This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Yellows & Greys, Park Ave.

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, May 15, 2008

On the Street....Yellows & Greys, Park Ave.

Comments on "On the Street....Yellows & Greys, Park Ave."

 

Blogger sean said ... (8:15 AM) : 

i really like the yellow accenting the cardigan with this look. i don't think these pants work well for everyone, but he manages to pull them off. i can't tell if he's on his way to battery park for an afternoon read or a meeting in the office.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:21 AM) : 

Once again, a great use of color in the background (yellow cabs) against the subject. Similar to previous blogger's comment on your photo of Dario and his blue scarf/navy coat against a blue car... Excellent work!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:36 AM) : 

I love that preppy and restrained look, mixed with a simple yellow line on the cardigan.
As for the 7/8 pants: good in-between shorts and regular long sized pants.

One of my favs here!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:37 AM) : 

I wish that yellow trim matched the taxis. Still, cute.

 

Blogger Jenny N said ... (8:38 AM) : 

Sorry, that's horrible. Yes, it's stylish, but he's obviously trying way too hard.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 AM) : 

Oh ultimately cool. What a complete look. If I saw that wandering a street I think I might applaud.

 

Blogger Day Glow Girlfriend said ... (8:48 AM) : 

I don't know how I feel about men cropped pants.
But I love the cardigan with the black. Especially with the cab in the background.

 

Blogger António Erre said ... (9:18 AM) : 

Nice boy with style! Wrong shoes, though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 AM) : 

Love the way the yellow in the cardigan is reflected in the taxis in the background..Preppy without being pretentious. Not a fan of the naked shins though :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:23 AM) : 

i think this is an instant faaaaaavorite

 

Blogger I ♥ You said ... (9:24 AM) : 

That cardigan/tie combo is perfection.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:25 AM) : 

I suspect this young man has perused this blog a time or two...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

Good job, Sart! How did you get him in front of the cabs? Really, really smart!

 

Blogger Zaydoun said ... (9:59 AM) : 

If I'm not mistaken that's a Paul Smith cardigan... I almost bought one for myself until I saw the bold yellow horizontal stripes on the back... thought it was overkill

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Oh my! The pants...make it stop!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Oh! one of my favorite color combinations, yellow and grey looks great together....And i love me a man cardi always. This gentleman has a great style, mixing colors and proportions very well.

-Kate B.
Phoenix

 

Blogger Karmander said ... (10:12 AM) : 

It's definitely working for me, against all odds...i think it's his haircut.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 AM) : 

Nice look. Very Thom Browne, but like Browne's clothing, too contrived to be worn by everyone

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Love the way he blends in with the yellow cabs in the background!

I don't know about those capri like trousers on him though but,he feels tres comfortable in them and that's what counts!

Love the specs!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27 AM) : 

Sorry, this look just doesn't do it for me . . .

 

Blogger Beth said ... (10:27 AM) : 

oooh, he's dressed for the territory I see...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

Love the yellow, it perfectly echoes the cabs in the background. A beautiful shot, good job, Sart.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:47 AM) : 

Intensity.

Everything is pulled together and the white shoes are a surprist. Is he wearing socks?

Love the glasses.

 

Blogger Kyle said ... (10:50 AM) : 

Love the pants, they're the perfect cut and length for summer. And the yellow accent is just the right punch of color for the great and white.

nice shot.

 

Blogger Frosty Peaches said ... (10:51 AM) : 

I love yellow and gray together! It's my new favourite.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:59 AM) : 

does anyone know where this cardigan is from? or something similarly awesome?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

very cool looking guy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

YYYYYYellow! I usually don't enjoy hothothot colors, but there is something wonderful about grey and yellow together. This guy wisely lets the cardigan be the star of his ensemble.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

The white shirt and black pants really make the yellow jump out.
I like the eyeglasses. Bold frames.
I can't say that I love the hair. Just not my cup of tea.
Are those rings on the necklace? I can't tell.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 AM) : 

oh my! that cardigan is a winner!! does anyone know where to get it?

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (11:44 AM) : 

Oh.... my....
The image he sets forth is as someone playful, androgynous and mod. But the white tennis shoes and the capris, well, they don't give a very good line to the leg, which is abruptly cut off. Would have been quite different with long skinny jeans, and different shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 AM) : 

Wow. That's a little bit veird, isnt' it?

 

Blogger youveneverheardofus said ... (11:49 AM) : 

Hmmm, he look is very appealing, but i'm not sure if it's because of the taut lines or the fact that his outfit is so very 'in'. I see this look alot (especially when I look in the mirror), and i'm at once fascinated and infuriated. i'll settle to say it's very charming in an urban, zeitgeist-y sort of way.

however, i will unequivocally conclude that his mullet-thing...please no.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:50 AM) : 

ummm, no.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:14 PM) : 

no - he looks like he is trying just too hard. great cardi, even the pants are ok - I think it is more the pose and attitude that ruin it...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 PM) : 

I love everything about this, including the pants and shoes.

 

Blogger Baking With Plath said ... (12:56 PM) : 

Love the yellow! The pants are pretty awful though..

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (1:04 PM) : 

I don't think I'm ready for man-pris, but yellow and grey is my absolute favorite color combo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:16 PM) : 

Enough with the man capris. I yearn for the day when menswear grows up from its short, stunted phase. Perhaps I'll start it.

 

Blogger Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said ... (1:17 PM) : 

I love the yellow!

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (1:27 PM) : 

As Tyra and Christian would say,
"Fierce!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:43 PM) : 

Ha, ha! Geek chic. Cute and funny.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:50 PM) : 

I had to look at this photo 3 times. I like the cardigan. This young man certainly makes a bold statement, yet I wonder what he will think when he sees this picture 5 years from now. My rule is use (at most) 1 flash item and go conservative with the rest. The pants would have worked if they were tight around his calves; and there are too many lines around the neck: shirt collar, tie, cardigan edges, and necklace with rings (?). I am glad he is doing it so that the rest of us dont have to. Loathe the shoes, sorry! Jorge from West Palm Beach

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:54 PM) : 

Like it, for him. He pulls it off. Definitely not too many can or do. He's a hip young dude in N.Y. Go for it. I sometimes have trouble with guys like me over 40 going for this. Good job. Thank You.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:25 PM) : 

fab!!! love it!
i want want want to see the back of his hair, though... looks like a blonde... tail?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:28 PM) : 

I dont even like cardigans and that is a nice sweater. I wont be wearing it, but cant knock the hustle...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:33 PM) : 

I love the colors! Greys/Blacks accentuated with a beautiful yellow! It's Jeffrey from Barneys :) Happy to see a friendly face out there and from someone who always has wonderful taste in clothes, colors and is always trying new looks :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 PM) : 

Is he wearing women's pants?
I hate this look from the waist down.

 

Blogger Violet Harrington Pickles said ... (3:25 PM) : 

he makes me smile... he makes me happy.

 

Blogger thepommeshop said ... (3:37 PM) : 

I've come back to this photo about four times now. I think for me, there are elements of this outfit that I would normally be repulsed by, (ie. tight manpris) but in combination, the whole thing works. He looks like a fun guy who's willing to take a risk, and it paid off!

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (3:42 PM) : 

this should be really exciting yet somehow it isn't.

 

Blogger Ammie said ... (3:52 PM) : 

My husband has sworn by these pants on men since picking up a pair in Japan a few years ago. They look fantastic, but you have to OWN it, and have great legs.

This is how I like to see men dressed casually.

I really love the angularity of his jaw coupled with the stripes and stark black pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:08 PM) : 

Totally, ridiculously awesome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:20 PM) : 

Everything about this man is skinny...in a good way. Skinny jeans, skinny cardigan, skinny lines, skinny, tie, even skinny hair! xD Not many men can really pull this look off without looking like a high schooler... I think he succeeds. ^^

 

Blogger Caitlin Maloy said ... (4:56 PM) : 

that's jeffrey from the shoe dept @ Barney's! He's awesome and helped me choose a few great pairs this week!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 PM) : 

The cardigan is Paul Smith, you can get it with the stripe in a few different colours, one in blue is very nice. It costs £120 here in the UK.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:24 PM) : 

While i totally admire this young man for pushing the envelope and working his look, this outfit does nothing for me. Yet i can't figure out why, i've been looking at it for ages. i think there's too much ankle. That aside the photo has an Avedonesque quality of a New York street scene - genius!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:45 PM) : 

going to have to agree with 12:14 for the most part. I think what ruins the outfit for me is that he just looks like someone I wouldn't want to talk to. He seems to be all about his outfit which is just kind of offputting. Maybe if he relaxed his pose, smiled, got rid of those fashiony glasses, and kept the fit of his clothes trim but maybe a little more slouchy or rumpled, id like the outfit more. You are supposed to inhabit your wardrobe not present it like a mannequin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:51 PM) : 

i don't know about them man-capris, but i'm loving the shoes.

 

Blogger Style Noir said ... (8:05 PM) : 

Love this...

It'd look REALLY badass on a chick...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:42 PM) : 

Best cardigan I've seen in a long time! It makes for such a cool outfit, especially when teamed with those pants.

SL x

 

Blogger Somebody said ... (9:24 PM) : 

Top Half: YES!!! I particularly love the cardigan and the striped tie.

Bottom Half: No. Sorry, but those cropped pants aren't doing this guy any favors. And the whole black pants with white shoes thing really bothers me.

I can't imagine that pose is very comfortable, either.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 PM) : 

I work for Commes Des Garcons. Those are Commes Des Garcons Man trousers. I know when I seem Commes. I love them. His whole look is totally right on key. He definitely knows what's he's doing for sure. Work it out!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 AM) : 

I respect this guy's individuality and he definitely makes the world a more interesting (and exciting) place, but not a big fan of this look. Waaaay too much going on. Plus, I've never gotten the high rise pants on men- sorry Thom, I just think it looks pretentious and absurd.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 AM) : 

This looks like a look inspired by philip lim's line. beautiful accent of yellow, to bring alive the classic grey cardigan. i think that is what this season is about. brining casual items, and subtle tones alive with bright accent designs or colors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 AM) : 

awesome cardigan. great shoes.
the pants are annoying.
this would have been great with pleated wide leg pants methinks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 AM) : 

great cardigan!
nice top, but he loses it completely with the pants....!
where is the flood?
capri's are terrible in gerneral, and they are far too tight.

thanks for all the lovely photo's!
A visit to your site is my daily fix!
ciao

 

Blogger Marcus said ... (2:17 AM) : 

Didn't take the time to read everyone's comments above, but I understand a lot of the criticism of the pants and a lot of the people arguing for them.

Aesthetically speaking, this outfit really boils down to questions about proportion.

Are the pants short? They certainly are. Are they too short? Well, no, it's summer now and the cropped, fitted silhouette it very visually engaging, especially considering the way the yellow trim alters the proportions of color on the top. And the slightest peek of shirt cuff? Spot on. Even the tie gives us another line of visual interest right up to his club collar.

What people will disagree about is whether the pants are too short given the already tweaked proportions on the top (i.e. if it's just really "too much look").

But the question really doesn't matter because he's wearing it so well. Sure it's contrived, but that's because he really wants it to look constructed, very deliberately done. And when someone makes such strong and clear aesthetic choices about how they want to represent themselves, it's immaterial to try and decide whether or not he's "wrong".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

way too feminiwe to mee. if he would wear another trousers, it would look better I thin.

that gardigan is awesome <3
its colours are so nicely together I loove itt!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:28 PM) : 

Great Sweater!!!!! Where can I find that?

 

Blogger Butch0610 said ... (3:51 PM) : 

this is a friend of mine and I am so happy and proud to see him on here. he has always had a fearless sense of style and he looks amazing here once again. isn't this what fashion is supposed to be--fun, risky and creative? yeah, there are looks on here that i may not like but i've learned that if it makes that person feel great inside then do your thing. it's so very easy to criticize someone's style in the comfort of your own home in front of a computer; but, can you walk the walk?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 PM) : 

I think it's a bit much, and I'm still not sure how I feel about the cropped pants for men. If the cardigan is tight, the jeans should be a bit looser.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 AM) : 

as great as this outfit looks on him, i just keep thinking how great it'd look on me, or almost anyone i know. sure sign of something special.
and i never though i'd like cropped pants on men; in fact, i never has seen it on a man where it appeals to me. however, it's all in the way you wear as he's proved to me.

 

Blogger dean r said ... (12:30 PM) : 

Intense!!! love it all but the shoes. great look

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:53 AM) : 

love it. <3

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:29 PM) : 

cardigan is by philip lim 3.1

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:30 PM) : 

Bravo Butch 3:51 Well said, fair, and I agree totally. We need more guys like you and your friend as proof of this philosophy. It runs deep, but naturally & effortlessly. Thank You.

 

Blogger la femme said ... (4:14 PM) : 

love the yellow accents... not as crazy about the cropped pants.

 

Blogger dwashington314@gmail.com said ... (3:30 AM) : 

i couldnt pull this look off but he works it!

 

Blogger fromAtoS said ... (10:00 PM) : 

that's my boy. he works at barney's and looks great everyday!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:13 PM) : 

The pants bother me quite a bit. Too tight and a strange length. But I love the cardi. The grey and yellow together are excellent. The yellow of the cabs is a great unifier.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

The look is too top-heavy for such a streamlined ankle. Black shoes would have helped tremendously. I find the yellow and grey appealing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 AM) : 

I know him, he is always fabulous and never contrived. Haters wanna hate!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:10 PM) : 

LOVE LOVE LOVE yellow and gray combo.

once again you've done a wonderful job capturing the yellow taxis in the background composition of this photo. brilliant!

 

Blogger barneysnygirlseattle said ... (1:29 AM) : 

My friend always looks this amazing, and if you love his look, you can find him at the Madison Ave. Barneys New York. He always was a hipster, even in boring old Seattle...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:38 PM) : 

ireally like how the yellow cabs are in the background,totally goes with his cardigan.PERFECTO!

 

Blogger megintosh said ... (5:08 AM) : 

Love the cardi...si perfetto!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting