This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Wes Anderson, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

On the Street...Wes Anderson, Paris

Comments on "On the Street...Wes Anderson, Paris"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:54 AM) : 

In terms of style, he could never do anything wrong.

 

Blogger Alysa said ... (7:59 AM) : 

It's so nice to wake up to an image like this. His films and this outfit are all about the details. I love how he subverts a potentially serious look with a subtle touch of irony (the pin). Playful, thoughtful and anything but your average hipster.

 

Blogger RubyRai said ... (8:07 AM) : 

This man is my absolute hero; his style is impeccable and his movies are GENIUS. I LOVE YOU WES!

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (8:11 AM) : 

Wes! I’m so happy to see his picture in this blog. He has such a wonderful style! I'd try to dress somehow like him if I were a man. He always looks so smart, even to go shooting, but always adds something personal, unexpected and original. He is like his movies. Great picture Sart!

 

Blogger suzannemarques said ... (8:19 AM) : 

i love wes anderson! i am very excited to see him here too. he is delicious in every way. the style & taste of his films are intoxicating.. and he does the same here with his darling ensemble.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:24 AM) : 

You just ran into him in Paris? That's just not fair!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 AM) : 

My favorite director... looking dashing as always!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (8:43 AM) : 

Love his style!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:00 AM) : 

That grey is hard to pull off, especially for someone as fair as he is, but he does it.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:04 AM) : 

He also carries off a shock of hair very well!

 

Blogger AM said ... (9:05 AM) : 

I love that he dresses like this while filming, too. Comfortable and stylish - my holy grail.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 AM) : 

The colours all work (as they do in the films), but he looks ever so slightly like a pear.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (9:15 AM) : 

Parts are fine (with exception of the overlarge and too stiff collar); but the ovelong swater peeping through the spanning jacket (yes, I know: his hands are behind his back, putting stress on the closure) and the too baggy pants...

 

Blogger olivia said ... (9:33 AM) : 

I LOVE WES! I love his little-star tie, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:47 AM) : 

I adore the little personal touches that make this outfit his. The horse pin, the stars on the tie, adorable. I'm not that big a fan of the oversized jacket with the matching pants of corduroy.

 

Blogger Lizzie Donelan said ... (10:05 AM) : 

oh man. this is thoroughly enjoyable.

 

Blogger pinky said ... (10:27 AM) : 

I love wes!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:45 AM) : 

I am not crazy about this look, and the hair cut is not flattering.

 

Blogger dlittlegarden said ... (11:04 AM) : 

Yeah! I love his little Trojan horse (or whatever) pin.

 

Blogger Jacq said ... (11:04 AM) : 

I agree with Matthew - this jacket (with that button done up) is not flattering, and he does look like a pear! It makes his midriff look wide and his shoulders look narrow. I think shifting the top button down a bit would improve matters.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 AM) : 

Love, love, love, LOVE Mr. Anderson. You can tell a Wes Anderson film from a mile away, all thanks to his signature style and the same can be said for the man himself. He is a unique being, and isn't that what style is all about?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

It's funny how in every picture I've seen of Wes Anderson he's always wearing that suit and a blue shirt. The horse pin is, I should think, from the Stockholm Film Festival where he received the "Visionary filmmaker" award last november. The prize is a large bronze horse just like the pin he's wearing. I should know, I worked at the theater where the prize ceremony was held and took care of his statue for him. And yes, he was wearing that suit and a blue shirt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 AM) : 

He looks nice.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (11:46 AM) : 

It's nice to see Wes rocking it in a corduroy suit. I wonder if he is a clandestine member of the CAC? It would be ideal if the jacket had a 3/2 roll. Awesome.

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (11:57 AM) : 

I loved this when I first saw it on your Style.com blog, and I love it even more now. Definitely need to grab a corduroy suit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

His demeanor is what makes this look work. A cocky man would make this style seem ridiculous. On Wes Anderson, it is endearing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 PM) : 

Sometimes I want to roll my eyes at aging hipsters (my image in the mirror included), but this is completely charming!

The clothes are nostalgic, ironic, and quirky in a somewhat typical Gen X style. But this brilliant artist and nerdy heartthrob makes it look fresh, unaffected and original.

Corduroy forever and huzzah!

 

Blogger momo said ... (12:19 PM) : 

Charming smile on a brilliant filmmaker.

 

Blogger Bess said ... (12:21 PM) : 

you guys have to be kidding. a thrift shop suit and old v-neck do not mean style. Love the films, don't mind the casual approach to a suit (wrinkled, baggy) but I don't see how he is on here other than his fame.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 PM) : 

looks like a dala horse pin?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 PM) : 

I met Wes Anderson about three years ago and he was wearing a cord suit then too! Like his films he knows what he likes and he sticks to it. Nice.

 

Blogger Nelson vH said ... (12:52 PM) : 

Great look!

Simple and classic but full of taste.

The tie just rocks ;) together with the pin it adds the special detail.

Thank you Scott and Wes!

 

Blogger Edward Juan said ... (1:09 PM) : 

Oh crazy! Did you get any news about the Roald Dahl animated film he's working on?

 

Blogger Starman said ... (1:20 PM) : 

First I saw the image above this and fell in love with her, then I started thinking about how I am going to India in two months and how excited I was. Then I started thinking about The Darjeeling Limited. Then I scrolled down and I am pretty happy. The thing that Wes really needs in this photo is a line of Sailors walking in a line and in step behind him. Maybe, since this is France, they could be a little more reminiscent of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:23 PM) : 

I can get over how much I love the tie. A simple star on a navy background just looks great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

I don't really get it either: he always wears the same old corduroy suit that makes him look somewhat pale and dull. And this time matched with grey and light blue - hm. Like the pin and tie a lot though

 

Blogger Disneyrollergirl.net said ... (1:49 PM) : 

I love everything he does. Wish I could find Wes-style clothes for girls, I would just dress like that ALL the time. Go Wes!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

This is what I mean when I think "well dressed" for a man. What is the feminine equivalent of this look? That is how I would like to dress. Corduroy skirts, cashmere sweaters, silently fun indiviudal costume jewellery, what else? I will find out!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:06 PM) : 

I <3 Wes!! I love the little details of his outfit - the stars on his tie and the pin - genius, just like his movies!!!

 

Blogger JP said ... (2:13 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

Seriously!??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:46 PM) : 

Darjeeling Limited is currently spinning in my DVD player. Just happy to see a stylish movie is made by such a stylish gentleman.

 

Blogger SophieA said ... (3:03 PM) : 

love the awkward smile. future husband indeed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:23 PM) : 

Like the crooked smile.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:24 PM) : 

I love the look of his movies, but I think this is everyday fine. Cute pin, cute tie, handsomely worn suit - but hardly a sartorial inspiration... the only thing interesting is that he is relatively young to be in these clothes...

maybe its unfair that his post is surrounded by the India series?

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (3:24 PM) : 

forever seventies.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:25 PM) : 

wes, i love you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:54 PM) : 

bess - wes apparently gets his suits tailored for him by a "gentleman" on 5th avenue in new york. i imagine, therefore, that the entire look, including the fit, is deliberate and well thought out, and is not incidentally "baggy".

i think it's interesting to see a man wearing a suit that complements his character as well as his frame ...

 

Blogger Donovan said ... (4:55 PM) : 

he looks just like a character from one of his movies!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 PM) : 

i've always loved his ease — which you've captured vividly sart — but perhaps it's time for Wes to invest in another suit?

He wears that cord suit like it's a staple accessory (such as Costello's glasses, etc.) but it makes one wonder if he launders it at all...

 

Blogger amyw said ... (5:17 PM) : 

Wow. Perfect tailoring and perfectly put together. What else can I say about this look but that it's perfect?
Just from this look you can tell he has character. Other people couldn't necessarily pull this off, but he does!
There's really something to be said for such well-tailored clothes!

 

Blogger discotheque confusion said ... (5:21 PM) : 

well, i tried to contain my excitement at seeing this picture.

i managaed not to squeal, but still smiled goofily, because mr anderson is the greatest.

if i was a man, this is how i would dress.
oh hell, i'll dress like this anyway.

good call, scott!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:35 PM) : 

Oh how cool! He's my favorite of all the cool artists you've shot thus far! And he looks so idiosyncratically dapper, just lovely!

 

Blogger rosemary x said ... (9:15 PM) : 

donovan-exactly!

lovely isn't it?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 PM) : 

i'm kinda shocked so many people think his suit doesn't fit him. that is one perfectly tailored bespoke suit, no doubt about it. in terms of cut, it looks very traditional savile row.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 PM) : 

Dear Sartorialist,
I am having a hard time remembering, but I recall a post about a messed up memory card which resulted you losing a photograph of a beloved idol. For some reason my memory says it was Wes Anderson. Could this be the recovered shot? And if not, who was the idol?
Thank you, and all the best,
Clare

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (10:33 PM) : 

All about the smile.

 

Blogger stacy said ... (11:13 PM) : 

wes is the best!

love the star tie.

i wish bill murray was zipping by in the background on a golf cart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 PM) : 

clearly, I'm going against the grain on this one. Wes has the goods, but there's lacking, fading currently in his filmmaking and personal style. This corduroy eternal grad student trip isn't timeless, it's a modern style dependent on staying ahead of trends and seeing ahead of curves. Standup comics and frat boys now bust out brown corduroy - with less skill - but it's time for Wes to move on. Wes is a tastemaker, readers. So he has to make some. Darjeeling Limited was also cinematic water treading for a guy with such an Olympian track record. I want what's next.

 

Blogger secondvurss said ... (12:06 AM) : 

i agree a bit with jacq that his body looks a little out of proportion. but i think he looks this way because of the way he standing (with his hands behind his back). i bet if he put his arms to his side he would look different. he looks handsome overall - i like it when young guys wear old man suits. i think a hanky in his jacket pocket would top the outfit for me...

 

Blogger christine said ... (12:19 AM) : 

that is a great tie.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 AM) : 

Does anyone know where to get that tie? I love the stars.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 AM) : 

In this picture, he reminds me of Wallace from Wallace and Gromit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:08 AM) : 

You just happened to run into Wes Anderson? On the street...? If that was an accident then you've got to be the luckiest man in the world.

I don't usually think this of men with long locks, but he's got great hair.

 

Blogger MELI. said ... (5:42 AM) : 

one of my favorite texans. That smile makes me wanna hug him, not sure if it's his demeanor or the way the lines in his 2buttom draw my eyes into him, and I dont even have a crush on him.
All the lines between his neckline-tie-vest-and intentionally open button work magic for me. now boys, take notes.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (8:20 AM) : 

People here seem to know him. I don't. Looks a very pleasant chap but his clothes remind me of a whacky Oxford university Professor.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:02 AM) : 

gets all his bespoke done @ Mr.Ned's on 5th ave and 20th...after hearing this, i recently had them do a very slim double-breasted 3 piece (think RL black label)...ridiculously reasonable pricing w/o sacrificing fabric selection, craftsmanship, etc...would get 1 leg of a pair of Brioni trousers off the rack for the same px

 

Blogger jkh said ... (11:54 AM) : 

wow.

wes is Montgomery Burns!

 

Blogger Go-Getter said ... (3:03 PM) : 

simply a delight.
he's adorable

 

Blogger Suzanne said ... (3:47 PM) : 

my hero. great tailor, beautiful cloth, can almost feel how soft and worn-in it is. beautiful smile, beautiful hair. sigh...

 

Blogger Becky said ... (5:09 PM) : 

Mr. Burns

 

Blogger Richard said ... (5:18 PM) : 

Most men stray from corduroy thinking it will make them look too academic. I am not one of those men, and this gent looks great. I would like to see some linen in his pocket though. Regardless, I still like it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:54 PM) : 

Besides being a good director, he dresses adorably. I love the pin and detail on the tie.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 PM) : 

Lynn: He is a filmmaker, responsible for masterpieces such as The Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore, The Life Aquatic, and The Darjeeling Limited.

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (9:04 AM) : 

My Hero!

My favourite filmmaker since Whit Stillman.

An original.

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (12:16 PM) : 

Playful.
His personal style comes through very clear, just like his movies!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:26 PM) : 

i love wes!
he's always stylish and so are his films

 

Blogger David said ... (3:34 PM) : 

Prada spring 2006 had some ties with stars, but this one looks like it might be trying a little less hard for whimsy. seems nice

sk

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:52 PM) : 

One observation, with no malice or mean-spiritedness intended as I struggle with this as well: the sweater looks like an inner-tube around the lower waist (think of a child wearing an inflatible swimming device). I find this distracting to an otherwise tempered professorial look. Do you (a) pull it down; (b)tuck it in a bit or; (c) just ignore observations like mine. (I vote for "c"!)

 

Blogger ellastica said ... (1:57 AM) : 

the suit reminds me of floppy pancakes.
he does have a knack for creating stylish costumes and characters.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 AM) : 

As most have said, he is absolutely amazing.

That crooked smile is quite endearing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:22 AM) : 

He looks like a joke, a caricature

 

Blogger lorrwill said ... (7:08 PM) : 

I love every little thing about this ensemble right on down to the horse pin on his lapel. Would kill to see his shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 AM) : 

My favorite director snapped by my favorite photographer? Just lovely! I adore the similarity between his films and his aesthetic.

 

Blogger Kajsa och Axel said ... (4:28 AM) : 

gorgeous! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:07 AM) : 

dear mr scott, i am a malaysian girl who just happened to stumble upon the sartorialist one day, and i instantly fell for your blog and wonderful pictures. i am very sorry you lost the photos of michael stipe as you have once mentioned (clare, maybe this was the one you were referring to?) but i am equally happy with this absolutely charming one of wes anderson! love, delia

 

Blogger polly said ... (10:39 AM) : 

Wes is so cute and nerdy, I love this shot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM) : 

he's a charming director and carries quite a bit of that through his persona, it's a bit ill fitting but fun in the details. For him it's his uniform, he's been wearing these cord suits for years now, right? maybe a little contrived?

 

Blogger Lazy P said ... (5:46 PM) : 

i like 'is 'air do.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 PM) : 

I am last on the ball as always, but I do have opinions (that no one will read):
I like the Wes style. I mean he has another take on the strict rules of the men’s wear. I seem to remember a comment he made some years ago on the fit of a suit. I think it was "the jacket should always be a little too small, and the pants a little too big" I dont know if that is true with this outfit, but I can see he really likes the narrow shoulders.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:19 PM) : 

Oh, wes...
darling outfit, amazing movies... what else could a girl ask for?

 

Blogger Little Shirley Beans said ... (10:22 AM) : 

i have a big celebrity crush on this guy. the art direction, music, and production design in his movies are utterly brilliant and reflected in his great style. is that a horse or a unicorn pin? i hope its a unicorn. i love you wes!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:34 PM) : 

This bloke is severely overrated. His films are artefice, like the fashion industry really.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:57 PM) : 

Love Wes Anderson! A huge part of what makes his movies so amazing is his sense of design - and I love that it's basically a part of who he is and how he sees the world. He's got this incredibly unique paradigm. His suits are custom made to be a little too small, and he's always got something just a little off going on.

By far my favorite director for this very reason.

 

Blogger Ingvild S L said ... (11:18 AM) : 

I love this man!

 

Anonymous Taree said ... (5:41 PM) : 

I have spent all day looking through the archives just to find him. Being a New Your/Paris man and with such beauty, there is no way he couldn't be.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting