This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Espadrilles, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

On the Street....Espadrilles, NYC


Espadrilles - I wore them in the 80's but not since.

Does anyone wear them anymore?

Am I missing out on a great Summer footwear option?

I just remember them falling off my foot all the time.

I think they look great in this photo and it makes me reconsider the concept but if I had to choose between my Converse and espadrilles I would still lean toward the Converse.

Help me out and let me hear the pro side to espadrilles.

Comments on "On the Street....Espadrilles, NYC"

 

Blogger Randi said ... (6:49 PM) : 

I wore them last summer while in Spain. They were comfortable and made me 'fit' in with the spanish style.

I'm not sure if they are an 'American' thing...but I wear them to the beach and they are great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:54 PM) : 

converse will always be the shoe for all seasons but why not give the espadrilles a chance for summer :)
i used to have a pair when i was younger..grew out of them and haven't found decent ones since

 

Blogger zara said ... (6:56 PM) : 

they are cheap and come in zillions of colors, light on the foot and comfortable, i guess. but you're right with the falling off the foot thing. but for a leisure day at the beach or just hanging around somewhere, they're fine, i'd give it a try

 

Blogger aviewaskew said ... (7:01 PM) : 

luv the shot...can't comment on the comfort factor of men's espadrilles...but i'm with you and my chuck taylor all stars!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:08 PM) : 

I dunno... I tried on some cheap espadrilles like that here in Inno the other day and they felt, well, cheap. I felt like I should be wearing a denim skirt with them (not in a good way). But for men, maybe different.

I'd rather buy a pair of Toms - similar look, benefiting charity and less cheesy looking.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:09 PM) : 

They are cheap great and the brand TOMS donates to kids. Plus there Tre's chic on men the streets of nyc need more of this

 

Blogger zumir said ... (7:10 PM) : 

Espadrilles are called "alpargatas" in Spain, and they are very common here. They are in fact the sign of identity of the posh spanish, known as pijos". Don,t really like this option, at least in the way people wear it in Spain.

 

Blogger Gypsy Pants Gypsy Dance said ... (7:12 PM) : 

they are back. women in sweden love them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:13 PM) : 

I'll have to admit that I looked at the cardigan before I noticed the espadrilles.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 PM) : 

Nothin against the espadrilles but I vote for Converse!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:25 PM) : 

I like the espadrilles on men. They have class. If you intend to buy any, choose them really tight- you should almost not be able to get in. Soon they will loosen just to the perfect fit and not fall off your foot-. Good Luck.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:27 PM) : 

the guy is gorge. wow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:30 PM) : 

I LOVE espadrilles-every season I buy new ones, flat,open-toed or with a small heel...made is Spain is best(softer), and go ahead-smash the back down and wear them like slippers.I dislike tennis shoes-except for sport....I think the gentleman looks very chic and quite sophisticated

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:35 PM) : 

They're making something of a comeback in Britain too - the high street shoe shops all have relatively cheap and stylish ranges out for summer.

I have a few pairs myself, though I'd be more at home in some low-top Converse too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 PM) : 

I had a pair in the 80's too, but with the half inch ribbon of the same fabric as the shoe which you crossed and tied around your ankle. That was the only way to keep them from falling off.

BTW, I am new to your blog and love it. I look forward to new installments and have been reading the archives! Just so you know, I am not even fashion hip (though I do try and am learning from your site and references),and love it. Your commentary, photos and stories are so enjoyable. Thank you!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 PM) : 

I'm Spanish, so I have a thing about espadrilles. I prefer espadrille wedge sandals in women (I have seven pairs!), but I really love men wearing classic espadrilles in the same way the young man in your shot.
I agree with Patricia: here in Spain espadrilles are the summer footwear of young clasic men. But these guys can also be stylish, aren't they?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:50 PM) : 

One of those shoes that is rather ugly so one thinks they must be comfortable but actually they are not. The soles don't bend so you have to walk like Mr. Munster (The Adam's Family, no?).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:54 PM) : 

espadrilles win!
take it from a woman, espadrilles are what the accidentally attractive 20-something french professional wears on the weekends to a picnic in the park with shorts on a bicycle.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:57 PM) : 

they're comfy but it has to be very hot or they look silly. Keep them away from moisture, never step in a puddle or it's over. I swear I had the same hair, sweater, trousers and espadrilles as your guy in the image. To be the espadrilles are very 80's summer new wave on a euro bent. I won't be sporting them again unless I'm in Sardinia or something. Btw found this posting via twitter, right on sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:59 PM) : 

These are quite popular here in Sydney... but we don't really have a name for them. They're not that cheap either ($60) from places like Hype DC and Zu.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:01 PM) : 

I wore espadrilles all the time when I lived in Rome in the '80s. They were comfortable, stupid cheap, and they came in every color. The secret is to buy them as small as you can stand to squeeze your foot into at first because they will stretch as you wear them. Not so good in the rain, but so convenient and packable. Now that I think of it, they'd make much nicer commute shoes than the ubiquitous New York flip-flop.

 

Blogger Bi~* said ... (8:02 PM) : 

Weel, here in Brazil they do really look like a gringo(tourist) thing... But why do not give a try?!
Once, I had alpargatas, and it was pretty cool! With a dress it looks so sweet and feminin... And that's a look we can wear here, cuz, u know, the whole year is hot!

;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:03 PM) : 

@ anon 7:13

me too... the cardigan is awesome...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:05 PM) : 

only for the beach...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:07 PM) : 

I loved my pair last summer, and am excited to wear them again this summer. Pare Gabia has great ones!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:09 PM) : 

No espadrilles in the city, svp. Great at the beach, but I don't think concrete and rope soles mix well.

 

Blogger team group leader said ... (8:11 PM) : 

my boyfriend brings back inexpensive espadrilles when he visits his family in france.

i like to steal them.

they are super comfortable, slip on easily, and make the transition nicely from house shoe to street wear.

as others mentioned they are similar to Tom's, so the wearing of espadrilles also fits in with a timely fashion - especially in skinny-jeaned plaid-shirted hipster circles.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:23 PM) : 

don't go near rain or city streets, in either situation the espadrilles will last for, oh ten minutes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:25 PM) : 

HERE IN ARGENTINA (ALMOST)EVERYONE HAS A PAIR OR TOO. THE LOCAL ONES ARE REALLY COMFY. iCANNOT CONSIDER THEM A FASHION ITEM. THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE THEM LOOK GOOD IS SOCKLESS.

 

Blogger Lieutenant Glahn said ... (8:37 PM) : 

He looks like Daniel Day-Lewis in My Beautiful Laundrette.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:49 PM) : 

they are the only shoes i ever wear in the warmer months....perhaps its because, like in spain, the summers are very casual in australia. i love any footwear that doesnt require socks plus the colours are fantastic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:53 PM) : 

Espadrilles for the beach or boardwalk, but never in the city. And I must disagree, Converse...the shoe for no seasons, I just detest them. What ever happened to nice sandals?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 PM) : 

Espadrilles? More like espardenyes, amirite? Alpargatas is OK too but I'd stick to the original.

 

Blogger David McDougall said ... (9:13 PM) : 

I'll take my Tom's over espadrilles, but either one works as the perfect summer shoe.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:21 PM) : 

Im a Londoner and when the weather is mild and it's not raining (rare), i wear my espadrilles at every opportunity. In "Office" shoe shop they now have them for 2 pairs for something like 15 pounds.. i got some from there the summer before last and they still do me now. I swear by them.

And yes, agreeing with a comment previously about getting a pair which initially seem a bit too small. If you have to use your finger as a shoehorn with them when trying on then that means that in a day or so of padding around the house in them, they will be THE perfect fit.

I wear mine with capri length pants or longer length casual shorts and they do give a lovely line. I'm an ex ballet dancer and used to wear ballet flats a lot but since Amy Winehouse and her blood-soaked Freeds.... hmm. Espadrilles are my new choice!

 

Blogger Simple Pleasures said ... (9:22 PM) : 

I think espadrilles are a classic in the US. They are of course, very summer WASP for women - and the truely elegant man can pull them off with elan. (linen pants, a well fitted tee shirt and espadrilles - yum -- hmmm not unlike this delicious man)

Like other comments above, I prefer espadrilles from Spain - they seem to be made better. Typically they aren't the best deal for espadrilles (and these days with the dollar so low that is even more true) but seem to fit better, feel more comfortable and last longer. In terms of budget, my rule of thumb is they last two to three summers.

In terms of fit, as they are typically fabric, buy something a bit smaller than you would typically (go for the similar snug feel of a Repetto flat if you are a women) because the fabric will stretch quickly and they will stay on. I have found if they get a bit too big, a bit of water on the fabric (dry in the sun if possible) will help tighten them up again.
These are NOT for long walks - and I have had the blisters to prove it - but more for the casual lazy summer days.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:24 PM) : 

Here, in Paris, I wear my espadrilles as soon as I can in the year; this is a simple and classical shoe and the most confortable.
Espadrilles are just perfect for a "bohème" look...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:35 PM) : 

I recommend Tom's. They will fall off your feet all the time, but you'll be comfortable and cute.

 

Blogger Jonathan said ... (9:53 PM) : 

Other than the fact that the word itself, 'espadrilles,' is fun to pronounce, and that they were usually attached to the euro-girls, they've never done anything for me.


I've always been a converse kid.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 PM) : 

I wear the espadrilles that lace up to the ankles, like the ones you buy in the old espadrille shops in Barcelona's Gothic quarter. You may see them more on women these days, particularly on hideous Louboutin platforms, but if you look at old pictures of Dali and Picasso, they wear them well with white summer pants, especially slightly cropped like the ones George Cortina wears in your images from last week. They may not be as comfortable on the soles (the rope instep is scratchy) but I have my shoemaker glue leather thin insoles on them and vamonos a la playa! - Sr. Cruz, W. Village

 

Blogger zerzanfan said ... (9:55 PM) : 

I wanted a pair so badly that I asked some friends who were going to Spain for their honeymoon last month to pick me up a pair. They brought me two - one in navy, one in bright red. I am in love with them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 PM) : 

Alpargatas are absolutely the best shoe for the summer. I have about 12 pairs(from Menorca) in various colors and I wear them all summer long. I think ersatz Chinese faux espadrilles are horrible. Only the real ones will do, I wear my maroon alpargatas in San Miguel de Allende, my dark green ones in Maine, my black ones in Boston, and I'm saving my pale blue ones for the right place and the right time. They are the perfect summer dry place shoe, with the emphasis on the dry! I don't like the wedgies with the ribbons, too much trouble! The original flat ones with the white stitching are the best because they evoke beach.

I have been wearing them since I was about twelve after I saw them in a bad 70's movie about two teenagers who run off to the south of France and have a baby, music by Elton John!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 PM) : 

People have been wearing them here in Sydney in the past year or so ..

at first it was really cool ..

and then it got old again. Back to converse, vans and keds.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 PM) : 

no converse & no espadrilles for me

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 PM) : 

Little bourgeois parisians have been wearing espadrilles every summer for the past 4 years now...

Just like the "pijos" that Patricia talked about in Spain, the people who wear them in Paris make me hate them.

No possible way they can seriously become a great summer footwear option, maybe an acceptable one on the beach...

Converse will remain the queen! (shoes is feminine in French!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 PM) : 

I was in a discount store a couple of days ago and saw a pair & commented on how funny looking they were and we had a giggle trying some on. then a day later, saw a cool looking chick wearing a pair and she made them look SO stylish I now want a pair! love them in a light denim colour!

 

Blogger hakkamui said ... (11:24 PM) : 

I think espadrilles give a touch of elegance in addition to the casualness it carries. It is like telling the whole world, "I don't care what you think of me, I am cool, I am who I am".

 

Blogger Jana FitzGerald said ... (11:28 PM) : 

Espadrilles are fabulous. I love wearing the flat ones, which make me feel like I'm on a Catalonian Holiday in the sunshine. Converse are perhaps more suitable for daily/city wear, whereas espadrilles are perfect for leisure activities. I also really like slightly heeled wedged espadrilles that tie up ones leg (for women, of course) that I think are classic with any spring or summer frock.

 

Blogger nightingale said ... (11:34 PM) : 

I was such a fan of espadrilles in the 80's-- my favorite was a pink pair from Italy that tied up like ballet slippers. But wearing them again would feel like too much of a time warp.

 

Blogger Fashion Addict said ... (12:05 AM) : 

The cool kids have been wearing them for about a year,i'm not that cool.
If I'm going to wear a shoe like that I prefer to wear Tom's,they have a great charity concept and they come in many colors too, you can even bring your own print.

I still rather wear my Chucks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:11 AM) : 

Oh weird..A friend of mine just brought me a pair of these back from Spain...I put them on but I dunno...just couldn't get into them..they weren't terribly comfortable either...though I have a feeling they are going to making a big comeback soon..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 AM) : 

You can always slip them on like mules because no matter how tight you get them they stretch out and will not stay on your feet. I usually sew ribbons on for the girls so they can tie them at the ankles. Definitely more of a euro look for men.

 

Blogger lauren said ... (12:22 AM) : 

YES!!! loving it - i bought some in paris when i was living there and they are a mess now i wear them a lot ... looking for some new ones in the states... can any one tell me where to look? the classic kind. i know there is a great site from spain but it's $70 for shipping! that's more than the shoe costs!! help! i love them! i still wear my worn out ones all the time with skinny jeans and a t-shirt. i feel so french! ooh la la!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 AM) : 

LOVE THEM!

can any one tell me a web site in the states where you can get them?
svp

 

Blogger Theo said ... (12:28 AM) : 

no! no wayyyy! every cheap metro here in australia sports these horrible things. they're a club kid's delight!
sorry, i know this was meant to be pro-espadrille, but the worst people here wear them and i just wanted to warn you.
what about something as equally classic and simple as a pair of cons; vans authentics in white/white?

 

Blogger Regina said ... (12:32 AM) : 

In Brazil they are called alpargatas, and they are kinda comfortable, cheap and look "summery", but anyway... even though this guy looks great, I don't like this kind of shoes specially when worn by boys. In that case, I prefer birkenstocks (but not that german heavy "thing". I mean "franciscan sandals" as we call them here, those sandals that Franciscan priests wear. Those are great!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 AM) : 

Just think how much more conventional he'd look with the Converse, though. The espadrilles really make his look -- he seems casual and laid back, but in a really high class way. They make him seem beachy, but in this great Hemingway way. I think the Converse would just hipster-fy it all...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 AM) : 

Espadrilles, much like Sperry Top-Siders (yes-- I know, Top-Siders weren't exclusive to the '80s, but they were hugely popular, and sadly, making a comeback of sort now...), ought to be left in the '80s. I remember looking at my older sister's GQ magazines in '86 when I was about 9 and seeing espadrilles featured in every damn editorial. I hated them then as a kid, and I hate them now as an adult. There are so many better options than these horrors. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

--PLO

 

Blogger pattersonovsky said ... (1:20 AM) : 

Toms* are big in Austin now - a fun form of espadrilles

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:27 AM) : 

When I was in high school in the late '70s (in little ol' Burbank, CA) I (a fashion-forward girl in "drama") was chided for wearing my cool mom's (same size 5) so-chic espadrille wedgies: so light, so casually perfect, so rooted in an earthy way... one pair had laces that tied up the ankle... can't find them under $60 not and not as well made, but your wonderful shot reminds me to go looking seriously this summer. Thanks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:42 AM) : 

i used to wear my espadrilles a lot last summer/this spring, but they actually start to hurt after some time... plus the white ones get dirty very quickly. anyway, i think they are great. especially on hot summer days they are more comfortable than ballett flats. oh, and love this look.

 

Blogger Miri said ... (1:49 AM) : 

actually they were a MUST in spain 3 years ago... and it seems they are back in europe this summer... ive seen them in london and switzerland.... so maybe its just and european thing

:)

ps: thay are really confortable and cheap!! i had one on every color!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 AM) : 

Please be respectful with a fashion item like ESPARDENYES. Gucci used them last year as a fashion footwear collection, nothing to say. Espardenyes are common in Catalonia on summer and they are an icon on Mediterranean way of live.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:12 AM) : 

well, they hurt above the heel when I wore them in the eighties
I mean, they always left me bleeding! and I had the right measure, it wasn't that
(sorry for my english, hope it's understandable)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 AM) : 

In France they did a big "come back" two years ago.

From old ones, mostly stone washed blue, people went to fancy colors stripes.

In a more sophisticated version some labels merged the espadrille style with the Roman sandals.
Latest ad' from Lacoste are great for this...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:17 AM) : 

toms are great! you can also get them at the marc by marc jacobs store for very cheap... (toms are better though)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:30 AM) : 

surely you jest!! espadrilles!! fashion faux-pas

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 AM) : 

here in belgium, all young people wear them...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:44 AM) : 

Espadrilles are available all over Paris this summer, and I've seen them on fashion forward individuals and those that are less so. I've also seen them making appearances in the south (particularly on men).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 AM) : 

Espadrilles started making a come back in France some two years ago. I think even Hermès had them in their summer collection at the time. I must admit they aren't very comfortable if you have to walk or cycle.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:51 AM) : 

Here in Paris you see espadrilles sometimes, and it always makes a great look. I got one pair too, and I'm waiting for the sunny days to wear them. The ony thing that could be a little "weird" is to wear "holiday shoes" at work. I'm pretty sure at least half of the people will laught at them, but if it looks great, I don't give a damn. And converse are so "I had no other soes to wear" (but less than crocs)

 

Blogger studiokris said ... (3:07 AM) : 

Espadrilles have been popular here in Sweden for the last few years now for both men and women. They are the essence of easy, Summer casual and look great with chinos rolled (skinny) at the hem. I had a pair that fell off the foot but this is easily fixed with a few stitches to the back seam. I would say you are missing out!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:09 AM) : 

quite a trend. they are in all shops here in Moscow, we got a pair for each of us with my BF and truly enjoy it. They look clumsy and cute. I did not have them in the SU times, but now they do not fall off the leg. We even took them one size bigger for extra relaxed feeling.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:17 AM) : 

Here in Barcelona it's like THE summer shoes. Very useful when going to the beach or going for a walk. The best manufacturer: Castañer. Another nice summmer Shoes are the Majorcan Avarcas. Do you know them?

 

Blogger GvanMeinecke said ... (3:55 AM) : 

Nice one - goes very well all together ..so european
What do call this type of throusers? or are these chinos
Love espadrilles!!! been looking for ages for a pair
@ Lauren could please give me the website where u can buy them

Lacoste got in this year spring/summer nice ones Riba Jute called u find them s/s footwear / Men / club

Does anybody else have sites ?

 

Blogger Jeremy Atherton Lin said ... (3:57 AM) : 

I got mine in an old fashioned shop in Cornwall. They are the shoes I get the most compliments on, and the cheapest. I too wore mine with stripes recently, but felt a little yachty. I'm trying to stagger my maritime items so as not to become a costume!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:05 AM) : 

espadrilles are great and sooo stylish specially on men!

In the 1920 and 30's men wore them with summer pants, preferable narrow pants and with ankle straps, that really looks so cool , still now , there is one man in paris who still knows how to wear them during summer, he is the owner of a great specialty store " Anatomica" in the marais. They are a pain if you want shoes in your size while they tend to sell them to you 2 sizes bigger, apperantly that is how you should wear your shoes, but they are "uber" cool. Scott that is probably the place to go whenever you are back in paris.

 

Blogger The Fashionist.se said ... (4:07 AM) : 

Converse does not let the foot breath, espadrilles does...I`am flying to Barcelona and I will buy some....

 

Blogger Michael said ... (4:16 AM) : 

There's just no comparison between Espadrilles and Chuck Taylors when it comes to perspiration! Espadrilles keep your feet cool, CTs in the summer feel like your feet are stuck in two mini-saunas.

And yes, buy them on the small side and they'll soon fit like a glove.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:32 AM) : 

Very in vogue here in Portugal and Spain. I have it and love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:37 AM) : 

You are missing out !
Espadrille is the French CHic summer shoe ! (Im french)
Men in espadrille are so cool in summer in Paris.
Seriously it is chic, cheap , and can adapt to any outfit since there are mutitudes of color.
Even as a woman i where them. Even thought the original does look wonders on men.
xxx
Daphnee

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 AM) : 

Here in Berlin the espadrilles-thing started 3 years ago. I liked them a lot but I don't think they are an option for me this summer. Look good on the picture though.

 

Blogger Ana said ... (4:43 AM) : 

They were really popular here in France 2 years ago and they're making a comeback on my boyfriend's feet ;-)
I like them if they're not too slouchy, it makes your look nonchalant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:53 AM) : 

Here in France, espadrilles are de rigeur especially in beachy areas. Saw a distinguished older man with chocolate brown leather ones. He looked relaxed and hip. Here's a link for striped espadrilles from the Basque region: http://basicfrenchonline.com/htm/product_info.php?products_id=100

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 AM) : 

I see them a lot in Paris and I really like them! They're great comfortable summer wear! Of course- it depends on the outfit and occasion. I think they look great here!

 

Blogger Ah! said ... (5:12 AM) : 

Amazed at mentions of Spain and Catalonian holidays :D
I wear them in the house, and also for beach/swimming pool, because they are much better than plastic sandals.
Not for the city, though, because they are not really comfortable for long walks, and break easily. (But sometimes, when I'm having an I-don't-care-how-I-look day, I do).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:20 AM) : 

I read in a magazine the other day that they are, as you say, this summer's great footwear option. But it wasn't a fashion magazine and I haven't seen it anywhere else, so I'm still a bit sceptical! I guess if you can pull it off like this then go for it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:24 AM) : 

Espadrilles, Espadrilles. Just cool, relax, like you were in the Hamptons, that's only my idea of espadrilles...
Hey, the Sarto.. i'm really fond of your pictures.. It's a pleasure. See you for news ++

 

Blogger António Erre said ... (5:34 AM) : 

I agree with you Sart. Espadrilles were a must "via Ralph Lauren" (remember the advertising campaign of the 80's).
I still use them as slippers, in the summer, in Tangier and Cabanas at Algarve,

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 AM) : 

They definitely bring back childhood memories - summer holidays en Provence... and they are worth trying again: not meant to last forever, cheap and comfy (even maybe not made for running around the city for hours), yet classy (unlike other things from the 80s). So why not give it a try? It goes without saying that you shouldn't wear them if there's even the slightest chance of rain...
Oh, and another pro that hasn't come up yet in comparison with the alternative: Converse/Keds/Superga/etc. worn in the heat of summer = sweaty, smelly feet
So much for Espadrilles!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:50 AM) : 

jesus, these are a huge thing in denmark! they are SO popular back here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:50 AM) : 

in europe, they're very usual I love them on men.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:58 AM) : 

I'm from Spain and most people wear "esparde�as" here. I love them, they can be very cool sometimes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:01 AM) : 

it's as simple as rubber versus jute. the upper canvas remains. if you'll be running though, there are few good words you can put in for espadrilles.

 

Blogger Bea said ... (6:08 AM) : 

I agree, only suitable with really warm weather.
Great mix:
pink lacoste + khakhis to the knee+ espadrilles+ a nice tan :)

Flip flops also slide off and everybody wears them....better espadrilles, I don't want to remember the things I've sometimes seen inside flip flops. They called them feet but they were long nailed dirty paws!

It's stupid how fond I am of blond men.

Congrats for your blog!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:18 AM) : 

If your spadrilles (alpargatas or esparteñas in Spanish) tend to fall off your feet you bought the bigger number. That being the case, I suggest you act as we Spanish do and wear them heeled off.
They're more comfortable and fresher than converse for hotter days.
The peeptoe models are the coolest for girls.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:43 AM) : 

Yea it's Espardenya :P
I can't say I like them too much, they're high end casual/I live on the street-ish.
Not my thing.
But I guess they're perfect for warm summers and walking in the Pyrenees!

 

Blogger Gilad said ... (6:45 AM) : 

love the shoes and the pants. however i have to say the cardigan is kind of over. it seems like every man on the street is wearing some sort of variation of a horizontal striped sweater. moreover, blue and white stripes. how unoriginal. i realize it's a staple of the yachting/sailing look. but this scandinavian looking guy just looks plain conventional. at least he wore alpargatas instead of converse. then he would have really looked like a gap ad.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:46 AM) : 

Espadrilles are the most stylish and elegant shoe one can wear, at least in the casual-sphere of foot wear.
Houellebecq wrote about them as one of the most pleasurable things in life.
Men in a summer suit+espadrilles are so sexy, nothing beats that. They look casual but elegant, wheras I find sandals on men look easily feminin (plus a beautiful foot is a MUST) and sneakers in summer looks like the guy has nothing better to wear.
Prudence

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:51 AM) : 

Grismarengo. I Vote for Espadrilles ("espardenyes", which is a catalan and traditional shoe Spain). Symply classic and atemporal. In dry summer possibly the most comfortable shoes, and enough stylish to be the protagonist of the summer collection of Lacoste. Even the classic ones with. Look a this page of Spanish Vogue:

http://www.vogue.es/index.php/mod.desfiles/mem.detalle/iddesfile.66655/idseccion.67095/relcategoria./chk.6ab5f373538180974c3cefc15aa72b77.html

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:59 AM) : 

Here in France we used to wear Espadrilles during summer.

Personnaly i love black one

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:07 AM) : 

Spadrilles are a must in Spanish men apparel, I don't know any guy here that does not own a pair, either for the beach or to wear in casual styles in general, any color, they are cheap and if they get dirty you just throw them away and get a new pair. For women, better to get a pair of CASTAÑER. For girls is a nice cute casual outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:18 AM) : 

My Espadrilles (4 pair) are refreshed every summer. Love them. No sweat and feels like walking barefoot. Converse make me sweat. And Espa's like nice because they are that simple.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:20 AM) : 

Espadrilles are not for the city, any city except perhaps St Tropez? But they are a great beach shoe. As for falling off he foot; when i was a child in France we used to carefully and neatly fold down the backs, and wear them like a canvas clog - easier to shake the sand out too. For the city, i'm with you on the converse.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 AM) : 

they work..if your spanish or south american. and squash the back heel down so there more like slides. but apart from that...wear with caution!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 AM) : 

Espadrilles have been popular in Denmark for the past few years now, but they seem to have peaked now. Now gladiator sandals are all over the place!!!
Espadrilles are quite comfortable, but the material is crappy for a shoe. After a month they are good to throw out!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:05 AM) : 

Just bought a white pair in Barcelona in a cool shop in Santa Maria del Mar area.

To be used for beach days.

As an Italian, I could not afford a larger use of them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:25 AM) : 

It is classier and more of a statement than a converse....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 AM) : 

It's the name that does it, at least for me, this far south of the equator. I thought they were a bit passe until I was reminded of their correct name. Now every callow youth from Bondi to Bell's Beach will take on a whiff of the elegant, which should put paid to their popularity immediately.

 

Blogger Mark M Skiba said ... (8:38 AM) : 

I'm reminded of all the times I've worn them clubbing and they've slipped off as they were literally stuck to a sticky dance floor...and all the other times I've worn them all day pounding the city concrete streets shopping and ended up with tired feet by the end of the day.

...having said that, I still think they're great, as they are easy to throw in the washing machine being cheap canvas, and work with many dress situations. I just need to stop wearing them if I'll be on the run all day!

By the way, must be worn with sockettes! You shouldn't be able to see them and you'll be able to wear them for a while no sweat.

Here in Melbourne, Australia, they're all the rage for any season and quite a diverse range of guys are wearing them - from the new wave kids hanging out at all the super cool, hard-to-find laneway bars in the central city to slightly-older guys who are married with kids but haven't lost they're groove. Last Summer they were everywhere, teamed with shorts cutting a bit above the knee or half way up the thigh (for those with a bity more courage!). I dare say that they were the best footwear for short shorts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 AM) : 

ESPADRILLES ARE A TRAIN WRECK...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 AM) : 

I bought two pairs in Saint-Jean-de-Luz about five years ago. I loved finding them in their natural environment, made me feel like an authentic traveller. They reminded me of Hemmingway's friends Sara and Gerald Murphy, photographed on the beach, or the Radziwells exploring the Med in the 60's.

I loved those espadrilles, and wore them around Positano and Capri and the year after in Montauk with 80's Ralph Lauren madras pants. They define Summer ease... but never wear them in town!!! (unless you're skinny, sixteen, in a band- and even then...)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:01 AM) : 

They are really "in" here in Europe, or at least in Spain and France. In the Basque Country we wear them even if they are not trendy any more. You should never let them down in summer!

 

Blogger amy said ... (9:01 AM) : 

i love my chucks, been wearing them for over 20 years, but the espadrilles do look fresh. love the chocolate with the navy/white. if i remember correctly, the espadrilles hurt at the end of the day and the converse don't. big in spain still, right?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 AM) : 

How could you survive a summer without them? As a female, I favor the version with the 2.5 inch wedge and the ties around the ankle. I buy two every summer in different colors from Jildor.com (made by Andre Assous) and have my shoe genius put a thin rubber layer on the bottom so they don't disintegrate in the rain. Inexpensive, comfortoble, versatile, and just look at Coco Chanel in any summer photo.

 

Blogger amy said ... (9:05 AM) : 

w/out the espadrilles, i think this look would be bland. the chocolate color keeps it sophisticated.

 

Blogger raguandroses said ... (9:06 AM) : 

Look great if they're Castaner and there's a woman with nice legs wearing them...only man they looked good on was Picasso and I think this boy was inspired by him when he pulled of this look.Converse rule!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 AM) : 

Brooks Brothers had great espadrilles for women last year but the sizing ran super-small. Love his in brown.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

people, one doesn't need to choose between all stars and espadrilles... they both rock in different ways.

 

Blogger Hovey Vintage said ... (9:27 AM) : 

Who wouldn't want to feel a bit more European wearing espadrilles and basking in the summer sun while having a long leisurely lunch. They are the summer must have!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 AM) : 

That was a misquote, it's Philippe Delerm who wrote of the pleasure of slipping on a pair of espadrilles comes summer, not Houellebecq, which didn't sound acurate..
-Prudence

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 AM) : 

when i was a young girl in iowa in the later 80's early 90's i was rocking out the espadrills like no one else....now that i think about it, i have no idea where i could have bought them...anyway, my feeling about them now is that they are due for a comeback - for men or women. they're effortless and chic and a bit iconic. having said that, i now wear Tom's. btw, this guy's hairline is fierce.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 AM) : 

They are the rage in Spain. Whenever I'm in Madrid or Barcelona I get a pair in a fun color.

 

Blogger Josh said ... (10:12 AM) : 

When I worked at Cargo (when the magazine still existed) we ran a spread on espadrille, and we weren't the only ones. That was, what, two or three years ago? So they've been on the radar for a bit already.

Actually, now that I think about it, you've photographed Bruce Pask, Josh Peskowitz, and Eugene Tong on this site - they were all at Cargo, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

try the slip-on version of spain's 'victoria' shoes -- the spanish version of keds. very very cute. and lots of colours. (and they've got the sweetest tiny rainbows victoria tag). they look similar to these. i know you can get them in london, so imagine they could be found SOMEWHERE in nyc.

 

Blogger Emma said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Hell yes!! If you'd like a slightly more upmarket espadrille go for a pair of Toms - they are super comfortable and look great in the summer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 AM) : 

I pretty much feel the same way about them. Cheap, doesn't hold up well if you're very pedestrian. To the beach, pool sure fine. I did buy a stylish variation of them by DKNY with red straps. The amount of attention I got was overwhelming. Probably due to the contrast against my dark skin but that's as close as it'll get for me. http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/25361146/c/2111.html

 

Blogger LE BLOG said ... (10:18 AM) : 

Our "alpargatas" are very cheap here in Spain (like 4$), and they are perfect for summer. Although I prefer them on men, (on women they look less "elegant").

 

Blogger KB said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Love them. They're cheap but comfortable. Great around the house as slip-ons, but also for when the weather prevents socks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:23 AM) : 

That has been an european trend for seasons.

 

Blogger Luciernaka said ... (10:24 AM) : 

I lived last year in Salamanca in Madrid. Pija heaven. Espadrilles were everywhere. I thought they were sort of silly then, too fragile for a big city, but now I like them. They are sort of nostalgic, romantic, long lost summer nights of youth or something.

 

Blogger laceybediz said ... (10:39 AM) : 

I was just thinking about how I wish I had brought my pair back from France--- I have been wanting to wear them! It seems everyone had them where I was in Limousin, France-- it wasn't even for style just an easy shoe for the summer time--but looked quite nice. Though, the really aren't too comfortable, but easy to get on and off.

 

Blogger Lindsey said ... (10:44 AM) : 

Those are Toms not espadrilles. They are super comfy and made in an earth friendly manner. Also, they donate a free pair of shoes to kids in need. Also, the owner of Toms is ABSURLDY HOT.


Serhorn.blogspot

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 AM) : 

I live in Paris and you find espadrilles sold on the streets everywhere. At first I was a little hesitant, but I hate seeing and wearing flip-flops in public. I bought some espadrilles for 5 euros and they are great. The key is to buy them a bit smaller than your usual size. You want them secure on your foot. I recommend a rethink.

 

Blogger Ignacia said ... (10:54 AM) : 

Here in Chile they are very popular in summer, since a couple of years.

 

Blogger jakubowski said ... (10:56 AM) : 

seems like you need to have purchased them in Spain...

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (10:57 AM) : 

They fell off my foot too. Maybe it's because I have a narrow heel. Also, I found the bottoms itchy in hot hot weather.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:07 AM) : 

These are a good new choice.... here's the link
http://www.schmoove-eshop.com/achat/produit_details.php?id=904

Also, why not Spring Court's instead on Converse????

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 AM) : 

Just go through some vintage Lartigue photos - those great style shots might put you in an espadrille mood!
I would always look twice (in a good way) at a guy in espy's.

 

Blogger Michael said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Like everything else, it depends on the wearer. I know I (a guy) could never wear them, but they do look good on the guy in the pic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

We in Europe love them an use them all the time! Espadrilles in all kinds off colors are allways a great add to your outfit! You should have them in USA too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 AM) : 

I'm so surprised to see such an unabashed love of espadrilles which I think are simply hideous and ill chosen - on men (at least in American cities, my experience) and women (cheap looking, IMHO) and because they dirty and wear so quickly look like they should be discarded soon after purchase. Stick with Converse Sart! (I love this guy's cardigan, though).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 AM) : 

France, South-West coast. Summer. Beach. Espadrilles everywhere !
It's a "must have".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 AM) : 

I never thought about it until this post. Now I want some. But for the beach only, and really hot days. Now, where to find them in Los Angeles.

 

Blogger mh said ... (11:47 AM) : 

I have worn espadrilles for more than twenty years. They are a timeless classic. My foot is a half size, so I go up a size. The trick to make them form fitting is to wear them, wet them & let them dry. They conform to your foot perfectly.

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (11:50 AM) : 

These look a lot like TOMS, the company that donates a pair for every pair you buy. Some people dislike them, but considering the cause they're a half-decent looking shoe.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 PM) : 

Walk around Barcelona from May to Septembre, you'll see tons of espardilles.

With and without heels, they have plenty combinations, colors and different models.

And (some) of them are very cheap!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

I have a black pair from France and wear them with the backs crushed down (like slippers). I think they pair well with beach wear and anything linen - especially nice wide-legged trousers.

I would never wear espadrilles in the city – seems strange.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:27 PM) : 

Every year I buy a pair of espadrilles when I am on vacation in France. You cannot be in a hurry when you wear them. And that's a nice feeling when on vacation in France.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 PM) : 

Here in Munich they are actually very popular but mostly amongst teenagers. Navy, green and white ones are the most common.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 PM) : 

I love the relaxed and streamlined look of espadrilles. I have been debating getting some for spring/summer. Does anyone have a recommendation for where to purchase them in America?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 PM) : 

The older they are, the better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:08 PM) : 

come in France... and you will see !!!

 

Blogger An Aesthete's Lament said ... (1:24 PM) : 

I have 20-odd pairs of espadrilles that I bought in Madrid a few years ago. My favorites are white and have traditional ankle laces in bright red.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

stick to loafers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:02 PM) : 

They are very popular in Paris. I wear them with the back folded in so they become more akin to a flip flop, and have actually seen them with the material that would ordinarily go around the heel folded in stores like Faconnable. Much better then converse, as converse are worn by every living creature on earth, and unlike coca-cola something is lost because of this mass consumption.

 

Blogger Jill said ... (2:27 PM) : 

DH picked up two pairs in Spain a couple of years ago. he gets grief from his v. conservative U.S. friends, but he likes to wear them in the summer. he has sensitive feet so buys them lined. i think they were about 10 Euro a pair then.

i personally wear a pair that i bought at the same time - wedges and lace ups (i don't wear flats) - and they are so comfortable. i have a couple of bastardized American versions with leather and also a rubber sole. they've held up very well but i don't consider wearing them if the sky even hints at rain.

i think this man looks great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

ive worn them all my life and stopped wearing them when i moved back tot he us a few years ago. then last year i found them in brazil and started wearing them again, then mr elbaz made them for lanvin, and i realized they were back. Now i see them everywhere. they are the most comfortable shoe ever. so much better than a converse, but then again i dont wear sneakers.

 

Blogger Alexandra Rose Penney said ... (2:35 PM) : 

i think men's espadrilles are quite chic and european.

ralph lauren makes some wonderful variations.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:39 PM) : 

I had a dozen pair in the 80s...bought in France...as cheap as a magazine.

Now I live in Brooklyn. They are not for the city IMO. But I don't wear flipflops on the street either.

 

Blogger styleandsubstance said ... (2:40 PM) : 

I've had espadrilles and never found them that comfotable. I got a pair of TOMS and after wearing them for the day went back and got two more pair. MUCH more comfortable! Also if it is raining, no big deal cause the sole is more of a rubbery thing than a rope thing. Plus I can't discount the "sell a pair/give a pair away to charity" thing the company does. They are pretty cheap too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 PM) : 

142 comments on espadrilles?! Enough already people! Sart, have you made your mind up? your public wants an American in London Sart opinion...

 

Blogger Smalls said ... (2:48 PM) : 

To second an early post. Toms are great. I have them in 2 colors and they can be a great contrast with a spring/summer suit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:52 PM) : 

i love this look! i'm an espadrille-ophile. just the other day i made my boyfriend get a pair of loose white linen pants for the summer and fantasized out loud about getting him a pair of navy blue or brown espadrilles to go with them, like this class act. a favorite espadrille memory is in spain during holy week at seville's semana santa processions -- the 17th-century virgins and jesus floats are carried on the backs of men hidden from view as they plod down the narrow cobblestone streets for hours, and sometimes the only glimpse you get of these schleppers is of their feet, many clad in fraying, sweat-stained espadrilles.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:52 PM) : 

we are HEATED on the subject of espadrilles aren't we?
I like the classy silhouette created but I prefer to do it with a marc jacobs vans slip-on, say. It's an upmarket take on a hipster classic. I will not be wearing these espadrilles.
(and If I'm made to choose from the presented options go converse all the way)
seriously though, vans x marc jacobs.
B.S.M.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:12 PM) : 

I think they look nice and relaxed. The shape is very similar to Tom's shoes; which you may consider more because of the philanthropic cause: http://www.tomsshoes.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:20 PM) : 

Espadrilles.... part of my life and growing up always blue for some reason, for house with the heel turned down, beach, town, dresses or trouses - they are for any one who wants to be comfortable in the summer. Buy them a little bit on the small side because the material will give. Converse has a long history but espadrilles go back further. Lovely photo and wonderful chocolate brown.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:34 PM) : 

It's the must have of this summer! Perfect with a 40's pant short cut. I've bought wonderfull ones, especially at Lanvin...It's Paris must have!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:35 PM) : 

Didn't Cary Grant wear espadrilles in "To Catch A Thief"?

Say no more.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 PM) : 

Espadrilles are a great summer shoe...cooler and more breathable than converse for the hot summer months. an ankle tie on the girls version helps with the slipping.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:47 PM) : 

The shoes define the style I think. With this outfit espadrilles make the look nautical and summery. Whilst Converse would change the look to slightly geeky French student.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:50 PM) : 

I think converse and espadrilles are way too different to be compared against each other. Espadrilles are great in the summer if you don't need to walk much (they burn the soles of your feet). Wonderful and mega stylish as beach wear, my favorite are black and I always wear them with the heel tucked under my feet. I would totally buy them! You'll feel as if you are in southern France and you only want to wear stripped t-shirts all of a sudden!!

 

Blogger Aileen Kwun said ... (4:12 PM) : 

espradrilles are great for the summer because they're so light and airy and bendy! guaranteed to not make your feet sweat, nor your shoes smelly, which is important when you don't want to deal with socks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:12 PM) : 

No. I think they are a marvelous shoe for this beyond handsome man. They are a good choice in two occasions- 1) you are European 2) you have this sort of waif/flaneur/boy-as-gamine sort of look. If one has a more objectively minded appearance I think they are too slip on, zoom about on your vespa to get a gelato...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:32 PM) : 

the secret to keep them not to fall off is to try buy a size smaller because they tend to strecht. You can buy them in Belgium in supermarkets for 2-3 euros and they'll have a fabric inside as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:44 PM) : 

They are super comfy, and you can pull different styles with it! I would defenitely give it a chance this summer :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:52 PM) : 

they are getting very popular in england but the quality of them is much to be desired..in fact they are widely worn all over europe

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:54 PM) : 

I wear my TOMS on an almost daily basis now thats warmed up...

 

Blogger Aby Martini said ... (5:04 PM) : 

They are back this summer and thats a fact. Think of them as the summer version of the Vans slip-ons.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 PM) : 

*love* espadrilles -- take a look at thestringrepublic.com, which has graphic designers from europe design the fabrics for witty, sometimes subversive espadrilles that look nothing like the ones your parents wore.

 

Blogger Sofie said ... (6:00 PM) : 

espadrillos are great, comfy and stylish!
not to mention cheap!

love that these ones are brown... it makes the outfit i reckon. great with the cropped pants.

xx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:13 PM) : 

i like espadrilles. the key is to buy them at least a size smaller than you normally would, because they stretch like crazy. then the mould perfectly to your foot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:13 PM) : 

I prefer Espadrilles. The guy looks so relaxed. I love this sixties Côte d´azur feeling, met Godard and the young Delon with Romy Schneider... easy society style.
I own two pairs made of suede leather and all my collegs want them too! If you want more expensive ones, take a look at Lacoste and Bally.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 PM) : 

Up state New York seems to be in love with slipper-esque shoes. I live in a small, white kid, suburban city four hours outside of 'the city,' and the neighbouring cities/towns influence our sense of style greatly. Last year moccasins were huge. Now it's boat shoes, silly Vans slip-ons (which I secretly love and own), and the likes. I frequently see slippers walk by... So maybe they are in style?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:48 PM) : 

"Here in Munich they are actually very popular but mostly amongst teenagers. Navy, green and white ones are the most common."

I agree, all the pretty boys at university wear them!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:08 PM) : 

Hi,
yes, they are originary from Catalonia and Mallorca, both mediterranean regions. They are awesome, and from a stylish point of view, more than apropiatte for this summer, in fact it's a basic, always good to consider.
Good things: fresh, easy, stylish (price!)
Not so good things: Need to buy them quite tight if not they fall easy- They cannot accept a drop of water, when they get wet they grow and become super-heavy forever.

Yes, buy a pair!
smiles and greetings,

k

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:29 PM) : 

Espadrilles rock. They always remind me of my honeymoon in South of France where I bought them and worn them to pieces in NYC. They remind my husband of his teenage years in England in early 80's. It's a shoe that seem to always have memories associated with it. They look great on this gentleman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 PM) : 

i eat toms too. its appropriate for man to equally have a shoe for every occasion. dig into espys as fashion may be dated but individual style never is.

 

Blogger GQ's Own said ... (7:45 PM) : 

Converse so classic and comfortable... They certainly work in the picture. Though I have not met many shoes that can out do a pair of jack parcells or varvatos converses...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 PM) : 

"Alpargatas" (as we call them in Argentina) are part of the traditional 'Gaucho' outfit. They have been in our culture for a loooong time, and most people who live in the countryside and/or like the country wear them. They are comfortable but I don't wear them as I don't really like how they look on me.
They cost like 10 Pesos here ($3 with the currency change) so if anyone tries to charge you waaay more than that, don't let them steal from you!


Ps. I LOVE my Converse. I'll stick with them ;)

 

Blogger Eric said ... (7:46 PM) : 

Gucci did a really great take on the men's espadrille last season - nothing too feminine and still keeping the classic look in place. Espadrilles can be thought of as a much more relaxed, broken-in "summer loafer" or slipper.

 

Blogger tintin said ... (8:01 PM) : 

On women fine but not on men. I get the impression men who own a fur coat also own a closet floor full of Espadrilles. Do you own a fur coat, Schu?

 

Blogger sintia said ... (8:55 PM) : 

Coverse.but the espadrille did put up a strong fight.In the pic there worn in such good taste .They make the outfit look effortless in the laid back cool kinda way.

 

Blogger Kwana said ... (9:04 PM) : 

I'm calling them a classic. They are too comfortable not too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 PM) : 

Lots of boys, not men, are wearing them in Sydney. They are percieved to be very boho chic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 PM) : 

You can get a cheap pair (7.80 Euro) at La Manual Alpargatera in the Barri Gotic in Barcelona where Dali used to get them, I know its more or less of a tourist trap but the price is right especially when your a guy and your not particularly interested in Castaner heels.

 

Blogger Seanrwatson2 said ... (11:51 PM) : 

I like this look. Usually I'm not so much of a fan of stripes, but being a cardigan combined with the slip-ons and slacks, a retrospective feel is captured. Very classy and intellectual.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 AM) : 

This look is not for everyone, I find it a little twee for men. I think European men can probably pull it off, but for my money, a Jack Purcell or Chuck Taylor is more classic.....hope i don't see you wearing them ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 AM) : 

definitely a beach shoe, or week-end footwear in lieu of flip-flops. but i like the way this fair gentleman wears them. very 80's, what with the tapered shorter white jeans.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 AM) : 

In New Zealand we all wear them, (young people)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting