This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Simone, Florence

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, July 10, 2008

On the Street...Simone, Florence

Comments on "On the Street...Simone, Florence"

 

Blogger A La Femme said ... (5:30 AM) : 

Its something about him that draws me into this picture. He seems so certain of himself. I really like it!!!

 

Blogger Syed said ... (6:34 AM) : 

Love the braces peeking in from underneath and those suede shoes are perfect!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:34 AM) : 

Perfect.

 

Blogger The Year in Pictures said ... (6:42 AM) : 

Love the moodiness and the color palette of this picture. The gust of wind. And the confidence of the subject. Great photograph!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:26 AM) : 

My conclusion after reading your blog is that man can be handsome and "chic" at any age, but women must remain very young ...

 

Blogger dark_horse said ... (7:37 AM) : 

it should be against the law to look sooooo good. mon dio! che bello!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 AM) : 

Mariana, there are frequently "older" women featured in this blog.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:55 AM) : 

Sart, you are back in stride. I am feeling you. Men in suits is definately your strong suit. Keep them coming.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:01 AM) : 

Clip on braces?

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (8:02 AM) : 

I have to say, you achieved the portraiture lighting effect that Anne Leibovitz (sp?) gets for Vanity Fair articles, and you get it with (presumably) less equipment and fewer assistants. Great picture! I like the suit, even though it seems like the pinstripes on the right sleeve dont quite match the stripes on the body? Also, this pic should put the debate to rest on whether brown shoes can be worn with a dark suit, if the shoes are high quality and dressy enough, they go! I am sure someone will point out that this gentleman "dresses to the right" and the slacks are cut just so. Great outfit! Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:06 AM) : 

Excuse me. I'm not normally one to nitpick these pics to death. I don't worry about an eighth of an inch of cuff, etc.

I can't forgive clip-on suspenders. The suit is great. The pant length, the shoes, the beard, even the cigar are all wonderful. Then he killed it all by using clip-ons.

Ugh.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:07 AM) : 

There's a slight John Malkovich air to this gent.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 AM) : 

I love the clothes, the attitude and the composition of the photo. But how in the world can he stand to wear a jacket and tie in summer in Florence? I think of the Wall Street guys out for lunch, whose shirts show big circles of sweat within minutes of being out of the A/C. I know Florence isn't as humid as NYC, and A/C is rare, so you don't feel that blast when you go outside. But still, a jacket!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:13 AM) : 

This look makes me want to trust him with my money.

 

Blogger Miguel said ... (8:15 AM) : 

It is a beautiful street, the old buildings, and the style, the freshness, the tie blown by the wind and the confidence... perfect picture. I love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:49 AM) : 

Can we talk about the CLIP-ON suspenders/braces??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:11 AM) : 

Yes to the suit, shirt, tie and cigarillo. Clip- on suspenders are only for farmers, clowns and children. The shoes must be slimmer. The facial hair gives this otherwise handsome man a schnauzer-like quality.

 

Blogger stacy said ... (9:14 AM) : 

are you carrying that wind machine around with you again?

well done.

 

Blogger Brooke Williams said ... (9:21 AM) : 

the mood and lighting of this shot is incredibly intriguing. and the tie? wow. love, love, love it.

 

Blogger Anthony said ... (9:27 AM) : 

i love this.

one of your best.

 

Blogger InStudio Blog said ... (9:30 AM) : 

A quintessential sartorialist shot! You can retire now.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:34 AM) : 

This pic is awesome. Perfection!

 

Blogger The Domina said ... (9:38 AM) : 

The look is very good, but I would really love it if his trousers were just a little bit longer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:40 AM) : 

Are those clip-on suspenders or is that an exposed button?

 

Blogger Demosthenes said ... (9:44 AM) : 

Mariana, don't really think that's true. I just migrated here from Facehunter and similar youth/street style oriented blogs, but I've seen some photos of older women who look amazingly elegant. It might simply be the look he's going for: younger women might be more willing to experiment with the type of dress that this blog focuses on, whereas older men might be more inclined towards, frankly, the "old man" style that this blog seems to idolize. I don't see that many men pictured here who fit my age category, and frankly, I don't think I'll be starting my epic wardrobe of suits anytime soon (what with my only graduating next year), but yes. This blog has a particular look and style that it focuses on, and perhaps certain age groups are more inclined towards that style? But I certainly don't think it's absolute:
http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/2006/11/lauren-hutton-at-calvin-klein.html

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 AM) : 

Is there a trend in Europe of men's pants that are too short? For me, the "highwaters" totally ruin the otherwise elegant effect. Comments?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:08 AM) : 

I've often read people's comments stating "this is my favorite photo". I couldn't understand how anyone could have a "favorite" until now. This is mine. Everything about it is so beautiful; I want to matte it and frame it and hang it on my wall! . . and p.s. it is one of my personal ambitions to be chic at any age!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 AM) : 

You've captured something gorgeous in his expression. Of course, also in the tie.

 

Blogger Kelly said ... (10:59 AM) : 

I don't get why everyone is hating on the suspenders. I, for one, love them on him and as part of the whole ensemble. As a general rule, I don't think they work; however, as a general rule, I think that fashion should have no rules! If someone can make something work, then it simply works.

Aside from that, the rich chocolate color of his suit is divine, and it pairs deliciously well with the navy of his tie. The gust is the perfect touch to the slightly windblown look. Superbly handsome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:14 AM) : 

Another tremendous shot! So atmospheric. The light, the perspective, the coloring, the tone, the gust of wind. Crazy!

And a handsome stylish man (though I do prefer trousers a little longer. Either have them break or go short a la Cortina). Lovely collar on the shirt.

Mariana: two of the most stylish women photographed on this blog are Renata and that lovely white-haired Swedish model. I do think that increasingly the women photographed are uniformly thin and, despite being 5'11" and US size 4 myself, I'd like to see a broader range of body types represented (for both men and women). IMHO, style is not attached to beauty or slenderness. Some of the models I know have zero personal style despite/because of being in the industry. Ditto some of the other industry folks. Iekelene Stange, though, has amazing--if sometimes rather odd--personal style. I'd love Scott to catch a shot of her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Sorry to pile on, but the clip on braces are a mistake with such a lovely suit.
Also, he does a disservice to a really nice shirt by not using a collar stay.
Nice grooming. Hair, beard are sharp.
I like the color of the shoes, but I think that suede works better with casual styles.
I'm surprised that he's not wearing a pocket square. Considering the trend of recent photos featuring pocket squares, this guy is guy is a rebel! :-)

 

Blogger AMANDA said ... (11:18 AM) : 

Aww come on, the shoes!? I can get over the braces attachment - so minor and hidden, the trouser length (I know, it's the way), the cuffed trouser leg (I'm just not a fan)....

But scroll, look at the bottom half on it's own and tell me that those aren't Professor Gellar shoes!
They are not dressy enough to go with this suit.

V. well shot photo, just wish it was balanced.

 

Blogger Weekend Players said ... (11:22 AM) : 

The suspenders reminds me of how father dressed. I love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 AM) : 

Yummy! Elegant, relaxed and stylish. A subtle contrapposto.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 AM) : 

The Sartorialist has shown many times over, some very "chic", elegant and stylish women. Check out the archives....

 

Blogger Karen said ... (12:00 PM) : 

Yow! Now that's more like it. I'd prefer the pants about an inch longer, and no cigar, but otherwise, very nice.

 

Blogger Nicole said ... (12:04 PM) : 

love , love ,love , this is my favorite yet! he has a look that says "I know something that , you do not!"
superb

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 PM) : 

Great shoes! Wonder where they are from...? Also love the goatee.. This dude exudes coolness.

 

Blogger starbahks said ... (1:01 PM) : 

He's ridiculously handsome.

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (1:12 PM) : 

He's the type of guy who I'd stare at then enter a full blush when he caught me. Really. I love the contrasting texture and "history" of this shoes, his beard, which is that of someone adventurous. Even down to how he's knotted his tie, and the stripes on his shirt. Wow. I love how you've caught him in motion. He looks very dashing.
Ok. Crush over.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

Oh, yeah, this works for me. He looks like an interesting fellow, to boot.

Elsewhere, I have decided to be against pegged trousers with two inch cuffs. I see it and I just want to throttle the person wearing them. Something about this look just rubs me wrong. We'll have none of it. Fie on't, ah fie!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 PM) : 

This is great (beyond the obvious reasons) because it doesn't look photoshopped. I love the warm white balance and perfect depth (not too shallow).
Regarding the man himself, I love the shoes, tie, and cigar. Together they all remind me that this guy is human. Very nice portrait overall :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:27 PM) : 

beautiful man and beautiful clothes.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (1:27 PM) : 

He looks great even though I don't dig the length of the pants. I love his windswept tie and his masculine stance and expression. I love the suit and don't mind the clip-on suspenders, even though on paper they sound cheesy.

He's so handsome and debonaire. So sexy.

Mariana, you don't tune in very often apparently 'cause Sart gets some REALLY OLD women up in here (I'm talkin' gray-haired, orthopedic-shoe-wearing, cane-totin' ladies) and they look fantastic! THOSE GRANNIES ROCK SUPPORT HOSE!

I will say however that the ratio certainly leans toward more older men than women - per capita. Sart, you could work on evening that ratio out just a bit.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:40 PM) : 

suspenders- yes
clip on- never

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:44 PM) : 

I love the juxtaposition of the tough-ish goatee with the polished suit. So sexy. And proof that men can look swell with gray in their beards!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:05 PM) : 

....also love the bike peeking out on the left hand side.....

 

Blogger david santos said ... (2:27 PM) : 

Wonderful!!!

 

Blogger fluor said ... (2:35 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Blogger ricola said ... (2:45 PM) : 

An incredible air of Timelessness.

 

Blogger LordGQ said ... (2:50 PM) : 

Is it only me or the pants are too short? and the shoes? I like the idea of suspenders though...

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (3:37 PM) : 

This is a beautiful picture Sart. I'm loving all the browns, the light, his attitude. Really interesting.

 

Blogger Cesare said ... (3:45 PM) : 

Well, there is something wrong: suspenders (metal), pants length (but only because they are also too wide), rough suede shoes with pin-stripe suit, BUT: can anyone say that he's not smart?

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (3:46 PM) : 

I think the shoes make this man's outfit. They are so rugged and worn, yet his suit is so crisp and professional. His shoes tell so much about him as a person.

 

Blogger O!Lightning said ... (3:51 PM) : 

confidence: is there anything sexier? He rocks.

 

Blogger dominicandandy said ... (4:02 PM) : 

My grandfather wore clip-on suspenders in his later years. My father wore clip on suspenders until he spotted me with my Albert Thurston braces. He then went to my tailor and had several pants made with suspender buttons.
I cannot condemn those who choose to clip because other than that, the gentleman in the picture is very sharp(as was my grandfather). However, the floating waist of button suspenders is so much cleaner.

 

Blogger Ammie said ... (4:13 PM) : 

The lighting in this photograph is just perfect, and the background has me daydreaming at my desk about walking down that narrow alley myself.

Lovely suit, but do have to agree with the negative clip on commentary here. Love clip ons, but only on my father (who was a farmer, hunter, and outdoorsman!)

Still, it doesn't ruin the look for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 PM) : 

I´ts something about the eyes that makes this guy look so gorgeous.
/Ghost

 

Blogger Will Anderson said ... (4:48 PM) : 

I love the outfit but I'm not a fan of the shoes. I love the cut on the pants. I couldn't do it and maybe thats why i love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:24 PM) : 

This is perfect- clothes, atmosphere, subject. Very few men have this incredible mystique about them, but this gentlemen has it in spades. He looks like he know things, dangerous things that make you want more.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:18 PM) : 

A shot from the sartorialist was featured in the style section of the wall street journal today, illustrating an article about higher-hemmed men's pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:20 PM) : 

beautiful shot! i love how his tie caught the breeze...

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (8:00 PM) : 

Very nice photo!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (8:21 PM) : 

monique
thanks for your kind words

the ratio of old women to old men to will probably even out when fewer old women resort to plastic surgery

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:11 PM) : 

Normally I detest pinstripes, but I really like this. Must ponder that.

 

Blogger Candace said ... (10:23 PM) : 

Love this...the expression on his face, the wind-blown tie, and his confident stance all work wonders for this photo.

I'm becoming a big fan of a nice brown suit! :)

 

Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said ... (10:36 PM) : 

I'm in love!

 

Blogger zuccotto said ... (11:21 PM) : 

I like the photo, I like the fellow's presence, his clothes, his shoes. I think the suspenders and clips are amusing. Love the tie flip...

 

Blogger madameshawshank said ... (1:45 AM) : 

never be afraid of grey!

never be afraid of your face!

sart how I agree with you about the plastic surgery...

so many faces now movementless as a result of surgery...to end up looking like clown versions of ET..

'n by the way..oh those eyes!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 AM) : 

The way the wind wisks his tie is oddly romantic and definitely captivating. The dramatic touch adds much to an already impressive ensemble.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 AM) : 

great shot, awesome moment caught. but the outfit is hideous - the shoes: yikes!! ruin the whole outfit, as if the way too short pants didn't do already....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 AM) : 

great

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:00 AM) : 

Such a charisma. It's breath-taking.

I'm just disappointed by the shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 PM) : 

The clothes are great. Very Florentine, but what seems to go against type is his sticky thatchy hair- I really like it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:29 PM) : 

i love when people wear clothes that are just right for them. this suit matches him so well, not mention the handsome appeal.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:34 PM) : 

Just perfect

 

Blogger mark s said ... (7:00 PM) : 

great pic, great outfit except for one of my pet peeves -- fake accessories -- I hate the clip-on suspenders, clip-on bow ties, and belts with suspenders - If one wants to use suspenders, have buttons sewn into your pants & use a pair of real beautiful rich, colorful, quirky suspenders with leather tabs.

 

Blogger www.rcwoolley.com said ... (11:03 PM) : 

This is a beautiful photograph

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:47 AM) : 

His shoes were the last thing my eyes saw and I really really liked the photo up until the shoes. And then when I saw the shoes, I loved the photo and loved loved loved the man.

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (1:57 AM) : 


"the ratio of old women to old men to will probably even out when fewer old women resort to plastic surgery"


Amen. And also let themselves go grey, and accept the natural changes of their bodies.

 

Blogger LuLu124 said ... (10:19 AM) : 

absolutely perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

I'm intrigued by howling his jacket is, and the relationship with the short boy-Ish pants. I always advise my clients to only buy a jacket that ends at the thumb or above. But some how the balance of the ensemble works! I think we can all respect a man thatbknows how to break the rules with class.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 AM) : 

i just can't get enough of this picture! i can't get enough! just can't get enough! just can't...can't!

 

Blogger AnnaCatherineQ said ... (11:21 AM) : 

brilliant photograph! the movement of the tie and the scenery. gorgeous. that man is aging exceptionally well ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 AM) : 

ooh...he makes my tummy turn...in a good way!
Def one of your best, the light, the atmosphere, the wind, the colours...perfect!
I want to be there..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:46 PM) : 

I think enough has been said about the clip-on braces. I understand that there are many sides to fashion as, in many ways, it is a depiction of one's personality. But, if he was trying to achieve a classic look, why he chose them escapes my understanding. Hopefully he reads this blog!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:02 PM) : 

..but his trousers are too short! I know a lot of people have bought into the Thom Browne emperor's-new-clothes thing, but trousers that are too short make you look like an idiot. period. Just because a suit has been well-made by hand doesn't make it good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:12 PM) : 

Are some of you people acutally saying this man is old? I take umbrage with that.

Just how old do you think he is? I'm guessing 48, 50, 52.

I think he's adorable. I love his shoes, they mean he's sensible too. I'd blush just being in the same room as him.

 

Blogger Poochie said ... (7:04 AM) : 

He reminds me of Mandy Patinkin (you know, Inigo Montoya "You killed my father, prepare to die").

He has a good looking mouth.

Luv
Poochie

 

Blogger Poochie said ... (7:09 AM) : 

Also, I don't mind the clip on braces, pant length or shoes. The material of the suit (and the way he is wearing it) seems sort of "casual-ed" down. Hence, those choices and the slightly mussed hair and softer collar.

To me he looked dapper but not uncomfortable or stiff. Good for slightly warmer weather or a later day in the week.

Just my impressions.

Luv
Poochie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 PM) : 

love the shot. love the shoes. pants too short for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:53 PM) : 

Braces with metal clips? Not perfect.

 

Blogger Citizen Kane said ... (2:59 AM) : 

I just don't like the trousers design...not very personal

 

Blogger corrado said ... (7:22 AM) : 

Clips on suspenders are impossible unless you know what you're doing. I reckon the man wears a Liverano suit which proves that he really does know. He can afford being not too seriuos anyway.

 

Blogger Grass said ... (3:41 PM) : 

Killer shot dude.

 

Blogger Peteykins said ... (8:30 PM) : 

Late comment on this one, but all the squirming on the clip-on suspenders confirm to me that they are a big, fat YES and I will wear some tomorrow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 AM) : 

Since I love to wear clip-on suspenders myself I can only say: Yes! Caroline

 

Anonymous Chris said ... (7:31 PM) : 

I find braces so comfortable that I don't really care whether they are clip-on or button. My pants hang better, and only my nearest and dearest knows what kind I am wearing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 AM) : 

just love the braces

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting