This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Personal Silhouette (part 2)

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, July 25, 2008

Personal Silhouette (part 2)



I think what we are seeing is that some people are very in-tuned with what type of shapes look good on them.

For guys this would translate into always or never wear double-breasted jackets, or peak lapels with a low gorge or something like that.

Comments on "Personal Silhouette (part 2)"

 

Blogger Michelle said ... (10:03 AM) : 

I do think that woman would look good in almost anything though ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 AM) : 

She's got a really great figure! She would look good in anything!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 AM) : 

beautiful silhouette!

 

Blogger DS said ... (10:23 AM) : 

I agree, which is why I believe knowing your body is extremely important in your individual style.

Clearly this young woman is comfortable in her own skin and it's reflected in her style. She definitely has the body that could pull off most looks.

As always thought provoking fotos.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:24 AM) : 

Is that Nadege? She was a huge model from the 80's...She still looks amazing, if that is...

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (10:27 AM) : 

You are right! They say in Spanish: "De la moda, lo que te acomoda" which loosely translated is "From fashion wear only what suits you". She works it right- I bet many of your male subjects, if we saw them several days in a row, would have certain constants that they always wear. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 AM) : 

Yes! She's right. I was certain that I knew this face. Nadège, former top model.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 AM) : 

Gorgeous silhouette -- these are probably staples in her wardrobe that she can wear for years (or maybe she has been already!). The one shoulder black dress is extremely flattering and her choice of simple, classic accessories was spot-on.

 

Blogger Le Smoking said ... (10:51 AM) : 

What strong images of a woman!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

I'm getting old! Are Betty and I the only ones to remember Nadege? Nadege was a divoone model in her day -- late 80's early 90's -- the era of the "supermodels" -- though of course she wasn't in the Linda/Christy/Naomi league -- she was like Yasmeen or Karen Mulder -- beautiful women with great bodies (Yasmeen's body was brickhouse mighty mighty)who were faboo B list. It's nice to still see her still the chicest thing... models from the supermodel era...they had faces then...

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (10:52 AM) : 

She is so beautiful! I love how she goes so chic and femenin and the unexpected contrast of that style with her hair cut, splendid!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:55 AM) : 

yes she's Nadege! beautiful as always, even more if possible! Love the second dress, the print and the colors are perfect together.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:12 AM) : 

I think this lady has a great personal style, she looks elegant and relaxed and as others have pointed out very comfortable in her own skin. For those who think she could wear anything I would like to say that being super slim does not mean you can wear anything. When, i went from a very happy 6-8 (i'm 5'6") who could through on anything without really thinking about it to a stick-like 0-2 (i had been ill) i found dressing a nightmare for the first time in my life had to really think about how to dress. i had and had to re-plan my entire wardrobe largely to prevent clothes wearing me or looking like a wizened little insect or even worse like a little girl. To wear anything you need a little bit of everything - a little slenderness, a little curve (definitely curve!), a little height nice hair and a good smile...

 

Blogger Melissa W said ... (11:23 AM) : 

Yes I agree, you must wear what flatters you most. I stay in wrap dresses, becuase it works well with my shape. Plus she looks excellent.

 

Blogger natasha said ... (11:26 AM) : 

I agree, but when thin like her, its easy to adopt a style, in my opinion. Its fairly difficult to be bigger and find a way to dress yourself in a proper fashionable way, and i know from experience. Because all the models are skinny, and even the dressdolls in stores are, so when youve got some (or alot) curves, the clothes look totally different, hence alot of big(ger) people dont look comforteble. After 6 years i finally found a style, and a size most importantly that fits me and my figure.
Would like to see curved styles on sartorialst.com, for inspiration, because although i really love all the style oozing from these pages, i dont find it very inspirational for my kind of figure. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 AM) : 

She is absolutely breath-taking. Someone daring enough to wear a haircut like that and have such spot-on style obviously feels very comfortable in her skin and knows herself very well. Bravo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 AM) : 

IT IS NADEGE!
one of the most beautiful women on the face of the earth.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

two constants about nadege: she has always had the short hairstyle which keeps the attention on her beautiful face and she always dresses in feminine and fitted clothing.

i would guess that with her skin color and height, she could wear anything -except a potato sack. she isn't a skinny woman and in an era of too much cleavage and too short dresses, she remains elegant, sensible and stylish.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (12:14 PM) : 

OH MY GOD!!! Nadege is every millimeter as beautiful as she was back-in-the-day.

This silhouette is perfect on her but I do believe she could wear anything. She's tall, thin, very fit and the epitome of elegance.

Hair that short looks fantastic on a face so feminine and warm as hers. THIS is easy, breezy covergirl.

I love that she could be biracial, Latin, middle eastern, Indian or even Tahitian but I believe she's Greek. For me and girls like me seeing models like her made us feel we were seeing a homegirl in the pages of Vogue.

Nadege - I salute you!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (12:15 PM) : 

I remember Nadege too - mainly for her amazing hairstyle. Glad to see she still has that signature. Her clothing style is just as elegant and minimal.

 

Blogger Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said ... (12:35 PM) : 

I'm with Michelle, I think she could pull of pretty much and shape.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:51 PM) : 

She surely does look great in most clothes, but what I admire about these photos is how she is using the gathers in the fabric to create depth and curves.

Thanks to the folks who pointed out who she is. I was still playing with dolls when she was a super model!

 

Blogger Holden said ... (1:01 PM) : 

her strength is in knowing and loving the frame of her body - understanding the nature and structure of fabric on her form adds to the aura that she exudes. I think this is the first in a long time, that I've seen a woman so sure of her own being that it's... contagious!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:12 PM) : 

she looks wonderful, largely in part to what you have pointed out - that she knows how to dress for her body. i hardly agree that being thin and beautiful equates to having it easy in the what-to-wear department.

 

Blogger sara said ... (1:24 PM) : 

I agree...I bet just about anything would look great on her. I wish I were so genetically blessed.

 

Blogger M. said ... (1:31 PM) : 

i love her silver purse, i think it would work well with a lot of outfits

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 PM) : 

I remember Nadege de Bospherus well...she looks great, but it's Nadege...so what can you expect?

 

Blogger Couture Carrie said ... (1:50 PM) : 

Love the asymmetrical dress!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 PM) : 

The woman in the first picture is simply a goddess! She is just STRIKING! I love her androgynous but very gorgeous haircut. It suits her face quite well. As for her basic black one-shoulder strapped mini dress, CHIC CHIC CHIC!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:11 PM) : 

Nadege looks amazing! Streamlined silhouette and that gorgeously cropped hair! She proves that elegance is refusal!

 

Blogger norawoah said ... (2:12 PM) : 

she is a vision.
Timeless beauty.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (2:20 PM) : 

Nadege! She was my absolute favorite model in my formative years of reading fashion mags. She still looks fantastic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 PM) : 

beautiful!

 

Blogger Jessica said ... (2:57 PM) : 

You can tell she knows how to dress her body. Very tall and slender, she creates curves with the wrapping of the floral print and the strong diagonal of the black. She enhances the long lines with simple bold accesories. And yes, she can probably pull of more looks than someone not as thin, but she looks so comfortable in her own skin.

 

Blogger Haiku runner said ... (3:04 PM) : 

A very beautiful woman! Love the short hair!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:27 PM) : 

Anonymous @ 11:12am said it best. You definitely need to know your body and what looks good on it. I'm a 5'6" size 4, but cannot wear either lower-rise pants or empire waist tops (except when preggers), due to the fact that I actaully have curves. But I digress...
Back to this lady. It's so refreshing to see someone actually wearing clothes that work on them, rather than wearing clothes to fit a (generally) ugly trend. Save the costume-y stuff for Halloween.
And please, Sart, show more photos in this series, to give people out there inspiration.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:29 PM) : 

wow! Nadege!
she is both gorgeous and lovely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 PM) : 

it's Nadegeeee
omggg bring all the 90s models backk.. they're r so irresplacable unlike models today..

 

Blogger Filomena said ... (3:57 PM) : 

That woman is like a white canvas, you can paint anything and it will look great.

 

Blogger Karen said ... (4:15 PM) : 

WOW!

I can't think of a thing I'd do differently in either of the ensembles this woman has put together.

I wonder if she'd come and re-do my wardrobe for me?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:18 PM) : 

God, this woman is stunning.

It's just too bad she reminds me-- albeit vaguely-- of my boyfriend's ex-wife...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:20 PM) : 

Effortless Grace....

she just carries what she wears with utmost ease...!

thanks sartorialist

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:25 PM) : 

It IS Nadege! How amazing...funny but I have a strong image of her in my head in a Chanel jacket with biker shorts when Lagerfeld first came out with that look,in Vogue circa 1990! Glad she kept her hair short, seems to have forgone the Restylene, etc. Inspiring then...more so NOW!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:33 PM) : 

That woman is wonderfully gorgeous... the dresses she chooses suits her body very well. :) The bottom pic is my favorite, seems like a more subtler version of the "in" flower pattern dresses than I've seen on other women this season...real nice

 

Blogger Jessica said ... (5:42 PM) : 

See, with this one I agree with you that the silhouette is, in fact, the same. The shape of each dress is similar, and works with similar elements in her body. I still think the example was not, at all.

I get what you are trying to say, and here I think you say it quite well.

 

Blogger pringleofbelgium said ... (5:50 PM) : 

Nadege! Wow.

Does anyone know what happened to Yasmeen Ghauri? She was my favorite model growing up.

Greetings from Brussels,

Pinky

 

Blogger TLC said ... (5:54 PM) : 

Can anyone tell me whose dress that is in the bottom photo? It's stunning!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 PM) : 

Nadege still looks stunning!!!
I love her in that asymmetrical LBD!!

 

Blogger octavio cayeta said ... (6:25 PM) : 

Is she an alien? Her body is -speechless-... nonterrenal. wuau

 

Blogger Gerri Ward said ... (6:39 PM) : 

She is absolutely beautiful! I've seen her before modeling. Such great style from head to toe. Bella!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 PM) : 

She looks amazing! No complaints! A little lip color might make her look even more gorgeous.

Being thin and tall does not make it possible to wear anything, trust me. I'm thin, tall but curvy, and there are lots of things I can't wear--boxy dresses, corsets, etc. It really is just about knowing what works best for you.

It's not "simple to get dressed" because most affordable (read: mass market) stuff is so big falls off me or requires serious tailoring.

I love the fact that she doesn't need to be overly trendy to get attention. Her clothes accentuate what she's got and you're not left admiring some silly trend, just her :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 PM) : 

well both of the women you have posted have the same model bodies, tall and thin. Frankly it's one of the easiest types of body to fit and it involve very little problems with finding the right fit.

I think if you want to show people actually wearing clothes that fit their bodies best you would want to show bodies that actually have to worry about clothes looking poorly on them.

perhaps if you choose to shoot women who were not models or former models you would be able to illustrate this better.

 

Blogger john said ... (8:55 PM) : 

I love the short sexy hair! I wish more women were confident about short hair. And as this woman proves, it's incredibly feminine, stylish and sexy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 PM) : 

Nadege Dubospertus... gorgeous as ever. Would be great to see Yasmeen as well. How about it Sart? Seen her anywhere in NYC?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 AM) : 

what great hair to top it all off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 AM) : 

The silhouette definitely works for her, and as others have pointed out, yes, she does have a very fit body. Unfortunately, I feel the garments are really stock standard and unimaginative. All a bit 90's.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:10 AM) : 

Oh man, she's a killer...beauty, health, personal style and intelligence = in her these combined qualities project a powerful erotic intellectual look...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:22 AM) : 

For those that think she is simply "genetically blessed" - she might have a tallish frame and broad shoulders due to genetics, but you don't get/stay toned like that without a lot of hard work and commitment. I have a similiar build now but used to be much heavier and curvier before I made a decision to get fit in my mid 40's. People who didn't know me when I was overweight think I have always been like this and make those "its easy for you..." kind of remarks all the time. Experimenting and learning how to dress my new body shape was both scary and thrilling - the mental adjustments have taken longer than the physical ones.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:03 AM) : 

Absolutely Amazing! She has the grace of a dancer, and looks very comfortable in her skin. Very inspirational- makes me wanna cut my hair!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 AM) : 

Nadege, still so gorgeous after all these years.

 

Blogger Taru Tuomi said ... (9:16 AM) : 

oh my god what a beautiful and elegant woman.

 

Blogger so said ... (10:47 AM) : 

she still looks amazing!!
(and she's rockin' that black dress!)

only a face like that can pull off a haircut that short...

LOVE it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 AM) : 

Can anyone tell me where to get the LBD she's wearing in pic 1? Love it! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:46 PM) : 

The first silhouette is incredible, almost inhuman. What a head port! Whah

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:14 PM) : 

Beautiful...tall, thin and elegant, gorgeous neckline - she could sport a shapeless shift and still pull it off.

 

Blogger twelve.dollar.soup said ... (12:06 AM) : 

I find this woman very frightening, but her severity is breathtaking, and her style fits her perfectly.

 

Blogger Lucio said ... (6:22 AM) : 

She is Nadege, she was a model and she does advertising for Chanel or Versace in the 90's. Then she was a tv star in the french tv.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:50 PM) : 

Certainly lovely. I much prefer the first dress as I think the second one is too short and does not flatter her legs (read knees). It is amazing what a couple of more inches in hem can do for the body.

 

Blogger alterego said ... (4:24 PM) : 

She is Nadege, isn´t she?
Hello Lucio!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

It's wonderful to see Nadege again. I always studied her because she seemed mixed like me. She always had a special, very idiosyncratic, lively, healthy-seeming, joyful, mischievous charm.

She still looks fantastic, though obviously, like the rest of us, she's been through stuff. Wow, I hope we see more of her. What an inspiration!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

Knowing your strengths and your weaknesses is a life lesson that can carry far beyond fashion. This woman looks fab! That short, almost severe hairstyle wouldn't suit most people but looks incredible on her!!

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (5:41 PM) : 

Nadege still looks amazing- i sometimes wonder what happened to these models from the 'supermodel era' ...the fashion industry should take note as woman in their 30's/40's still look fabulous and no we dont all need to see teens in the magazines....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:44 PM) : 

yes, she's beautiful, and wears her clothes wonderfully. but, i would love to see some women with real figures and CURVES, not just sizes 0-2-4 stick figures....

 

Blogger Jiman Casablancas said ... (11:30 PM) : 

NADEGE!!!! Ooohh I love her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:11 AM) : 

This woman is obviously not a mere mortal and would look good in ANYTHING.

Mr Sartorialist, you obviously have a gift for taking beautiful photos of beautiful people. It would be more inspiring to feature people with obvious figure faults who have indeed found what works for their body and who therefore do variations on a theme and are happily comfortable with themselves.

Are those not the true sartorialists?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 AM) : 

those collarbones!
she's a mannequin come to life.
and the fact that she can pull off that haircut without looking forced or uncomfortable, and yet still extrememly feminine is just...magical. beautiful.

 

Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said ... (3:02 AM) : 

She gorgeous. I love her short hair.

I had hair that short when I cut all the chemicals (to make my kinky hair straight) out of my hair. Then I moved to L.A. the place where black women must have weaves. I felt so unattractive with my short hair.

She seems so confident.

 

Blogger NATRIBU said ... (5:51 AM) : 

That girl was a model long time ago... I liked her a lot. In fact, now she has the same hair style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

I think all women would like to be able to dress this way if they had the bod.

Again, nobody reads the comments before they post. Sigh.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

She is Nadege du Bospertus.

 

Blogger Tea Lady said ... (2:11 PM) : 

I agree with Sart. Some people are very good at wearing what shape/fit suits them. I'm a size 4-6 and 5'4". Some make me look a little, even on the chubby side. But the right cut and fit - I instantly look very slim. I have noticed this mostly in photo's. No, I don't need to lose weight - but to make better clothing choices.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:18 PM) : 

Sorry but I don't think she is a good example of somebody who needs to wear certain shapes to look good. Her body is a great canvas for any shape.

 

Blogger matt williams said ... (7:49 PM) : 

This woman was a really big model back in the 90's. She was on the cover of a couple international Vogues. Her name is Nadege(tp).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:07 AM) : 

yeah she's one of a kind and she rocks on Italian Next Top Model....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:49 AM) : 

Nadege has a classic 'inverted triangle' shape......wide shoulders, narrow hips, which is very common amongst models and mannequins. Designers love this shape...clothes fall from the shoulders and hang beautifully, the perfect canvas.

 

Blogger Miss Cavendish said ... (1:34 PM) : 

I love that Nadege is still wearing her super short hair (and this looks even shorter than in the 90s). She has stunning style.

 

Blogger Tai Vati said ... (5:14 PM) : 

I agree. This is why I always admired how Tom Ford wore his clothes. Very Nice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:28 AM) : 

Oooh Nadege! I remember her from back then.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:17 AM) : 

"For guys this would translate into ... or something like that"
I would like to see more photos that expand on the ... I do appreciate this blog's irreverence, but finding shapes that enhance the silhouette, for any size or gender, is something we all strive for.

 

Blogger T. K. said ... (2:02 AM) : 

Agreed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:45 PM) : 

That black dress is fantastic!--what is it?

 

Blogger jeanne said ... (4:15 PM) : 

love the lbd!

wish i could pull off the short haircut...

 

Blogger Tim McFarlane said ... (9:26 PM) : 

She's amazingly gorgeous. She's dressing for her silhouette very well and the short hair looks amazing.

 

Blogger The Future is Now said ... (3:25 PM) : 

Nadege was a huge inspiration to me growing up. It was amazing seeing such a gorgeous women of colour being featured in magazines - especially as a teen girl in the late 80's early 90's. She's still a stunning woman!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting