This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Shave, New Delhi

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, March 14, 2008

The Shave, New Delhi


Comments on "The Shave, New Delhi"

 

Blogger secondvurss said ... (8:00 PM) : 

that is one sweet 'stash...he also has a very distinguished face. i can see why you took a picture of him. =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:03 PM) : 

Wow!! you are up pretty early...i have been checking the blog frequently today..cant wait to see what you put up..: )

 

Blogger (0v0) said ... (8:04 PM) : 

Oh, must delurk because he is so good. A moustache like this needs no accessories.

He goes from suspicious of an intruder to amused and insightful with just the smallest softening of the brow. He's deflecting in the first shot, looking through you in the second.

 

Blogger Olive Duster said ... (8:17 PM) : 

I have this dream where I'm late for my final exam and when I finally arrive I realize - I'm the only one in the middle of a street shave. What does that mean?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:20 PM) : 

What I love most about the shaver's look is that (for him) it's not about fashion at all- it's just what he wears because perhaps, in New Delhi, that is what's available to him. He's obviously not following trends or trying to create a 'look.' However, his relaxed, unkempt and comfortable ensemble is a combination hipsters and trend setters world wide try to mimick on a daily basis!

 

Blogger OndrejS said ... (8:25 PM) : 

And you didn't want to take touristy pictures... Nothing against it. It is a very well taken picture and also there is an interesting man there. But I think you shouldn't feel manipulated by any comments to put pictures capturing the "essence of India". I come here because I like what you are doing. For the rest, we can just go see National Geographic...

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (9:56 PM) : 

Beautiful picture, Sart. I like this gentleman's moustache and haircut. The strategically-placed blood stains (?!) on the shaving towel are a nice touch.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 PM) : 

Great photo, if a bit touristy "exotic". ;-)

 

Blogger secondvurss said ... (10:08 PM) : 

i don't know how i feel about your comment ondrejs. i don't feel that art should be that focused. if it's clothing that catches your eye, it's clothing at that minute. if its someone's face another minute, then so be it. i feel what you're saying though. this blog is good the way that it is... =) don't change a thing, sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 PM) : 

I love it.

To ondrejs: you seem to be convinced that he's taking "touristy" pictures - and he might well be, but it seems to me that he's doing the same thing over there in New Delhi that he always does anywhere else.

He captures interesting people who seem to exude some kind of sartorial magnificence, whether it be the colour of their scarf, the ease with which they move, or the tiny quirk of an eyebrow. What I love is that he also captures great moments as well as great outfits. Who says that just because he's in India, he can't photograph local people going about their daily lives in the same way that he catches people in Manhattan doing their own thing? I see nothing wrong with that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:14 PM) : 

I am crazy about those black slippers! They are so suave and pointy, and they look so comfortable and well worn.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 PM) : 

Grooming is a very important facet of style, and I think this man has a fantastic mustache.

 

Blogger Jake Troth said ... (11:59 PM) : 

i love how simplistic the man being shaved is, compared to everything surrounding him (the cloth he sits on, the trees and brick behind him). Compositionally it sure is interesting. I'd give anything, well most things, to be able to grow a stache like that!

 

Blogger Blue Floppy Hat said ... (12:37 AM) : 

Class act indeed...but nothing on the moustaches of Rajasthan IMO. And I don't feel like this is a 'touristy' shot at all, Sart- keep doing your thing and never mind the PC bollocks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:23 AM) : 

Note the contrast in the facial expressions of these two men! Bemused and WTF were never closer!

If someone wanted to photograph me at work, I would tease them a bit (gently, I hope!). Then I would ask them to have coffee with me.

 

Blogger bomb.ass.ting said ... (2:11 AM) : 

You have a really great way of getting the moment in pictures. I love it.

 

Blogger Mariposa said ... (2:31 AM) : 

Trendy mustache ^_~
The fashion is beautiful and entertaining...I love this blog

 

Blogger Jessicafied said ... (2:37 AM) : 

Such an amazing photo, makes me wish I was there.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:12 AM) : 

Handsome moustache and haircut. Lovely street. After a lifetime of haircuts indoors often with BGM I'm not particularly fond of, the idea of an outdoor barber is refreshing!

This gents's slipons are brilliant. Cheers for the photo.

T.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 AM) : 

sart!!! i did spot you at the wifw.
love the photo of this most distinquished mustache.

 

Blogger Danika said ... (3:44 AM) : 

Wow, these are beautiful.
And that mustache is incredible.

 

Blogger ChicTooChic said ... (4:28 AM) : 

Congratulations sartorialist, is a new fantastico step in your work. Congratulations!

 

Blogger the storyteller said ... (10:13 AM) : 

i love your work. not only do you have a poignant taste in style and fashion, you have a really good eye for organic photography as well! keep em coming, sart =)

.ps. what camera are you using, if i may ask? thanks!

a big fan,

*j.y

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

Now that is a bad-ass, Daniel Planview, Wyatt Earp-esque moustache. My upper lip quivers with envy ...

 

Blogger Mark T said ... (10:41 AM) : 

Hey, hope you're having a great time over there. I really like the atmosphere of these pictures and as you know I have nothing against your occasional travel journal shots. Far from it. But what I really want to know is: did you get a shave?

 

Blogger OndrejS said ... (10:45 AM) : 

To citizen: You are extending my comment a little too much. My point was actually quite different.

Btw, anyone noticed the thick cloth he is seated on? Would make it into... hmm... awesome low waist ski pants! Would have to get a nice belt with it though. This season I realized how boring ski slopes are! There are like 5 different combinations of clothes altogether. But I am getting a bit carried away here...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

I have traveled to India 40 to 50 times, this is a pretty common, early morning site to see. The way you captured it is brilliant.
My only wish is that I could grow the same mustache!

 

Blogger Nelson vH said ... (10:51 AM) : 

Great shot !
What is an everyday thing to the gentlemen in white could be considered luyury in our worlds...going to have a shave on the corner ;) Not that is to expensive...it´s more the fact that you simply won´t find a barber being able to do the job properly ;)

How dandyesque our lives could be....

Great job Scott! And simply ignore the comments on tourist shots and exotica!

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (11:57 AM) : 

More than about the outfit these gentleman are wearing -which is quite inspirng- I am mostly interested by the scene. Cool shots!

Sart, I feel curious to see what kind of outfits are you weaning in India, are they the same that you use in NY?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

Where else but the Middle East to Asia can you see a man being shaved or having his hair washed on the street. After a trip to China, I discovered this is common place. In America, we hold these traditions to such high standards and must go into an establishment with a grand reputation .

The STYLE here is the appreciation of good grooming in a classic style.

Well done!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 PM) : 

You know what, sart? Since this is YOUR blog then I say to everyone else that they need to remember that it is not THEIR site, you may do as you will, and they need to remember their manners and say 'thank you' for even letting us view and comment on something that is so personal. If they know so much about everything, then they can go start a rival blog. Good luck to them. (sorry I just read the post below, with the stunning woman in black, and was alternately laughing and grimacing in embarrassment. People can be so territorial and rude, especially when it's not even their space!) Thanks for the amazing work, I am excited as hell to see more of India through your eyes!

 

Blogger Nyala said ... (1:02 PM) : 

Wonderful photograph! His moustache reminds of the moustaches in Crete, Greece - sometimes they can be thicker than that!

 

Blogger astublieft said ... (1:20 PM) : 

The color and texture combination of his seat is beautiful and inspiring. Even more so in the dialogue with his white tunic. Somehow the rocks and the blanket blend and become one with his outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:43 PM) : 

Thank you for bringing us along to people and places where we get a more focused and wider view. Love everything, the oxygen, the man-with-the-moustache shoes, the simple, sophisticated life.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:24 PM) : 

This is truly why I love your work. Capturing all of the well-dressed people of this world could easily make someone fall into superficiality and ''light'' work. But you keep taking such breathtaking and surprising pictures that I get amazed almost everytime I come here. Please, keep posting deep pictures such as the one below, and amazing part of everyday's life like this one. Not only are you a very talented photographer, but a very smart and thoughtful one. Thank you for making my whole mind super inspired everytime I visit this blog!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:49 PM) : 

I can only speak from my own point of view: as an North American Indian myself, in this image I see a very distinguished moustache (unrivaled by the trendy Devendra-wannabe Brooklynites who try to sport the same one!!), on man with a face that looks like he earned it. In that perfect daylight, his eyes are piercing and his skin smooth. I love the stained off-white sheet draped over the slumped shoulders of his blue-white kourtha pajama. *THOSE* classic, pointy-toed black slip-ons. It's like an Indian take on Yohji! Love it.

xo-
raji*

 

Blogger Alex said ... (4:51 PM) : 

I dig that 'stache

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:56 PM) : 

stunning images

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:52 AM) : 

they look so wary... I might too, though, if someone came up with a camera during my daily ablutions.

I love this one!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 AM) : 

In india, a large moustache personifies power and authority, their are many sayings that are symbolic of large moustaches being masculine and authoritative.

 

Blogger Topham Beauclerk said ... (12:16 PM) : 

Love the 'stache, love the setting, love the photograph. But if those are blood stains on the towel, I'd be a bit nervous if I were the customer!

 

Blogger Kits said ... (3:41 AM) : 

When I had been visiting in Rajasthan, my camera ached to find someone with tht moustache :)

 

Blogger lauren ashley said ... (12:53 AM) : 

j'adore the GIGANTOR 'stache on the fellow in the bottom-most pic !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 AM) : 

i'm loving the stool lol....
might be a bit uncomfortable after a while though !

 

Blogger Olimpia Liberti said ... (2:00 PM) : 

really really good both photos...
but the portrait of this man... there is something in those eyes... love it!
i wonder with you want to take a portrait of me!! hahahahaa

 

Blogger Logan said ... (7:21 PM) : 

Love it! If you can't grow one here is some ideas on a DIY mustache, for boys and girls!!

http://itsveryhip.blogspot.com/2009/10/diy-mustache.html

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting