This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Grandpa's Cardigan, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, February 03, 2008

On the Street....Grandpa's Cardigan, Paris

Comments on "On the Street....Grandpa's Cardigan, Paris"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:44 AM) : 

wow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

What a joyful smile!!!


Sorry for your bad day and loss of your blackberry.

 

Blogger Suzan said ... (10:36 AM) : 

And he really works it! Think he looks very nicely artsy boho here. Especially with that scarf.
And the photo itself is quite amazing too, love the smile you captured!

 

Blogger reverend dick said ... (10:49 AM) : 

Love shawl collars. Love that it has been mended and is still in use.

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (10:57 AM) : 

I absolutely love everything in this shot, so simple, fresh, practical even careless, but so well done! The textures, the practical way he uses his pockets, the way the clothes fit, the scarf, gesture (was he singing?), the smile. (He reminds me a bit to the young Burt Lancaster...) And the white background to highlight everything. Great one Sart!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

Is it just me, or does he look like Kevin Federline?

 

Blogger Vintage and Stardust said ... (11:17 AM) : 

Oh!I just love his style.. he's just so charming - love his smile aswell:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 AM) : 

the most gorgeous man you have ever added to your blog.

LOVE him. love the stuff sticking out from his pockets, not as decoration, but because he knows pockets are functional.

no man purse, no prissy hair, no contrived scarf folding. would have loved to see the shoes though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

The main reason this guy looks so great is his face. His joy is irresistable. I love the details - this outfit would crash without them.

 

Blogger luckybastard said ... (12:33 PM) : 

amazing outfit. i love cardigans- especially the shawl-collared ones.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (12:52 PM) : 

He's no grandpa.

 

Blogger Jessie Leigh said ... (1:02 PM) : 

Holy smokes. That boy is beeeeeeeeeautiful. Not to mention the fact that the sweater, the hair, everything is perfect. Oh goodness.

 

Blogger Rob Moore said ... (1:27 PM) : 

I've been looking for the perfect shawl collar cardigan for a year now. Anybody know where to find it, please clue me in. That one there is great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 PM) : 

I want to drink wine and flirt and bat my eyes at this guy. Just lovely.

 

Blogger Zelmarific said ... (2:07 PM) : 

I just love it when men smile big enough to show their teeth! And, of course, it's a nice sweater...

 

Blogger suzannemarques said ... (2:45 PM) : 

gorgeous. i've been obsessed with finding the perfect oversized cardigan

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 PM) : 

This sweater is awesome.
I've been in search for one exactly like this, except a bit longer.
Can anyone tell me where to find it?!?
Heavy woven wool, patch pockets, high collar, robust buttons...
I love what he's wearing underneath it. The pockets stuffed with papers. Sleeves rolled up. Last two buttons undone.

Well played, monsieur.

M

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:27 PM) : 

So cute..I love a good looking man in a sweater!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:32 PM) : 

Another corkin' smiler – who cares what he's wearing?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:41 PM) : 

I absolutely adore cardigans on men.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:59 PM) : 

So beautiful

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:12 PM) : 

Yummy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 PM) : 

This makes me want a shawl collar cardigan even more than I already did, But as cool as this guy looks I'm afraid I would immediately enter 'grandpa' land if I were to try it. Oh well.

 

Blogger marya said ... (4:47 PM) : 

look at that smile!

 

Blogger Álvaro. said ... (4:52 PM) : 

I've got one like it, but it's beige colour.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:56 PM) : 

What a great cardigan on this man, and what a beautiful smile!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:15 PM) : 

this is a wonderful shot, not just because of his wonderful cardigan but also, in large part, due to the man's friendly nature. Also, having full grandpa pockets never hurts!

 

Blogger ilovesecondhandsmoke said ... (5:57 PM) : 

How effortless!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:21 PM) : 

Ever since cardigans came back into vogue, all you ever hear is that they should, nay must, be worn slim. This "oversized" sweater looks amazing on him and shows how bucking the trend is what makes a style icon.

 

Blogger Jael Paris said ... (7:04 PM) : 

That gleeful smile makes the picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 PM) : 

no way. this is just too much style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 PM) : 

grandpa never looked so good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 PM) : 

A perfect design if there ever was one.... And the joy in the face is another one of your wonderful moments captured in time!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:52 PM) : 

I'm so distracted by that smile! He'd look good in any grandpa ensemble.

 

Blogger Saffron said ... (10:01 PM) : 

Now this is a gorgeous man with a passion for life.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 PM) : 

There is a very similar one in Gap Woman line

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:35 PM) : 

I love shawl neck.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 PM) : 

he is... gorgeous!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 PM) : 

Yummy.

 

Blogger Anne W said ... (11:17 PM) : 

I love this...everything about it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 PM) : 

That's the cardi i've been looking for, perfect with a scarf underneath

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:04 AM) : 

So rare to see French people smiling. This guy looks great and genuinely happy. Great shot!

He looks Italian to me. Love it when they smile!

Felicia

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 AM) : 

Now this is a gorgeous piece of knitwear! Note the button on the shawl collar, the firm button band, and how the pockets don't seem too baggy despite obvious frequent wear.

I stole a similar cardigan from my father--midnight blue with fiber content noted as "alpacagora". (Mohair and alpaca?) My father got it in the early 60s. I last wore it in 1998. Moths got it--little devils!

 

Blogger displayname7 said ... (12:22 AM) : 

oh goodness.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 AM) : 

To everyone who is looking for the perfect shawl collar cardigan, i'd recommend looking into martin margiela. he released a gorgeous knitted shawl collar cardigan last fall. you might be able to find it online or on ebay..

~daniel d.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:54 AM) : 

i want to date a guy who dress like that :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 AM) : 

I actually still have my grandfather's cardigan. Unfortunately, it looks nothing like this...

 

Blogger アンディ said ... (2:03 AM) : 

I agree, his attitude is what makes the picture interesting.
You've shot him before (I think). Maybe he's in the industry.
And grats on Giants win, just got lucky last minute!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 AM) : 

I check this blog nearly every day and this is my favorite shot. the clothes are great, but the smile is what makes the picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 AM) : 

Utterly gorgeous. I LOVE shawl collars and I love them on men... why oh why aren't there more shawl collars in the world? I love the drape of the sweater, too. And the length keeps it from looking fusty. Beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:50 AM) : 

Beautiful and effortlessly stylish. He should model in fragrance adds or something to that effect.

However, I tend to find the bulk of people you shoot quite striking. The world is a beautiful, stylish place behind your lens, dear Sart. That's why I feel this compulsive need to view your blog every morning!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:15 AM) : 

It's really his smile that makes the outfit!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 AM) : 

Beat Boliger.
Great guy, great stylist

 

Blogger FSK said ... (11:08 AM) : 

va va va voom! he's so cute with that sweater and nice smile. I'll take one to GO!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 AM) : 

Wow...hot and beautiful, I'd love to have him for lunch and then wrap myself up in his sweater.

 

Blogger so said ... (11:49 AM) : 

i love grandpa cardigans!
this one is especially nice with the shawl collar.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 PM) : 

This is a fabulous shot. A nice counterpoint to many of the more grim, austere expressions we see. And that cardigan fits him well. I mean, how often does one come across a cardigan that's slimming? He looks wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:07 PM) : 

Wow - a picture to brighten anyone's day!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:49 PM) : 

great smile
great looking guy :)

 

Blogger Liam said ... (1:55 PM) : 

i'm always looking for a sweater like this in the thrift stores. when i find them they're always HUGE, and i've never known a way to effectively alter knit sweaters. someday i will find it...

 

Blogger Ammie said ... (2:00 PM) : 

What JOY!

I am showing this photo to my husband to get him back into cardigans. Just one little nitpick -- his sweater would look loads better with a little defuzzing. Makes a huge difference. Otherwise, this is beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:09 PM) : 

So genuine and unaffacted. I like to imagine that he smile like this easily and often.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 PM) : 

good look.
i think its hard to find a simple cardigan like that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:25 PM) : 

Kevin Federline look-a-like!

 

Blogger Em said ... (7:32 PM) : 

wow. that's a beautiful picture!!

it is so inspiring!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:56 PM) : 

I honestly don't see what's so "Grandpa" about these types of cardigans. I wear them all the time and get "fresh" compliments and I'm only 18. People say grandpa and Mr Rogers but I think they're awesome. Lay off the old people please.

-AM

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:16 PM) : 

The Gap is selling a very similar sweater right now

 

Blogger ellastica said ... (3:23 AM) : 

i misread one of the first comments as asking, was he single?
this guy proves basics can in fact be stylish not stodgy.
he's got a beautiful smile and nice head of hair!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:51 AM) : 

i have to say this is one of my favorite shots of all time as well. just wondering if you were using something longer than a 50mm for this one sart? i was wondering what kind of aperture setting you used for shots of these kinds. it just has a wonderful soft quality that makes his smile all the more wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 AM) : 

I think you can get one of those cardigans at gap for about twenty bucks. I know because I got one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:28 PM) : 

i didn't know kevin federline was such a sartorialist.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:41 AM) : 

Hi,

is it you Fred? I am not shure...sorry I missed your Party...

Greetings from Hamburg...K.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:05 PM) : 

Heart attack!
His smile and his cardigan...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 PM) : 

Great photo, great look, great smile. I was totally looking for a sweater like this this winter and didn't really find it. He got it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:36 PM) : 

I concur that this is one of the best shots you've taken. Could you tell us how you took the photo, Sart? Soft focus?

 

Blogger Andrea Karim said ... (1:52 AM) : 

He looks so happy! I prefer it much over the standard pouty EuroBoy. With this guy, I think "Fun!". With others, I start singing "I'm Too Sexy" without even meaning to.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 AM) : 

What did you say to make him laugh like that?!

Wonderful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:56 AM) : 

Really nice picture. full of life

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:09 AM) : 

Beautiful. I'm in love with the cardigan. It's so fantastically simple, and the smile just lights up the frame.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:54 AM) : 

A real male to dream about. I love the dark cardigan with rolled up sleeves. Hope to see many of those next summer!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:00 PM) : 

I'm doomed. I'm in love...

 

Blogger m said ... (1:26 PM) : 

He looks incredible. He made me stop to look. Had I seen him on the street I would have felt an electrical jolt. That unexpected reaction you feel when you see someone who somehow wakes you up from your everyday walk through life

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:26 PM) : 

Everything about that cardigan is perfect. The collar, the buttons, the fabric... Sigh... They don't make clothes the way they used to...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:58 PM) : 

Rats... This is my second comment about this photo...
Gosh... [sigh]. This man takes my breath away Sart. Every thing about him just takes my breath away. Period.

PS. Help. I need help.

;)

 

Blogger Maven said ... (8:21 AM) : 

Oh he's just beautiful- My son has this sweater in charcoal grey- it was my fathers. Some stuff is just perfect all the time and this is a perfect shot of some of it! Thanks- this is getting e-mailed to california where the sweater now resides...

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting