This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street..... Pleats Please, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

On the Street..... Pleats Please, Paris

Comments on "On the Street..... Pleats Please, Paris"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:48 AM) : 

Don't try this at home!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:25 AM) : 

nice colors, but I didn't even care for that silhouette the first time around...

 

Blogger Karyn said ... (8:43 AM) : 

LOVE this.

 

Blogger Diana said ... (9:19 AM) : 

reminds me of Lisa Plenske in the german version of Ugly Betty (Verliebt in Berlin).

 

Blogger simonweston said ... (10:03 AM) : 

Or, "How To Take A Page From The Diane Keaton Book of Style."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 AM) : 

I agree. Don't try this at home! Jacket is great. The pleated pants are not easy to pull off! I could never wear them. Wish we could see her shoes. And what type of bag has she got. I find that the "nerd" glasses are getting old quick. I'm already sick to death of them.

 

Blogger Karmander said ... (10:45 AM) : 

ah, darling. One of my favorites.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 AM) : 

Really? My mother wore this is 1985. It wasn't a good look then or now! I admire fashion forward thinking, but this is fashion in reverse in the worst way.

 

Blogger Kelly said ... (10:59 AM) : 

I like geek-chic in single doses. EITHER the glasses OR the pleated "mom" pants OR the plaid jacket. But not all three at the same time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 AM) : 

Pleated pants rarely look good on anyone. Cute jacket though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 AM) : 

Cute! Love the jacket - fabric looks fabulous - with the striped shirt. What I can see of the bag I really like, too. The belt and glasses give the whole look fun and freshness. I am not a big fan of so many pleats, but the girl is adorable and carries this off well.

~ Miss Mary

 

Blogger cigarette butt said ... (11:15 AM) : 

Love her jacket and pants, and the little detail on the belt. Love the whole outfit!

 

Blogger cigarette butt said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Love her jacket and pants, and the little detail on the belt. Love the whole outfit!

 

Blogger beths said ... (11:19 AM) : 

cute girl, hideous pants--somehow the retro-trendy glasses play off the pants to make them look worse

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 AM) : 

Love this look, the jacket really keeps it feminine

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 AM) : 

It's all about the red pants on the monk to the right.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

Reminds me of how horrible front pleats can be on trousers...very unflattering!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:27 PM) : 

Please tell me why you would add to a tummy bulge with pleats and then showcase it with gold chains? I don't think this is stylish at all, at least not in a good way.

 

Blogger tanya said ... (12:39 PM) : 

hello annie hall!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (12:59 PM) : 

Very nice jacket!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:02 PM) : 

I love the jacket, but these pants and chain/belt are awful

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

I love this too! It's so unusual, yet also strikes Diane Keaton and equestrian chords. Look at that belt! So well done! Love the glasses too and the natural face. Feminine makeup would have ruined it, no? The way her jacket and pants work together is genius! It's preppy/academic elegance with a wink. Killer!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 PM) : 

Don'tknow about this one. She looks very frumpy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:40 PM) : 

A 21st century Annie Hall! I like the look on her. Do you have a full length shot? I'd love to see the rest of the bag, pant length and shoes.

 

Blogger re:definition said ... (2:56 PM) : 

is it wrong that i want to marry this woman?

 

Blogger Gina Marie said ... (3:10 PM) : 

I have to say, for me, the haircut and glasses in combination with everything else just makes it look like the 1980s. I mean, I think somewhere there's a picture of my mother in almost this exact outfit (sans chain belt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 PM) : 

oh no!! i think its' too literal, too annie hall...
too much glasses! too much belt! too much volume. i want the jacket to be more fitted, at least...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:23 PM) : 

Not only did I not look good in those pants in the 80s, I didn't look good in those glasses, either.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Hope the chain holds her pants up.

 

Blogger Jerome O'Brien said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Um, honey....NO!!!! Imagine everything being the same (love the big glasses!), but with some tight dark jeans....A ZILLION TIME BETTER. This is actually upsetting to look at.

 

Blogger amyw said ... (3:56 PM) : 

EXACTLY like Annie Hall. I'd love to be one of those people who can pull off this type of look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:58 PM) : 

again another annie hall look, very similar to the irina post.

do you see this as a trend?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 PM) : 

Nice colour palette. And pleats? Yes, as for me - I've always liked them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:10 PM) : 

Like the man tailoring, and the jacket, but I'll never ever do baggy pants again, and this shows why very well. No one can look good in them.

 

Blogger Charlotte said ... (4:29 PM) : 

please please, don't facilitate the return of pleats.

lovely pattern on the jacket though.

 

Blogger La Terpette said ... (4:29 PM) : 

saw this in une fille comme moi, love the belt!

 

Blogger sarah said ... (4:40 PM) : 

She seems one yellow coat-of-arms patch away from 1983... The glasses, pleating, gold chain and cropped silhouette feel like a costume, not an inventive re-adaptation of 20 years ago. I can't help but wonder why you chose to highlight her... did she have something that just didn't translate in the still picture?

 

Blogger Mare said ... (4:50 PM) : 

this is hideous.
i hate pleats.
her glasses are square (and not in a good way), though they seem to be in style in paris at the moment.
she needs a new "do".
the bag does not go w. the outfit.
belt doesn't make sense.
it does look like she tried, though, so give her A for effort.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:19 PM) : 

i love her spectacles.

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (5:45 PM) : 

She's a little Diane Keaton in that it seems all so wrong...but I like deliberate and this is deliberate. Tremendous confidence is needed here to pull this off and she does!...I'm guessing, of course, but I bet she's fascinating to know.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:53 PM) : 

pleats, always wrong. excellent example of why.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:15 PM) : 

I think I saw this photo on style.com? The cropped jacket makes it work. Like that belt!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:19 PM) : 

The line between love & hate is...

I just can't wear something my grade 6 teacher wore. I just can't. It's too soon!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:52 PM) : 

Yes, yes! this is fantastic! I love the glasses, the blazer, trousers and belt. She is gorgeous! - i wish i could look that good.

 

Blogger Heather Lou said ... (7:26 PM) : 

I challenge most of us broads to pull this off without looking like we're wearing Mom Khakis.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:26 PM) : 

Can anyone tell me who made her chain belt? I love it.

 

Blogger k said ... (7:35 PM) : 

A little Annie Hall-esque, no? It works for her, but it's not something I really LOVE.
I don't care for those glasses... :/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:16 PM) : 

Very Annie Hall, don't you think?

 

Blogger amy korngiebel said ... (8:33 PM) : 

i'm smitten. very annie hall. love love love.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 PM) : 

Nice....

wiiee
adil sg

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:21 PM) : 

Frumpy! Also the Chanel-style braided-chain belt seems too formal for pleated khakis.

 

Blogger Amelia said ... (10:55 PM) : 

I don't really like the pleated pants, but the coat and glasses are fabulous. The belt is sort of interesting, too. I really like the red pants in the background.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:42 AM) : 

She is working it but generally not a flattering look from the front. It emphasizes pear shape especially if pants are tapered.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:04 AM) : 

a woman after my own heart. love her.

 

Blogger Tina Frey Designs said ... (1:48 AM) : 

Oh please Please PLEASE don't let those awful baggy pleated front pants that taper in the legs from the 80's come back in style again!!! They remind me of MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice.

If the pants have flared legs, then I approve of the look...however, I can't tell that from this picture.

Otherwise, from the waist up, she looks great! I love the jacket!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:51 AM) : 

Loving it. But it is unfair not to be able to see the rest of the outfit. Think it depends greatly on the cut of the pants (which seem baggy) and the shoes she'd be wearing. But it looks good thus far.

Energie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:56 AM) : 

some things are better left in the past where they belong. baggy pleated pants are one of them.

 

Blogger FireBrand said ... (5:22 AM) : 

I'm not sure why, but I love this. Those glasses make it even better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 AM) : 

I'm confused. Is this Paris 2008 or 1988? Is it a movie set? Because whoever did the costuming got it spot on! (Except the phone, I don't think we had such tiny phones in the 80's). ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

It was such a relief to read the comments about this outfit. I was so apprehensive that everyone was going to swoon, as usual, and once again I would be off in the corner by myself shouting "No, you can't be serious!" P.S. I think I had those pants when I was in high school , as well as the striped shirt and the glasses. Probably wore it all with an Etienne Aigner belt.

 

Blogger SAM said ... (11:24 AM) : 

I can almost live with the glasses, but the pants have to go. Nice jacket though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 PM) : 

Nice jacket..but the rest is trying too hard. I find that taking a retro look too literally can become too costume-like

 

Blogger BenzW124 said ... (11:32 PM) : 

This is exactly the silhouette/look that Louis Vuitton just pegged for the Fall 08/09 season...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 AM) : 

Diane Keaton immediately springs to mind when I see this lady. Not sure about the trouser and belt combination but I like the jacket and specs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:20 AM) : 

here you ca see her shoes and bag:

http://www.garancedore.fr/category/streetstyle-photos/page/2/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

She looks exactly Jan smithers. Actress on TeeVee's WKRP in Cincinnati—seriously—google it!

 

Blogger Playing Fashion said ... (4:00 PM) : 

goood. new volume, new trend

 

Blogger komankova said ... (4:34 PM) : 

not that i like the pants but the person seems interesting and funny

 

Blogger Weremonkey said ... (8:00 AM) : 

Looks very 80's to me.

And WOW! That looks like me in the photo - but it's not me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

As a fellow glasses wearer and due to the fact that she is at some fashion event - she could benefit from more makeup.

Also she needs to perk up her hair colour a bit.

The bag reminds me of the tennis bag Annie Hall used in the movie.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 PM) : 

mmmm at least she doesnt look like everyone else and tries to imitate what she sees on other people. fashion does and don'ts next year pleats will be in and the next they wont so how bout stop criticizing someone for being and dressing how they want

 

Blogger Pleasant Village Community Garden said ... (8:53 AM) : 

Ugh. It didn't look good in 1985 either.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

Love it. This girls style has personality and imagination and it looks like she is doing it for herself. All the people hating on this are no doubt your usual overly preened fashion sheep. Shes got it. You haven't...ha!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

she looks like a girl morrissey.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:11 PM) : 

what an incredible blog you have here. the way you capture not just fashion but the heart, the personality of the person...it's incredible. i fashion inspiration for decades now!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 PM) : 

I don´t know.... I like it, I don´t like it , I like it again...mmmmmm
:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:03 PM) : 

Bring on the pleats! I love that classical 1940s look. I never completely gave them up. To those who think they're ugly, consider how great Dietrich looked, Katie Hepburn, and Grace Kelly. I am well-proportioned and not a plus size, so I'm going for it. If you refuse, that's your choice. The advantage of these pants are comfort without lycra and the ability to wear any panties you want without VPL! Remember that VPL became an issue again when tight-fitting, flat-front low rise pants came back in style from the 1970s.

 

Blogger pearlaceous said ... (7:55 PM) : 

Love how the belt adds a lot to this outfit..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:56 PM) : 

She seems very refreshing to me - a non-snob.

 

Blogger Madonna said ... (6:52 PM) : 

Annie Hall?

 

Blogger nidyawiguno said ... (5:46 AM) : 

i like her jacket :)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting