This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

From The Sartorialist in March GQ

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, March 10, 2008

From The Sartorialist in March GQ


Don't forget that you can click on an image to see a larger version

Comments on "From The Sartorialist in March GQ"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 AM) : 

wow! how does he manage to pull it off? all those colors and patterns, striped, checked and flowers in the small pocket!
in awe.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (10:23 AM) : 

Just awesome, Sart. Now we're talking! I love the navy sport coat/blazer with peak lapels and ticket pocket, checked shirt, pocket square, and tomato red trousers. This is a great blend of colours. Note the repp tie and tie bar. I would not have thought a surcingle belt in aqua blue would have worked, but I think it does. What kind of shoes is this chap wearing? Excellent work.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:23 AM) : 

all over gorgeous, and very similar to my personal style (though i'd be lying if i said i consistently made it look this good). that pocket square/belt combo seals the deal for me; i didn't quite pick up HOW perfect it is from the shot in the magazine, but i mean, wow...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 AM) : 

That is one man who is NOT color blind. How does he pull it off?? Somehow all the textures and colors work and complement each other so well. I love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27 AM) : 

WOW, I really admire him for having the guts to wear all these colors and patterns together...don't think I could pull off such a look, but he looks good...is he Italian by any chance?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27 AM) : 

hubba hubba

 

Blogger Andrea Fam said ... (10:29 AM) : 

those are flowers in his breast pocket? was just about to ask what they were.

 

Blogger What? said ... (10:40 AM) : 

Everything is beautiful, but the rise is distressingly high. Take it down an inch and it would be better, I think. I would also add a little bit to the collar. Unless he's seriously playing subtly with proportion, it kind of gives him a bobblehead look. But overall, very well done. And handsome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 AM) : 

My apologies, but way too much color use for my taste... I think using some color is fine but this is over the top.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:48 AM) : 

YES.

This guy looks so clasy, and comfortable, and unconventional.

That belt kills me!

How would you, or anyone describe this particular look? I am from the Midwest, and some of these elements do end up on our most sartorial gents, and sometimes, ladies, too, but not all at once, such as with this guy.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (10:59 AM) : 

Love both the fit and the color mix here: excellent!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:01 AM) : 

I'm gonna have to go ahead and sort of...disagree with everone else here. I appreciate what he's trying for here, but 1) I am over spread collars, they're ridiculous, and even though he's thin enough to wear them his tie knot should be bigger, 2)I'm not feeling the tie against the shirt pattern, and the orange pants make him look clown like, like he fell out of a bad 70's sears catalog.

But yes the colors are spring like, which I am guessing is the the theme.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:05 AM) : 

It's amazing so much color can work together so well. I love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 AM) : 

I absolutely love this -- especially that amazing belt. Don't know about that particular pocket square, though. Doesn't it kind of look like a pair of women's underwear? Oh well, a spectacular show of style and taste overall.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

If the pants would have been dark green, I would be off my feet. Now I am stepping back and smiling. That belt is a good touch.

 

Blogger E.H.R said ... (11:23 AM) : 

Is everything he's wearing actually from Phineas Cole? I loved this looked when I first saw it in GQ, so I looked up Phineas Cole and the clothes on their website seem a lot more subdued

 

Blogger La Terpette said ... (11:28 AM) : 

This man is so sexy. Oh yea, and the clothes are nice too ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 AM) : 

I saw this look in GQ early last week look and fell in love with it. I immediately wore my twist on it to the office the next day and the compliments poured in. I felt so bold. The unexpected combinations of pattering and color... Sart, this is why I love you! Thanks for the inspiration.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

I believe this photo is from this months GQ...Paul Stuart's new "Bastard Son" "Phineas Cole".
This outlandish collage of color look must be trying to represent all the various visions of all the different designers that Paul Stuart went through in trying to launch this new label. I have to say...that check shirt looks too "wefty"...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

Striking.

For me; a little too color crazed: navy, teal, puprle, navy, (is that a dark green tie?). He's just on the verge of approaching the look of a Sunday color comic, but pulled it back with the navy blazer and tie. It's smart; flambo yet restrained.

 

Blogger problematic said ... (11:42 AM) : 

So handsome with that dapper hair. I love the tiny aqua edging to the pocket floral, matching the light aqua of this gentleman's belt. Delightful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 AM) : 

this man has got to be Italian- gorgeous! (

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 AM) : 

when did tie clips come back in? not feelin' it.

 

Blogger Diana said ... (11:57 AM) : 

This pic really starts up my fantasy. What kind of life this guy has? How long did it take to come up with this combination? Did he show the result to his partner?
What could the partner say? What did the collegues told him? etc etc
Unbelievable but great!!
Thanks for sharing with us!

 

Blogger BeautyMaverick said ... (12:10 PM) : 

I love the mix of colors and patterns in this look. Very charming.

PS: Congrats on the Observer (UK) ranking! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM) : 

The jacket looks custom - fitted, but not too snug. The sleeves look like they'd button.

I'd drop the tie an inch, but that's just because I was trained to believe tie and belt should always meet.

The fit of the pants is perfect. They look like something you could wear all day. I want to see the cuffs & shoes.

If they paired this with clown shoes, I'm done with them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 PM) : 

Wow that pants are such a turn-off.

 

Blogger I ♥ You said ... (12:20 PM) : 

Well, hello there! What a fabulous shot. Everything about it is perfection.

 

Blogger reverend dick said ... (12:28 PM) : 

Nope.

The collar looks to be squeezing his head off. Waist down is bad 80s Orlando. While I appreciate purple coupled with orange, this looks distasteful. The belt? No. No. No.

 

Blogger Emma Homestay Bandar Tasik Puteri said ... (12:30 PM) : 

ooh la la.. the colors are vivid! i like it.plus love the belt. i wanna have one of those! the pants are killing me too (in a good way of course). hats off to you Sart! this guy looks dashing and masculine despite all the colors

 

Blogger tintin said ... (12:33 PM) : 

I can't stand tie bars but God bless him. A rich look with great flair and balls. However, he's in NYC and you can do this without having your ass kicked. Try this in Charlotte, NC or St Louis or even Chicago (at the Cub's opener) and you could be courting trouble. In NYC this look is appreciated. It looks so effortless.

 

Blogger Tiny Jeni said ... (12:35 PM) : 

Two words: LOVE IT.

 

Blogger tintin said ... (1:00 PM) : 

BTW, this look reminds me of Jay Kos. I love to look in there and see what they do with color.

 

Blogger Mare said ... (1:10 PM) : 

i've been noticing that the look for men right now is to wear their pants and jackets a little too small. what's that all about? i wonder if we're reverting back to childhood for some reason - women stand pigeon-toed. men wear kids clothes.

 

Blogger OndrejS said ... (1:13 PM) : 

I am almost torn apart by this picture. It is so refreshing to see someone with a courage to wear those pants. And its stuff like this that makes men's fashion so much more interesting. I also love the coat and oh my, I can't stop looking at the flower patterned pocket square... It so brings the whole set to another level. On the other hand, to be honest, I think the "skewed stripes" tie is actually quite boring especially when set against so exciting garments...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:38 PM) : 

The color combinations here are absolutely outrageous. But very appealing. Great risks here. Well done!

 

Blogger Miss Cavendish said ... (1:42 PM) : 

I think this look would be cool if the tie were a little longer. The short tie doesn't match the vibe otherwise.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (1:54 PM) : 

Well, you can't fault his color sense, can you...

For me, everything appears a mite skimpy...or to put it another way, perhaps one needs a more waifish bod to make this look really work.

Also don't dig the collar, which really looks vestigial....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 PM) : 

AWESOME. great style, mood, and execution.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM) : 

spicy!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:05 PM) : 

Be still my heart - what a sensational look!

The only other person I know who wears looks like this is a French guy who is a pretty senior banker. You cannot believe the nerve required to wear rose pink trousers on a London trading floor.

Hooray for courage! Hooray for dressing differently!

 

Blogger Carey R. Piper said ... (2:25 PM) : 

The suit mullet! Business up top and party on the bottom. I just don't like the burnt orange with the rest of this outfit, but happy to see color, wonderful color.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:25 PM) : 

Where does one have to go to get pants like that?

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (2:37 PM) : 

I like everything here. Would have been great to have a handkerchief to match his trousers!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 PM) : 

Love at first sight...WOW!

 

Blogger EFEspitia said ... (3:01 PM) : 

I love when men use color and pull it off! I love the pant and belt combo!

 

Blogger Tara Goldman said ... (3:02 PM) : 

Wow...the colors in this outfit remind me of a painting from the Harlem renaissance, and for me that's why it works. Great nod to art.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

Diana, if the pic really starts up a fantasy about what kind of life he has, let me tell you, he's Barbie's boyfriend Ken.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 PM) : 

Great example of having so much going on (colors, patterns), that you don't know where to look--but look everywhere! It's all so sharp. I particularly usually hate cut-away collars, but he makes it look great. In a more casual outfit too. Excellent.

-rdhd

 

Blogger Karmander said ... (3:22 PM) : 

I am so conflicted about this one. I see that the pocket square addresses all the colors and at first glance and if I don't think too much about it, it's fabulous. But I'm wondering if the purple shirt and navy jacket blend TOO well. They match so elegantly. I love the pocket square and the belt with the whole upper half of the outfit and even with the pants. Then you throw in those GORGEOUS pants. Stunning fit, bold color...they just don't connect with the look on top except in the vaguest terms. It matches his skin tone and the bits of orangy color in the pocket square. But it still looks jarringly disjointed. But the whole still looks brilliant. I love it, but I have to go through this 5 minute mental process of back and forths to come to to that conclusion. Headache.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:24 PM) : 

Again. Belt and pocket sq. sold the outfit. The most important of all is the confidence that he carries so well. Best man's outfit I've seen for the past few months. Good to see someone who isn't so attached to black or brown, or jeans. How refreshing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:36 PM) : 

If this photo were black-and-white you would perhaps first notice the cut of the jacket, then maybe the length of the tie, the fit of the trousers, the proportions, and so on. Even the "right" amount of sleeve that is showing. Attention to every detail. The point is, this is a very thoughtful and disciplined presentation, although the use of colours may suggest otherwise.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:46 PM) : 

Definitely a stylish Ken! I just love the fact that the pants are so unexpected. For those who don't love the look, you got to give him kudos at least for going there. So true tho tintin that this look definitely couldn't be pulled off in other locations...

 

Blogger Jonathan Gluck said ... (4:24 PM) : 

I like everything here but the belt. I think after the pants, adding a new color with the pants draws attention away from the pants. I love the color though.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:27 PM) : 

I want to see the shoes please

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:42 PM) : 

OH, he is gorgeous. Let me just get that out of the way. Yum, yum, yum.

Anywho, these are colors I would never even think to put together but they go so well.Who knew that someone could pull off orange pants and a navy jacket and the lavender checkered shirt and striped tie? Who knew, hmm?

 

Blogger trinity0207 said ... (4:43 PM) : 

Beautiful colors and nice pattern coordination. Not a fan of the shrinkage of the tie, jacket and pants. Hopefully not a trend for most men's clothes...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:49 PM) : 

Overall I like this look. I could do without the belt but I wont hold it against him. This pic reminds me of my favorite outfit I think Scott has ever shot. It was a window shot of the Kiton store with a similar color arrangement; reddish pants, navy blazer, etc...

Well done.
Peter

 

Blogger Vax Libertarian said ... (4:52 PM) : 

This is the best I have seen in a long time. Another guy might look like a clown with all that color and pattern going on, but he just looks like a stud. The belt is the coup de grace; I wouldn't even feel bad if he stole my girlfriend.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 PM) : 

I cant believe you can just find style like this by walking around in new york. That outfit is so amazing... its hard to believe you just saw this dude around and asked to take his picture...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:02 PM) : 

Whoah! What a splash of colour! I like the jacket/shirt/tie vs. the trousers combo, but the belt bothers me - kind of makes him look split in half. Maybe the blue in it - I don't know.
But great overall effect! ~ Kate

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:03 PM) : 

i love how he made the pants look more orange-y by pairing them with a yellow belt. but i think the greatest thing about this look is that he wore something that is completely natural to him (or certainly looks so) when for someone else it would have been a huge deal and a real risk. i just love when people can wear whatever they feel fun yet sexy in because chances are if they feel it, they look it.

well done!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:07 PM) : 

I like everything about it. The colors are brilliant!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:23 PM) : 

the colors are so joyful! i have a sudden urge to buy orange pants now. this is truly a delight on the eyes.

 

Blogger Anne Corrons said ... (5:29 PM) : 

Everyone can't wear orange pants! This man looks fabulous with these 2 colors!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:33 PM) : 

This works, but looks far too put together. Matching the pocket square to the belt? Too much, for me, even though the choice of colors is admirable.

 

Blogger ms. swifty said ... (5:36 PM) : 

you're killing me, Sartorialist! an outfit like this & you cut of the shoes?

i'd love to see everything - top to tips. more photo por favor?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:44 PM) : 

I love the clothes and the face.

 

Blogger suzannemarques said ... (5:55 PM) : 

dios mio!
he is adorable in his colorful and beautiful outfit... and it's certainly not wearing him.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:25 PM) : 

For me, the belt is the cherry on top. It pulls it all together. Gorgeous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:27 PM) : 

I'm sorry for negative, but this getting silly. I've said it before, Sart. You could post a photo of a tin can here and people would gush over it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:35 PM) : 

Oh wow. Phenomenal. I love the colours and the pocket square. I think the belt is my favourite part though.

And he's pretty easy on the eyes to boot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:36 PM) : 

gahhhhh

soooo perfect..
..!!

I can't wait to have the money to be able to emulate this.

a masterspiece, truly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:41 PM) : 

that's it!.. I'm definitely going to purchase orange trousers or reds (be them nantucket, breton, or some other shade) or some sort of wonderful colored trousers. This post has confirmed a lingering desire of late.

It works. I think the only things that would keep me from this entire look is the belt of that color and the collar.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 PM) : 

this has ralph lauren prep-to-the-max written all over it.

LOVE IT even if its a walking cliche

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:28 PM) : 

East Coast Preppy! love it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:33 PM) : 

I especially appreciate the non horizontal tie clip, but i would have a larger knot on the tie given the collar..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:04 PM) : 

Rainbow or what!! I'd love to see his shoes, to see if he can pull of the whole thing or just from the knees up.

Oh, and the blue blazer provided enough balance to make this great, and not a circus outfit!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:17 PM) : 

although i enjoy a man who's willing to add color to his outfit, i can't say that i would be attracted to this guy (not that he wants me to be..)'s oufit.

 

Blogger Trevor Keyler said ... (8:45 PM) : 

love the belt

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 PM) : 

Love the color - mostly (especially up top, the "business" part of his fashion mullet) - but the belt/highwaisted orange pants combo puts it too much over the top for my taste. Guy is adorable though!

It sure would be fun to see this one in black and white. That way it would be easier to focus on the proportions which I've gotta echo what was said earlier, seem like an attempt to revert to childhood (or bobbleheadism?). All he needs is a beanie and a big lollipop to complete the look.

Again though, I think he is adorable, and capable of so much more. It's a shame that with a face like his, most people (in my opinion) will notice the face last. I just covered up his clothes and he goes instantly from bobblehead to Adonis.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 PM) : 

Stuff the J. Crew stylists can only dream of.

 

Blogger Keiler said ... (9:31 PM) : 

This is my favorite one so far! I don't think it would work on someone less handsome and fit though. When unattractive people wear such unconventional combinations they usually come across as eccentric. He still looks like a pretty normal guy.

 

Blogger Eni + Anu said ... (9:48 PM) : 

Wowwy Wow!!!

 

Blogger Charles said ... (9:51 PM) : 

The total look works. One problem though, if he spent an hour in the weight room (on the bench), showered, then put the little jacket back on it would probably rip up the back.

Other than that I really enjoyed seeing this photo!

 

Blogger Scent Hive said ... (9:54 PM) : 

Everything seems a little too... ahem, tight, on this guy. I wonder how Martin from below would pull off this look.

 

Blogger Dill Pickles said ... (9:59 PM) : 

I guess I'm in the minority here, but to me he looks like he couldn't decide whether to be a broker in NYC or a trendy golfer in Miami. Love the top, love the bottom (especially the belt!), but the combination is too severe for my taste. I think it's the coat; just too conservative for those pants.

 

Blogger Ischia Ragazzo said ... (10:19 PM) : 

Loving everything but the belt. Not only do I think that there is just a bit too much colour, (and unrelated colour at that) but I think that belt lloks a bit 'cheap' Overall though, definitely and 'A' for effort.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 PM) : 

wow!!! wow!!! wow!!!!...and BIG WOW!!!!

Kool...I luv all those color and patterns combine into one...

He really can pull it out...
Kudos to him...

And Thkz to u too Sart..
For showing us a gREAT caption..

Wiiee
adil sg

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 PM) : 

This is one of the best outfits that I have seen on this site. I am not just being biast because my personal style reflects this mans in way it fits and the cut of his coat the hug of the pants the fit of the shirt the size if the tie his collar and even the amount of cuff being shown. Men in New York dont dress like this unfortunatly. There is too much baggyness and room going on in "americans" way of dressing. Anyhow this guy gets an A+ from me.

 

Blogger Odessa said ... (10:50 PM) : 

long time lurker here.

this is absolutely perfection. love, love, love the belt!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 PM) : 

I am so curious to see what kind of shoes he is able to match with all the colours (which are fabulous).

 

Blogger Petrune said ... (11:21 PM) : 

You have the best blog ever. I come here for inspiration all the time. Those of us far away from the fashion captials of the world really appreciate your shrp eye. This guy really put together an interesting combination- who would think that purple and orange would work. It helps that he is extremely handsome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 PM) : 

it's Fez from That 70's show, all grown up and happenin' in NYC!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:55 PM) : 

Love the short tie...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:59 PM) : 

this is just perfect...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 AM) : 

Gotta say that I find this to be a bit like a "where's Waldo" picture. There's just one thing that's not quite right here. Maybe it's the tie clip, maybe it's the tie length, maybe it's the spread collar; maybe keep the former and remove the belt. For me he's simply gone one step too far and has thereby stepped into fast food uniform territory. Sorry. A hottie though.

 

Blogger Yvonne-Marie Wontons said ... (12:12 AM) : 

Proof-positive that colour matching is a deliberative process that takes skill and talent... this gentleman is very aware of his wardrobe and how much mileage he can get out of every bright piece. Bravo, this is genius.

(This is genius especially since he made an autumn colour like the rust in his pants look equally at home with his spring gingham and his summer belt.)

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (2:34 AM) : 

I love how the pocket square pulls everything together. The orange and the blue, especially. I think it's fotunate that he found it, because without it it would've looked like two different outfits.

 

Blogger Dusty said ... (3:03 AM) : 

I adore all the wonderful color! Sadly, I am not fond of these short and tightly cut jackets this season. I see them everywhere and they look a little Stan Laurelish to me.

Hurrah to him who can wear orange pants with pizazz...

 

Blogger UESman said ... (3:15 AM) : 

YES.



(I would have gone a tad less on the dimple size, though)


but,still, YES.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 AM) : 

As always, everbody here finds it amazing, awsome, great..etc. Does noone here see he is wearing orange pants to a blue/purple upper half?? And what about this belt, it screams "let me go back to the 80s, plz!". Nice try though, but too colorful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:16 AM) : 

The orange and purple together -- such panache! And the daring fit of his trousers remind me of another very handsome gentleman in a suit from not too long ago. Hot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:15 AM) : 

he is fly definately! for some odd reason seems like his pant would be high waters Iwant to see the shoes!

It reminds me of a drop dead fred look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 AM) : 

how the purple shirt picks up the purple tone in the jacket!
and the little poke of purple from the right hand sleeve!!
love it!

 

Blogger Vistiendo a Candela said ... (6:11 AM) : 

yes, yes and yes

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:40 AM) : 

Simply daring. I wish more men would lose their fear of colors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:21 AM) : 

Looks like a Polo-roid to me. Not original in the least.

 

Blogger henrik said ... (8:48 AM) : 

Uuh, stylish as ****! Really love the orange and the matching of colors.

 

Blogger amarygma said ... (10:06 AM) : 

I'm sorry but I think Crayola retired the orange-red crayon for a reason. Even children couldn't make that color work.

He's a handsome man, yes, and I don't mind the top half (minus the aqua accents)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Wow - it looks like a spectacular sunset!

Have someone noticed the color of the trousers goes so well with the guy's complexion? Just wondering, maybe this is one of the keys...

 

Blogger CDB said ... (10:35 AM) : 

Looks awesome, but lowering the rise and dropping the end of the tie just a bit would really perfect the look. As is, it looks like he has a mini torso that just doesn't match up with the rest of his body.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 AM) : 

una bella figura for certain and thankfully a very common sight in Italy.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:38 AM) : 

omg,the sartorialist is listed the 20th on the world's 50 most powerful blogs by guardian.co.uk, congratulations, keep up your work, I enjoy reading your blog a lot!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:57 AM) : 

incredibly impressive. but i can't help but wonder...

what kind of socks, if any, does he have on?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:23 PM) : 

Thank you for not showing us his probably bright yellow socks with turquise shoes. I do admire his courage though. And he is cute.

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (1:00 PM) : 

gives me chills ..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

cojones with flair

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

I love how he pulled it off without looking clown-ish :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:13 PM) : 

BRILLIANT!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:22 PM) : 

do men like this REALLY exist? i can't believe he just got up in the morning and decided to dress like this. i mean, is this just a random guy you spotted on the street? i find that hard to believe, but if it's true, i really would to find out who this guy is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:59 PM) : 

oh my. such opposing patterns/colours working so harmoniously together. this is sort of paradoxical. kudos to you sart, for picking this man out. this is individuality at its best (apart from agyness deyn. maybe these two should meet)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

It's always in the details. This is a beautiful outfit, carefully, yet effortlessly tied together. The stitching above the pocket relates to the belt. The pants are the boldest to my eye, the the top part of the outfit seems like something to be worn with a classic chino pant. HOWEVER this terracotta color is fantastic and with the blend of pattern and color in the completed outfit it acts as a neutral or a base. The blues are marvelous. the bright blue in the tie connects with the blue on the belt and the jackets embroidery, even though its not the same shade it allows for the eye to connect the vaiety. The checkered shirt becomes a smooth back splash for the tie and the colors in the pants and belt. I gotta say i love the tie clip, how its positioned; it doest blend with the striping, but its still subtle. GREAT GREAT GREAT.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:16 PM) : 

The more conservative the pieces, the further you can go with color before reaching the "top", let alone going over it. Looks great - not for presenting your summation to the jury, of course, but in an ad agency, architects office, etc., super.

At various times in my working life I've been a tie=bar man, and it's almost purely a functional preference - if you find yourself bending over your work a lot, and that work includes inks, paint, edibles (think designer, architect, restaurateur) a tie bar will save your beautiful ties from nasty fates. At the same time, the bar can help bump up the knot a bit. And let's be clear - a clip is not a "tack" or pin, those vicious things that also wreak havoc with a cravat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:17 PM) : 

ummm...brave, very brave

 

Blogger Juan Manuel Trejo Sánchez said ... (3:29 PM) : 

That belt... I feel like he bought it and created a look to go with it ^^

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:49 PM) : 

If readers criticize things, it would be interesting to read what they would have done differently. For example, what kind of belt would be better? If the purple and orange aren't working for you, how would you have approached jazzing up the pant choice? The comment sections here would be more consistently rewarding to read if they made a bit more effort this way. My .02.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:07 PM) : 

The colors are spectacular but the tie looks a little stumpy and I am distracted by the fit of the crotch of his pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:22 PM) : 

I wonder how this would look on Martin from Men's Clothing!

 

Blogger Katherine said ... (4:51 PM) : 

All the colors, the patterns, and a pocket square. I have to say, I love this guy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:58 PM) : 

He is wearing a dull tie with a too small tie knot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

This outfit is, to borrow a phrase from the girls at GFY, a scroll down statement! The Navy/plum blazer with the purple gingham and green/purple/navy tie is a little wild for the office but still rather tame. Then, wow, orange pants. We go from business on top to funky on the bottom and the whole mix lets us know this man has a not so subtle joie de vivre!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:24 PM) : 

I have know idea how this works but it just does. The contrast!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:31 PM) : 

I LOVE that his belt matches his pocket squares aqua overlock stitching on the edges. Even the belts leather buckle part works with the colour swirls in the it! The look is perfect, but one probably has to be quite self confident to pull it off!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:32 PM) : 

that is in my opinion sartorial perfection (in regards to use of color & fit, oh and the cut of the shirt a cut-away collar suits him to a tea)

great use of color, is it just me or are they bonobos pants (the brand) they look identical if not very similar

Phil
Sydney, Aus

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:12 PM) : 

This is way over the top. It's all obviously high quality and cut well, with the exception that there seems to be a problem around the coat's neck. He clearly has an eye for these things, but there's a reason that conservatism has traditionally been the rule in men's dress, especially in the city. All these colors look so out of place against the the austerity and greyness of the city background. Maybe by the beach this would be okay, and each of the things he's wearing alone, in an otherwise conservative outfit, maybe. But like this he looks like a clown.

 

Blogger LallaLydia said ... (7:17 PM) : 

Another important element to this man's stylish ensemble is his inherent panache and expression of relaxed elegance. You can't buy that anywhere.

He reminds me of a modern-day, mediterranean Cary Grant.

 

Blogger Hesh said ... (7:22 PM) : 

one word: exquisite

 

Blogger biglakestyle said ... (8:27 PM) : 

Generally speaking, pretty fabulous. I do agree on the short tie length and am puzzled that he added a tie bar to what appears to be a very unbusinesslike outfit. This pic raises for me the critical question every well dressed gentleman should consider each time he puts something on; that is, at what point is too much color matching just that..too much. At a minimum you run the risk of looking "over-produced" or "foppish"; for some men you run the risk of looking like either your mother or wife dressed you. I can picture those overbearing women with a jacket tossed over their arm marching about a men's store with matching tie and shirts combinations being ruthlessly assembled. I think this gentleman stopped just sort of being dangerously overmatched, and the result is quite striking.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 PM) : 

Manolo dashing color again, he is what he is, a balance sequence of color.

great eye sart

Nicole

 

Blogger angel said ... (9:52 PM) : 

yum!!! i love a stylish man...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 PM) : 

No! Men like this do not exsist!
He is a Salesman in the Tie Department at Paul Stuart....They are showcasing items from their new line.I'm sure that Nieman/Grodd hand dressed him like a Ken Doll and Paul Stuart Advertisement Dept. scheduled an appointment with the Sartorialist!
This was set up!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 PM) : 

Love it! very stylish and sexy! I'm sure my dad has this exact outfit except I don't think he made it look this good :) (well maybe in his prime :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 PM) : 

Love the top, but the orange definitely does not go. Great ideas, though.

 

Blogger Ann (MobayDP) said ... (11:40 PM) : 

*sigh*

:-b

 

Blogger Tatiana Romanova Surya said ... (12:50 AM) : 

love the patterns and the colors (especially the touch of cyan on the belt, when it meets the orange) :)

 

Blogger Kat Walks said ... (6:04 AM) : 

he looks like a journalist from the 70's. absolutely deliscious.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:35 AM) : 

WHAT A MAN!!!!

 

Blogger D said ... (9:42 AM) : 

so moondoggy...

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (1:25 PM) : 

I've said this before but this time I really mean it...this is my all-time favourite!...for so many reasons.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

Scott, just want to clear up one thing: as seen in GQ, this is an entire look from the new Paul Smith line - so is it a model, an employee, or did you happen upon someone wearing the complete package? Since it looks like you're down on 5th Av, maybe someone from the PS staff. (Haven't been in in awhile.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:10 PM) : 

Anyone rocking that color of pants should be shot. Whatever happened to sobriety in fashion?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:59 PM) : 

love the patterns! Not many men can pull this oufit off! I love the orange colour.

 

Blogger Keystofer said ... (8:48 PM) : 

one word... "WOW!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 PM) : 

He's so gorgeous he pulls it off but I think everything fits too snug.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:37 PM) : 

for tomassocroccante

This gentleman works at Paul Stuart in the PCole area. these are his real clothes and apparently how he usually dresses.

i had been reading the comments and had ro relook at the outfit - i dont think it looks so crazy colorful. yes it has color but it is a lot less loud than most guys wearing sports jerseys or track suits

 

Blogger v said ... (12:06 AM) : 

stunning photo, i love everything about this one :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 AM) : 

"these are his real clothes and apparently how he usually dresses."

I think it's a terrific color combo - Yellow is the complement of violet, and orange that of blue. (Orange/purple and blue/yellow are near complements and also exciting visually.)

Paul Smith would not be a place to wear Prada black or Armani gray if you're trying to represent the store aesthetic - and he looks great in this.

 

Blogger James D. Cormier said ... (1:39 AM) : 

Is the tie bar made to sit at that angle, or is that just his own rakish little touch? I can't tell, even from the larger photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 AM) : 

very milanese boggi like

 

Blogger a side order of style said ... (10:53 PM) : 

clicked on the image to see a larger version. Totally left in awe. He is perfection. This picture IS PERFECTION. I love the color coordination, but then again who doesn't?! yes I'm just stating the obvious. Great stuff...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:14 AM) : 

Wow!
I am always so scared of wearing any color because I worry I'll look like a clown.
This guy somehow wears 10+ colors, and as many patterns and textures and it all works.
Amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:11 AM) : 

Only Italian guys can pull this off. Really great look; but American men just don't get the complexity and colors. Also loves the rep tie and width. Who says 'skinny' ties are in?

 

Blogger Peter Mc Cut said ... (1:26 PM) : 

wow... the combination of colours is great!... really stylish!

cheers, wonderful blog... I'm a fan of you!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:14 PM) : 

Rushing Spring?

For me it is too much but I am very conservative with color.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

Love the tie/shirt/jacket. Beautiful. But the pants ruin the outfit. Also, the hankercheif is beautiful.

 

Blogger OTC said ... (1:33 PM) : 

The trousers are a little on the high-rise side for my taste, but overall a killer outfit. Spring is here - at least for him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 AM) : 

Overall it's brave, different, and I like it. The belt is the killer piece which takes the blue-y-purple blazer/shirt down to a lighter blue, and the red-y-orange trousers up to a lighter orange - thus bringing two otherwise clashing colours into harmony! My only minor niggles are the cut-a-way collar - his neck sits slightly awkwardly - and the sloppy tie clip positioning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:01 PM) : 

Cool but lonely, hidden behind the shallow depth of taste, so identified with time and culture, like so many beautifull things a momentainous waste.

Disillusion Romance.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:55 AM) : 

Absolutely love it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:48 PM) : 

Excellent, very daring! A well-dressed man always makes my day.

 

Blogger Janets Planet said ... (6:03 PM) : 

Oh those pants are a great color! I love it with the purple and the touch of aqua.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:25 PM) : 

At first glance, this outfit seems nearly flawless; I don't care about what anyone else says, I LOVE the tie clip, and if I'm not mistaken, his tie knot is a full windsor so it pairs perfectly with the cut away colar.
However, after I looked at this photo some more, I noticed that something was off:
The green in the tie is perfect for the shirt and jacket, but way too dark for the belt and pants. I feel like I'm looking at two different looks here, one on top and one on the bottom. If the tie had incorporated some of the light blue from the belt instead of the green I think the look would be more balanced.

Still, I am very glad that the 'black/ grey with one jewel tone piece' colour scheme is over. Bright colours paired with each other is so much more interesting!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

Well I think this is over the top, i like mixing colors, etc but the red paints, i don't know. It is interesting the fact the from the waist down he totally another man, but I don't think this look works, at least not for me. One more thing, the paints could have a lower waist, not like a cowboy paints but at least a little lower.

 

Blogger Tom said ... (9:24 PM) : 

What an artistic combination of colors. The positioning of the tie clip is jaunty, echoing the jaunty colors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:02 AM) : 

the man is good looking - he can always pull it off

 

Blogger PhilM said ... (11:28 AM) : 

the jacket, so beautiful! i would really like to know who makes it. is it really paul stuart? scott, do you know?

 

Blogger UESman said ... (11:21 PM) : 

Looking back, I find myself wanting to criticize this outfit, but really I find no major fault.

I do think, however that if one is going to add a splash of color, it should not be in every discreet place (the accessories). Personally, I prefer to choose one main article to be colorful and one main accessory to be colorful. That brings the viewer's eye around the entire outfit. Otherwise the viewer is lost in a sea of bold things which may result in a color seizure.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 PM) : 

POW! how do you find all of these dashing men?! i must be in dreamland when they walk by!

 

Blogger nidyawiguno said ... (5:45 AM) : 

great color combination!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting