This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Looks Like He Just Walked Off The Runway, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Looks Like He Just Walked Off The Runway, Paris

Comments on "Looks Like He Just Walked Off The Runway, Paris"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 AM) : 

Looks like he just walked off the runway... Yes, he does, and not in a good way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:51 AM) : 

it is a beautiful sweater and jacket and goes well with his face and body style,
but
i don't like the cut of the trousers and the shoes

 

Blogger Nelson vH said ... (8:06 AM) : 

...definately far to straight from the runway!

The boots are cool tho`. The Sweater as well - but the combi doesn´t feel natural to me.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (8:08 AM) : 

The runway? Does that mean the same as catwalk? God, let's hope not. I truly think this is awful. Sorry.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:08 AM) : 

what a fabulous picture...it is so beautifully proportioned as a photograph and the colors ..down to the group of people in dark clothes in the background make him stand out. Everything about him...his hair, glasses, outfit, boots, the thom browne look, is perfect. Congrats.

 

Blogger bridal fashion by MILLIE said ... (8:08 AM) : 

I'm in love with the concept of this blog! I see so much more here than just some fantastic clothes. I've been looking through your archives....it's amazing how much your photography has improved. Beautiful!!! I'm curious...what kind of camera are you using???

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:14 AM) : 

looooonger, tapered pants, with a cuff, even. Otherwise, nice color palatte!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 AM) : 

Do we know who made this fantastic coat?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 AM) : 

Reminds me of an old song by The Cure.... "Why Can't I Be You?"

AMAZING....

 

Blogger classicDRAMATIC said ... (8:42 AM) : 

i adore this.

 

Blogger Dovid said ... (8:50 AM) : 

I LOVE the glasses. Dunno about the rest, however.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:01 AM) : 

Except those shoes. Otherwise I'd say you're spot on Sart, but those shoes, in black, with that big sole (thick soles are rarely, if ever, a good thing in shoes). But the top part I really dig-trendy uncarring.

Energie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

Looks Like He Just Had to Get Dressed Quickly In The Dark and Grabbed Her Husband's Trousers Instead of His Own, Paris

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 AM) : 

love the rings!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:35 AM) : 

Great colors and textures. A literary fellow, perhaps. Thank goodness no scarf. I have a hard time seeing trousers that length as anything other than boyish. On a chap his age, it looks great.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:39 AM) : 

Beautiful. The hues and textures, the proportions, his hair, the glasses.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

Harry Potter grew up cute.

 

Blogger Susan B said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Oh, he's amazing! People, *this* is how to do simple and uncluttered!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:20 AM) : 

Does he?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

oooh, beautiful! i love this!
the muted colours and shapes and slight Dickensian look are very masculine (i mean that in the sense that the average straight male would not have any of those hang-ups (you know, the "do i look too gay?" kind) wearing this), but at the same time this would in fact work equally well on a woman. i'm a chick and i would wear this exact outfit in a heartbeat.
i love that this outfit is about PURE FORM (shape and color) and nothing else. it's timeless and genderless.
this is my favorite Sartorialist for Men shot EVER!

 

Blogger Kaila said ... (10:56 AM) : 

I'm IN LOVE. I wish you had some sort of contact list for penpals!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:00 AM) : 

Love the pieces to this look, but to me it's too off without some sort of shirt, even a t-shirt, under the sweater. Not into that high school musical hair nor the big glasses. The colors and textures of the fabrics are really beautiful and the boots are great. And I would love to be in that tree-lined allee!

 

Blogger Nerine said ... (11:09 AM) : 

the plum in the vest pops the whole outfit.

 

Blogger Julie said ... (11:37 AM) : 

GREAT ! The pullover and the jacket are just a perfect match

 

Blogger Thomas said ... (11:52 AM) : 

Ah, so effortlessly brilliant. The glasses - perfect. The pattern on the sweater - perfect.

Your photos of Paris have been getting my through the day - thank you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

I'm sorry but I have to say I very much disagree with this one. Everything is just a little bit off, a little bit like he's trying hard and did not succeed. The pants should be a little shorter, the jacket looks cheap. The hair and glasses are just... no, nothing works for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 PM) : 

Brown or corovan shoes, and a shirt.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (12:08 PM) : 

SNAZZY!

 

Blogger Percy Chatsworth said ... (12:13 PM) : 

Wow.

Perfect overcoat, lovely and nerdy argyle sweater and glasses, fun little plaid trousers teasingly short.

Looks like he went to the Michael Kors show, got lost and ended up at Thom Browne's shop who later shortened his trousers!

A great find Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

sweet proportion, but i just don't understand the unseemly clash between patters. argyle and plaid, really?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 PM) : 

Oh monochromy, how you do right by me! Love the length of the trousers, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

The coat is beautiful, but the warm colors in the argyle are what makes the ensemble work for me. I love the effect of colorful pieces punching up neutral pieces.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 PM) : 

He really does look like that!

I like the fabrics, the colors, the whole combination is just awesome (including the hair and glasses :P )

Don't like the shoes that much, but I guess they go well with the rest of the outfit..

 

Blogger whyioughtta said ... (1:02 PM) : 

Beautiful coat. Love his colour choices and mix. Wonder how people feel about the choice of boots, though...?

 

Blogger JO said ... (1:07 PM) : 

Yes he does!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 PM) : 

WOW! this is my first post here.. AMAZING!!love the colors, subtle mix of patterns, and the rings.. very well put together!

 

Blogger marchingbandemporium said ... (1:12 PM) : 

Still not convinced by short trousers, especially on taller men, but the rest of his look is great and very well suited to his face. (Also, love the glasses...)

 

Blogger Liz said ... (1:29 PM) : 

Beautiful. Adore the glasses. But even more, I love the warmth and unexpected lightness of these fabrics together. Would have liked to see a more refined shoe rather than a boot.

Nice find Sart!

 

Blogger Sam said ... (1:32 PM) : 

Great color coordination. Fantastic fit (for the most part - I'm personally not a fan of pants that don't reach my feet). But what I wonder now, as I often do is why does he look so miserable? People need to smile more.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

really?
there's something about the cut of the pants... something about the lapels.
it's close, and i LOVE his hair. but it's not... quite...
for me!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:54 PM) : 

He looks like a scientist. I want to see all those rings he's got.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

hmm. I don't like the way his pants fit him and I hate his shoes. And I'm not saying his pants are too short.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

love how the glasses match the sweater - but v neck with no shirt? please honey, no. And i don't even know what to do about those rings!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:30 PM) : 

French Harry Potter?
ATWR

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

From the knees up yes, but he's either waiting for a flood, or about to kick ass with those boots. Nonetheless, a beautiful fitting jacket.

 

Blogger momo said ... (2:36 PM) : 

Love the look, love the way the trees create the line of perspective to frame him.

How fashion changes! In my high school days, we would have yelled, "Floods!" if someone wore their pants at that length, but here I'm really liking it with the length of the coat and the combination of fabrics,

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 PM) : 

perfect.
especially the hair, glasses and colours.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:06 PM) : 

he grew up in the meantime...

 

Blogger Bella07 said ... (3:21 PM) : 

I love things, people, that make my head tilt to the right. Kind of that second look, a little confusion mixed with great interest,
Love it everything about his whole look hair, glasses, trousers...

 

Blogger anu said ... (3:29 PM) : 

The boots really do seem too heavy, and I just cant make my self like those short pants.

But otherwise, nice.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:17 PM) : 

The vest makes it.

 

Blogger ANA said ... (4:21 PM) : 

I love the whole experimentation with the proportions -- donning a long coat on cropped pants, the sweater and the glasses are perfect. Is it just me or does the whole thing in some way evoke a neo romantic feel? Love the backdrop.

 

Blogger Hazelnut said ... (4:27 PM) : 

what a cool look! he reminds me of Yvan from the Face Hunter, but a couture version of him...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:41 PM) : 

Maybe with different shoes and skinner pants..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 PM) : 

I just saw this man's pic on face hunter. His clothes look equally bland in both pictures. Was it a slow day?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 PM) : 

from his waist down it's not impressive doesnt seem the fit the top. the outfit is marred by the shoes and the pants which dont seem to have any kinda of definition

nice specs hair and sweater tho

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:01 PM) : 

OH, SWEET LORD! JUST DISCOVERED IF YOU CLICK ON THE PICTURE IT WILL OPEN IN A NEW WINDOW MUCH LARGER! WHO KNEW?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:23 PM) : 

He looks like a scientist

 

Blogger Agyesh said ... (7:23 PM) : 

Best blog ever. Period.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:42 PM) : 

facehunter photographed the same man the same day the same location

but yr composition of the photograph is far superior

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:03 PM) : 

What a fabulous coat! I'm wondering though if the trousers work as well without the overcoat... They seem balanced, and not too short, because of the length of the coat.

(and I do agree the outfit would look better with other shoes-- perhaps a more fun pair!)

But nevertheless, bravo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 PM) : 

It also looks like he just walked off the Face Hunter too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 PM) : 

..where, moments earlier, he mistakenly put on another, shorter model's trousers.

sorry, still not going for this length trouser.

a shirt and a different pair of shoes would've helped, too...

- minette

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 PM) : 

Love everything on the top half. The pants, not so much. They make his legs look short.

 

Blogger cbkphotos said ... (9:36 PM) : 

love this outfit!
its soo geeky but chic!!! love it!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 PM) : 

Is this Gabriel Baldessin?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 PM) : 

the coat is Paul & Joe FW07

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 PM) : 

One of the worst outfits I have ever seen on my favorite site.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56 PM) : 

Beautiful composition and colours. Proportions are off...shoulders are too narrow, too much neck showing, pants need sharp crease at that length.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 PM) : 

everydayelegance (12:13 pm), your comment cracks me up!

for me, the sweet spot of this ensemble is the RINGS!

 

Blogger Reepicheepers said ... (11:08 PM) : 

He's way too scrawny to wear the sweater with nothing under it!
I don't find anything appealing about this ensemble at all. Give me an American jock guy any day!

 

Blogger benson said ... (11:22 PM) : 

In my high school he would have gotten grief but at my college he would have been "the cool guy". What confidence and ease of style he has to pull this off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 PM) : 

Son of (Yoseminite) Sam? Glasses extremely complimentary. The pants; the boots: circa 1969. I know. I was there. Didn't work then, doesn't work now. Too bad, il est beau.

 

Blogger La Terpette said ... (11:38 PM) : 

I love everything... except those pants... or are they not supposed to be pants? I don't know.

 

Blogger Eni + Anu said ... (12:16 AM) : 

Abs love the hair, color coordination and glasses... Wish he wore different shoes though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:02 AM) : 

Hmmm, those pants really ruin it for me;k It makes his legs look short, when they are obviously not. The sweater on the other hand is really working with those glasses, his hair and that little smirk on his face, I just wish he'd take those horrible pants off and throw on on some dark jeans, maybe a scarf and a less feminine jacket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 AM) : 

I disagree with many here- I love the shortish pant especially with a boot. Very cute.

 

Blogger Sarah Lynne said ... (2:23 AM) : 

i know this blog is about fashion... by this guy is gorgeous, so who cares.


(ok I can't help it. Honestly I'm a bit confused with the length of the coat in relation to the pants. I would never recommend it. still... i would be happy to be seen with this guy. in all my confusion, i would trust his fashion sense.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:43 AM) : 

Sart, I love you but are you stealing from the facehunter? He posted a photo of the same young man at the same venue on February 25. I do prefer your photo however.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:18 AM) : 

that perfect coat!!!!!

 

Blogger Charlotte said ... (6:17 AM) : 

Beautiful trousers! Men must be much more audacious when wearing trousers in such a dapper lengh.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:05 AM) : 

I do like the colour combination here very much - the mix of grey, maroon, mustard.

I do think it makes him look like he has very narrow shoulders. A lot of male attire is about emphasising the shoulders, so this looks very different (not necessarily that flattering).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:29 AM) : 

Yeah He did, but I love this jacket !

Great pic, though.

 

Blogger Victoria María said ... (7:36 AM) : 

i love this outfit ♥

 

Blogger Luisa said ... (8:09 AM) : 

Everything looks too wide, too short, too narrow, too long, and too beige.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 AM) : 

This picture, [well the same guy, in the same place, different pose] was already on FaceHunter.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:49 AM) : 

The whole point is that the runway is always a little tweaked, the shapes are always a bit off = but in a good way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:10 AM) : 

Cute, cute! He looks like he had to get out of bed in the middle of the night to let his dog outside. It looks funny, but it makes me smile - isn't that what fashion is all about?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 PM) : 

Sorry, but I can't help but feel that this presents as awkward and inelegant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 PM) : 

The coat is slender and fits his shape well, and I adore the sweater, but the trousers make his shape look a tad stumpy, and don't flatter his slender figure, they shorten it.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (2:30 PM) : 

I think awkward and inelegant can be charming

elegance has its own drawbacks

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:46 PM) : 

it looks like he just rolled out of bed

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:34 PM) : 

I am in love and want to marry him!
the cutest best dressed guy EVER

sigh....

RJT

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:40 PM) : 

PEOPLE!!
i can't believe his outfit has been such a controversy!
i look at this picture and it instantly puts a song in my head. it sounds something like a cross between The Cure's "forest" and the Bach cello suites. it's a beautiful sound.
i already left a post eulogizing this look. i'm going to stay quiet about it now. just felt i had to throw in my two cents. again.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:25 PM) : 

I love how this look comes together, but I detest those boots. Otherwise, spot-on.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 PM) : 

You are all joking right?

His lack of shirt, too-short pants and overall look reminds me of Victorian-era photos of convicts. He's just missing the chain around his ankle.

 

Blogger biglakestyle said ... (5:39 AM) : 

Always fascinating to join in after many comments have been left, although I could sure do without the OMG, I love this man, etc. comments which add zero. Looks like it's down to the pants length and the boots. The short pant length thing is great for younger guys but like many fashion "trends" it is unlikely to join the list of classics. Shorten an existing pair for $8 and you can join the party. Is it visual or narrative with respect to the pants length appeal? If this young man wore a more refined footwear, would it verge or even crash into silliness? My guess is yes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:07 AM) : 

Your Paris photos have been an absolute delight! This chap looks very French indeed and is the very definition of Spring dressing. I like the tailored top top half against a more chunky trouser cut and shoe! Those glasses are everywhere but on some people they just look great, this chap pulls them off! A great shot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 AM) : 

Admittedly (and as the above comments confirm), this look is not for everyone. Personally I'd never survive pants that short on me (short girl, odd length jeans, could be disaster) but I love love his look! Elegant but quirky!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 AM) : 

sart hits the mark!

 

Blogger Chike-Ikechi said ... (5:45 PM) : 

Interesting...Face Hunter had snapped the same gentleman. The colors of the clothes are well put together, but its the hair and the glasses (those accessories) that won me over. Like Stylesavage noted, I'm loving the juxtaposition of the very well-tailored/proportioned upper half of the outfit and the more free flowing, spirited pants and shoes. The pants and shoes really complement one another.

Lovely backdrop and overall composition of the photo. You never fail to pay attention to those artistic details.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:29 PM) : 

I'm torn. On one hand, I like how the odd proportions make me want to look twice. On the other, I'm thinking "he probably has a fantastic body somewhere under those short, voluminous pants and long frumpy coat". I don't know whether to clap or cry that he's made himself look quite stumpy.
On the other hand, I love the idea of the outfit totally. The sweater with no shirt underneath, the glasses, the mussed up hair. Perhaps I'm biased because it looks like my boyfriend in the morning- therefore reminding me why I love my boyfriend so much in the morning (so cute!).

 

Blogger secondvurss said ... (10:19 PM) : 

i like it, but i agree with the comment earlier that the pants need to be a tad bit shorter... otherwise a great ensemble!

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (12:07 AM) : 

I could write a story about this young man. Outfits like this are put together to create a character, which I think he's done.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:47 AM) : 

Would that the length were the only "shortcoming" of those trousers. They have the charm of grandpa's thriftshop giveaways ... OK, for some that's actually real charm, anti-fashion fashion, ironic youthful commentary. For me, no. Like the last stray piece of an old leisure suit.

The lad is good looking and makes an interesting model. The coat looks good, and I like the sweater - why would it require a shirt? Various shirts at the neckline will yield various looks - and no shirt is one of them. He has a nice neck, so why not?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

Nope. Nothing sartorial about this chap. But then again, I'm not sure if this is a blog about photography or the sartorial arts...Point of fact, he looks a bit silly. Looks like these are only for fashion insiders or "flamboyant" types and have little to do with the rest of us. He wears a costume for his peers, nothing more. (And for a costume, I must say it falls a bit flat!)

 

Blogger Tri said ... (5:13 PM) : 

it's about time Waldo gets a total makeover

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:07 AM) : 

I love this, its very Paris - he hasn't tried too hard. Or has he? There's a mystique in the clothes. Love the glasses.

 

Blogger agni said ... (6:26 AM) : 

everything but the boots, to big for the combo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 AM) : 

This guy is trying to hard, he would look alot less affected if he did the following three things,
1. Wore sleeker shoes: the fat shoes accentuated by the short trousers makes him look a little napoleon dynamite
2. Wore a shirt: I don't necessarily think that in and of itself the shirtless bit is bad at all but with his calaculated looking "messy" hair and rings the whole thing seems even more over done.
3. take off a few of the rings, man jewelry should be worn with alot of restraint otherwise it just cheapens the whole look.

The main point lies in that while the runway is great it isn't meant to be real life a runway isn't life. This kid (maybe its just this picture) looks like hes always trying to be such a hipster that you can't actually take him seriously. Alot of the best dressed guys on this blog are incredibly elegant because they add alot of little touches which reward a closer look, this guy lacks alot of subtelty because the little touches are so pronounced and disconcerting. Lastly it doesn't help that all of the little touches with the possible exception of the rings are quite of the moment. This kid's fashionable, he's interesting, and has beautiful clothes (minus the shoes) but some restraint would catapult him from fashionable to elegant.

 

Blogger Kaila said ... (2:11 PM) : 

He's gorgeous. His outfit is fly. People who disagree obviously don't have any natural sense of style and simply gather their conformities from the stacks of glossies they scrutinize daily.

PS I would marry him and your photos are always lovely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:13 PM) : 

very Wes Anderson.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 AM) : 

Lovely. He's like a Lowry figure.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:23 PM) : 

Yes he is very much like a Lowry figure. It's the shoes and the aura of quiet desperation.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:39 PM) : 

your all jealous thats all hes hot i saw him that day and he looked fantastic mysterious and in person the pants looked less short maye its the boots

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting