This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.... Smiles At Marni, Milano

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, March 10, 2008

On the Street.... Smiles At Marni, Milano

Comments on "On the Street.... Smiles At Marni, Milano"

 

Blogger Jennifer said ... (8:22 AM) : 

such a great pairing - sensible-looking woman with silly (in a good way!) shoes. oh, and bag.
she's doing it all on her terms. an individualist.

 

Blogger Darlene Sinclair said ... (8:24 AM) : 

She's looking great with one exception - those shoes must go.
Love the classy look, the chunk of color around the neckline. The hairstyle is not a favorite, but works great for her. It's just the shoes...not what I like to see with this.

 

Blogger Kara said ... (8:36 AM) : 

Those shoes are some kinda awesome. They grab my attention.

I would think, though, with the heel extending beyond the sole of the shoe, that the pleasant sensation of rocking back on the heel of your shoes would be completely impossible.

That aside, this shoe completely epitomizes the "wedge" look, which already has the effect of diminishing the length of the foot where it meets the ground. This takes that impact one step further.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 AM) : 

Very classy, but those shoes let it down.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:57 AM) : 

i saw this woman, at the marni outlet store on via tajani in milan this past september.

she had such an awesome look about her and was buying up most of the store... it's such a small world, to now see her here on sartorialist! so cool.

great photo!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:58 AM) : 

Beautiful. Subtle colours, which mix beautifully. Love her hair too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 AM) : 

Lovely lady and silk coat - what a pity that her shoes are so outrageously ugly.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:43 AM) : 

Doesn't her coat look like a Klimt painting? The chunky heeled shoes with the tights are a superb and add a bit of grounding to this forward-thinking look. The addition of the fringy bag makes this look even more edgy. Her hair is perfect and that smile, genius.

 

Blogger La Terpette said ... (9:45 AM) : 

I love how she incorporated different textures. That jacket is amaaazing. And are the beads on her necklace wrapped in fabric? I can't tell.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Fashion don't understand of aging.
Besos

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:02 AM) : 

What a fabulous coat! Doesn't she look GREAT?

The shoes strike me as something a younger woman might wear - but this lady does a good job with them too

 

Blogger katie.bar.the.door said ... (10:43 AM) : 

those shoes!

unlike most of the other posters, they are the highlight of the look to me. at first, i couldn't wrap my mind (eyes) around them--too many straps, i said. where's her other ankle? &c...

but them i enlarged the picture and stared at them for a few minutes and now i think i'm in love with them. they're so bold and military and masculine--yet incredibly geisha-like and feminine. and paired with the matte black of the socks/stockings, they come off as even more dramatic.

emphatically, i like.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (10:51 AM) : 

She looks great!
Her coat is so beautiful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:01 AM) : 

I have to disagree with the shoe comments--I actually think they nicely correspond to the quirk of the coat. Plus, I love those who dare to mix brown and black. That's a rule I'll never give in to. If there's one piece of the outfit I don't love, it's the bag. But she pulls it off. And oh, what beautiful hair....

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (11:02 AM) : 

What a wonderful mix of colors and textures. The coat resembles stained glass and the bag is fantastically spiky. And those earthy/clunky sandals: perfect combination!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 AM) : 

That coat was meant for her to wear...she just enhanced it with a round of great accessories.

Also, she is dead on with dressing her age, but what makes her unique is her ability to keep it pleasant for eyes of all ages!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 AM) : 

I love the shoes. And imagine if she was wearing shoes that "matched" her bag more closely? She would look so much less interesting. Her style is something I aim for on an everyday basis-- interesting, but relaxed.

 

Blogger trinity0207 said ... (12:14 PM) : 

The jacket is gorgeous. I personally would never choose the purse or the shoes, but she pulls them off. I toyed with the idea that the jacket, bag and sandals compete for attention...but after imaging the outfit with changes--I think I prefer it the way it is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:13 PM) : 

I wonder what fabric her coat is made of. Some kind of rough silk?

The clogs actually go quite well with her hair and bag.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (2:43 PM) : 

Those shoes bring back good memories!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 PM) : 

did anybody notice her beads?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:24 PM) : 

again with thet lighting! you MUST be moving these ladies. they cannot possibly all be standing in such perfect places upon finding them!
admit it! ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 PM) : 

Beautiful, simply beautiful. Agree with prettykittypublishing re Klimt effect. This is the kind of look I'd like to have when I'm her age. Don't have the guts to wear those shoes now, frankly ;)
Love it.
Kate

 

Blogger Lavinia Fernandes said ... (6:17 PM) : 

Perfect look!!
Hair, necklace, coat (!!!), purse, dress inside, shoes...
Everything is just great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:39 PM) : 

I want that coat! NOW...
And her hair suits her so much. The only cut that suits greying hair (in my opinion)is a short, modern cut as this woman has. It looks fabulous !!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:15 PM) : 

i probably wouldn't like the shoes on their own but it gives a whimsical touch to the whole ensemble - which i love!

 

Blogger LaBelle said ... (9:17 PM) : 

great coat, though I don't think anyone younger could pull it off. Love the hair and the young bag(who can argue with a furry bag that manages to look great?) she looks so confident and happy ... so would I if I was wearing that!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:14 AM) : 

Without the hair this outfit is nothing!It's so natural and real that she could wear anything and pull it off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:19 AM) : 

I love this look. It is so real and very joyful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 AM) : 

Most beautiful coat ever!!

Though, still don't like the brown shoes and black tights trend.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 AM) : 

I am mesmerized by the deep navy in the coat, and those squares met with the circles of her necklace. Adding that bag is great fun.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:22 AM) : 

This is how i imagine myself when i get older! perfect smile and Exclusive style!

 

Blogger londondog said ... (10:16 AM) : 

Lovely coat, lovely shoes, lovely hair.

I'd lose the bag though!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

beautiful coat- i love the way it plays off the silver in her hair and the purple in the dress. the circles of the necklace go great with the squares in the coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 AM) : 

I love love love that jacket! I love the shininess of the fabric & the color combinations. I've seen many oversized bags pictured lately, they really impact the photos, this one works nicely. I love how fresh and happy and jazzed about life she looks. I love her gray hair - I Love her spirit.
Thats one of the things I really enjoy here, you post wonderful pictures of fashionable men and women of every age, looking fabulous.

 

Blogger Marulia Green said ... (12:57 PM) : 

How can she be able to wear that WONDERFULL COAT and those HORRIBLE SHOES at the same time? Is this Fashion?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:50 PM) : 

I love the shoes. What brand are they? Does anyone know?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:01 PM) : 

I love the combination of the shoes and the coat - so unexpected and interesting. Also, gotta love the hair!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 PM) : 

She is a dead ringer for Suze Orman except for the dark hair of course.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 AM) : 

Great hair, elegant coat, inexplicably inappropriate shoes. In fact, there have been so many just plain ODD shoes on women in here on the Sartorialist the past month or so ...

So I ask: are otherwise stylish women buying into some trend toward shoes that seem to have fallen off a thrift shop pickup van? That is, though a student/artist/funky young mom etc may opt for (or be forced to settle for) cork-soled wedges or wooden platforms in late winter, what's going on when a woman like this heads there? Because running shoes or Crocs would hardly look worse to me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 AM) : 

At first, I loved the outfit and HATED the shoes! After looking at the shoes, I like them but I still don't like them with this outfit. They're totally funky and would be paired better with a classic pair of jeans. More casual. But then, I'm not a daring soul. Otherwise- love the bag and coat. Um, beads- maybe could do without. Would love to see what's under the coat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 PM) : 

I think the coat is a Dries Van Noten.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 AM) : 

The shoes are Marni. I bought them last year and they are unbelievably comfortable. The heel is balanced in a clever way.

I wish I had the courage to wear them like this!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:25 PM) : 

love the playfullness of the jacket and shoes. . . that aside. . doesn't she look EXACTLY like Suze Orman. . the financial advisor. Just saying.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:34 AM) : 

Love the sexy sassy short hair. I wish more women - especially urban-oriented - would embrace the minimalist haircut. Regardless of her age, she pulls it off with style and attitude.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:22 PM) : 

Thanks for the tip on the shoes, anonymous!! I'm going to find them and wear them with dark tights. I absolutely love that look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:17 PM) : 

Beautiful. Great style without looking like those older women who dress too young for their age, but yet still classy.

 

Blogger jlpeth said ... (7:47 PM) : 

the shoes gotta go, but the bag is awesome!

 

Blogger pearlaceous said ... (9:00 PM) : 

Love her playful style, it's such a nice picture with her smiling :)

 

Blogger lorrwill said ... (12:51 AM) : 

That is a seriously interesting coat. I would love to see close ups of it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:57 PM) : 

Great face (I agree about the likeness to Suzie Orman, but this woman looks nicer and more natural), great hair, great playful coat. I don't like the bag, but she pulls this look off... from her ankles up.
The shoes are another story. It took me a while to get used to that dark pantyhose/heavy sandals/light airy dresses look that Chloe was promoting several seasons ago, but I finally was converted :-). But I don't think I'll could ever be convinced that these shoes have a place in this ensemble.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:55 PM) : 

I love the shoes! Very original (the curve!) and feminine in an interesting way. They just not working with this outfit. The coat is gorgeous!! I just hate the bag..too kitch.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting