This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Slightly Plaid, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, February 15, 2008

On the Street....Slightly Plaid, NYC

Comments on "On the Street....Slightly Plaid, NYC"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:29 AM) : 

What a lovely tartan,especially paired with carmel colored leather.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 AM) : 

luuv her jacket!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 AM) : 

I recognize her - isn't she Sang-A, the handbag designer from Korea? She used to be a TV actress over there...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:49 AM) : 

I love this look. The proportions are just right- slim on top to balance the volume on the bottom, the shoes are great, the bag works... Even her haircut adds to the overall picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 AM) : 

Now would be a great time to have that shopping guide so I knew where to get that jacket! The rest of it really works too...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:54 AM) : 

nice combo. and however much she paid for that jacket, it was worth it.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:01 AM) : 

Great smile and appealing style plus the photo captures the energy of Manhattan.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 AM) : 

wow-!!
Sang A

she is famous bag designer-!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:29 AM) : 

wow! truly one of my favorites, for way too many reasons.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

that is one sweet jacket!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

love the leather jacket, and the mixed texture on the shoes

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 AM) : 

VAVOOM! I LOVE this look! It's so bold. Anyone know where this lovely jacket is from? I love the ensemble. Thanks Sart!

 

Blogger laia. said ... (10:36 AM) : 

I love her! It sort of doesn't match yet it looks perfect. Her shoes are great. The smile brings everything together, for sure.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 AM) : 

I love the shoes... and the jacket. and the bag. While I don't think I can pull it off, she certainly can.

 

Blogger skoraq cooks said ... (10:37 AM) : 

Hi Scott!
I have started visiting your blog late summer last year. I have watched all your photos from the very beginning and I think you're really amazing.You really got the eye. And this photo is amazing as well. Beautiful checked skirt. Its colours are complimented by those yellow cabs from far behind. Not to mention leather jacket. It looks so well on her.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:38 AM) : 

loving the jacket and shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 AM) : 

super cute

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (10:52 AM) : 

Love everything here!!!

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (11:03 AM) : 

I like the skirt.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 AM) : 

i agree with whomever above said a shopping guide would be nice- cause i covet that jacket!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 AM) : 

she used to be a singer and a actress in Korea. I remember her famous song 'Musical'

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 AM) : 

I would love too see the rest of the plaid suit that I see peeking out. I like her shoes very much.

Face it. The tiny jacket doesn't go with the rest of her outfit. Her outerwear has got to cover what's underneath or she should put her plaid coat in her bag.

 

Blogger Kara said ... (11:42 AM) : 

Is it a skirt? Or are they big, plaid, sultan-esque pants? Whichever, I'm digging the look.

I completely disagree with "anonymous 11:31 AM" - I think her shoes make it obvious that the jacket is part of the ensemble and it balances out the proportions.

From the small view of the photo, I thought she had short hair, but up close, it looks like a loose, long ponytail. I might have like the short look a little better.

Awesome!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:56 AM) : 

Yeah, she's Sang-A. Ex-singer in Korea and now a handbag designer in the NYC. I just love her bag (the one she's carrying the pic).

 

Blogger E. Jones said ... (12:21 PM) : 

That jacket! I want it...

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (12:25 PM) : 

Glorious brown biker jacket! What a great combination.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

She is SANG-A! actress/singer but most known lately for her fabulous alligator bag designs! love the jacket and skirt combo. but i always thought she has a gorgeous smile.

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (12:38 PM) : 

her whole ensemble is gorgeous .. although the bag seems a bit too bulky to me. but that jacket -- my, my, it's incredible.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:00 PM) : 

oh, great, this season's PLAID trend.
debuting on a runway near you.
yawn.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:04 PM) : 

The shoes are Westwood and from Edon Manor, in Tribeca.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 PM) : 

love the jacket, but looks a little too small in proportion with the gauchos

 

Blogger Lee S. said ... (1:09 PM) : 

Great look! Does anybody know who makes the shoes?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 PM) : 

I respectfully disagree! it is ok to wear short over long. It's a great layering look.

 

Blogger Hard Luck Hero said ... (2:08 PM) : 

You have to tell us where that jacket is from!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:11 PM) : 

That jacket is amazing and coming in a close second is that skirt/pant? I love it, all of it.

 

Blogger Mare said ... (2:22 PM) : 

that might be the coolest jacket i've ever seen.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (2:24 PM) : 

I'm looking at the jacket and shoes more than the skirt (interesting as it is).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:26 PM) : 

The lady does great credit to the concept of mixing avant garde fashion elements (the Vivienne Westwood or Westwood-inspired tartan culottes and platform oxfords) with modern classic pieces (motorcycle jacket and crocodile bag). It's nice to see someone juxtaposing styles and looking chic and pretty rather than just weird and disjointed, as is more often the case.

 

Blogger fraise said ... (2:31 PM) : 

What synchronicity! I have essentially identical shoes and just today was pondering whether they'd look good with a skirt and tights. (Although on closer look, it looks more like she's wearing loose-fitting cropped pants?)

I love the asymmetry of her jacket and the leather it's made of.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:42 PM) : 

Is the skirt/pants Vivienne Westwood?
Like many here, I'm also loving the jacket. It's the perfect proportion for what she's wearing below.
And that bag!

 

Blogger S. said ... (2:46 PM) : 

Is it really that snow-free in NYC? I feel like crying (I am crying). I haven't been able to wear anything but a rotating selection of sweaters, jeans and (somewhat) sensible boots for ages now!

 

Blogger tintin said ... (2:46 PM) : 

You caught a great smile, Schu. As a photographer who grew up in darkrooms with fixer and stop bath...I hate you. But it's only sour grapes. I'm not keen on the mix match of tartan and motorcycle jacket but she is so cute that I could care less. BTW, I love Kim Chi.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 PM) : 

Boy do I just plain love your blog, sir.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:12 PM) : 

Nice mix and matching...also like the taxicabs behind as a component of the picture

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:22 PM) : 

Re the comment above, I couldn't disagree more. This is just so much FUN. As her beautiful smile shows. Lighten up!

 

Blogger wmc said ... (3:57 PM) : 

Anybody know what brand shoes she's wearing? I want!

 

Blogger me said ... (4:43 PM) : 

I love the leather with the plaid. For me, being from the Midwest near Chicago, it's all about taking inspiration from what I see around the world and putting my own casual spin on it. Usually with lower-end items within my budget.

 

Blogger ricpic said ... (5:15 PM) : 

I don't know why but the slant zipper feature always seems to give a jacket a complimentary cut. I had a favorite ski jacket with that feature for years that turned me into an athlete when I zipped it up. Wish there were more of them around.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:26 PM) : 

Nice MJ Thriller like jacket! Just in time for the new 25 year release party :)

 

Blogger dean said ... (5:51 PM) : 

I'll take the shoes and jacket any day; but the pairing of the tartan fabric with the beautiful, worn leather -- loose vs. tight; clean vs. sac-like -- I think truly detracts from the fabulousness of the leather vibe. It is odd though, it is that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:14 PM) : 

Hey mate, nice tartan, that's sort of Mcneil of Barra... love it.

 

Blogger J said ... (6:19 PM) : 

i was wondering when you'll get at her.
she really has great taste and her clutches are to die for.
she was also featured in vogue awhile back.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:31 PM) : 

love love love!!!

i always avoid shoes in that particular color simply because i never know what to pair them with- thanks for the inspiration!! now to find a jacket similar.....

 

Blogger s.212 said ... (6:34 PM) : 

I love the zipper on that jacket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:16 PM) : 

I was in NY last week, was keeping an eye out for you. How are you always able to get people to pose in the middle of the street without them getting run over? :-) Thank you for sharing your pics & your creativity.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (7:27 PM) : 

I'm feeling a bit under the weather today, so I have decided to submit my comment in verse form:

Plaid makes me glad, and of tartan I'm a fan.
This lady's smile is as bright as, her jacket is tan.
From plaid skirt to leather jacket, this lady oozes style.
But I especially love her handbag, in black crocodile.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:24 PM) : 

lovely, but i'm not sure that there's anything slight about a calf-lenth skirt. definitely just plaid. i kind of like the IDEA of slightly plaid, though. what exactly would that look like..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 PM) : 

nope. shoes are clunky, bag is stupidly large, jacket is---no wait it's not the jacket, it's the skirt! I hate the skirt. I want black, skin tight jeans or leather. Then all the rest works. Otherwise, it is strictly thrift store. I don't care who she is.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:49 PM) : 

I love the play between the normal colors and the playful cuts and proportions. Definitely the smile does a lot...you don't see that many thrilled people in manhattan.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 PM) : 

I like it when things slightly unsettle me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:58 AM) : 

Blake Lively wore that jacket on Gossip Girl, didn't she?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 AM) : 

Oh my gosh! I saw almost the same skirt on ebay. I must go purchase it now,

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:35 AM) : 

I love the color of the jacket. Such a nice twist on the classic black leather motorcycle jacket.

 

Blogger Post-it boy said ... (5:46 AM) : 

inward pointing feet. But, love the look, very zippy.

 

Blogger c.c. said ... (9:33 AM) : 

I love the jacket and bag, they are so cute, and the skirt is so unexpected.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

Yes, She used be a singer in Korea, Now She designs shoes and bags and owns her shop in Mahattan..

I just like all of her look, perfect!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:15 AM) : 

lovely Pauric Sweeney bag!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:24 PM) : 

yeah... her name is Lim sang ah. she is a Korean actress. I like her!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:50 PM) : 

hah! i thought i recognized her! Yes, she used to be a famous singer and actress in Korea... didn't know that she lives in NY

 

Blogger U said ... (3:16 PM) : 

Absolutely fabulous! Love everything about this look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 PM) : 

i know that i could never get away with wearing a suit like that but she wears it so well and looks great! i absolutly adore her jacket. it goes nicely with her shoes and the black bag breaks up the brown and coordinates well with her the plaid. another great shot!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:10 PM) : 

Great attitude! That jacket emphasizes her waist nicely, and the plaid top peaking out at the hips adds fullness to the waste, but it is sweetly odd, at the same time. This is truly an individualistic look that harkens back to the '70s. The handbag (YSL?) is the bomb. The only troubling thing for me is the hoisery - perhaps a tan colour? I don't know, though.

 

Blogger Dianna said ... (4:57 PM) : 

love the camel leather combined with the plaid skirt. really great all around.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:07 PM) : 

wow. she looks great. someone must know who that jacket is!?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 PM) : 

Beatiful! I love that plaid.

Sarto, I miss seeing older women on this blog. Old men wearing suits are common on this blog, but older women are very rare. I know there are very well-dressed older women out there. Speaking of which, does anybody know what a woman's equivalent of a classic men's suit is? What is truly classic for a woman to wear, regardless of age?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:55 PM) : 

The bag is ridiculously big, but I love everything about her outfit.
Forget those LV dog carriers, this one could hold a child!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:57 PM) : 

I love everything about this look. First, the woman's smile is drop dead gorgeous. Second the balance she strikes between the jacket and shoes and the pants and bag is just fantastic. Great eye!

greendressinDUBLIN

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 AM) : 

You know, for a bag designer, the bag is the only thing about this I don't like.

Amazing jacket.

For a second, I thought that was the official tartan of Nova Scotia. Pity.

 

Blogger DeepBlueSea said ... (3:53 AM) : 

So who's she channeling?

Napoleon?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:12 AM) : 

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (11:16 AM) : 

That Balenciaga jacket is so beautiful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

HER JACKET IS BALENCIAGA ^..^

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:33 PM) : 

I think I just shed a tear over that jacket. It is too perfect to comprehend. I don't care who she is, how nice her smile is, or anything else about her outfit. That jacket steals the show.

If it is Balenciaga afterall, I am certainly not surprised. Nicolas is a genius, and he never disappoints. He has a very special, cool touch, and that is reflected in this fab jacket.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:24 PM) : 

absolutely stunning girl but not feeling the outfit. a shorter skirt would've worked better.

 

Blogger Katrina said ... (7:58 PM) : 

wow she really pulls off that look. I bought a very similar part of plaid shorts (mine are actually culottes) the other day. Its summer over here so ive been wearing them with loose singlets but this photo has given me some great ideas for winter! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:08 PM) : 

This is so hot! This is one of my favorite looks I've seen on here in a while. The shoes are great. The pants are incredible! That jacket is so cool. I love the color, paired with the tartan. I would never have thought to pair those colors, but it looks SO good. She is a freakin genius.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:48 PM) : 

Oh, those shoes!!!
Where did she get them? They look like something i'd find at a thrift store, but they probably cost half my paycheck!

 

Blogger Jennifer said ... (7:19 PM) : 

Sart--those look like a slightly bigger, plaid take on Thai fisherman pants. Is that what we've got going on here? That wrap effect in the front looks awfully familiar.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:18 PM) : 

I saw this photo on style.com and loved it.
I saw a few more really great Sartorialist shots there, and I'd recommend to everyone to check them out.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:56 AM) : 

What a wonderful jacket !

 

Blogger lili said ... (2:35 PM) : 

fantastic outfit, love the shoes and jacket!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:11 PM) : 

Her look is bold and robust in the right places...the bag doesn't quite do it for me either...she looks fab anywayz! I saw a geat jacket that would compliment those pants on artfulwears.com...check it out!

 

Blogger VertigoVirgo said ... (10:07 AM) : 

I like this, she's cute and I like the proportions, the line and the juxtaposition...she ties it in neatly...but not too much. She gets an A. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:25 PM) : 

Sang A!
I love her.

 

Anonymous mj said ... (9:26 PM) : 

how fab she is! i like her so much~
great bag,too

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting