This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Scent of Me

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, July 25, 2008

The Scent of Me


I still can't believe that this is the man that created the most popular cologne of my junior high years.

The name and actual person meant nothing to me at the time but all the kids at Stonybrook wanted to be wearing Lagerfeld.

We were not dressed very cool but we smelled great!

Comments on "The Scent of Me"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 AM) : 

I just read "The Beautiful Fall", the story of Paris in the 70's, Lagerfeld and YSL...fascinating and a great summer read. Have you read it Sart? I am really in awe of KL...more than ever, after that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

Any thoughts on why Lagerfeld always wears this costume? He's such a fascinating character.

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (11:00 AM) : 

I like the way Lagerfeld makes an insitution out of his own image and personality.

To be honest, I never smelled that cologne, I bet it is not just one of those that smells like thousands of others. I'll look for it some of this days, this post made me want to sample it!

 

Blogger PM said ... (11:11 AM) : 

Wow, once again you have captured God! When say Stonybrook do you mean Stonybrook, Long Island?

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:20 AM) : 

stonybrook Junior High in Indianapolis

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

When I was 17 I rode the bus from NY to Toronto. An extremely well-groomed man swept down the aisle wearing a fragrance that just intoxicated me. For years I searched, and finally found LAGERFELD. It is one of my favorite scents of all time. I even wear it myself on occasion! Whenever my husband wears it someone always asks him what it is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

i always knew that lagerfeld looked like this but only today did i have the chance to open up a large close up file of him to realize that he is such a "punk"! His is 50, 60? long white hair,shades, always in black and wears netted fingerless gloves (with such glamor)! i have been re-inspired to rebel and wear my own style from now on until i'm dead!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:50 AM) : 

oops those look like perforated leather gloves..instead

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

his collar fascinates me. but nevertheless he is one of the coolest germans around. he makes me want to move from here to paris. or at least visit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12 PM) : 

but in uncoolness, you were cool in itself...I talk like a hipster.

tell me if this is wrong, but I want to start dressing like a University T.A. and

wear plain colored t-shirts from the gap, easy fit jeans, rock a beer gut, and wear merrells.

Just looks cool...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM) : 

actually, I just read the comments and I thought you meant Stonybook University in Long Island.

 

Blogger António Erre said ... (12:29 PM) : 

The great Karl! Maybe the last one of the Haute Couture tradition... What fragrance did you use, Sart? His fragrance "Jacko" is one of my favourite. Is it the one you wear, or "Photo"? Both are extremelly dificult to find nowadays, but I still have a few bottles...

 

Blogger M. said ... (12:59 PM) : 

Of course, Lagerfield's work is great and enviable and wonderful but everytime I see a picture of him I can't help but thinking that he looks like a scary Puritan man who disaproves of laughter and color and any sort of nonsense

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:03 PM) : 

Love the way Lagerfeld insist on wearing black every day....and to the 9's.. brilliant man

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 PM) : 

I never understood the adulation for this man: His work for Chanel and his own label are all so disposable. With the exception of his ethereal Chanel Haute Couture collections, I always find him more an overhyped institution who consistently churns out such random designs. Having said that, I do admire him for losing over 100 lbs. just so he can fit into Monsieur Slimane's brilliant designs ;-)

--PLO

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

THE ´KAISER´KARL LARGERFELD!:
CHROME HEARTS LOVING-DIOR SKINNY PANT WEARING- FASHION CLOTHES HORSE-DESIGNING-FENDI FUR/CHANEL HEAD DESIGNER-PHOTOGRAPHER-DIET BOOK WRITING-MUSIC CD COMPILER-TOTAL MAN ABOUT TOWN-MR KNOW IT ALL!!

I UTTERLY LOVE THIS MAN..BUT DOES HE GET ANY SLEEP?

MR. LARGERFELD, I SALUTE YOU!!


HOGAN.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:27 PM) : 

To be fair, all Lagerfeld did was design the bottle that held Ron Winnegrade's work.

 

Blogger ric said ... (1:28 PM) : 

Very interesting...I didn't know you were from Indy!

 

Blogger Alicia said ... (1:42 PM) : 

God I love this man. He is the definition of a fashion persona. It's like you can feel him coming through his clothes, and he's bitchin!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

Ah! The Kaiser donning his usual skinny black pantsuit and priest-esque collar! You know someone is an icon when they are instantly recognizable based on the outfit they have on.


Sart, it is nice to hear you are a Midwesterner as well!

 

Blogger Crossed said ... (2:08 PM) : 

Polo cologne was popular at John Marshall H.S. at the time. Hello from Indianapolis.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:09 PM) : 

Does KL have an 18th c style ponytail back there behind the high collar?

For some reason this photo gives Lagerfeld a Bill of Kill Bill/medicine man/priest/cowboy aspect I have never associated with him before.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

is he holding a cassette tape?

 

Blogger Eugene Kim said ... (2:47 PM) : 

so legendary...

 

Blogger muir mackean said ... (3:15 PM) : 

Bond Villain chic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 PM) : 

Am I the only person on earth who liked Lagerfeld better when he was big? He ust looks like an undertaker to me now.

 

Blogger Filomena said ... (4:00 PM) : 

That's like a uniform for him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:29 PM) : 

Is he wearing make-up?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:43 PM) : 

All hail the master! *Basks in the scent of YSL* LOL

 

Blogger B. FLY AND THE CITY said ... (6:04 PM) : 

LOVE him, I really do.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:27 PM) : 

Ohhh my hero!!!
Did you actually ask Monsieur Lagerfeld to pose for this shot?
I'm curious about the interaction behind this pic :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:27 PM) : 

I used to wear Lagerfeld sometimes myself. I would steal it from my Brother! lol! But it really was a beautiful fragrance and had the best essence! Thanks for a walk down memory lane. Now...If I could just find some Perry Ellis for Women and some Anne Klein II Perfumes I would be in Heaven!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:04 PM) : 

I love the way he carries himself! He's genius!! I actually got a chance to work very close to him and he seemed so warm and easy to talk to.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:39 AM) : 

Lagerfeld's scent reminds me of high school...it was my favorite scent - I rocked a Flock of Seagulls haircut, wore men's double breasted jackets & stole my boyfriends bottle of Lagerfeld. It became my signature scent - it would shock all the boys that I wore it. Ah sweet memories!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:25 AM) : 

smplysavge - did you know he's actually 74? He was born in 1933. He neither smokes nor drinks, never has, so that has something to do with it surely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:34 AM) : 

haha i went to a stonybrook too! but it was a different generation and an elementary school; kids just smelled like crayons and apple juice usually.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:34 AM) : 

He is a man of renaissance in our modern age... he seems so old and yet so vibrant at the same time. I bet his eyes talk too much about what he knows (or he wants to be free to look into people), that is the reason he keeps them behind shades. Lagerfeld is intense and stirring, the cologne and the man

 

Blogger Butch said ... (9:21 AM) : 

The sarcophagus lid rises slowly; a black-glved hand emerges...then the body slowly sits upright.

The head is perched precariously, supported, seemingly, by a large stiff collar; the figure, dressed almost entirely in black, has shockingly white hair that appears powdered. The face is more ancient than time.....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:36 PM) : 

I realize that this is not a popular opinion, but I find Karl Lagerfeld absolutely terrifying. He always looks like he is about use my kittens as couture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 PM) : 

Absloutely recognisable, but some wit or humour or lighthearted tongue in cheek something - anything - would help...this doesn't feel like now, it feels like the 80s/90s to me.

 

Blogger hope in uptown said ... (10:47 PM) : 

He is such a lasting monument! Though I personally think Mugler/Gaultier/Montana better epitomized French Forward Fashion, he obviously has lasted.

And his original cologne is still yummy good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 AM) : 

I find his look since he lost weight so sad. He reminds me of an aging woman trying to pretend she's still a girl. He wears the collar and the gloves because you can't disguise age in the neck or in the hands, and it's so depressing to me that he despises his own body so much. He should be proud to be who he his, and to be his age. He's just so pathetic now. (I mean pathetic in its sad sense, not derisively.)

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (5:56 PM) : 

So what cologne are you wearing right now, Scott?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 PM) : 

Thank you so much for paying homme-age(lol) to what I think is one of the best smelling colognes in der Welt! Two generations of women in my family flock to this scent (including me) and would even wear it themselves (personally, the only next-best cologne-scent is Paul Smith London). Mr. Lagerfeld needs to seriosly consider a re-issue (I can't find it anywhere). If only I could smell it now...

 

Blogger blackbetty said ... (10:11 AM) : 

ahhh, love this man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 AM) : 

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die! Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting