This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....The Dramatic Match, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

On the Street....The Dramatic Match, NYC


Personally I love everything about this combo of scarf and pinstripe suit but don't let yourself get bogged down in the specifics.

This is one of those great abstract inspiration images - "dramatic scarf for a serious suit"

I think it shows how a simple ,but well chosen, accessory can liven up a typical 9 to 5 suit.

A men's version of "day into evening"

The idea would work just as well with contrasty, bold colors and can be just inspiring to both men and women.

Comments on "On the Street....The Dramatic Match, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 AM) : 

I love this look! This gentleman rocks! My father is a recently retired African diplomat with a birthday around the corner, and I do believe that thanks to you Sart, and your dapper subject, I have found the solution to my birthday gift dilemma. Dad will receive a leopard print silk scarf, for a throwback old-school Africa in the 70's safari look, to wear in a similar manner.
All hail Scott S.!The King of Sartorialists!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:39 AM) : 

A scarf is always inspiring! I love the large proportion of this scarf - a smaller version might get lost.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 AM) : 

I know you said to not get bogged down in the specifics. However in this particular example I like the concept, but I don't love the choice of scarf.
Scott, I think your suggestion of a bold-color scarf (solid or pattern) would be a better combination with this outfit.

 

Blogger suzannemarques said ... (9:23 AM) : 

he's super!
i love his scarf... it shows such personality with that shining smile :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 AM) : 

I just wish he was wearing a better overcoat it is ruining it for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 AM) : 

Yes! "dramatic scarf for a serious suit" - gives lots of energy... as does his smile.

~ Miss Mary

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 AM) : 

Simple and rich.....
Great elements combination..
Great print for silk scarf: cowboys are back in NYC!!

 

Blogger marchingbandemporium said ... (10:25 AM) : 

Love the scarf with the suit, but not sure about the overcoat...

 

Blogger Cristina said ... (10:59 AM) : 

I LOVE this! Such personality and charm.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 AM) : 

The Satorialist says it's about "a dramatic scarf for a serious suit." But the more I look at it, the more I think it's the Barbour(?) as well, and the mix of the three. A modern male "dandy" who wore that suit might consider the scarf, but would consider the jacket a serious faux pas, I think (A country jacket in the city - horror! The rules! The rules!). But that's just it. This guy got dressed for work, then needed a rain jacket, then wanted to spruce things up a bit, and just grabbed stuff in his closet. It's unstudied. It's slightly louche. Bravo.

 

Blogger AOS said ... (11:54 AM) : 

Wow - that's genius and for some reason it just works.

 

Blogger Mitchell Weiss said ... (12:00 PM) : 

I think the picture is striking and employs a technique I'll use today. The technique is simple and quite effective as evident here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

It's unusual but I love it! Keeping the colour similar to the suit helps keep the look together.

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (4:26 PM) : 

On a lot of people, this wouldn't look natural. But on him, it does. I can tell it's just his style. I love the scarf --what an unexpected flair it gives the whole ensemble! And yes, once again, you've shown us someone who knows how to have fun and enjoy life.

 

Blogger Nelson vH said ... (6:35 PM) : 

Scott ...once again you are soooooo right!

Ladies,Gentleman....dare to x-press!

Drama Babies! ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:49 PM) : 

He looks brilliant, i love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 AM) : 

I adore this aesthetic- hard & soft, classic & urban, street & runway- it's what I live for. Mixing "culture" is the most fun thing in the world.

-AM

 

Blogger Felix Werbowy said ... (4:18 AM) : 

Beautiful, he reminds me of old men in spain going home after closing shop for their siesta. His suit is perfectly settled under his jacket, and the scarf is simply the music to this party.

 

Blogger Anthony said ... (7:53 AM) : 

In addition to this blog, I check the Men's Sartorialist on men.style.com.



I've seen this picture it seems every day, since February. Imagine my surprise seeing him here too!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:13 PM) : 

I love him! This eccentricity should be encouraged- particularly in men's dressing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:37 AM) : 

awww i like him! such a beautiful smile!

 

Blogger DBCoopernicus said ... (8:58 PM) : 

Looks OK. I'm not sold on the short overcoat. The scarf is a great accessory but I think a bolder, eye catching color would have been better, say maybe an apricot satin.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting