This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Midtown, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, April 03, 2008

On the Street.....Midtown, NYC

Comments on "On the Street.....Midtown, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:16 AM) : 

oh i love these h&m leggings
i wanted lynn to buy them but unfortunately they just ahd big sizes left...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:20 AM) : 

Kind of cute in an 80's way, but I think flats would have worked better.

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (8:33 AM) : 

This girl is so pretty... What an amazing blond hair! She doesn't really need to dress well to look great, but anyways I think she could do better... Everything is OK, the cardigan, the shoes, even the bag, but those leggings... IMHO, they're just ugly...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 AM) : 

I like her shoes but I am just not feeling those tights.

 

Blogger Robi said ... (9:08 AM) : 

yuck and sloppy. There is nothing attractive about this. There is a difference in the current leggings look of layers and soft fabrics and this horrid, thrown together example. I wonder if she thought the shoes justified her leaving her home looking like this.

 

Blogger marchingbandemporium said ... (9:24 AM) : 

Very funky leggings! Love the combination with the cardigan. Gives them both a different dimension.

Looking at her face and hair, you wouldn't necessarily expect her to wear those clothes, which adds to the effect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 AM) : 

Dear Sart.

Please, no trendy hipsters.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 AM) : 

she looks really relaxed and comfortable, i like that.
those leggings are so fun i think i need them! does anybody know whether they are vintage one offs or if i could buy them online somewhere? (i'm from australia)

- sarah

 

Blogger InStudio Blog said ... (9:37 AM) : 

Pretty girl, but . . . it looks like she just rolled out of bed hence the PJ-looking leggings, men's/boyfriend's sweater and the too-long hair. I can't see a personal style or any effort.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 AM) : 

Welcome to the 80s.

Wow, if you thought the leggings looked bad on the girl from Yale. These are terrible.

She's young enough to know better.

 

Blogger laia. said ... (10:05 AM) : 

I hate leggings as pants, but I'm totally digging her look. Maybe it's because the leggings are a little loose? The cardigan seems like a really really nice fabric so maybe that's also why I like it. This is confusing me.
She looks great.

 

Blogger Sofi said ... (10:25 AM) : 

I like it, but I don't love it. It'd okay but kind of the way everyone looks @ the moment. But anyway, you've got a breahttaking beauty captured in this photo;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 AM) : 

I have no problem with the legggings, hair or shoes, but I'd prefer the cardigan picking up a colour for the leggings.

 

Blogger Jerome O'Brien said ... (10:43 AM) : 

Ok, Seriously? Who could actually like those leggings except for maybe a 67 year old teacher from Iowa? They're a throw back in a BAD, BAD way. I think this girl is LOVELY TIMES 10, but nothing about this outfit works for me. The shoes are alright, but the bag and sweater are both just very bland.

 

Blogger Miss Cavendish said ... (10:52 AM) : 

This lovely young woman has oodles of potential, but the primary-color patterned leggings don't work. Plain and simple.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (10:53 AM) : 

what a pretty, pretty girl!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 AM) : 

Let's see how many commenters can come up with something nice to say about this!

 

Blogger Miriam said ... (10:57 AM) : 

I think the sweater works because it matches to well with the heels. Those leggings are a bit too much for me, but if I were as gorgeous as her I would probably try something that wacky every now and then. Fashion shouldn't be safe.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

Love it, man. I thought only Dutch people dressed like that. Whoa!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

I like that she looks causal, yet put together, but I can't get on board with those leggings (or the purse)

 

Blogger Mona said ... (11:13 AM) : 

wow those are some aggressive leggings. i'm not really feeling them...love the bag and the grandpa sweater though? i think my old geometry teacher used to sport one like that every day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 AM) : 

The girl is very pretty and has a mode figure but... where is the sartorial brilliance in this outfit? Looks like she borrowed the cardigan from her dad and the leggings will look good only on a toddler.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 AM) : 

Those tights! They bring to mind Xuly Bet from the early 1990s.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 AM) : 

J'adore. And the bag is the perfect touch. It's a wee bit too hipsterish but the gorgeous hair and the 'sensible' briefcase take it out of the ordinary

 

Blogger cat minoki said ... (11:33 AM) : 

I like the bulged out knees. even if those leggings have a tasteless pattern. beautiful bag. great legs!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

girl got neck!

 

Blogger liz song mandell said ... (11:50 AM) : 

Cute face and bold girl. Mister Rogers meets Pretty in Pink meets NYC biz woman. The outfit's gotta go!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:05 PM) : 

I used to have some awesome colourful leggings from way back. The lycra finally gave up last summer. I'm so sad. I would love to find another pair: something Pucciesque.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

reminds me of the early 90th in Norway :-) funny and refreshing on a beautiful girl who may not take herself to seriously...

 

Blogger Susanna said ... (12:07 PM) : 

I wondered what happened to that sweater I lost at the gym 10 years ago, and now here it is! At the time, I was only a little upset that I lost it, since I figured it was out of style anyway. Who knew it would come back in so soon? I should've checked the lost & found.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 PM) : 

I feel like only this girl could pull this off. C'mon, she's young and adorable! Groovy leggings, groovy hair, groovy bag.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 PM) : 

This shouldn't work, but somehow it does!
However, i'm not so sure this would work as well if she weren't so pretty anyway.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 PM) : 

This is freakin awesome! LOVE IT.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:42 PM) : 

Beautiful girl, really ugly leggings.

 

Blogger a reference said ... (12:46 PM) : 

What's wrong with you people. The leggings are fantastic. Black leggings are passe for sures, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing more fantastic leggings out and about. They are just toooo comfy to give up. Leggings are the new jeans. Jeans are dead!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

So Vanessa Huxtable

 

Blogger partyended said ... (1:13 PM) : 

I like it, but I also think it would've probably looked better with flats.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM) : 

ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

Oh I love that bag and those tights, they are from H&M right?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

She's an intern for TEEN VOGUE!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:34 PM) : 

Ah, the perogative of youth and long legs to wear horizontal bands across the widest part of the thigh!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:42 PM) : 

marni

 

Blogger Jacq said ... (1:55 PM) : 

Those leggings are absolutely hideous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

Sart why did you gravitate towards her instead of running full-speed the other way?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:05 PM) : 

She's a beautiful girl, but I just can't wrap my mind around those leggings. Regardless, I admire her verve.

 

Blogger mette said ... (3:32 PM) : 

I´m a bit surprised that there are so many negative comments posted,cause this time I decided to be real open minded and in my opinion since the girl is so pretty and the leggings fit nicely with the background -so why not!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:41 PM) : 

i have been drooling over those henrik visbikov leggings for weeks. she looks great, but i feel like the oversized cardigan + leggings look is a little overplayed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Have to agree with those not liking the leggings - if something like those ever made its' way into my place, it would end up in the Goodwill bin for sure.

But even the ugly leggings do not detrack from this girl's prettiness...

~ Miss Mary

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 PM) : 

She looks like one of those paper toys where you can mix and match the head, torso, legs, and feet of various characters and she's been all mixed up, the princess head, the grandpa torso, the clown legs, and the diva feet. In that way this outfit interesting since it is playing with expectations.

 

Blogger komankova said ... (3:56 PM) : 

effortles, funny, comfy!

 

Blogger Playing Fashion said ... (3:57 PM) : 

wow.<3

 

Blogger Erin said ... (3:58 PM) : 

What a beautiful girl who has enough confidence to have a LOT of fun with dressing herself. This looks like an ironic take on the often bland layers of the uniform leggings + sweater. Good eye, Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:03 PM) : 

LOVE*

 

Blogger Ling said ... (4:04 PM) : 

It takes guts to pull this off! The mishmash is provocative, and she looks gorg. It's right in my book.

 

Blogger Vintage and Stardust said ... (4:06 PM) : 

I love love love this girl and most of all I love her hair:)

 

Blogger k said ... (4:08 PM) : 

Those leggings make my soul cry. Blah.

 

Blogger nicole said ... (4:39 PM) : 

The hair, the cardi, the bag, the shoes=yummy

The crazy 80's crayola leggings=nooooooooooooo

(I guess it's just painful when you have to live through these things twice)

 

Blogger Danielle D'Angelo said ... (4:51 PM) : 

Someone took the opening credits from Saved by the Bell and translated it into leggings! Love it!

 

Blogger Ida Floreak said ... (5:06 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Ashley said ... (6:11 PM) : 

I love this girl I can't believe people are hating on her outfit and like he cheesy Yale girl. Her look is way more interesting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:24 PM) : 

I think she exudes a kind of eccentric sophistication. Anyone could throw together a cardigan over regular leggings but she took this look to a whole new level.

The sweater and shoes were made to match, the bag isn't overtly trendy, and the loose fitting leggings give it some funk. The fact that everything is neutral and BAM! there's your color is pretty sick, and her hair looks so relaxing.

-AM

 

Blogger Jael Paris said ... (6:40 PM) : 

I remember a boy in my fifth grade class with Hammer pants in that pattern. Maybe she's younger than me, but I'm not into wearing the same things I wore in grade school.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:24 PM) : 

style isn't about how young, old, or pretty someone is. i think it's more about knowing what looks good on you. this girl knows what looks good on her. very cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:20 PM) : 

I like that she's brave, but I'll have to agree with the previous posts about about the 80s leggings. I like how she tames her outfit with the grey and white combo on the top though. And props for a great sense of proportion!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 PM) : 

Umm.. a little crazy for my taste, but why is she standing so awkwardly?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 PM) : 

Not feeling this. I prefer to see outfits that are chic enough to look good on anyone who wears them, not silly trends that only look good on the young, thin and beautiful. I expect this from the plethora of hipster street style sites out there, but not you, Sart.

 

Blogger cbkphotos said ... (10:47 PM) : 

those tights are soo early 90's and so M.I.A!
lol
its cute!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 PM) : 

i definitely had those same leggings when i was 7.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 PM) : 

i agree with the people who like her outfit. does anyone know who makes her bag? is it a miu miu?

 

Blogger Jini said ... (1:17 AM) : 

Normally I wouldn't be a fan but I am! Her neutral-colored, tame top provides good balance for those wild leggings...though the shoes are a bit too matchy-matchy with the sweater for me and I would prefer a ponytail. Disparaging comments towards her leggings are expected but kudos to her for being bold.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:16 AM) : 

sam looks cute.
her bag looks great her shoes look great the tights look great, even if they are an h&m knock off of a henrik vibskov print.
everyone who doesn't like them probably had fat thighs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:53 AM) : 

come on people be a little adventurous! this girl would make me smile if i saw her on the street on a rainy day, and even that is reason enough to justify those leggings!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:33 AM) : 

i personally do not like leggings at all. i guess some people can really carry off the look. this girl can certainly wear leggings, but the prints are really quite frightening. Love her bag & wedges though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 AM) : 

The idea of leggings? Fine. These particular leggings? Nightmarishly ugly. The other images here that I haven't liked have at least embodied a particular train of thought or a different style about them. That stimulation is part of the great pleasure of reading these pages.
However this is simply the ugliest outfit I've ever seen here. I'm quite horrified by the though that we might see this very, very unattractive look again - it was bad enough first time round when this pretty young girl was not even a twinkle in someone's eye. Please, somebody, save her!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

Woho, the tights from HM. My country ;)
They look really good in this picture!

 

Blogger Sharona said ... (11:46 AM) : 

I think a lot of what makes fashion such an art is knowing what you can and can't wear, even if it looks fabulous or terrible on someone else. With legs like those, I imagine this girl knows she's got options! Like many other commenters, I don't love the pattern on the leggings, but do love the idea and the nerve behind it, willing to express it. She looks beautiful. I think the greatest elements in this outfit is that sweater, that bag, those legs(did she get those at H&M too? I'd like a pair) and her fabulous hair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

i have that bag! i never think to wear it with the longer strap, though! ah, new inspiration! thanks, sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:46 PM) : 

Those leggings are Henrik Vibskov, aren't they? I think she's tall enough to pull it off. I'm surprised so many people who commented thought those leggings were ugly. I think they're fun, though she could've gone all the way Vibskov replaced the upper part with more colors/patterns. Anyhow she's very pretty and looks very good as she is in the picture.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:33 PM) : 

leggings are not pants (in most cases!) i think this could have been amazing...just not now.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:19 PM) : 

i like the baggy look of the leggings...

but no one has mentionned that they do not go with the shoes at all. this outfit would look much better with flat brogues a la agnyness deyn.

this look jarrs because the rest of the outfit is too plain. is this really her own style?

 

Blogger allie wu lin said ... (1:41 AM) : 

I LOVE THESE PANTS! she is definitely rockin them, and Most couldn't.

 

Blogger Kara said ... (9:07 AM) : 

I like that I can look at the photo and know it's all intentional. She wasn't duped into these leggings, she meant to wear them.

Still, there's something about fashion I'm trying to come to terms with. These leggings are straight up 1988, in my view. (Then again, I was a 3rd grader in a small, midwestern town in 1988, so I could be off by a few years!) I understand how looks can be INSPIRED by previous decades and movements: I love it when disco, Elizabethan, bohemian styles ripple through a designer's line, or even pop fashion. But when there's a simple replication of a very dated style it seems far less like fashion innovation and a lot more like copying or just kind of a joke. Is it just that the 80s are too close to home for me? Or is this a fair critique.

Whether or not I like the leggings, she is a beautiful girl and can, thus, wear whatever she pleases!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:08 AM) : 

are we in a time leap? this is exactly what I wore in the early 80ies, apart from the fact that my hair is dark. I loved it then, not sure what to make of it now...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:49 AM) : 

I saw Kate Moss last week in Malibu at 7:00am wearing the same ensemble; cardigan & leggings (hers were bright flowers on black) tucked into tall black leather boots. I didn't like hers either.

 

Blogger DPD said ... (12:19 PM) : 

What a lissome young beauty!

 

Blogger zoe said ... (11:11 PM) : 

She has guts, beautiful hair and such an ease to not match.
I love it because I can't get my head around it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 AM) : 

this is almost the same outfit that i wore today, even down to the long stringy hair! faux denim leggings from american apparel + dad's dior sweater + plain tee + grandma's old purse + a pair of oxford heels from forever21. that's my reciepe for a lazy day outfit.

people need to chill out on the whole leggings as pants thing. its comfortable and easy. just make sure that the bum is covered, or else it is just tacky in my opinion.

i rather go out like that than wear juicy couture sweats or my pj pants like many girls at my school opt to do.

 

Blogger Kristina said ... (11:05 AM) : 

Oooh, I used to dress exactly like this when I was in art school in the late 1980s, and I'm still embarrassed about it.

Since she seems to be about 6" tall and has long blonde hair, though, I guess it looks OK.

 

Blogger DBCoopernicus said ... (8:52 PM) : 

Totally hot outfit! Love the tights with the heels!

 

Blogger Fred said ... (2:22 AM) : 

Pretty girl

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:20 PM) : 

shes a former teen vogue intern, she looks great, totally played down the leggings with the cardigan,
haters be damned

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:36 AM) : 

STEED LORD LEGGINGS <3333

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:23 AM) : 

this lacks any source of creativity, and is quite a boring look.

pretty girl, icky outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:43 AM) : 

i remember she went to high school with me in long beach, california. i admired her style. she graduated from high school with a 4.0 GPA last i heard she is at columbia

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting