This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Finally.....My Favorite Shot From London

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, July 21, 2008

Finally.....My Favorite Shot From London


Sometimes the business of running a blog can affect the day-to-day of blogging.

On my recent trip to London I was able to find a few good shots (even though it rained for hours everyday). However, something fell-thru on my GQ page so I had to switch those trip images to the magazine.

Since GQ just hit the stands I can finally post this image.

What I love about this shot is its timelessness.

Not that it is so great but that it is actually timeless.

Without the benefit of cars, or the way other people are dressed in the background to put it in a clear period context, I can imagine someone 40 years from now having a hard time deciding if this was shot in 1983 or 2008.

I read a lot of comments here like "I grew up in the 80's and I don't want to go back." Well, I grew up in the 80's also and I think it would be interesting to hear this young man's romantic vision of that decade.

Comments on "Finally.....My Favorite Shot From London"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 AM) : 

"On my recent trip to London I was able to find a few good shots"

In London you should be finding more than "a few good shots" ... It's the capital of individual dressing & way better than here [NYC]. You must have been in the wrong parts of town - i.e - the tourist parts!

 

Blogger OndrejS said ... (9:35 AM) : 

It is a very interesting outfit and although I am not the biggest fan of London fashion and even less of the 80s, I agree that it has its place on the stage. Those socks are a bit too much though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 AM) : 

He looks like a healthy, confident, well dressed Sid Vicious! If it were the 1980s you would probably have been shooting grainy, high contrast B&W film (just like my 80s-obsessed 20 year old students do now...)

 

Blogger porter hovey said ... (9:41 AM) : 

I love this kid! Just can't get enough of the hair and really love the bag. A+

 

Blogger designerman said ... (9:43 AM) : 

Love this! It could be the 80's, or the early 60's...it's the beauty of the Brits. Some of their style references just keep reappearing or skipping decades.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 AM) : 

Bag and shoes are awesome. It works for him, so why knock it.

 

Blogger Jorge from W Palm Beach said ... (9:47 AM) : 

OK, let's get to the good things first: that is the thrift store "pleather" bag of my dreams! And the shoes look of good quality and well-worn, which is nice. Second, this is the look we love to look at, but how many of us would actually wear it? The pegged black jeans with the bad wash-fade marks, the socks that match neither pants nor shoes, the jacket sleeves which may or may not be too short. And yet it works, someone please explain it! Maybe it is the "I am young and slim and I can wear whatever I want and look hot" thing. Ah, this got me thinking on a Monday morning. Looking forward to the reading more comments! Jorge from W Palm Beach

 

Blogger nurse fiction said ... (10:10 AM) : 

Yeah, this guy has some kind of charm. But in general such way to dress can be dangerous sometimes because of very thin edge between stylish look and the opposite of it. And like here in kiev such kind of outfit meens you'r one of those stereotype guy's, like wanna_be_like_from_70's...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:11 AM) : 

RICK ROLLED!

 

Blogger Welcome said ... (10:17 AM) : 

This could be from any time...
except it has posters advertising "propa ruff bass".

Otherwise, yeah it could, hahaha.

 

Blogger The Fab Miss B said ... (10:26 AM) : 

I love this. I think he looks totally modern because this look takes pieces from lots of different eras- the shirt is totally 60's and the hair 80's but it also borrows from the 50's. He has attitude and the look works for him, and isn't that what this is all about? Expressing yourself and looking great?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27 AM) : 

This guy is just incredible because he doesn't look like he's in disguise and I can imagine it's just his way of life - Being classy and rock'n'roll !!!

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (10:33 AM) : 

Yes, but this guy has actually done a romantic interpretation of the 80s--he isn't literally wearing head-to-toe costumey 80s (unlike certain young supermodels and French actresses whom you've featured). His look is an interpretation but it's also very today.

This is a fantastic photo. He oozes confidence. The setting is classic London.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

Its a great look - not everyone's cup of tea, but i dig it. Its a classic look, all those pieces could be brand new High Street, (i hate using that word), or mix n match. A few key itmes make it an obvious stab at the 80s, But i agree, it could almost so easily have been a doff of the hat to the 60s. That background just makes it a cool shot to look at!

 

Blogger mark s said ... (10:51 AM) : 

oh-oh, do I sense that low-vamp shoes are on their way back? they sorta look good in this shot

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

so is it timeless, or is it perfectly dated? timeless for me would mean that you could not tell if it was 1940, 1950, 1960, 1970, etc., or if was from two very different eras (1950s or 1980s).

the hair is not timeless ... it's dated. which makes this not a timeless piece but a well-executed period piece.

i don't mean to be pedantic. i am curious is all

 

Blogger Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said ... (11:15 AM) : 

I don't particularly care about the clothing in this photo, its the actual photography that is catching my eye. That angle is amazing. I just want to stare at this photo.

 

Blogger jessica said ... (11:22 AM) : 

yes, like everyone else, i LOVE this guy... gorgeous.
he's more morrissey than sid vicious to me. and that's a wonderful thing....

 

Blogger SAM said ... (11:32 AM) : 

The fit of his jeans is excellent. i adore this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 AM) : 

Lived in London 1979-81, and he's got it down. A lovely homage/tribute, worn w/exactly the right attitude!

 

Blogger Amelia said ... (11:54 AM) : 

Anon 9:34 - Finding a good shot isn't just about finding good people to shoot. If it's raining like crazy (as he mentioned), regardless of what people are wearing, it's going to be hard to get a good picture. It's more about the various other conditions than the people themselves.

I love this look. The jeans don't seem quite right to me, but everything else is perfect, especially the colors in the bag and shirt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

great example of London fashion and style.!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

Playing the past forward always carries a personal note. Why that hairstyle with that bag with those pants? Did your lens catch a "romantic notion" in play? I think so and it appears that your subject has won the set.

 

Blogger Karen said ... (12:08 PM) : 

Oh, Lord, the pompadour, the tight jeans, the attitude -- I'm hearing the Stray Cats, Tears for Fears, A Flock of Seagulls. Decent era for music, but some of the fashion trends are best forgotten.

Still, as a whole, everything works together here for a total 80s punk image, with the possible exception of the red leather bag that looks like it belongs to some other outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

This photo couldn't be more London - i went to school and lived there for 10 years. Yes, i can see the eighties thing but this guy is either consciously or subconsciously channeling references from a whole bunch of decades - basically he's being a 100% Londoner and rocking his look. He looks great and Sart, you've captured it with a cool understatedness. Love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 PM) : 

I don't see it. Looks to me like another "little boy." Far from the men you used to post.

yeah buddy

 

Blogger Tea Lady said ... (12:45 PM) : 

Oooh! Yes please! British Rock eat your heart out! When I look at this young man I think of the Smiths... Elvis Costello... wonderful.

 

Blogger Dawn said ... (12:46 PM) : 

Not a huge fan of his look, but I NEED that bag!!

 

Blogger Suzette said ... (12:48 PM) : 

Nope; way too "try-hard". Cool is only cool if it's effortless. He looks like he's wearing a costume, and knows it.

However, love the photo and the colors. Mustard, denim and the red bag... glorious.

 

Blogger whats-he-wearing.com said ... (12:49 PM) : 

i NEED his bag!! where's it from??!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:55 PM) : 

Well, I think this picture is just fabulous, Sart. I love it. Well done. Poo poo to the negative nancies postin' here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:10 PM) : 

This young man has a style which, thank goodness, can't be reduced to any one decade. I find genius in the progression of autumnal tones from hair to shirt to socks to shoes to bag.

 

Blogger CULTURE CREATORS said ... (1:40 PM) : 

GREAT shot. love the concert posters. Hmmm he looks like Lyall Lovette (i think I just butchered that spelling)...




xCC

 

Blogger Ryan said ... (1:48 PM) : 

I think this is great! Not my taste 100% but i appreciate his look.

RyanMac

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:52 PM) : 

need that bag. beautiful shot overall, but yeah, need that bag.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

I think youths inspired by the 80s often add some refinement to 80s styles that we just didn't have "back in the day". It is nice to see young people select the best elements from the past and create something that is completely here, now, today.

This young man looks completely dashing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:13 PM) : 

He's like a preppy version of the Jesus & Mary Chain's first bassist Douglas Hart! Is it possible that the pants are too tight? They almost look like leggings. And the socks are a definite no-no- it's summer, innit?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:34 PM) : 

I love the hair, it is what makes the style. Imagine him with a more contemporary cut; he'd just be a guy with odd clothes.

I have seen more low-vamp shoes without socks, but to me they seem the obvious choice to show off some of the really cool colorful socks that are popular now. Maybe it's because it's so obvious that this gentleman resisted the urge to do, say, bright stripes or argyle.

 

Blogger Miss Cavendish said ... (2:46 PM) : 

Love his line, the row houses as backdrop . . .

 

Blogger Gratistotal said ... (2:46 PM) : 

this look represents the best about this decade

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:12 PM) : 

Wow -Not only do I see 80s references in this look, but 50s and 60s also. Some prep,some punk.

Interesting mash up of fashion history and totally stylish and individual.

RJT

 

Blogger STREET STYLEZ NYC said ... (3:12 PM) : 

THIS IS YOUR BEST POST TO DATE. IT WAS WELL WRITTEN, AND ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. THE PICTURE IS TIMELESS.

 

Blogger STREET STYLEZ NYC said ... (3:15 PM) : 

AND IN RESPONSE TO THE ANONYMOUS COMMENT, YOU'RE WRONG. I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY WHY SCOTT WAS ONLY ABLE TO FIND A FEW GOOD SHOTS IN LONDON, THE FASHION SCENE IN LONDON IS DEAD. IT HAS POTENTIAL, BUT ISN'T PROMISING. THERE'S NO WAY YOU CAN COMPARE LONDON FASHION TO NEW YORK CITY. EVERYONE GETS THEIR STYLE FROM NEW YORKERS, EVEN THE JAPANESE LOVE OUR WESTERN STYLE. PLEASE.

 

Blogger Lenoxave said ... (3:16 PM) : 

I love his "throwback" to the 80's look. The hair, the trousers, the jacket. Good stuff. He makes me smile.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:19 PM) : 

I think he looks great - digg the loafers / tassles - but anynoticed he really looks like a young Kevin Bacon?

 

Blogger needle+thread said ... (3:28 PM) : 

love that this made your fave shots. most of them have this quality... and i agree that without hints, it could be a few eras. great shot, as always, easy to enjoy.

p.s. the hair is so mick hucknall it hurts !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 PM) : 

Well said, Sart. It's timeless. And being minutes away from my front door I recognise the setting, right outside London of College in Shoreditch .. hardly "the wrong part of town for individual dressing". Your diverse viewpoints are welcome.

Love from London!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:51 PM) : 

I know I shouldn't read the comments on this blog (which I like) but I can't stop myself sometimes and I do and then I want to stab my eyes out.

So—for my sake and the sake of many others who feel the same but aren't asking. I beg you to disable comments.

Thank you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:11 PM) : 

LOVE this guy! Yum

 

Blogger Serg Riva said ... (4:30 PM) : 

It is important to know when to drop your bag, when to sling it over your shoulder, and when to hold it like a too-handed style ballast.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:49 PM) : 

Love it! esp. the hair.

I have to say, I was just in London and it was lame. I lived there throughout the 80s and there was fabulous style then-- very individual. Now, it's all terribly provincial and snoozeworthy. AND I was not in the touristy sections, thank you. The exceptions were some older gents with a great twist on classic tailoring: Anthony Eden suits plus bohemian old guy "I don't care" attitude. On the whole, I saw way more true style in Dublin.

 

Blogger LuLu124 said ... (5:31 PM) : 

wow great outfit!!! very romantic and very london!!

 

Blogger Disneyrollergirl.net said ... (5:31 PM) : 

Ahhh, glad that you managed to get a really great London shot. For me the hair is channelling early Jesus & Mary Chain - yay!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:48 PM) : 

Nah, he looks very nice but it's retro rubbish. The best thing in the shot is the promise of propa ruff bass. I want to see the future not the past.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:06 PM) : 

Honestly, i think it could be from the 1920s just as much..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:15 PM) : 

80s? I thought he was doing a rockabilly thing. Oh, maybe that is eighties. An eighties version of the fifties, I suppose.

 

Blogger Dan in Richmond said ... (7:24 PM) : 

I can't say i find this timeless, although I see several times being invoked. The hair screams 1980's. the jeans 1950's, the shoes and socks would be best forgotten whichever decade you choose to associate them with (70's?). The rest could be nice with different footwear. The bag doesn't belong with the rest, though it could be practical rather than intended as an accessory.

 

Blogger John and Beatrice said ... (7:38 PM) : 

Scott, thanks for catching a bit of Timelessness and nostalgic glam here along the banks of the Thames.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:39 PM) : 

Very "Boy With the Thorn In His Side".

I'm with you, Sart; I grew up in the 80's and dressed very similarly to this in about 1983, and I love seeing young kids indulging in nostalgia for an era they didn't experience. Romanticism is the most harmless vice of youth, let them enjoy themselves.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (7:43 PM) : 

He looks like a hybrid of Slim Jim Phantom and Lee Rocker. Nice one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:55 PM) : 

His hair reminds me of Jim Reid of the Jesus and Mary Chain circa "87.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:56 PM) : 

How very London! It may be a timeless image but it is very specific to that place.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 PM) : 

LOVE everything about this shot...I grew up in the 80's as well, but this is much more chic than anything we were wearing! THE 80's were GREAT...anything beats the depressing grunge of the 90's!

 

Blogger bicicleta said ... (8:13 PM) : 

I agree with Sartorialist - this shot is timeless - bw or color - it is timeless. As for the details - it is the skew of his details that make it timeless and his willingness to not reach for something he is not. Lastly - as for the 80's - check out Paul Weller and you will realize how influential the 80's or at least Paul Weller (or Mod fashion) has been in fashion over the last 10 years . . . repeat, repeat and repeat. Well done.

 

Blogger sisty said ... (8:47 PM) : 

No, darling, think 1963 -- this young guy reminds me exactly of the morning I woke up in second grade to realize that my teenage cousin Ronny had come to live with us. He who taught us everything we knew about music -- both listening, and playing it -- and a lot of other unsavory stuff besides.

Thanks for the memories. He is truly, truly timeless, even farther back in time than you may have first realized.

 

Blogger Janelle said ... (9:21 PM) : 

How do you translate this to women's wear without looking like, well, a cross-dresser. I would love to pull this outfit together but I predict my short hair (shorter than his) and petite physique will make me look worse than a cross-dresser: a little girl dressing up as a little boy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 PM) : 

Shot in the streets of Bicklane, Sart?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 PM) : 

I find it highly gratifying that someone has mentioned the exact same thing that has graced my thoughts more than once.

The absence of any definitive technology or symbolism allows the viewer to appreciate the subject in a more thorough sense.

It is, indeed, timelessly timely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 PM) : 

I love this picture: I think it's because it just fits, as it only could in London; it's a precious capture of that city's innate style. But I do hate the socks, even though they likewise just fit, they're still dirt ugly.

Energie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 AM) : 

Hair and Bag. Perfecto.

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (12:25 AM) : 

its a great shot - i like the moody look about it - very British!
he reminds me of a young Howard Jones with that 'new wave' 80's look going on!

 

Blogger Rachella said ... (2:02 AM) : 

Post more photos from London please!

I admit we do tend to be a scruffy lot in London, but the style is generally more individualistic - probably because it's so expensive to dress here so we have to get creative.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 AM) : 

he would be perfect for yohji yamamoto's collection on the runway model.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 AM) : 

The whole outfit works for him - from the hair, shoes,suit and bag. It is very retro, but that is what makes it timeless. Fashion is circular. He look's cool to me.

 

Blogger dandy nihilism said ... (3:33 AM) : 

The outfit screams new wave, but still manages to appear fashionable. It holds a circa 1981 English post-punk vibe but once you notice the shoes it really comes together in a modern sense.

The bag flirts with bowling ball disaster, although that does retain its utility and masculinity hence keeping any femme notions at bay.

It is a look certainly not hemmed in by era. The quality loafers along with the contemporary bag keep the ensemble current.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 AM) : 

Re: eveyone who comments individual style is a rare thing in London - sadly they are right. Chain stores and 'the high street' - the main street in every town that nowadays has the same selection of stores pushing low budget designer rip-offs - is killing individual style in Britain. London for the most part has become one huge high street in terms of it's choice of stores. Blame TopShop...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:29 AM) : 

I think more Malcolm than Sid!

I'm enjoying very much this look coming around again, I loved it back then and I loving seeing the updated version on the young folk...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:56 AM) : 

love him! i have got to get to the point where i can find the clothes and the confidence for what i'd like to be wearing these days like this guy!
I think i'm an instant fan, just because.
Great shot

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:03 AM) : 

Sart, to see some smart dressing, hang out on Trinity Street in Cambridge. I saw dozens of Sartorialist-ready shots there last week.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:18 AM) : 

I was born in the early 80s and grew up surrounded by punks and baggy clothed people....probably the worst fashion decade in London. Seeing this picture made me think, without the 80s fashion there wouldn't be this kind of looks around.

 

Blogger InStudio Blog said ... (9:13 AM) : 

I wish I was brave enough to do the girls version of this look back in high school in the 80's. Rats!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:11 AM) : 

The guy in the photo definitely looks retro yet modern! I love the bag!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Reminiscent of a young Malclom MacClaren circa 1976

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

Wonderful photo, such a London look! Not sure about the shoes but they work on him. Sadly I do agree with Suzanne Nelson - the High Street is killing stylish individuality.

 

Blogger SNAP! said ... (10:42 AM) : 

I love it! His hair is just great too! It reminds me of a book I loved as a child called 'Tim goes to sea' - anyone know it?

 

Blogger Matthew Spade said ... (12:21 PM) : 

love this shot and im loving all this guys look. loafers have been getting much more popular in england, esp with the tassels. ive been wearing my patent black ones for a while now.

can't falt this at all, perfect

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 PM) : 

"In London you should be finding more than "a few good shots" ... It's the capital of individual dressing & way better than here [NYC]. You must have been in the wrong parts of town - i.e - the tourist parts!"

I think he was referring specifically to the fact that it rained and THAT's why he was only able to find a few good shots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:33 PM) : 

Good Lord. My heart just about stopped: he looks exactly like my first "real" boyfriend from 1987. I'm not sure what I think about this look, but I know how I feel about it...I love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:35 PM) : 

He looks great in his mix of classic trends. it's a wonderful shot, Sart.

I was around in the 80s, so It's interesting to ponder why this wouldn't fly if you were using it as a costume for a film set then.

With those sideburns, he'd have to be rockabilly, but the clothes aren't right for that.

It's sort of an early Bob Dylan look, but the shoes (and the sideburns) aren't right.

Etc.

His hair: I'm female and have got hair like his. I wore short-back-and-sides post-punk back in the day. The thing is, with those curls you haven't got much option. If it's short and even all around, you end up with a bubble head! Your only other option is to go shoulder-length or longer.

-- desertwind

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:00 PM) : 

Yeah, the hair is sooo Jim Reid from Jesus and Mary Chain. I love when curly haired guys do something cool with their hair; many can't seem to deal with it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:04 PM) : 

I wish there were more shots from the UK - it seems so unfair that's there only ever one every six months or something :(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 PM) : 

I don't think the photo has the 'harshness' of the 80s. I was a US student in London early in that decade.

 

Blogger octavio cayeta said ... (1:05 AM) : 

Who cares about 80´s styles when he wears absolutely fashionable. The red bag is the climax of his look. His london fashion soul is perfectly shot by you. No one must judge the london fashion, It is london, everything is admissible.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 AM) : 

wonderful,wonderful!!

 

Blogger ~chetna~ said ... (3:40 AM) : 

having chosen to live abroad i'm interested to find that this shot makes me homesick for london..love the guy..love the outfit..
especially the shoes & socks & ya i also want that bag..
london calling..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:25 AM) : 

Don't think this look needs to be directly compared to the looks of the 80's, (i.e. how it doesn't have the "harshness" of the 80's?) This man is taking a look from the 80's and making it his own. It is all about pulling from styles of different eras and putting them together to make an interesting outfit in your own unique style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 AM) : 

to Snap!

Yes, I know the Tim Books. I read them myself and to my son. This guy has Ginger's hair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

"only able to find a few good shots!!"

I'm a Londoner and often wondered why you don't have a 'Men London' section. I'm amazed you can't find more pictures on the street in London,check out facehunter.com.. London is full of creative individuals.
I'm currently visiting New York and so far have been dissappointed in the man on the street and the shopping has yet to impress.
If you're going to sit outside a fashion show in Paris then of course you'll find well put together poeple.. (the rest of Paris dresses like Johnny Halliday)if you want consistantly well dressed people, and quality manufacturing, open your eyes next time your in London.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:07 AM) : 

it's like lyle lovett in the best way imaginable. i love the reds bouncing off the posters to the bag to the hair. that's one of the first things i notice about your photos - the attention to color and form and how they dance.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 AM) : 

Next reason to love London (style&more)

 

Blogger bomb.ass.ting said ... (1:42 PM) : 

They'll decide 2008 because the wash of his jeans is something that never existed in the 80s!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:45 PM) : 

"Propa Ruff Bass!"
If only the 80s had dubstep. How great that would have been.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

"THE FASHION SCENE IN LONDON IS DEAD. IT HAS POTENTIAL, BUT ISN'T PROMISING. THERE'S NO WAY YOU CAN COMPARE LONDON FASHION TO NEW YORK CITY. EVERYONE GETS THEIR STYLE FROM NEW YORKERS, EVEN THE JAPANESE LOVE OUR WESTERN STYLE. PLEASE"

HaHa! You're severely deluded & clearly have never been to London. Just go to Facehunter & witness the creativeness & individual aspects of Londoners - Try & find me a more prestigious fashion college than Central St Martins that has taught the most amazing designers in the world. NYC comes way after London & Paris - NYC is way to generic & to even say that the Japanese "love" NY style is completely ridiculous - they have a style all of their own. As a New Yorker I can totally say that London & Paris wipe the floor with NYC ... Honestly, you need to get a passport.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 AM) : 

Shouldn't a "timeless" image expand beyond on the year 1983? I feel that if the posters in the upper right hand corner were not included, the "timelessness" of the photo could be expanded to include earlier decades, thus supporting the actual nature of the term. That would make this look more effective.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

Blast from the past!This boy was the boy that everyone wanted to dance with on a friday night when we were 17!! He seems to have moved his 60's obsession along a bit now though. I wouldn't say this is try hard at all, just someone who has always had great personal style.

My old flat mate was in love with him for at least a year!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:50 PM) : 

Bowie!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:52 AM) : 

Oh my, this post makes me miss my youth when I lived in London 1984-1986. Great music, fashion, hair. Good times.

 

Blogger Sphinxvictorian said ... (4:12 PM) : 

I love that shot. It is timeless, not only going back to the 80's but earlier. He has an almost late Teddy-boy feel to him, as though it was 1965, and the fashion was just going out, but he couldn't quite let go of it...

But yeah, great photo. Reminds me of the Britain I first encountered back in 1984.

 

Blogger in defense of retail therapy said ... (10:18 PM) : 

this is flawless. the staging of the shot is as well as the subject. this is not '80's,' to me. it is far more timeless, the 80's drew on a variety of influences of previous decades and centuries. this to me could be a friend of the beats, as previously mentioned could be 60's, the hair-could even be a flamboyant 20's, a colorful member of the gatsby set or a character in p.g. wodehouse. this is a shot for the photo book we all can't wait to have published some day.

 

Blogger Thea said ... (2:36 PM) : 

He looks like a sexied up version of Henry from the movie Eraserhead.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:00 PM) : 

looks like something out of Spring Awakening <333
-MariaMiami

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 PM) : 

Bob Dylan?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:49 AM) : 

This guy is a long friend of mine, we went to school together and then art college together and this style is truly a representation of his lifestyle and is by no means fake or put on for the cameras so to speak.

It sums up his chaotic and random lifestyle perfectly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:15 PM) : 

perfect.

 

Anonymous greg farmer said ... (1:42 PM) : 

HAHA its me. 3 years have past and i didnt even know this existed. my memories of the 80's are very vivid as i was only 4. haha great. times have changed

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:07 PM) : 

Haha, Greg!!!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting