This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.... W. 16th, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

On the Street.... W. 16th, NYC


To be fair, I think the bike is a loaner from his hotel.

Comments on "On the Street.... W. 16th, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 AM) : 

A loner and a loaner...
That's a pretty cool bike. I like it's lines for a city, built for comfort bicycle. I'd like to know what hotel is cool enough to loan such bicyclettes. I like the rider's style too, but think that he should not way it down with that sweater across his shoulders. It makes him look a little bulky in light of the "sporting" context.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:13 AM) : 

This outfit seems perfectly balanced for spring weather. I would like to see how the pants fit standing up or walking, though. The hat is excellent, in colour and shape, especially with his long hair. I usually hate shoes with no socks but this works.

PS Do you mean 'loner' or 'loaner (a in 'on loan'?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:50 AM) : 

my old roots. i agree with jeremy about the sweater.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 AM) : 

Love both the photograph and the outfit. I particularly like the way the light hits the bike frame (hides all the stickers!!!) and creates a contrast with the mostly dark outfit. Agree with 8:13 on the sockless shoes- it works because the shoes are high quality and of a basic design. I think he cuffed up the jeans so as to avoid the chain (been there). Like the blue-black with the tan cashmere and hat. From all your photos, this is one of my favorites, thanks! Jorge from West Palm Beach

 

Blogger cat minoki said ... (9:09 AM) : 

Paul Hance?
I don´t know him personally, but
man, he looks oooooooooohhhhhhhh so good!
Why is he trying to hide so hard behind the hat, the shades?
Any secrets?

Love his shoes and jeans, not so much the hat. I reccon he is a complicate character. Is he?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:14 AM) : 

Loaner or not, he looks outstanding. What else matters?

 

Blogger Zakary said ... (9:15 AM) : 

art deco lives

 

Blogger lisa said ... (9:19 AM) : 

he looks great! good shot, too!

 

Blogger mette said ... (9:22 AM) : 

So it has started again-men wearing shoes without socks.The bike looks fine, but that hat and the sweater around his neck. I think he is trying too hard. The photo is well balanced.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 AM) : 

Lovely perfection. I am particularly partial to the pants (the shortened length and cuff, brilliant) and the sockless shoes.

Energie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 AM) : 

i like the outfit on its own, but the sockless shoes while riding a bike makes me think he is trying to hard. Its hard enough to walk in hard leather shoes like that without socks, i cant imagine it feels good to bike ride in them.

 

Blogger benson said ... (10:01 AM) : 

Snaps to the hotel for having bikes to loan--and thumbs up to the well put together bike rider.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:02 AM) : 

He is a new dandy, love his attitude, and his bicycle....

 

Blogger anthony said ... (10:05 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger trulymadlydeeply said ... (10:10 AM) : 

chic to the 9nes. panache personified

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 AM) : 

Me like it!
I think the secret is that his jacket and his jeans length are almost the same in the picture. So... you can see some skin when he is all covered with the hat, the sun glasses and off course the sweater.The bike is what makes him take that position, and so it shows great proportions in terms of how the clothes fit..
XX

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 AM) : 

The hat really works on him. Only a man with substantial hair could pull it off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

thank you Ralph Lauren.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:58 AM) : 

i've decided to start dressing like a man...beginning with a pair of loafers

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Cute!

Love the cuffed jeans.

 

Blogger jessica said ... (11:09 AM) : 

but he's coooool enough to borrow it, and dress the part!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:24 AM) : 

Sleek and sophisticated. The accessories add intrigue ...

 

Blogger jestandefer said ... (12:14 PM) : 

loaner bike or not, this is a great look! the hat and shades are amazing and the shoes are great. one of my favorite looks of the biking male is the rolled up pant leg(s); it is odd but i love it.

 

Blogger anyimage said ... (12:35 PM) : 

Wow that's my old block! And to think it was just a bunch of tranny hookers and tough rats back then...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:10 PM) : 

I want to take a bicycle ride through the streets of New York with this guy.
I think I would fall in love with him then...

He looks so good; sophisticated and outstanding but down to earth though. Perfect match!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM) : 

great shot, reminds me of how everything becomes pure and clean in the summer. The cities arent dirty anymore, they´re green and bright.

the outfit is just right!, summer signs like no socks, hat and sunglasses.

I think the sweather is a great detail! it dosent matter if he looks a bit "buckly" the outfit wouldent be the same at all whitout the sweater.

love it!
(sorry for the bad spelling, It´s cause Im swedish)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:13 PM) : 

i want that bike! now!

 

Blogger sarang said ... (2:17 PM) : 

I like his shoes! I'm looking for the perfect pair of black oxfords, under $200. Thoughts?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 PM) : 

I love that bike!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 PM) : 

he reminds me of oscar wilde! i how a little leg made this outfit POP.

 

Blogger Anniq said ... (2:55 PM) : 

very cool picture!! i wish i could own a bike like this or even find a place to rents out bikes like this for the day!! his style is really cool, love the sweater around his neck

 

Blogger Wilhelmina Hernández said ... (3:12 PM) : 

He has the ankles for those pants. Overall, he looks super coooool. Cool's the only word that comes to mind. He seems like the slick type who'd light your cigarettes for you or something. I wonder where the jeans are from. They look like some amazing raw denim, I'd be shocked if they were just Levi's or something. I also love any Sart posting where they have one of those cool old-school bikes, I've come to find.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

Nice bike. Overall, the look is a bit affected. And no socks with that type of shoe is not very attractive.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:25 PM) : 

What a strange pose
What a strange man/child face
What's up with the hat?
No socks?
Not an appealing look

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:29 PM) : 

This "cat" is spot on. I love the sweater. He may need it later, where else should it go. Style & function.
Love the Japanese selvedge denim, great cut & color. The jacket is cool, kind of Japanese work wear style, maybe something Scandinavian. Dudes enjoying, peddling some cool. No socks, handmade shoes, no problema. This guy on that day put some smiles on some faces. Kind of romantic. Wheres the baguette in the basket?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:43 PM) : 

He could be riding a pink barbie scooter and still look cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:00 PM) : 

cooool bike!!

K

 

Blogger Percy Chatsworth said ... (4:00 PM) : 

Wow!

Perfection; from the sweater wrapped around his shoulders, his cuffed slim jeans, his shoes and the fabulous bike!

 

Blogger Post-it boy said ... (4:07 PM) : 

this man looks a bit hat stand. I love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:15 PM) : 

that bike is fantastic

ac

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:19 PM) : 

i believe the purpose of the rolled-up pant leg may be to prevent it from rubbing against the bike chain and getting greasy. i used to to do this all the time in college when i rode my bike to and from classes.
however, i do think slightly rolled-up pant legs is a great look, whether it's for practical purposes or not. only in the absence of socks, though.
fantastic outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:42 PM) : 

Hmm.. I am going to post something bitchy for the first time.
I don't like this. It's almost like he is too stylish. That sweater... so carefully positioned, and the cuffs of his jeans so perfectly rolled up to reveal just the right amount of his legs. It is too careful. Is that a good reason not to like a look? Probably not.
It's weird too because I also really like very put together look. Maybe it's just the choice of his clothes is meant to be worn in a little more easy going way.

 

Blogger Seanrwatson2 said ... (5:49 PM) : 

He pulls this off. A perfect ensemble for taking a walk or... going on a bike ride. I'd call it Indian Jones and the lost Ralph Lauren socks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:52 PM) : 

scott-did you see this on postsecret:http://bp1.blogger.com/_a7jkcMVp5Vg/SBsH42hZKAI/AAAAAAAAEy4/9kQ3OcWUIYA/s1600-h/sartorialist.jpg

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:29 PM) : 

Kiefer Sullivan, is that you?
Nice jacket.

 

Blogger MichaelK said ... (7:30 PM) : 

Why would you roll your right pant leg up if you already have a chainguard on the bike?

Must have forgotten he wasn't on a fixie.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:54 PM) : 

I generally find young men in hats look a little... contrived. But this guy has it LOCKED DOWN. He really 'gets' it with proportion and general aesthetics. Bravo!

 

Blogger Kaari Marie said ... (8:07 PM) : 

Perfect - made me miss New York all over again....just when I was getting used to the West coast!

 

Blogger matt williams said ... (8:21 PM) : 

I love the length of his pants.

 

Blogger Candace said ... (8:32 PM) : 

I haven't ridden a bike in so long....but if I had this one, I would never get off!

The hat is great as well....are those wayfarers he's wearing?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:38 PM) : 

Shoes without socks looks really uncomfortable. I like that he looks sleek, but the sweater around shoulders looks too poised.

I see tons of people on bikes coming over the bridge every morning. None of them ever have sweaters artfully thrown over the shoulder! So maybe it's a spontaneous outing hahah...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 PM) : 

DREAMBOAT!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 PM) : 

To Michelle 10:58,
Thank you for making me laugh aloud.
Brilliant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 AM) : 

I think the hat should be left for a vacation. I never liked the sweater tied behind but i like everything else he's wearing.Oh and the wheels of the bicycle.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 AM) : 

I like the jeans and even the sockless shoes, and of course the picture is fantastic - makes we want to get on a bike! But... I could tell without looking at the caption that this picture is from the US and not France. Somehow men here in France can wear outfits they clearly have thought about and yet not look like they are trying too hard.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:19 AM) : 

A biker chic!

 

Blogger Disneyrollergirl.net said ... (6:05 AM) : 

It is a bit contrived but...I like it. I think the hat is a bit much but it all works with the bike.

 

Blogger my jekyll doesnt hide said ... (6:44 AM) : 

perfect bike! if that is a loan, the hotel should have superb taste to purchase these..

 

Blogger Ashes and Milk said ... (7:27 AM) : 

Yesyes love the black and white and brown. What wonderful hotel provides its guests with a bike like this?!

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (7:38 AM) : 

I like this man's style even if the bike is loaned. But, why does he have to look so incognito with both hat and sunglasses?

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (11:04 AM) : 

This has it all. From his hair and hat to the lack of socks.. yes, I love it all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 PM) : 

I love the whole look! Yep, including the bike!
Definitely one of my faves!
I like the sockless shoes, though i prefer wearing a very low cut, skin toned, and super thin socks. They do exist.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:12 PM) : 

love everything knee down.

 

Blogger Karina Cifuentes said ... (1:29 PM) : 

Looking at the picture, I know exactly what the air feels like. I'm so happy summer is approaching. And yea, this guy has it ALL together. Plus, I'm a sucker for a guy on a beach cruiser.

 

Blogger kale daikon said ... (2:18 PM) : 

Oh my God, I don't know if I want him or want to be him. Both, I guess. Can women be dandies too? I have a very nice women's version of those oxfords by the Italian shoemaker Yin.

 

Blogger Cynthia D said ... (2:39 PM) : 

I saw this guy two days ago at that exact spot! West 16th St and 9th Ave, as this dude pedaled into the Maritime Hotel. If you didn't shoot this the day I saw him, then he wears the same thing repeatedly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 PM) : 

that's my man!! come bike with me

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:02 PM) : 

Great shoes, great jeans

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 PM) : 

I love him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:13 PM) : 

That bike does look a tad small for a guy his height. I think he has the seat cranked up as high as it will go! The whitewalls on the tires are really cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 PM) : 

I love it. I absolutely love this picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:17 AM) : 

i really like the way the flesh shown around his wrist balances the flesh shown around his ankle. Love the smooth lines of the bike, contrasting to his somewhat angular body. i want to live in New York with him!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:30 AM) : 

QUITE THE FOPPISH DANDY!

 

Blogger bomb.ass.ting said ... (8:22 PM) : 

This is such a nice fast look for a guy. He looks very cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 PM) : 

love the cuffed jeans. however - when i myself cuff my jeans all my friends laugh at me and tell me i look so swedish. that one can tell even from a hundred meters. is that so..? still..? and if that is so - maybe the funky cuffing is the reason for the success of swedish jeans all over the world :)

beautiful pic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 PM) : 

Well, even if it is a loaner, a part of me is in love.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:19 PM) : 

Wonderful picture!

The bike is a "Schwinn Cruiser", great American design classic.

 

Blogger rg. said ... (11:26 PM) : 

I adore this photo. The composition! The clothes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:50 AM) : 

I like that he looks a bit awkwardly too big on the bike. It somehow enhances the look

 

Blogger Hovey Vintage said ... (12:43 PM) : 

I love the very neatly folded bike chain avoidance cuff. Never do they look so nice. And the wide brim on the hat is quite a nice step away from the now ubiquitous straw fedora. And god, that bike: the white walls, those swoshing lines. It's perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

Sorry but that is probably this years best look, the trousers (Acne?), the hat, the too short sleeved jacket and on top of that the bike- all i can say is oh.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 AM) : 

Hi, at least i found what bike is this, it's a Felt Cruiser and it goes for 499$...

Bye

 

Blogger zincink said ... (2:16 PM) : 

this photograph is uber classic..so clean and crisp. great job.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting