This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street..... Heavy Metal, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, March 31, 2008

On the Street..... Heavy Metal, Paris

Comments on "On the Street..... Heavy Metal, Paris"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

Wow! And to think I used to make fun of my Renaissance Faire friends when they wore chain mail in the "real" world. I was so wrong. They were really experimenting with something cool, even if they didn't achieve this sort of sophistication.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:25 AM) : 

ece!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 AM) : 

hey, can she walk in this shoes?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 AM) : 

Interesting, I like the look except for the crazy shoes. Don't step on a grate in those! Any length of time in them looks like it do damage to your feet too.

 

Blogger Dulwich_News said ... (9:52 AM) : 

I love her look! it's ethnic but with a twist. Her shows are gorgeous, even if impossibly high!

 

Blogger JRenee said ... (10:12 AM) : 

Are you kidding me? I love those shoes! They look like Lanvin. She is Parisian she can handle anything for beauty. I am a bit confused with the construction of this dress. I'd like to see it with her jacket off.

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (10:15 AM) : 

I like the dress. I don't think the chain maille works...it should have been the one thing she removed after getting dressed.

That said...her bare knees, those legs, the heels and the cigarette all conspire to intensify her sex appeal. She's quite hot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 AM) : 

Hi,
I went to the Met yesterday to see you and Cathy Horyn and Diane P. The audience were fans and longtime readers of all blogs and the curator Henry dude basically RUINED the event by trying to invent questions about the theoretical implications of blogging and talking for way way way too long.

We all wanted to hear the three of you have a lively exchange about fashion, and lots of us were pretty frustrated.

The panel and event should have been run by someone familiar with blogging and your blogs who had sincere questions about content. The curator should have been in the audience learning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 AM) : 

I wonder if you're aware of the fact that this lady was in one of the recent posts (http://bp0.blogger.com/_qjpwnPW4c1o/R9fdUXni4aI/AAAAAAAADFY/7VKDQpHY-Vs/s1600-h/Marpinkweb.jpg) She's a model from Turkey. I've always liked her style. The bag, the leather jacket and the gold accessory are amazing. She's amazing aswell :)

 

Blogger lina said ... (11:13 AM) : 

those shoes!

 

Blogger Heather Lou said ... (11:13 AM) : 

I love how casually she's posed in FREAKING CHAIN MAIL and 6" fetish boots. The key to pulling this off is making it look like it ain't no thang and she's got that down pat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

Hmmm, that's a challenging look for sure. But she's so damn beautiful she could wear a burlap sack, and I'd have to say--nice sack.

 

Blogger jkh said ... (11:25 AM) : 

creative
daring
poetic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 AM) : 

this is ece sukan, the turkish model-vintage shop owner.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 AM) : 

She is Ece Sukan. She is a Turkish model and a business woman, now that she has her own vintage clothing shop in Istanbul. No offense to the previous commenters but i think the best part of her outfit have to be the brown booties. Sure she can walk in them, she is a model.
I think she is the first Turkish woman i saw on the Sartorialist! Go girl! You rock!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:41 AM) : 

the chains must be weighing quite heavy on her chest. Crazy idea but she is so beautiful that she can make anything work! Is the outfit one of her own, i wonder?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:41 AM) : 

i'm lusting after her shoes. and i've always loved chain mail. it's so nice to see that burst of colour instead of another all-black ensemble. she looks like she really likes what she's wearing.

 

Blogger pocketnovella said ... (11:56 AM) : 

i love the colors in that dress, especially with the little leather jacket and her shoes. her shoes are probably pretty comfortable having a platform on them. they are not nearly as dramatic a heel height as they seem. did her chain mail look heavy or do you think it was a pretty light metal? did you get to see if it was a full vest or just a frontal piece?

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (11:56 AM) : 

WOW....I'm speechless (in a good way)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 PM) : 

I'll give a thumbs up to her beautiful face, her jacket, her dress, and her bag. All very nice.
Thumbs down to the shoes and the cigarette.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 PM) : 

While her face and the upper part is so beautiful,why must she spoil everything with those awful shoes and bare legs? The dress could be longer,since her knees are the weakest part .

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:49 PM) : 

I think her ensemble makes for a very effective photo compositionally. But viewed blown up in the photo and (as I imagine it) IRL, I find the ensemble a little incoherent. I wonder how badly she might move in those extreme shoes (which I do find beautiful in repose), and the cascade of color and chain mail in front I fear would seem very contrived when seen in person.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:50 PM) : 

YES! YES! YES! Colour in Paris (unusual, believe me). I adore it. I want this look.

V.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM) : 

Do you follow them or do they follow you?

I find her bare legs make her look trampy. I'm OK with the chain mail though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM) : 

This is totally a look for supermodels only. I cannot imagine a normal woman wearing that get up.....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:17 PM) : 

ece sukan "The Vintage Party" : www.twentymillionotherthings.com/journal/emre/ece2008/

 

Blogger about adelka... said ... (2:04 PM) : 

i dont know gow she can walk in this shoes... i like this photo because of colours

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:19 PM) : 

Ece Sukan!! I love her style, she's my favorite Turkish model.. I didn't particulary like what she's wearing in this photo but i'm pretty excited to see her here!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:24 PM) : 

Beautiful young woman, love the colors, but for me the shoes are ugly and bare legs in early Spring in Europe make no sense. (I lived there for fifteen years and never remember March being anything but windy, damp and cool.)

~ Miss Mary

 

Blogger AM: Arts and Multimedia said ... (3:52 PM) : 

mmmm very Electric? do you think she could stop bullets with that chain maille? Those heels are fierce!

 

Blogger New Yorkaise said ... (4:31 PM) : 

perfect.

 

Blogger deryik said ... (4:39 PM) : 

i adore her eyebrows. she could have been too much of a baby face without those nice, bold eyebrows. i think it gives her face a sharp definition, balancing out her curvy lips and cheeks... which is cool.

shoes could have been another color, something not brown. i dont think it look "effortless" and ece is the queen of effortless combos, so not one of my fave ece looks.

shes also a fashion photographer. in fact, shes taking more pics than walking the catwalk lately.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 PM) : 

I LOVE this picture! I love her whole outfit. the pretty dress, the shoes, the chain mail, the colors.. everything! just simply amazing. so beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:03 PM) : 

Although there are regularly amazing looks here, this one is the most impressive I've seen in that it takes two articles of clothing that could potentially look awful separately or on a different person and puts them together to create a mind-blowing look. There is some sort of genius at work here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:08 PM) : 

She is totally working the chain maille bodice. This is the sexiest piece of body armour I have ever seen. The entire ensemble just works, because she is able to work it. Get it?

T.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:30 PM) : 

I do think the bare legs with the booties look a little off. And like others, I wonder if she is able to walk gracefully in those shoes. As a general rule, I don't think a outfit is a success style-wise if it looks awkward in motion.

I'd really love to see the rest of the dress. What I can make out is beautiful. Does anyone know the designer?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:57 PM) : 

this is just too cool. love the look and especially love the shoes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:25 PM) : 

The chain detail is pretty, I don't know why most women are afraid of gold. The shoes are pretty awesome as well (surely she could walk in them), but I would prefer more color than just that little "waterfall".

-AM

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:18 PM) : 

ohmigod. Really unbelievable. Her dress or scarf or whatever is under her chain mail looks like a melted Superball to me...

I have to agree with Heather, above, that she manages to look completely nonchalant in her 6" heels and METAL CHAIN MAIL in the DAYTIME?! Back in the day, when I would go to a nightclub as a bad little good girl and dress up for fetish night, I couldn't DREAM of looking that totally cool. Sigh.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 PM) : 

those "crazy" shoes r Mcqueen.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 PM) : 

i don't feel like this outfit works. not flattering at all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 PM) : 

On the street?

Surely I am not meant to believe that you just happened upon this famous beauty. Feels staged. Not that it isn't interesting to look at.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 PM) : 

I thought this was Ashley Alexandra Dupré.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 PM) : 

Notwithstanding the psychedelic color, there's something campy 1950s B-movie noir about this look--picture her in black and white.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 PM) : 

Love it. I wouldn't have thought of half of the criticisms of other posters here. But on first look I thought it was genius. Loving the sparking molten lava bib of the dress!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 PM) : 

While I think the bare legs and boots like great yet extremely uncomfortable, they really add something to the absolute fashion of the look--its fashion, not function; its form, not comfort.

Now, I try and stay on the side of extremely comfortable fashion, but bravo to her, she looks great.

 

Blogger Mlle M. said ... (11:54 PM) : 

Mmm, I think the composition of this outfit is nothing less than brilliant. I love how the Chanel chain-strap bag plays off of the chain mail, um, bodice. Where in the world did she get that, anyway, and what possessed her to wear it over a dress? At any rate, daring and sexy. The mix of textures is amazing as well, with the leather, the gauzy-looking print, the chains, and the skin. Those insane boots finish off the whole thing. This woman has a LOT of edge to her, I would guess.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 AM) : 

Love love love. The shoes look uncomfortable. But still love.
Your site brings me joy every day, my friend.
Thank you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 AM) : 

I looovvveee the shoes. I like how she add interest to her outfit with a pop of color.

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (2:09 AM) : 

I saw Veronika Jeanvie's chainmail at a show a few weeks ago. It looked a lot like this.
I find it wonderful. In fact, I was one of the few who loved Veronika's show because I accepted it for what it was, on its own terms as a form of creative exploration.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:59 AM) : 

the dress and maille are great but the bare legs with those unfortunate but currently trendy boots distract from the richness of the outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:56 AM) : 

I LOVE HER DRESS! THE MOVEMENT IN HER DRESS CREATED BY THE COLORS LOOKS REMINISCENT OF RIVER FLOWING, SO FLUID!

 

Blogger Anna said ... (5:33 AM) : 

Great look, love the skinny legs and the way she shows them off. I have to say however that during these past months when i have been silently observing this blogg i have stumbled oh so many times to "famous" people on your photos. This is a bit discouraging because it goes to show that in reality if you are not a model/actress/stylist/musician/fashion boutique owner/add anything you want here you simply cannot wear certain looks...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:38 AM) : 

I know this girl, she's a turkish model, she have just opened a Vintage Shop in Istanbul !

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (7:02 AM) : 

For Anna
"add anything you want here"
come on, you are just making excuses for yourself.

I'm not shooting them because they are famous, how could i possibly know all these different people?

but they look great and can be very inspiring

what you need to work on is finding places or events to go to dressed like that

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:43 AM) : 

I remember a movie by Wim Wenders about Yamamoto (Notebook on Cities and Clothes). Yamamoto tells there, that he can't do anything for women with high heels.

Maybe she can walk, but I bet it looks silly.

 

Blogger Anna said ... (9:43 AM) : 

For Sart:

Sart, of course i didn't imply that you shoot them just because they are "famous" but what i meant is that if you go to a certain event and the people who are worth being photographed are the aforementioned then where are everyday people who actually have such an incredible and inspiring sense of style?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:38 AM) : 

i know her from istanbul. she has an amazing vintage store.(www.ecesukanvintage.com)
she is a model, stylist, and doing a fashion show for a tv. in turkey, she is considered as the style icon. check her facebook group. she is talking to everybody, karl lagerfeld, v&r, jpg ...
here is the link and the name of the group,http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8137676069&ref=mf

her name is ece sukan.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 AM) : 

this picture is shot while she was going to givenchy show in paris.

i like the photograph and the way she poses also.

the background and her outfit works really cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

Are you kidding? Of course she can walk in those. Just look at the platform. Love those shoes...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 AM) : 

Any woman as talented, daring and beautiful as this can wear whatever she wants. The world benefits from people like her who open seams, let out the stylistic jacket, and adorn themselves with wit and flair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:45 PM) : 

Those shoes! Fantastic!

Cheryl Marie Cordeiro

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:07 PM) : 

Eceee! she knows how to rock the fashion, go girl!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:33 PM) : 

Well said, Sart.

Once you reach a certain age and station in life (I'm 42), you're a bit more at liberty. I wear suits, and these days thanks to Sart I'm wearing them trimmer and showing more cuff. In the spring, I'll sport pocket squares of various kinds and even a boutonniere now and then, but not always a flower. Do I care if someone raises an eyebrow at this playfulness? No. It is the privilege of age.

Of course, if you're not in the fashion industry and you don't want to be thought a frivolous fool, you think of the context in which you do all these things. But there is an astounding level of tolerance these days within these contexts, and Sart has constantly shown us people who take advantage of this.

As he says, seek out the most libertine contexts for the most fun: any event in the arts community, or big anonymizing festivals, private parties with adventurous friends (the best kind), and of course these riotously beautiful cities like Paris, London, NYC, Milan, etc., which positively beg for more sartorial energy and elan than the weekly trip to the feedlot.

Ece Sukan and Paris deserve each other. Ece Sukan? Ecce donna.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:24 PM) : 

I see Anna's point but Sart wants to be inspired and inspirational and obviously he knows which streets to go to.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:19 PM) : 

I think she is beautiful but dislike the outfit and bare legs

 

Blogger allie wu lin said ... (7:17 PM) : 

oh my look at those heels.

i hold respect for the sheer fact of those shoes.

scarf on the other hand, im not feelin so much. it looks awkward, like something spilled on her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:41 PM) : 

yeah i love this. challenging tho, esp. the shoes. but it all works and not because of her pretty face (as some posters have been intimating re: pulling off 'unusual' styles)

 

Blogger Mare said ... (7:44 PM) : 

i am not crazy about this look but i give her an A+ for effort and for trying something completely new and off-the-wall.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 AM) : 

this is so new. i love it!! she's got great legs so why not show them? and she manages to look comfortable with those killer hills? how?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 PM) : 

I'm really torn on this outfit. Mostly, I hate it, I think it's awkward and mismatched in the bad way. On the other hand, sometimes I think that's just cuz I need to open my mind more. The scarf weirds me out, but without it, the look would be chavvy with all that gold. The shoes, I really don't know about. Hrm. But in some ways it's very cool, because of that.

Still, I like a good challenge, so keep em coming ha.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 PM) : 

I have something similar..never wore it though; I cannot wait for the warm wether to come,I'll put it on

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:15 AM) : 

Strange..... However, the ciggie sets it off. Why is it that something the is so wrong is so right?

 

Blogger D e n i z said ... (3:33 PM) : 

ece sükan... i love her. wonderful shoes, wonderful style.

 

Blogger la femme said ... (12:07 AM) : 

Wow- I love this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:47 PM) : 

Fabulous. Just fabulous!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:34 PM) : 

This is one of my favorite looks on the site. It would never occur to me to buy a chain mail top or to wear it this way but I think it looks really great. It's easy to make something like this look too "try hard" or tacky but the way it kind of blends in with the dress looks great. If anyone is wondering, I believe the dress is balenciaga. Does anyone know who the shoes are by?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:57 PM) : 

i love ece!! i love her style she is one of the bests in Turkey

 

Blogger trish paik said ... (9:01 PM) : 

her shoes are amazing

 

Blogger Ozge Ayse Kebabcioglu said ... (9:46 AM) : 

agree with nurdan she is one of the bests in Turkey. Model, fashion editor, business woman she is really successful! love her!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 AM) : 

Ece rocks! not to mention her name's meaning is 'the queen' .. she is the best of Turkey.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:53 PM) : 

Go Ece Sükan.Get some colour for Paris(it's really unusual there).I'm doing styling too and i like what she does really.Love the shoes and the subtle harmony of the ethnic, apron-like dress with the jacket.By the way,She throws some fantastic fashion parties in İstanbul-Turkey which is worth seeing really.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:47 AM) : 

She is really so beautiful...and if she can walk with these shoes congratulations!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

you guy's says that she is parisian, but she not, she is a turkish supermodel, vintagestore owner, editor of turkish vogue etc. an you know what? she is damn beutiful
// selinay

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting