This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Drama Queen, Milano

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

On the Street....Drama Queen, Milano



Comments on "On the Street....Drama Queen, Milano"

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (9:11 AM) : 

Love the 2nd and 3rd outfits, for some reason I am not very attracted to party dresses, unless you can really see the construction. Interestingly enough, we cannot see a handbag in any of the 3 pics, although a cell phone is present in 2. Maybe that is the secret of her chicness, that she is not, what I call, "hobbled by her possessions" as we often are with a briefcase, gym bag, lunch box, etc. Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:13 AM) : 

love the hue of the yellow dress, and also the bracelet - although it may be a small detail i think it does add something extra

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:15 AM) : 

lovely! those black strappy shoes were a good investment ! : ) i think they'd look more than good with anything.

 

Blogger Melissa W said ... (9:19 AM) : 

OH MY!!! I love the first pic! The fussy dressy, great shoes and casual hair. This girl has got great style! She wears the dress in the first pic like it's a pair of jeans on a sunday afternoon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:21 AM) : 

The structures of all three dresses are absolutely perfect. I think structure is the thing that captures me most about clothing; it's a major part in transforming clothes from a mere covering to an art, or a reflection of your personality. This woman looks incredible, I think this is my favorite post in a long, long time. I would dress like this every single day if I had the means, she is FABULOUS.

Could anyone enlighten me as to who the girl in the background of picture 1 is? She's always on here, and I think she's incredible, too. She reminds me of Leslie Feist.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 AM) : 

In the fashion wasteland where I work, your inspiring pictures keep me sane! What a striking woman - truly comfortable with her sense of style.
Keep up the wonderful work!

 

Blogger william said ... (9:30 AM) : 

If it wasn't for you I would never have fallen in love with Anna Dello Russo's exquisite sense of style! I absolutely adore her. I like how you rarely photograph her posing; keep it up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 AM) : 

So much style, so little time. This woman always nails it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 AM) : 

It's interesting to see the personalities of the beautiful woman in each dress, the first is completely adorable and the personality is much softer in that dress than the second, in which she seems to own the look and coming from center in her stride, her amazing energy in the third picture seems inspired from the dress's lively hue and perfit fit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:56 AM) : 

drama queen indeed! but as long as it's presented this way - great! not a huge fan of the first dress tho. looks a bit like a big plastic bag wrapped together to form a dress...

the yellow dress is absolutely awesome!

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (9:58 AM) : 

Simplifying would have been a good idea here. There's a little too much going on in each, particularly all the jewelry in the middle and bottom photos and the jewelled shoes with the saffron dress. Two nice dresses but the style ends up looking overwraught.
She herself doesn't look comfortable in the dress in the top photo.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (10:00 AM) : 

Another one who knows what suits her - showing off those legs in sky-high heels!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (10:07 AM) : 

ADR has such inspirational style! Maybe because of her lack of makeup and undone hair, she always makes it look effortless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 AM) : 

super fierce...love the lanvin love the dolce love it all

 

Blogger Coryn said ... (11:12 AM) : 

I wish more people would be bold with fashion, like this. I feel people are just so blah. I love when people just explore themselves by being loud with fashion. I think it's great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

mon dieu, please give me this woman's legs, bank account, social life, etc! love those shoes in the bottom photo.

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (11:28 AM) : 

she has a great figure and can pull off anything.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 AM) : 

This is not a derogatory comment on bodies, as I believe in real women, real bodies and she has sexy legs.

But notice that all three dresses are tightly tapered around the waist but high up. It covers the roundness of her belly (picture three). This is a woman who is very aware of her own body and knows how to both accentuate and hide her figure where it pleases her and thus is comfortable enough to carry herself confidently.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (11:53 AM) : 

Ain't no nit to pick here. Is that the same woman in all 3? Girl!

She's perfect and I'm sure you've shot her before.

I LOVE the frilly, girly first dress with the sort of butch (in comparison) shoes. The black dress is so rockin'. And that yellow frock with those bad-ass shoes. I'd wear everything here and really I'm so not girly and I have no place to wear that top dress to but I don't give a damn, I want it.

Her hair, her nude face (always my favorite) her I'm-on-my-way strut and her great smile are crazy beautiful. Usually I'm more excited by unique, funky street style but these pictures blew my head off. I hope they can sew it back on.... I need my eyes and my mouth and my nose.

She's a Sartorialist all star. A full on 10!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:01 PM) : 

Loved the yellow dress. I would recommend the Dior Gladiator sandals rather than the lovely ones she is wearing...but still, amazing look
The first girl is also superstylish!!! Great photos!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

what a beautiful risk-taker. the best part is that she looks so delighted to be wearing those clothes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:26 PM) : 

I find her style kind of exhausting...it's very statementy. What i find incongrous is her hair; i feel if she is going to wear these impressive dresses she should do more with her hair than let it hang loose, a chignon perhaps or some kind of up-do, for me it would look more sophisticated.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:32 PM) : 

Love Anna De La Russo..!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 PM) : 

When your a stylist for Italian Vogue...Its easy to obtain those looks...She always looks amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

Contrary to popular opinion I like the second picture the most. To be honest I do not fancy the other 2. Its just not elegant and sexy to me. The dress on its own in picture 1 is great, but the attitude I dont like. And the 3rd picture.... Is that policeman in the background there on purpose?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM) : 

I was just in Milan, but only say people wearing tiny jeans shorts and tank tops..

Went to a wedding and would love some comments on the bride's dress. Put a detail picture on my blog (the text is unfortunately in Swedish, though). Welcome! And thanks for all the inspiration here!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:11 PM) : 

They're very pretty dresses but somehow.. I think OK, she can get a D&G or Lanvin dress and wear with the same kind of heels most everyone in the fashion world is wearing, that's nice.. Don't get me wrong, she does look great, but then if you are a fashion editor what is risky about a dress from a collection everyone likes and big strappy designer heels, now?

 

Blogger A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing said ... (1:11 PM) : 

stunning! so delightful to see someone utilizing color, the yellow dress is stunning on her!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:23 PM) : 

a bit too much for the day, no?

 

Blogger Sarah @ Designs Good said ... (1:29 PM) : 

gorgeous dresses (sans the 1st), and gorgeous legs! can someone tell me who makes the sandals in the 1st and 2nd pics?

 

Blogger Linda said ... (1:34 PM) : 

The first dress reminds me of something SJP would wear in Sex and the City.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:38 PM) : 

...does anyone else see a resemblance to SJP's Carrie Bradshaw?

 

Blogger Johanne said ... (1:40 PM) : 

The first dress is gorgeous! The drama-dress... Do you know where it's from?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:43 PM) : 

I aspire to dress like this, and my bank account aspires to afford it.

 

Blogger LRB said ... (1:54 PM) : 

I love this girl and everything about her from the outside. She looks like a storybook novel in each photo, especially the last one in that marigold dress.

 

Blogger LRB said ... (1:55 PM) : 

She looks like a storybook novel in each photo, especially the last one in that marigold dress. I'm assuming it's the same girl in all 3?

 

Blogger Electric Electic said ... (2:01 PM) : 

LOVE the saffron/honeyed yellow colored dress. It's so fluid, very beautiful. The party dress looks a bit young for her, cute yes but too young. The shoes are to die for though, they are so edgy and paired with the dress, the entire looks is magnificent!

 

Blogger Eunice said ... (2:22 PM) : 

Oh! That first dress...

 

Blogger clarissa said ... (2:28 PM) : 

Love these outfits. Her shoes are amazing.

The only thing is that her posture looks like it's terrible - one of those girls whose body can rock the outfit but doesn't stand up straight. Maybe it's just the picture? But I very much believe that the way you hold yourself is just as important as what you're wearing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:28 PM) : 

My first thought with that first outfit was 'Carrie Bradshaw'

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:28 PM) : 

Anna Dello Russo... such a style maven! I would love to camp out in her closet! I love the canary yellow Lanvin dress! It looks great on her. As for the Dolce and Gabbana fairy-tale number, save it for the editorials darling. That is not a daywear dress.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:34 PM) : 

I wanna be rich and famous so I can dress like that with impunity. xD

Well, never mind... rich and famous people's wardrobes are often scrutinized and criticized...

I like #2 for it's interesting construction, #3 is daring but well-done, and sorry, but #1 just looks silly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:37 PM) : 

She is a vision. I am happy the woman are atarting to step thing up on here again. I was VERY worried about them, Sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:38 PM) : 

pic 1 - all I see is those gorgeous shoes. the dress makes her look too short.

pic 2 - too much black for day. she could have picked a more feminine scarf.

pic 3 is not a very flattering picture for her figure. her stomach is bulging but the dress and shoes are nice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:19 PM) : 

I love the black dress best. The saffron color is also great, but I agree that she is dressing slightly too young for herself, which may be the problem with the hair too. The strappy shoes however, are terrific.

 

Blogger Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said ... (3:46 PM) : 

Gosh I love them all. So gorgeous!

 

Blogger S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said ... (4:12 PM) : 

1 and 3 are perfection.

 

Blogger CULTURE CREATORS said ... (4:12 PM) : 

WOW, that yellow is FANTASTIC!!!!




xCC

 

Blogger twelve.dollar.soup said ... (5:01 PM) : 

As someone who's an avid party-dress wearer, I have to admire her crazy lovely dressy style--especially the first dress. Impeccable! The last dress is a gorgeous color (and the ridiculous puffy sleeves make me drool with glee). The middle one, though, lacks character and kind of makes her look like she has a short, stocky torso when she's clearly quite emaciated.

That said, it is her *job* to look stylish, so I don't give her as many props as I would if she were a stipended grad student in astrophysics.

 

Blogger Maggie May said ... (5:05 PM) : 

love, love the first dress. a fantas y spun into reality. love the nude face, big sunglasses and long straight hair. i'm really into brown hair on girls, so gorgeous.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (5:22 PM) : 

How can you people criticize this chick? Seriously. Picture #1) Okay it's day but she was probably on her way to an event that required something this extravagant. I doubt she was wearing this dress to pick her kid up from daycare.

And those of you complaining that her hair needs to be up... she's not running for Miss America. IMO hair and make-up are far more chic when they're natural looking. She looks comfortable and at ease even in these clothes. That's something you're born with. That's sexy.

And those of you who write her off because she's a fashion editor and she should dress well. Let us not forget the likes of Rachel Zoe, a woman who has her pick of the most expensive clothes out there and still looks cheap. Having a business card with the word fashion on it doesn't mean you inherently have good style.

Bad posture? Come on. Bite my ass. She rocks.

And her pouch in the yellow dress? There isn't an ounce of fat on this girl. It's the picture, the moment, the way the fabric gathered, she moving.

And lastly, yeah, it's all "fashionable" (a word a lot of us here hate) but what makes her chic are the details - the natural face, the just-got-laid hair, the sweet smile - HER. These outfits on, say, Nicole Kidman with an up-do and glamour make-up wouldn't be nearly as chic IMO.

I only know who she is because of this blog. I couldn't care less about her or other rich Europeans who work in the fashion industry. My defending her is simply about what I see here. Full on perfection.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:29 PM) : 

She is truly a unique specimen on her own and then you add the dresses--then, ZOWWEEE!! Her inward and outward expression must send the Geiger off the charts!
Although I am not a big fan of the first ensemble (seems too early for this look), the other two are very flattering and set her off quite nicely. A svelte, chic, gorgeous female tower she is!---HB

 

Blogger ellastica said ... (5:35 PM) : 

i rarely lust after shoes (esp not ones on the feet of fashion editors) but those picasso-esque YSL shoes are works of art! bravo.

 

Blogger Laura said ... (5:56 PM) : 

shes like the real-life version of Carrie from SATC. love that first dress, what a confection!

 

Blogger OndrejS said ... (6:10 PM) : 

Sad to say but this is just so not my style. The Dolce&Gabbana dress is of course gorgeous. But in my opinion this is just not the way to wear it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:27 PM) : 

i love the lanvin. beautiful.

 

Blogger Karen said ... (7:02 PM) : 

Poofy, poofy, poofy! Reminds me of those old books with fairy illustrations -- the rainbow fairy, the black tulip fairy, the daffodil fairy. Not for me, thanks, but for dressing-up occasions, it's amusing.

 

Blogger JO said ... (7:07 PM) : 

SHOES! I love the SHOES!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:23 PM) : 

She looks fab !
I kind of want to wear party dresses everyday now.

 

Blogger TIG said ... (9:50 PM) : 

This is such a great series -- the bright yellow is beautiful.

 

Blogger Ammie said ... (11:14 PM) : 

Love love love that yellow dress! Gorgeous.

Ditto sromeo @ 9:21. Structure is key (and I would also love to dress this way if I had the means).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 PM) : 

Love her bold style and great gams.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 AM) : 

Just to clarify for everyone, ADR wore the top (Dolce & Gabbana) dress on the first day of Milan Men's fashion week this past June. The first show was Costume National and began at 11:00m. A bit much for day, perhaps, but remember this is the fashion sets equivalent to the first day of school. You want to wear your best outfit!

 

Blogger hannah said ... (12:42 AM) : 

she wears beautiful clothes in so many of the photos you've taken of her, but the thing that always ruins it for me is her posture -- she's wearing peices that need a certain regal attitude, and instead she's slumping.

 

Blogger zuccotto said ... (2:06 AM) : 

I've no interest in any of these three photos. Waves hand.

 

Blogger Jennifer Camp Forbes said ... (4:56 AM) : 

that yellow dress!!!

.be still my heart.

 

Blogger Olviya said ... (8:06 AM) : 

all the looks are amaizing)
but, 1-st is too iconic. DG dress were absolutely everywhere this summer, so its very easy.
i like clever fashion - when you really look for smth, mixing...

and the yellow - great choice! very summer)

 

Blogger k said ... (10:27 AM) : 

so SJP!

 

Blogger Ryan said ... (11:04 AM) : 

She had great style! And she is ballsy for wearing that party dress. Im not a fan of it but she owns the look and makes me love the dress!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 AM) : 

I agree with Monique's comment above. Back off people!!! This woman has great style and there is not one bad fashion faux pas here!!

I would love to see what all these people writing negative comments are wearing at this very moment as they type away!

I love all three shots Sart!! You have such a great eye for fashionably dressed women! This woman in particular is simply FAB!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (11:13 AM) : 

Amazing looks! My favourite is the first one!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM) : 

I think she looks great in all three(though I'd never wear the first) Like Carine, she usually looks chic. American women are in a rut thinking a woman of middle age should not wear this or that or wear their hair long. If you have the figure, the confidense and good taste, go for it!

 

Blogger Miss Cavendish said ... (2:56 PM) : 

I'm loving the saffron/goldenrod yellow. So lovely and bright against the cobbled streets.

 

Blogger Da Fashionista said ... (9:12 PM) : 

gorg confections that don't look precious. delicious!

 

Blogger Sarah-Louise said ... (9:36 PM) : 

Absolutely loving the dresses, they ooze so much casual glamour and sophistication. I want some!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 AM) : 

What I love about this marvellous woman (spare me the 'girl' bit, it's an insult to her) is that she's one of the few fashionistas who looks like her work is her play. Of course she should wear party dresses and high heels for everyday! She totally owns her outfits in all the pix and looks effortless and fun .And speaking as a very paleskinned person living in a tan-obsessed society who loves colours like saffron yellow, I'm so encouraged! Bless her.
I too am putting in an order for an invisible bag. I believe it's called a chauffeur driven car.

 

Blogger nyc/caribbean ragazza said ... (7:33 AM) : 

those shoes!!! esp. in the last pic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:33 AM) : 

This is a great example of someone that isnt classically "beautiful" but with great poise, elegance and style she truly becomes something else. These pictures shows fashion in its true power, transformation.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 AM) : 

I also agree with Monique's comments. Why so catty, people? Are you jealous? Are you sitting there typing away in your Nine West shoes and your Ann Taylor jeans thinking you take the cake? Boo on you for not recognizing someone who has style AND doesn't need anyone else to tell them what's fashionable and what isn't. This is a woman who SETS the trends, not follows them. What she wears today, others will be wearing tomorrow . . .

Oh, and by the way, I am younger than Anna Dello Russo, but I wish I looked this good. The body, the clothes, the style - I don't know how she keeps up with it all, but she's getting exactly what she's gone after: one complete package that she has precisely detailed from head to toe. Bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:24 PM) : 

Fashion world's most over rated virtue: "efortlessness".

Anna della russo's style is amazing and her own. The one thing it is NOT is effortless. And that is a good thing! Here is a woman who loves fashion and puts a lot of thought into the way she dresses... Good for her! I only wish I could spend one day of my life in any one of these outfits!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:51 PM) : 

ha! i just noticed the officer in the yellow pic and it's such a great juxtaposition--her with the inverted body and the right leg back and him with the outward bulging body and gait as well as the left leg forward. nice.
~m.edwin

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:10 PM) : 

Carrie Bradshaw much? She even slightly resembles SJP.
I adore the first pic, the Dolce dress is incredible, the construction is so perfect- it looks wild and funky and a little bit crazy whilst still flattering her figure. I love the artists brushstroke trend, and this blog tends to showcase wonderful personal style most of the time, so it's refreshing to see a bright, fresh trend.
That said, I somehow get annoyed by personal stylke like that of this woman- or lack thereof.
She is clearly very wealthy, and so has obviously simply marched into stores and bought the newest high fashions. There's little mixing and matching going on here (although I think the use of this season's 'statement' shoes is a shallow attempt at adding depth to the outfits, little personal style showing through. She looks like she's marched off a catwalk, and not in a good way.
It appears to me that no personal thought has gone into this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

ugh, the first dress... to die for.
i also agree w/Monique on the hair & make-up. I like her better au natural.

and to commenter @ 6:10, i respectfully disagree with your statement - she's creative director for Vogue Nippon... i highly doubt she "simply marched into stores and bought the newest high fashions."
You make her sound like a pawn of the fashion game, when conversely, she's an influence.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

I like it! What do you want?! She looks great, confident, attractive and energetic. And the dresses seem to suit her personality. It's really refreshing to see someone who doesn't try to look effortless and just ends up looking bland. There're really way too many people out there looking just boring. And who says someone with money can't have style. I think here's a lot of jealousy going on.

 

Blogger Hannah said ... (10:53 AM) : 

I love all of these, especially the first and second. The first is really interesting, there's lots going on with the dress and I love the brushstroke print. The second dress is just a great classic.

But I hate this woman for having those Louboutins! I am seriously lusting over them.

 

Blogger londondog said ... (3:20 PM) : 

I adore Anna della Russo. She has such a strong almost Amazonian quality to her. I do hope she does not fall for next season's longer hemlines. The legs, the statement shoes are such trademarks that I'd hate to see them go!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 AM) : 

I'm suprised that noone is seeing those 4'in hills she has on, but that dress is a vibrant color. Walking on those cobble stones are quite uncomfortable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

Love the black strappy shoes of the first two outfits, they especially add a little something to the black dress and make the outfit look uber cool!

 

Blogger Penelophe said ... (12:18 PM) : 

The 2nd outfits is gorgious.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

Always the fashion conscious and daring. Who else would wear all the designers' ideas and suggestions? But Anna! Love her!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:27 PM) : 

Very Carrie Bradshaw-ish in a certain way....but more chic! I love the 1st dress and the shoes in the 3rd picture, they're beautifully detailed :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 AM) : 

wow she looks fabulous! i have recently taken a liking to the color yellow after purchasing some yellow trousers in milan. and i can't believe i was in milan when this was taken! sadly i never ran into the sartorialist :(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

I love the yellow one !

 

Blogger SWANclothing said ... (9:53 PM) : 

gotta love the drama queens : )

 

Blogger N icole said ... (10:57 AM) : 

Simply stunning :) 2nd one got it all though :) that shoes its a simply must have :D

 

Blogger Someone said ... (5:50 PM) : 

When I first saw the first picture, I was sure it was Carrie Bradshaw! Maybe I'm a little too obsessed with that show... That dress really reminds me of a Dolce and Gabbana dress I once lusted after, A/W08 I think.
I have a dress exactly like in the second photo, except in a forest green color.

 

Anonymous Medina said ... (12:45 PM) : 

I own this yellow dress, it's YSL. I bought it after after seeing it on Chloe Sevigny. But I've never seen it looking so beautiful! The movement is amazing and the colour against the paving stones that Carabinieri is just stunning! I love that she removed the frills from the bottom, it makes it a lot less "flamenco doll", I might do that too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:12 AM) : 

Carrie Bradshaw wanna be.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting