting. I know who I'd rather meet.

I know the untucked shirt thing is overdone, but if he tucked at this point, would it really improve the look? I think the casual consistency here is more important, screw the blanket pronouncements of the fashion police.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (2:33 PM) : 

How many people have worn white pants, a navy shirt and a khaki blazer? And sunglasses? In the Summer? Gee, why not!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

George Cortina

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:26 PM) : 

Although, I have to say, Sart, that I think it's in slightly bad form to "out" people like this on an influential blog such as yours. The way it's presented here makes the "imitator" look as though he "stole" the idea from the "original" (which, let's face it, he probably did). But who's to say that the "original" didn't pick up his ensemble from another source? I would guess the imitator feels a bit embarrassed about being caught like this, which I think is unfortunate. After all, we all borrow freely in our sartorial practice with the understanding that our borrowings will tactfully go unreported. As U2 once sang, "every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief." I think that with this kind of creative petty theft, we should allow the crime go unacknowledged . . . in the name of good fashion, of course.

 

Blogger JB said ... (3:38 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:43 PM) : 

Yum. I'll have what they're drinking.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:46 PM) : 

I love the slightly slouchier silhouette in the first photo, as well as the pushed up sleeves. It suits him well.

 

Blogger CULTURE CREATORS said ... (6:54 PM) : 

Either that orrrrr fashion revolves around The Sartorialist. I think its the 2nd.






xCC

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (7:41 PM) : 

for anon 3:26
the top photo was taken before the lower photo

the know ,first hand, that both of these people are fans of my blog but i don't think either looks at my blog for personal fashion ideas.

I do think it is possible that they look for work-related inspiration.

these is just one of those things that is "in the air"

 

Blogger zuccotto said ... (9:27 PM) : 

I'm nonplussed to think anyone thinks any of this is somehow new. Both of these guys look good.

Rolls eyes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 PM) : 

If there's something in the water, I definitely want a drink!

They are dressed the same, yet both men have brilliant individuality. Letting that individuality show so well is one of the best things about good style.

 

Blogger Jean Peale said ... (12:16 AM) : 

Haha I saw George Cortina on the street today. The first things I saw were his ankles. I thought, "Who does that guy think he is, with his short pant legs? Oh wait...." I think he's the only one who can get away with it, if only because of you, Sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:19 AM) : 

FYI to all who talk about the 'original' vs the 'imitator'...the photos are not necessarily posted in chronological order. After posing Cortina maybe Scot remembered the top photo from a few weeks back...?

The point of the comparisson is to see how two men style the similar looks...not who copied who.

I personbally prefer the top look...more fresh, less country club.

 

Blogger artsci said ... (9:27 PM) : 

The top style looked a bit too much like a farmer for me (everything being so slouchy). I much preferred the way the white buttons pop on the shirt in the lower picture. If his sleeves were pushed up, it would have made the look perfect for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 PM) : 

I agree with whomever said this is a great colour combination! With that being said, I really don't like how the top fellow put this outfit together at all. I detest spread collars (Elvis is the only human being able to carry this off! ;)) Paired with long hair, facial hair and sunglasses...ouch! He looks much too suave, and, that isn't a good thing.

I love how the gentleman in the photo below looks: preppy with an edge. I wish more men dressed like this!

 

Blogger Eyeliah said ... (12:35 AM) : 

How interesting, and they both look great.

 

Blogger Andy said ... (8:59 PM) : 

This looks very J.Crew-esque. A brand, by-the-way, that is becoming more and more fashion forward. Their fall line goes live on the 24th, but I got a sneak peak. It's fabulous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

Now who's to say who copied who? Did the Egyptians copy the Mayan or Aztec Pyramids or the other way round?
Like both - each one has a different style of wearing giving a subtly different look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:50 PM) : 

When I worked at a men's clothing store I constantly paired navy and tan combinations together, it's beyond complimentary and fashion forward. And dark - light contrasts are so very fashion forward!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

they are looking verry cool!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:57 AM) : 

He looks wonderful every time he wears that shirt and those pair of sunglasses.

 

Blogger Zaydoun said ... (7:13 AM) : 

The main reason I love this blog is that I always find ways to reuse and recycle stuff that I already have.. and this color combination is a winner, and I'm gonna do it soon

You have been warned!

;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

Those ones were fantastic !
Many thanks 2 DJ Krush for the headstyler! $@£

 

Blogger mademoiselleb said ... (12:11 PM) : 

It looks so much better on the first man.
I love this, beige, blue and white really match !

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting