This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Wrapped & Draped, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, April 03, 2008

On the Street.....Wrapped & Draped, NYC

Comments on "On the Street.....Wrapped & Draped, NYC"

 

Blogger * said ... (8:14 AM) : 

Nonchalance par excellence...great outfit! Great way of wearing it!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:26 AM) : 

Wow, she's done it beautifully. Not too bulky - just soft and folded. (And a beautiful face too.)

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (8:46 AM) : 

Very interesting! Very fairy like! I adore ALL the elements in this outfit and the way they are combined together, I'm also a fan of the way she did her hair. For me, a delicate and subtle silky dress under a raincoat or a coat is a winner combo.

But, what I really like about this photo is that I guess that she has been walking under the rain for hours and she doesn't really care any more if she looks good or bad or if her hair is well fixed or it isn't. She just smiled at the camera and then went on running, didn't she Sart?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 AM) : 

I hope some of the other comments will talk me into appreciating this one--right now it just looks to me like the unhappy result of a local surge of gravity. Sa-a-a-g...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 AM) : 

The placid attitude and confidence of this lady makes this outfit look beautiful on her. It would look like rags on someone else, but "complements" her beautifully. Scott, you know how to picture people's souls! really lovely pic.

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (9:21 AM) : 

Wow!

Beauty in the flesh will continue to rule the world.

- Florenz Ziegfeld

 

Blogger Nor said ... (9:25 AM) : 

For some reason this reminds me of the India shots.
I find it so beautiful. It is totally calm and unostentatious; the colours, textures and intelligent layering create an effect which seems supremely comfortable and easy yet maintains a certain structure or, at least, direction.
Serenity.

 

Blogger Katie said ... (9:25 AM) : 

Everything here slouches gorgeously. But the most striking thing about this woman, I think, is the smile in her eyes. She's a life liver, and it shows.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (9:43 AM) : 

She looks good!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 AM) : 

yes, if you're pretty enough you can wear the clothes you slept in.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:24 AM) : 

She looks pretty and fun, but it's more about who she is than what she's wearing.

So many of your menswear shots and their background comment are about tailoring and fit, yet for women you seem to focus almost entirely on fabrics and colors (and attitude).

All three of these are important attributes, but fit is still critical, and I think actually more difficult for women, because our bodies have more different shapes going on. I'd love to see you focus more on fit for women. I think I could learn a lot from it.

 

Blogger Anne Watkins said ... (10:25 AM) : 

She makes the sidewalk look like a trail in the forest, and the tangle of barbed wire like reeds clinging to rock. A beauty softening the urban landscape.
She is made of - not made up- a breath of fresh air.
thanks, Scott.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 AM) : 

Love everything about this picture - the girl (beautiful face and smile), the colours, textures, great boots, and the way she put all the elements together. I admit a weakness for slouchy and draped, IMO she achieved perfection. Much better look than starched, tight and buttoned up!

 

Blogger Topham Beauclerk said ... (10:51 AM) : 

This wouldn't be very attractive on a less attractive woman. She makes the clothes, not the other way 'round.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

This woman has obviously not been running (in boots?) as Gabriela said. I felt compelled to comment on that ridiculous fantasy. However, this woman's serious commitment to her slouch shows and it's workin'.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 AM) : 

This is such a bold look, and yet she seems so comfortable and natural in it. Simply inspiring. (And I use that word sparingly.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

Wow! New Delhi in NYC. And they said it couldn't be done.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (11:24 AM) : 

Very casual cool! She handles the volume so well, without being overwhelmed by it.

 

Blogger liz song mandell said ... (11:45 AM) : 

Sart, what attracted you to this woman's outfit? I like reading your reflections on an outfit.

I see this woman..and first thing I thought was that she looks like Minnie Driver. (haha) But, I think what strikes me is that she must be REALLY comfortable in all that loose apparel. ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:46 AM) : 

lovely

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

Loving the dramatic silhouette!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 PM) : 

I like the person who said if you're pretty enough, you can wear anything. Imagine someone looking like Rosie O'Donnell in this, and we'd all say how frumpy and ridiculous it is. God, I'm depressed now.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:49 PM) : 

Natural. Modern. Laid back beautyful. She looks like Anakin Skywalker´s mother in Star Wars.
/Sofie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

Stunning!

 

Blogger Jacq said ... (1:57 PM) : 

She's gorgeous, but the outfit is just sloppy. I don't like a single part of it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 PM) : 

I'd be even more impressed with this photo if you ate at Crosby Connection after taking it. That is, of course, if this picture was taken where I think it was taken. Bleecker between Lafayette and Bowery?

 

Blogger leslie said ... (3:29 PM) : 

It's really cool and trendy (love the boots), but it's terribly unflattering, which is something us women try to steer clear of. At least, I do.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:52 PM) : 

Love the soft color combination and drape of the fabrics, sort of achored by the boots. Looks great on her... lovely face and smile. But I couldn't be comfortable wearing all these drapey layers; I would feel as if everything would come undone. Works on her, but not for me....

~ Miss Mary

 

Blogger Playing Fashion said ... (3:54 PM) : 

very SASHAPIVOVAROVA)

 

Blogger Austin.Garnett said ... (4:06 PM) : 

i think attitude is the key to this outfit.. not necessarily her expression, but the attitude the look conveys. i really love this baggy style that i've been seeing lately ('draped' is a more elegant way of putting it..).
it's almost futuristic,, the way these pieces are so simple.

also, what's this about running?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

I hate everything about this, yet she looks fabulous. She's beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:32 PM) : 

I love your pictures: what camera do you use?

 

Blogger Anne Corrons said ... (5:21 PM) : 

Fabulous look with just drapped clothes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:01 PM) : 

She's so gorgeous she can wear as many layered sack-things as she likes - she's still just gorgeous.

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (6:17 PM) : 

To anonymous 11:03am. Get your mind out of the gutter and read between lines; you thought that I literally meant that she had been like jogging around the city, didn’t you? -In boats? - I meant it as a metaphor: like that she’s running around life. Can you get the idea?

I don’t know why I even bother to answer you; I guess I just enjoy writing. And, now I’m also compelled to say that labelling my comment as ‘ridiculous fantasy’ is not very nice. However, I’ll assume you were just having a ‘slouchy’ day. So, I forgive you - for this time.

 

Blogger 1234 said ... (6:28 PM) : 

she looks soo comfortable

 

Blogger Jael Paris said ... (6:44 PM) : 

I feel vindicated. I've been tucking my light weight wide-leg pants into my boots for an aviator look, but my roommate says they look silly. I'm ignoring my roommate, but it's nice to know more adventurous people like it as much as I do.

 

Blogger James David said ... (7:02 PM) : 

Her top is the only feature I see here that is elegantly draped. Also, the colors aren't very inspiring. I'd like to better see what her bag looked like, though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:28 PM) : 

Thank you for inpire fashion is everybody's life!!!!

 

Blogger lewehrman said ... (7:51 PM) : 

perfect. just perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 PM) : 

Beautiful color palette, a mix of neutrals equals chic and timeless outcome. A great sense of her own style, the epitome of belle naturelle!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 PM) : 

hey jael paris-- listen to your roommate! it's works here because the colors are so muted and all the long, soft folds somehow blend into a harmonious whole, but really and truly, wide pants tucked into boots usually look like a two foot tall m.c. hammer on a rainy day.
this woman is obviously some kind of genius. a very hot genius.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 PM) : 

she really pulls this look off well. i agree, very soft and calming. her smile show confidence. the jewelry is soft and femme. love the boots. wonderful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:57 PM) : 

She looks a bit like she's just rolled out of bed, scooped up some clothes from the floor, and draped them over herself haphazardly; but it works! She looks good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 PM) : 

It's been too long since eccentricity in women's fashion has been appreciated. I love seeing oddballs like this and hope that women like her (and the recent ELLE article on the subject) help create a resurgence. While I'm not crazy about this particular look, at least it's interesting.

It takes a different kind of confident woman to pull off a style that doesn't rely on showing off her figure, and to me, that's way more appealing. Sure, she's pretty and that keeps this looking fashionable, but she could have just as easily gone with heels and some sexy dress. Instead she got creative. That's awesome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 PM) : 

I hate to sound so negative because I enjoy this blog very much, but this look is just depressing. It's sloppy, baggy, and unflattering. The ONLY reason to swoon over this is because the girl herself is beautiful. I agree with the other comments that said that you can get away with anything if you're pretty enough. To me this is the kind of outfit Bea Arthur wore in the Golden Girls. Had this girl been bigger or maybe not as cute, we'd all be sitting here saying she's just trying to hide her body, she's not comfortable, she's frumpy, unconfident, etc. Heck, she would probably not have even been posted here if she wasn't pretty. I'm sorry to say it but I don't think this really qualifies as a "style" picture. It's a nice photograph and the subject is lovely, but the clothes aren't helping.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 PM) : 

shes pretty

 

Blogger p8ntr said ... (10:29 PM) : 

Topham Beauclerk commented that "This wouldn't be very attractive on a less attractive woman. She makes the clothes, not the other way 'round."

I agree totally with the last sentence. That's exactly the point of dressing yourself with style - knowing what works for you and what materially expresses your inner self. I think she looks absolutely gorgeous because this suits her and think it would be pretty depressing to see this look widely imitated by women, attractive or otherwise, who let the clothes 'wear' them. They would look like they are trying to hide their bodies in a potato sack. It is possible to deeply admire someone's look without feeling you have to adopt it for yourself.

 

Blogger cbkphotos said ... (10:46 PM) : 

i love the layers!!!!!
so awesome!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 PM) : 

The colors are soothing.

Too tight can be contrived and cumbersome. Too loose can be contrived and cumbersome. How do you find a balance?

 

Blogger FOUNDfashion said ... (11:03 PM) : 

Maybe she was inspired by the possibility they found D.W. Griffith's parachute? Either way I love this look!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:18 PM) : 

The braids make the outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 PM) : 

woohooo! i'm wearing 10 blankets!

i'm kidding, it looks cool.

 

Blogger Sarah Lynne said ... (11:43 PM) : 

for some reason I am really into lots of fabric and right now... tunics, high-waisted wide leg with big blouses, wide leg and tunics... this is perfect. i'm going to try something like this tomorrow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:14 AM) : 

This is such a relaxed look yet she looks unique. Although the clothes all look over-sized she made it work somehow. ... it's all about the over- all look

 

Blogger pepastyling said ... (1:28 AM) : 

Those boots!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:54 AM) : 

the hair looks terrible, sorry the whole outfit is a bit too bulky for my taste.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 AM) : 

i didn't really care for this from far away but when i enlarged it i actually liked it.. i think it works. i love that shirt too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 AM) : 

Found Fashion,

I think you mean DB Cooper not DW Griffiths. Griffiths was a movie producer in the 20s. DB Cooper was a highjacker who jumped out of a plane never to be seen again.

"Oh now I get it"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 AM) : 

She has a grey sweatshirt folded over one shoulder if that's what you mean by elegantly draped.

 

Blogger WorldCitizen said ... (10:01 AM) : 

- the cossack inspired proportion of the tucked trouser/boot provides a perfect foundation - anything less wouldn't anchor the flow above, and anything heavier would distract from the airy layers
- the bag is stunning - looks like the softest leather ever tanned (i would have said lambskin; sadly I googled for accuracy: the VVF states 'softest leather of all comes from unborn calves whose mothers have been slaughtered') Once I stopped weeping, I convinced myself it's constructed from organic bamboo fabric whose fibers soften with each washing and is used to rid the planet of plastic bags.
- my eye naturally was drawn to the robin's egg/slate blue wrap, artfully yet casually thrown over her shoulder - perhaps a repurposed pashmina with fringe removed, downsized and artfully adorned with single pintucks, then I saw the knit cuff at its lower edge, maybe the layer she'll slip into before her morning bikram yoga class she's heading to - or the repurposed artful resized pashmina with the brilliant addition of cuffs to extend its versatility.
- i'm confounded by her jacket's magic sleeves that retain their position without a single cuff or fold - I think they're levitating due to dedication to her bikram practce. A drawstring or ties hidden in the inner sleeve seam made from the discarded fringe from the old pashmina is a great way to to achieve the look. Then she could could remove her elbows from her external oblique muscles.

The drape of her tunic is flawless and the overall look is organically effortlessly chic and suits her natural beauty.

Please tell me she was staged for the shot.

I fear that by the time she reached the corner, the biomechanics of human movement would cause the cossack symmetry to twist and sag, her sleeves would drop beyond her fingertips, and her wrap would slide off the waterproofed coating of her jacket and require adjusting and just as she reached up to correct it with her left hand, her tunic would loosen, drop, and the drape would disappear.
Worst case scenario, she'd still look beautiful. She glows and would continue to wearing overalls and an oversized 'I'm with stoopid" sweatshirt.
Your talent captures much more than fashion. Thanks for the inspiration.
Rhodie

 

Blogger tamlee said ... (1:21 PM) : 

i love how spring it looks. i would like to braid my hair to one side and wear my anorak more because of this one photograph.

 

Blogger junglesiren said ... (10:48 PM) : 

Really, she's cute and that's what's attractive. The clothes certainly aren't. They're drab and "comfortable" but I don't see that as "style". A less attractive woman wouldn't be looked at twice in this potato sack.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 AM) : 

Someone please tell this woman that I'd like to marry her.

 

Blogger tee said ... (12:50 AM) : 

I LOVE this. To the dissenters: Why does fashion always have to be about showing off your shape? This woman is art. AND she looks beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:51 AM) : 

She looks a bit like Minnie Driver, doesn't she?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 PM) : 

Hey, that's my mom.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 AM) : 

It's a very interesting look, though I wouldn't aspire to dress like her. Beautiful woman, love the coat, intrigue by the bag but I don't know about all the layerings.

 

Blogger Pleasant Village Community Garden said ... (9:05 AM) : 

Well done (or undone). Chic without looking like she took hours to get ready, a rare thing in NYC. And refreshingly free of silly designer-y stuff.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

She has lost her female shape. She's lost into miles of fabric. Imagine if this girl wasn't pretty? It would be a huge mistake.

 

Blogger Agyesh said ... (2:55 PM) : 

I gotta be frank here.. I love the colours... The combination works like heaven with her skin and hair... But I strongly feel that this outfit is extremely forced.... I mean the uber oversized tops the oversized bottoms tucked into boots.. just too much for me... but thats me then..

 

Blogger Lady Apple said ... (4:35 PM) : 

she is BEAUTIFUL...BUT i really don't care for her outfit at all.

 

Blogger del Carmen said ... (11:55 PM) : 

Cozy yet chic - what a great outfit for a gloomy day. I absolutely agree, "genius."

Her smile/face is the sunshine. She is stunning!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 AM) : 

Hot woman but that parachute suit does not do her figure justice. Sorry, but too avant-garde for my taste.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:59 PM) : 

This is wonderful on her. I think the boots add the touch that pulls it together for me, as well as her friendly confident look. I love the soft color.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 PM) : 

Such a lovely, amiable face. I think this is an ideal example of "the woman wearing the clothes", and not the other way around.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:58 AM) : 

...and trapped by Sartorialist's eye. Of course. Looks so fluid (body posture, colours melting down, wet glint on the coat, reflecting that of the concrete). A tree at the riverside, a woman on the street. Boots as dark roots on the ground, dark hair as branches in the air. Nice rainy day in NYC! Your shots make feel like contemplating and writing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:41 PM) : 

I think this woman is absolutely stunning. Not only are her clothes beautifully draped and the colors are subtly complementing each other, but she has an incredibly elegant face with striking bone structure. Bravo, Scott!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting