This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Soho, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, April 07, 2008

On the Street.....Soho, NYC

Comments on "On the Street.....Soho, NYC"

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (8:37 AM) : 

I like her coat very much...and the heart in her hair : )

 

Blogger maggieescargot said ... (8:46 AM) : 

even on wet days (where maggie is most unhappy), this outfit screams happy.
:D

thanks.
you've made my day

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:00 AM) : 

I like the plaid shirt with the bias-cut placket over the lacy slip. Did she color the sneaks herself?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:11 AM) : 

more info about the shoes??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:43 AM) : 

Wow. She has done a great job with color and mixing different patterns. I love how the purple works with the blah-colored jacket. Looks like she picked everything up at a second-hand shop. Very creative! Love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:02 AM) : 

Ooh, she looks comfy and pretty. Attractive without being overtly sexy. Just my kinda style. The black and white stripes on the bag add graphic appeal. I wonder if I'd like this outfit & photo as much without it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 AM) : 

You've got to be kidding me -- personal style, okay yeah, I see that . . . but does this belong on a blog titled "the Sartorialist" - I don't think so. BTW to Laura at 10:02, the black and white stripes on the bag are from a Sephora shopping bag. So, she shops at not-so-cheap places. So, to Amy at 9:43 - she might mix shopping at Sephora with shoping at thrift stores? Anyways, I don't care for this look, it's juvenile and boring.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:54 AM) : 

The Sartorialist at his best: capturing normal people with an eye for details that inspire the rest of us to sprinkle our own outfits with a little bit of innovation

I feel like the blog has been steering away from this for awhile now, but seeing a shot like this makes me very happy.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (10:58 AM) : 

I like that!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 AM) : 

Her sneakers are a work of art! The different coloured laces on either side, wild play on colours and put together with purple stockings really make her stand out in a crowd of boring loafers and court shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 AM) : 

i have a hard time feeling comfortable in hightop sneakers...that essential tapered line that goes down the leg gets broken and i feel like i look like a clown, so i never wear them.

this outfit is therapeutic - i think i might venture into hightop territory this pring.

 

Blogger ediot said ... (11:24 AM) : 

that's one cool girl!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:35 AM) : 

for Delilah

I have not purposely steered away from this but it has just been how the year started with mens and women's collection back-to-back.

I really enjoyed just walking around quietly yesterday shooting and I will have pretty much all this week to do more of the same

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:41 AM) : 

for anon 10:32

I think you are being a little too literal

if you don't understand why she is on a blog called The Sartorialist, then you really dont understand what this blog is all about

You do understand though that the supermarket Piggly Wiggly doesn't actually sell wiggly pigglies, right?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 AM) : 

i like her cute heart hair accessory. very Kawaii.

 

Blogger Jerome O'Brien said ... (11:49 AM) : 

Love this shot. Her heart on her head is excellent. Even though I hate these shoes, I'm SO behind everything about her.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (11:56 AM) : 

Hahahahahaha...Love your response to anon 10:32!

 

Blogger mette said ... (11:59 AM) : 

The thing that´s on top of her head fits with her sneakers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

mmm like it. like it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:04 PM) : 

I think the bag, [apparently Sephora, wink] is the most interesting thing about the outfit. I wish it were for real.

Boy I cringe when the Sart chastises people.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:11 PM) : 

My sister does the same thing to plain sneakers with markers!

And way to go on the wiggly pigglies Sart! Bravo.

 

Blogger mette said ... (1:44 PM) : 

Whatever she is wearing on top of her head matches with her shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 PM) : 

to anon. at 9:11: The hi-tops are Luella Bartley for Vans. I think they came out a year or two ago (in Amsterdam, that is, i wouldn't know about US...)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:16 PM) : 

so cute=)

love it!

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (2:34 PM) : 

the tights are my favorite. they're subtle, but when you notice them you just have to smile:]

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:45 PM) : 

I love this! It's like she stepped in a puddle of rainbow and it is slowly changing her long cold winter into a bright and promising spring! I love a story in an outfit otherwise what is the point?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 PM) : 

I have a shirt dress that is a little shorter than I would like... I hadn't considered layering a skirt underneath it, but I like this. And I'm not sure I'd brave the sneakers, but I do like the veering away from black tights... thanks for the inspiration!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:20 PM) : 

My favorite comments are the ones that Sart makes in response to those close-minded individuals! I always take a preliminary peak through the comments to see if Sart wrote something then I take a closer look.

 

Blogger bomb.ass.ting said ... (3:45 PM) : 

This is how most young girls in every major East Asian diaspora dress like. It's frumpy and stupid. Not cute at all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:47 PM) : 

Right, this is what I like about the Sartorialist. Normal people and everyday fashion. Fashion can be all sorts of things and isn't just about models and boring suits. That sort of fashion has it's place, obviously, but it gets enough exposure already. Get down on the streets! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:39 PM) : 

love the menswear plaid with the lace. this is why i am on this blog every day - to get new ideas that i can try with my clothes. AND i've been getting compliments lately about how i put things together, so THANKS to the Sartorialist!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:30 PM) : 

I do not like the proportion of this outfit. That shirt is too long. If you are going to wear something that long, maybe go tiny bit longer and do not wear a skirt underneath. Because there is only tiny bit of skirt showing, she looks like she's got short legs.
Also the heart- not radical enough. I wish she'd gone all the way like she had with her wonderful shoes.
By the way, does anyone know who made those sneakers?

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (8:13 PM) : 

for My 2 cents

I cringe when I see a someone (always anon, right) leave a comment attacking other readers and attacking subjects of the photos.

does anyone on this blog really need to be publicly called "juvenile and boring." I don't think so

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 PM) : 

Perfect rainy day wear! I'm not sure about the proportions, though. Although I would never ever dress like this--just not my thing--I like the type of picture you've chosen to include.

It seems a lot more accessible.

Please change up the hair, though!

 

Blogger tingting said ... (8:34 PM) : 

Hmm....too much Wanchai, Hong Kong meets Shibuya "hello Kitty" fan. If you live in any major Asian metropolis, this look is a dime a dozen.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:44 PM) : 

Asian girls e.g. in Korea and Japan have their own style of mixing their love for colours and texture with western fashion. They are not the Prada high fashion minimalistic look but it reflects their evolution and history of fashion. I am so glad that in this blog it is celebrated. Thank you.

 

Blogger Eleanor said ... (8:54 PM) : 

The topic of blog-comment etiquette truly is fascinating. I wish there was a book about it.

I am relatively new to reading blogs and making comments, and I am constantly pondering the ethics.

This is the first time I have come across a blogger who uses the comment box to defend his readers and subjects. Inspiring. Many thanks.

 

Blogger secondvurss said ... (10:02 PM) : 

i like the stockings and the shoes esp.- do you think we could get a closeup of the shoes? i hope that isn't asking too much...i love the overall look but im also into the finer details. you can't see the detail of the shoes in this picture...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:24 PM) : 

Grape leggings and a putty coat. Works for me.

I have the urge to buy her a milkshake.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 PM) : 

i loooove her shoes and the expression on her face. but the heart doesn't work for me. maybe if she had teased her hair up a bit?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:02 AM) : 

it looks a little harajuku-esque--just muted down--especially with those bright shoes and kiddish heart accessory. She could have worn the hair tie differently. I love how the sephora bag stripes add to her funky look.

 

Blogger Char said ... (2:17 AM) : 

"bomb.ass.ting said...
This is how most young girls in every major East Asian diaspora dress like. It's frumpy and stupid. Not cute at all."

Totally ignorant and chauvinist.

The stockings and shoes pop!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 AM) : 

I think this outfit works so well because all the subdued colours of the major pieces that act as a textured background for the splash of colour in her shoes, hair clip and tights. I like the different textures she has going on with the plaid and the lace trim on the skirt.

 

Blogger cat minoki said ... (4:00 AM) : 

I really like her independent look!
The dress/shirt remind me of "the waltons", the tights and shoes go manga. but she puts it togehter in a very smart way. as I am still new here, I find that every person shown here has a secret which makes it appear beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:42 AM) : 

this is a very Gwen Stefani /L.A.M.B inspired look..... down to the shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 AM) : 

what I admire about this blog is its very openness to various statmements of fashion, what I don't like about this blog is the compulsion everyone feels to be complimentary and simply agree with Sart

 

Blogger Angela R Miller said ... (1:47 PM) : 

I so enjoy how a person's clothing ensemble can bring out such passionate comments! The divergent reviews are quite appropriate given the subject's selection of styles, patterns, colors and fabrics. What fun!

 

Blogger Sharona said ... (5:09 PM) : 

The outfit makes me wonder about her context. Is she shopping in that? Going to school? Running errands? Off to a lunch with friends? It has a great spirit of fun about it. And, in my opinion, quite a bit of silliness. But it's well composed, flattering, and I like silliness on occasion. Very creative, indeed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:49 PM) : 

I love everything about this. All these unexpected pieces mixed together! You would've expected to see black or brown pumps with the coat and the dress, but with the colourful sneakers-whoa. The cute heart is the cherry on the top.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:43 PM) : 

I love that she has brought a little bit of Japan to New York City. She seems to have learned to mesh both styles together very well.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:07 PM) : 

I agree with tingting ;)
Being from Hong Kong and unable to appreciate the local fashion there, I can't say I'm a fan of this look at all. But more power to you those able to!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 AM) : 

I am so glad I found this blog. It is fun to see what people wear even if it does not fit in with my "style"

My niece is seven, and already into clothes and expressing herself through them. She has a great eye, and is very open. One day she put a funny creation together and her mom (my sister) was not going to let her wear it at first, but Jessica said "Mom, it is not always about matching!"

Any way we choose to express ourselves is fine. Clothes speak loudly, and I would rather look interesting, unique, and perhaps a little off, rather than looking like everyone else.

Lets have some fun here. ;)

 

Blogger Michelle said ... (12:54 AM) : 

Someone said this look was boring and juvenile...
hmmm - it looks young I will give you that, but then again I could see my friend's funky granny wearing something very similar -so I have to disagree on both counts...
This is not a style I would wear, but I can't help feeling happy inside over this picture. The technicolor sneakers and tights make me smile, and for whatever reason the Sephora bag makes me feel like I can relate to her. Silly, I know but oh so true.
From this picture I would take the attitude, the layering, and the functionality.

 

Blogger Cerisa said ... (6:48 AM) : 

Love her boots

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 PM) : 

The Sephora bag totally ruins the picture. The whole outfit is original, individual, and cool until you see the black and white stripes on the bag; Sephora's awesome, but the mainstream cosmetics chain in the photo seems like a huge blemish to me. The actual outfit seems ingenius to me other than that.

 

Blogger discotheque confusion said ... (9:33 PM) : 

particularly enjoying your blog at the moment, because i'm staying in NYC.

i was strolling through soho earlier and love the fact that everyone is scurrying about, doing their own thing and stop for a moment for you to capture them, and then continue on.

theres something very exciting knowing that you're somewhere within the city capturing some of the great looks that the rest of us might have otherwise missed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

i am compelled to hear my own voice!

i LOVE LOVE LOVE this outfit. i would wear something like this, indeed have worn something like this, though i often feel like i should exercise restraint, being 31 years old and all, especially when strolling around soho where everyone always looks so groomed and expensive.

but i just can't help myself! she looks like she bought this outfit it a children's store, and i love that-- kids are allowed to look colorful, kooky, playful, whereas adults are more or less expected to look insipid and serious.

the beautiful tone of her trench coat (which has lovely girly detailing which prevents it from looking like a that boring generic banana republic look) that matches the colors in her plaid shirt...oh man, i just could go on and on about this.

can't go on! must go on!

she is cute as a button and she clearly does not seek permission from fashion magazines and gossip rags to wear whatever the hell she wants.

 

Blogger Lucky said ... (5:46 PM) : 

The ponytail is especially cute :)

 

Blogger la femme said ... (9:35 PM) : 

fantastic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:57 PM) : 

She's so cute !

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting