This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street..... Blue & Black, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, March 31, 2008

On the Street..... Blue & Black, Paris


I think introduction of black jeans have pretty much shattered the "rule" that blue and black don't work together.

Comments on "On the Street..... Blue & Black, Paris"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:41 AM) : 

I love just about everything this guy has got going for him: the haircut, the frames, especially how he accentuates his leanness with superfitted clothes. Those jeans kick ass--and the sad thing is, they're probably just Levi's. Levi's cuts are completely different in the EU; I bought two pairs in France this summer, and they fit like nothing you can find in the States--and there seems to be no way to buy them online and ship them over. A source of immense frustration.

I know you were there, Sart, and maybe it's the way the beauiful backlight hits the shoulders on the velvet jacket, but the coat looks like a deep navy to me, and the jeans a super-saturated indigo. Or it could be my screen.

 

Blogger S. said ... (8:47 AM) : 

Perfect. He looks very APC for some reason...everything is in harmy, the reason it works is that the jeans are slightly faded, making the look more rustic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:53 AM) : 

there was a rule that blue and black didn't go together... oops

 

Blogger Nelson vH said ... (9:01 AM) : 

Is this a velevt coat? If so..real nice!

Jeans and sportscoat is a tricky thing tho... ;)

For my taste, with legs that slim he should wear pants that are not too tight! A cotton belt would be nice ... However, he seems to be at home with these clothes.

The boots are real nice.

AND - I REALLY LIKE THE BAG! It´s the masculine bag that I´ve been asking for in a previous post.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 AM) : 

i'm a loser.. i've often combined black and blue.. don't think that they don't fit together ;)

 

Blogger marchingbandemporium said ... (9:08 AM) : 

Great pic, love his louche pixie ethic. I have never understood this "rule" about black and blue. Mind you, it has to be dark navy and black, but the combo has always been a killer one in my eyes.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:15 AM) : 

It's Geek very Chic. :)

 

Blogger RubyRai said ... (10:05 AM) : 

Incredibly attractive.

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (10:05 AM) : 

I like this, especially the velvet!...I, too, have never understood this rule regarding black and navy. I think the combination can be very mysterious...mystery is good!

 

Blogger JRenee said ... (10:08 AM) : 

I would venture to say this image also banishes the rule that brown and black shouldn't be mixed. I love the bag with this look. Not to mention his blazer fits him so well, I first thought it was a cardigan. This man knows how to dres himself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 AM) : 

It has always worked for me, blue+black. One of the best combinations ever.

 

Blogger Min said ... (10:24 AM) : 

so cute! i for one love a good black and blue combo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 AM) : 

I think the "rule" applied mainly to black and navy. This combo works well.

 

Blogger Diana said ... (10:51 AM) : 

I think there is nothing wrong with this combination.
This guy reminds me somehow of the young Yves Saint Laurent.
Am I wrong?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 AM) : 

why does it "have to be" dark navy and black - and if so, would not this picture, of a man wearing light blue and grey and black, be totally incongruent with your statement?
with any of those combinations (black/brown, blue/black, grey/brown) you just have to establish which is your "color' and which is your neutral.
The rule probably arose because navy is commonly worn as a neutral base in peacoats and pants and the like.
P.S. I just came from a costumes class where it was righteously declared that the blue rules have fallen forever. hilarious coincidence, sart.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Rules were made to be broken, Sart. Except for the one about Crocs - those things should be band from public use.

 

Blogger Anna Mack said ... (11:14 AM) : 

oh my god, I'm in love.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:17 AM) : 

Very cool. And, yes, I love the bag.

 

Blogger wesleyrowell said ... (12:23 PM) : 

there is no such thing as colors that don't 'go together'.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:42 PM) : 

Even though the black jeans here look smashing, I cannot separate them from the image of a few washes later when the black fades and suddenly I see my mom's worn, black-gray jeans from the 90s.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

Black and blue are often great together. Midnight blue velvet on a man is delicious. But he looks so tightly wound up with his deliberately chosen glasses, fully buttoned shirt, and tiny-leg pants! It would be interesting to see him live and note whether his personality is as tight as his look, or more freewheeling.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:55 PM) : 

Black and blue are often great together. Midnight blue velvet on a man is delicious. But he looks so tightly wound up with his deliberately chosen glasses, fully buttoned shirt, and tiny-leg pants! It would be interesting to see him live and note whether his personality is as tight as his look, or more freewheeling.

 

Blogger Jaap van Vliet said ... (2:19 PM) : 

Nice

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:30 PM) : 

You mean the black jeans we wore in the late 80s?

To me, blue and black are the two colors of night - they belong together, but can be confusing. Black can make any color look too "pure" unless a counterpoint is added. Maybe that's the role of this mahogany colored briefcase in the color composition.

But here's something quirky: about 25 years ago I was looking for a black cardigan vest and stopped in at Brooks Brothers, thinking such a standard, old-school item would be in stock. Nope. I was told they didn't do black. Other than formalwear and leather accessories, nothing, or that's what I was told. On the other hand they did have the deepest, darkest navy blue you could ask for. (I got the sweater - needed for a play I was doing - at Paul Stuart.)

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (2:38 PM) : 

I've been looking for such a blazer for a long time, and the bag is beautiful. I was not aware of that rule; if it exists I love the way he flaunts it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:07 PM) : 

where do you find a good bag/briefcase like this for a young man - first job in nyc?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:29 PM) : 

intense.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:35 PM) : 

this combo works so well bc he mix black and light blue (matching with his eyes btw) oh, and i love the bag!

yay! for the boys is paris!

 

Blogger Gina Marie said ... (4:04 PM) : 

What rule?

----* the rules.


*insert gratuitous f word here*

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:21 PM) : 

Word Sart! But what about black and brown?

 

Blogger Post-it boy said ... (4:50 PM) : 

HE'S THE SORT OF PERSON TO ENJOY A NICE CUP OF TEA WITH.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:00 PM) : 

Oh my, this looks like the man of my dreams!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:11 PM) : 

We all know it's only working so perfectly because he's French he has all the little details spot on like the velvet jacket, the turned back cuff, the hair just so, the chustnut brown bag, those boots, those needlecords and the specs, the pecs.....shall i go on??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:27 PM) : 

I def agree and I've always combined the two. As long as you can rock it, you've got it.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:29 PM) : 

anyone know what bag that is? or where to find bags like that? its amazing. iv been looking for one like that for months.

 

Blogger Mlle M. said ... (12:08 AM) : 

Pretty darn hip. I've heard of this rule about blue and black not going together, in the context of not wearing black shoes with a blue ensemble, but never quite understood why. To my plebian eye it looks nice.

Also, to an earlier comment about black jeans fading after multiple washes - it's best to dry clean them! Or I've heard tell of a laundry detergent specifically for black clothing. An Italian brand?

On an unrelated note, to The Sartorialist himself: Have you ever thought of visiting Shanghai? (I'm sure you get that question all the time, but please humor me. :) It is soon to be my home, and when I visited last summer the everyday fashion was creative and awesome. Your camera would have a good time there.

 

Blogger Irides said ... (1:00 AM) : 

Is it just me... or do his buttons darken as they go down his blouse?

If they do...

That's so awesome.

 

Blogger Amelia said ... (1:24 AM) : 

I love the textures! The shirt and the bag are pretty darn awesome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:11 AM) : 

I love this man's outfit... nice jeans, structured/slim yet casual bags and shoes, that lovely jacket that ties it all together... but that shirt has got to go. Yes, the color and fabric pattern is beautiful, but that cut hardly does anything for him.

...meh.

 

Blogger j'taimee said ... (2:41 AM) : 

I love the subtle sheen of the messenger satchel against blue and black.

 

Blogger Mylinh said ... (6:55 AM) : 

"Blue and black should never be seen, without a colour in between..." so goes the saying, but hell, I broke this rule a long time ago. I personally like the combo, and Sart, you have have shown this velvety combo before in one of my fave outfits ever, the one of the blonde haired woman with the lovely silhouette of a bubble skirt and plain tight high neck top... a couple of posts ago, the one I thought looked like Sienna Miller. Anyway, long live blue and black. I also love the very fresh combo of pink and orange.

 

Blogger allie wu lin said ... (7:20 PM) : 

I love how the nerdy look has become attractive.

This definitely does it for me. :]

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:31 PM) : 

hmmm...I think what really links everything togeter is the velvety vest. It gives a nice blueish glow.

 

Blogger Keisha Kornbread said ... (10:00 AM) : 

I want him!!!

He looks amazing in a casual way. Everything works superbly together.

 

Blogger Jurrjens said ... (11:29 AM) : 

Wonderful... Scholarly and chic, without pretension. I'm all for blue and black, as long as the undertones in the black match. Love the bag; you could happily carry it for a lifetime.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM) : 

he looks like a smoldering literary rockstar in the making

 

Blogger emc2 said ... (8:55 PM) : 

I've never understood that rule at all. I'll often combine black and blue. It's also great for popping out a light colour and making it shine, wear a light-yellow scarf with a black-and blue velvet and jeans. The light-yellow scarf will scream silently.

 

Blogger eloise in berlin said ... (7:27 AM) : 

Oh me too, it's one of my all time favourite colour combinations!!! Let it live on and on...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:16 PM) : 

Black and Blue? That'll Do!

 

Anonymous cheap promotional items said ... (1:03 PM) : 

I have never seen such a fantastic combination of blue and black colors. I really appreciate this...

 

Blogger John Sebastian Eldridge said ... (11:06 AM) : 

and black and brown obviously!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting