This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

The Girl from G.R.L

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Girl from G.R.L

Comments on "The Girl from G.R.L"

 

Blogger NATRIBU said ... (7:49 AM) : 

I love that red coat and her bag!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:56 AM) : 

Perfect in every way. I want her dress & her shoes & her bag...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:05 AM) : 

Although the shoes are cute,they don´t fit with the rest of her clothing.And is that snow on the street?

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:07 AM) : 

Yes very nice, but have you got your pictures back yet? A

 

Blogger Miss T. said ... (8:14 AM) : 

Red and green. Two the most striking colours together. Love it.
It reminds me of my favourite painting by Jan van Eyck "Wedding Portrait".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:36 AM) : 

Fierce! I love that she looks like a fire or something. A little heat in the cold. Really cool

 

Blogger odilean said ... (8:41 AM) : 

I like this! The red structured coat and fur hat remind of of something my mother wore in soviet Russia. And remember how last year it was the winter of darkness? This year there is so much more color--it makes me really happy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:44 AM) : 

Perhaps the only person I've seen to successfully pull off green and red and not look too christmasish

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 AM) : 

i'm loving all the colors- she manages to pull it off and look classy, not clownish!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 AM) : 

LOVE the bag!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 AM) : 

love the bag

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 AM) : 

I aspire to brighten up a dreary winter day as she does.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 AM) : 

wow, she is what I aspire to, an absence of black...
and a great smile and fringe...
it has cheered me up on this gloomy Monday!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 AM) : 

Love this look, but why do people pose with the feet pointing inwards?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:12 AM) : 

She looks great, very colorful, love those miu miu shoes!

 

Blogger guerilla traveller said ... (9:30 AM) : 

just the right background to bring out the perfect mix of colours.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 AM) : 

uff, i like her with these shoes and hat and everything in this surrounding with the puddles in the background.
i really like the red/pink/silky green mix. first the addition of grey and brown together bothered me a bit. but somehow it works on her. maybe it's her smile....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 AM) : 

Ummm, Hmmm.

Love your Blog ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

Awesome

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 AM) : 

Welcome back blondie.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:51 AM) : 

Red, charcoal and coral pink - beautiful!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (9:58 AM) : 

I love the detail at the hem of the green dress, and the bold color mix softened with the gray tights.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 AM) : 

oh, i love her! she's perfect!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 AM) : 

Sweetest look ever! The contrast of red and green..oh my! Bag and hat with long blonde hair. NICE!

 

Blogger Lux Lisbon said ... (10:13 AM) : 

love the Gaúcho bag!! :)

 

Blogger laia. said ... (10:13 AM) : 

She's back! And she's wearing the same shoes! Love her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Russian?

 

Blogger Françoise said ... (10:15 AM) : 

seeing a woman wearing dk grey wool tights with pumps makes me want to wear pumps. that combination really works well on her, because of the beautiful shape of her legs. she's a welcome little sunshine on a weekday tuesday morning. :)

 

Blogger Françoise said ... (10:15 AM) : 

seeing a woman wearing dk grey wool tights with pumps makes me want to wear pumps. that combination really works well on her, because of the beautiful shape of her legs. she's a welcome little sunshine on a weekday tuesday morning. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:38 AM) : 

i love this picture! her style is fun and quirky and sophisticated all at once! she's comfortable with her style, and it shows. also, great shoes, great bag...just great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

I like this look. It could be too much red, but it's well-balanced. And she doesn't appear to take herself too seriously. Tres cute!

 

Blogger Cassaundra said ... (11:07 AM) : 

she is darling.

her outfit is a bit quirky, which is nice to see on a rainy day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 AM) : 

The carnaval moved from Rio to NYC. Yayyyyyyy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:15 AM) : 

Work it girl. Aha, you go girl.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 AM) : 

GRL as in Grafitti Research Labs?
Sorry maybe I'm just being ignorant here.

 

Blogger Romeika said ... (11:32 AM) : 

Miu Miu pumps!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:37 AM) : 

Love her style. This is the kind of style I aim for, but I may not have as much confidence as her to pull it off. Love the colors. Hmm, maybe I will wear a skirt and some tights tomorrow...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

Great overall look! Lovely bag and allthough those stocking are daring, she pulls it off well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 PM) : 

Fantastic use of color and texture!

 

Blogger Poochie said ... (12:49 PM) : 

Adorable! Love the Miu Miu's too.

Luv
Poochie

 

Blogger NotAppealing said ... (1:12 PM) : 

I really like the way you caught the texture in her dress.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 PM) : 

I love the red coat, the shoes an the bag. I'm not into the hat all that much though...

 

Blogger Susan B said ... (1:21 PM) : 

Not for the timid, but nicely done here. Brava!!!

 

Blogger DShan said ... (1:26 PM) : 

saucy! the girl's hot!

 

Blogger BethInPortland said ... (1:29 PM) : 

Normally I don't like green and red together--too much like a Christmas tree. However, with the pink added this works. Very charming!

 

Blogger couch_fashionista said ... (1:41 PM) : 

It's a fun look, but a bit much for me. Love her bangs though, and all her pieces individually :) Except for the hat. I could never pull that off, lol.

 

Blogger irritablevowel said ... (1:41 PM) : 

Like the outfit (particularly the coat and leggings and shoes) but absolutely *hate* the hair! It looks terrible with her face. She would look brilliant in a different color and cut, like a medium red-brown bob.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:46 PM) : 

I just LOVE these Miu Miu... :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 PM) : 

Absolutely smashing from head to toe! Red must be her favorite color--and rightly so, since she wears it with such a flair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

I love her look because it is original, cheery, tidy and weather appropriate all at the same time!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:09 PM) : 

Ahh. Not a fan of red but this girl makes me change my mind. Beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:27 PM) : 

That's a nice winter brightener! I'm going back and forth on the charcoal for the tights, and I'm hoping somebody can explain the engineering of the coral thing. Is it two coral things, one a sash, or one coral thing with a print and a solid, and how the heck is the top part attached to her? It looks like it's just static-electricied onto her front. (I can't steal if I don't understand it!) I am loving the dress and I'm thinking that its mood here is exactly the opposite of what it would seem to be just worn on its own, which is a great thing to remember.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 PM) : 

I'm trying to figure out what that pink and brown thing is down her front --can anyone tell? Is it some artfully knotted scarf or scarves?

The mix of so many colours here works, because the quality of the colours is consistent--they're all saturated without being too bright.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:37 PM) : 

A good comeback from the girl that was in your best picture ever. I love everything about her...she is FUN, daring and sexy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:37 PM) : 

Looking good, lady!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:43 PM) : 

The swedish sweetie is back. I love the colors, she has the perfect attitude to fashion.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:54 PM) : 

i'm sorry but it's true: less is more.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:04 PM) : 

I like her outfit. And I love her shoes!

 

Blogger momo said ... (3:25 PM) : 

I would never have thought of the grey tights with the red, and with the brown had and bag, but they somehow pull the whole thing together.

 

Blogger Sydney Marie said ... (3:49 PM) : 

Gorgeous! I love it head to toe!
http://hautecouturegirl.blogspot.com/
~My blog~

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:14 PM) : 

Very very sweet!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:22 PM) : 

YES!

 

Blogger Miss Cavendish said ... (4:35 PM) : 

This is a great example of how layers of color work together. On their own--not so much. But together, the reds, green, and bright blonde zing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:09 PM) : 

I'm sure it's just my lack of style or something but ew, I don't like this outfit at all!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:20 PM) : 

love love love love love

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

fab with colours!! she's lovely!

 

Blogger Kornelius said ... (6:33 PM) : 

That's what I was thinking Grafitti Research Lab rocks... and I guess so do the attendees...

 

Blogger My Castle in Spain said ... (6:34 PM) : 

Mmm...it works really well. I wish we could see the dress or skirt. The fur hat is great !

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 PM) : 

Splendid. The play of textures is also interesting. Skillful and fun.

 

Blogger s.212 said ... (7:34 PM) : 

I love her look! she looks like a cute strawberry! :-)

 

Blogger nina corvallo said ... (7:40 PM) : 

your blog (and your eye!) is just delicious! I hope there will be a book one day.
Thanks for making my days brighter :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 PM) : 

love the red coat, red nails and red shoes. adds a POP don't you think? only i wish the green dress was not silky, i don't think it fits

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 PM) : 

This is absolutely gorgeous. I don't care for the hat, but it all works. The color combo is gorgeous. Red coats are just so striking.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 PM) : 

i like that colour combination! mixing vivid tones is always more difficult that it appears though. great shot!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 PM) : 

Not to say the obvious but being a Swede, I think she looks ethnically Swedish but not at all with a Swedish style. I remember myself becoming detached from that inexpressible yet definite idea I have of Swedish sartorial style while I was living in London. So my conclusion is: Swedish girl living in NY. Btw, I love how she, to me, could just as well be a brunette or redhead. She doesn't let her hair colour come in the way of what she wants to express with her style.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:08 PM) : 

Yes, and the red nail polish, too. And the Dior bag is perfect because it is the sole unstructured element of this classy look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:23 PM) : 

She is a gorgeous valentine! Love this whole look, and her smile seals it.

But I'm trying to figure out what is around her neck....scarf? necklace? what is it? I want it!

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (10:17 PM) : 

Oh, you kid!

 

Blogger cheeks said ... (11:16 PM) : 

Christmas and Thanksgiving wed!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 PM) : 

If I'd see her on the street, I might applaud. This is fantastic. So energetic and happy. Damn, those tights and green dress. Wicked!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 PM) : 

She's gorgeous!
ren..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:08 AM) : 

i love everything about this outfit. the colors are striking and very similar to the saturation of colors in the movie Amelie.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 AM) : 

She's red hot.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 AM) : 

Marvellous, everything is just marvellous here. Its been a while since I saw a picture that all the pieces individually are great and even when you put them all together it looks even better. This is lovely.

Energie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:46 AM) : 

I want you to know that I just saved ten pictures from the last two weeks because they are just so amazing.
I'm going to print them out and stick them any place where they can help to give me inspiration.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:50 AM) : 

hey you all, how do we feel about the hat? saw lots of comments of the shoes and bag and colours, but isn´t the thing on her head really the "oddest" thing in the picture? Think I like it tough...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:53 AM) : 

Fantastic!!!! J'adore!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 AM) : 

Off-topic I know but I need some advice. Should I use regular shoe trees in my Miu Miu Chelsea boots or will they ruin them? They are very narrow / pointy...

 

Blogger OndrejS said ... (7:28 AM) : 

To be honest I am not that exalted about this girl. The individual items are pretty. But the combination is not right. Various kinds of red are fighting each other, the bag seems too massive in contrast to the gentle and sweet dress and the hat is just not having any response in anything else she wears. I would rather like to see her with a 30s style woven hat:-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:45 AM) : 

In response to Why did Helmut Newton die? "I'm sorry but it's true: less is more." No! "Less is not more - less is just less."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:26 AM) : 

I love this girl. She is FUN and knows how to play with fashion. Welcome back!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:21 AM) : 

I guess I'm the only dissenter here. Too much hair, too much bag, not enough girl. Looks out of date already.

 

Blogger Jane Flanagan said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Sugar and spice and all things nice!

 

Blogger Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said ... (11:06 AM) : 

Love this ensemble. I must recreate it. I've got the red coat, so thats a start.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:20 AM) : 

Love the mix of colors especially her tights with the red shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

I love the ensemble, except for the fur hat.
But I'm a suspect, as I love red coats.
It's a brave thing to wear red with other colors than black.
The blue grey tights are (surprisingly) the best choise for this combo.

Cristina

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:44 PM) : 

Gone are the days if subdued-ism! It seems that to match in these times, you have to clash in the most ridiculous, fantastic way.

Red with pink? With gray and green silk??!! And that hat, that awful, wonderful coonskin-like hat. Even if this was a borrowed garb, she owns in just in the way she holds her bag (is that Hermes, or Ballenciaga? I need a closer look!), close to her body, fingernails up to the sky.

Honestly, I really really love this.

 

Blogger miss milki said ... (1:05 PM) : 

Fabulous! I LOVE those Miu Miu shoes! She seems to have just the right balance of colours...red coat and shoes and the green dress balanced by the grey tights and brown bag and hat.
She shines out in the grey street! Great photo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:21 PM) : 

I hate the hat and the blouse... It's a little too "that girl" for me. I second the poster that said she can pull off red and green w/ out looking christmas-y. I love the tights w/ the shoes and the bright blonde hair w/ the firey red coat. She stands out in a crowd- that's for sure!

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (1:24 PM) : 

The platinum blond hair contrasts really nicely with the red coat. I love the pairing of red shoes with black tights too.

She has the whole high-contrasts look down, which are difficult to do without looking too mismatched.

It is also very refreshing to see so much color on the streets of NYC where black on black is de rigueur for most people.

 

Blogger Alysa said ... (1:39 PM) : 

Seriously delightful, amazing, perfect. The Colours!! The design details! The look is so well put together without looking forced. It is absolutely inspiring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:52 PM) : 

Sweet like candy!

 

Blogger Rafe Totengco said ... (4:04 PM) : 

Love all that color against the grey sky. Nothing is more uplifting than a big bold red coat and those Miu Miu pumps are simply divine!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:22 PM) : 

I saw this girl on my L train from BK and knew she was on her way to the shows.

I also knew she would be photographed.

It was great in person. Really a masterpiece but she had no idea how to walk in those shoes properly.

Big props anyway.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:39 PM) : 

One word: FABULOUS

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:37 PM) : 

This lady is fab. Her looks and her style stands out in the street and I would love to see her outfits every day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 PM) : 

Red hot lady in red.

 

Blogger Venus di Milo said ... (10:26 PM) : 

to all the people who keep asking why women pose with they feet facing inward: it's because it's more flattering to the leg than facing the feet out and showing the calf in full profile. that's why.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 PM) : 

AMAZING! She makes fashion fun again and is like a ray of sun after a dark winter.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:31 AM) : 

I would say it's cute, but too much. Not a huge fan of the tights and it's too non-conformist with the severe bang look. To tone this down I'd say - black stocking, black bag, black hat. That way, the coat and dress combo would pop, complimented by the red pump.
That is all.

 

Blogger The Fab Miss B said ... (2:03 AM) : 

I'm loving all the grey tights ladies are wearing this season. It is so unexpected, and looks great with all this color!

Becky

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (1:50 PM) : 

what a shame that we are all young only ONCE.
this girl is the coolest!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:18 PM) : 

love the outfit and the hat! but would have liked it if she wore something black and patent on her feet instead.. the red shoes looked out of place.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:55 PM) : 

She's totally my upstairs neighbor. She always looks that good. And she's really nice, too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:33 PM) : 

Sweet like sugar and red like fire. I love this daring lady!

 

Blogger magia1980 said ... (5:03 PM) : 

fabulous!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 PM) : 

Yikes! Is that the Dior gaucho bag?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:23 PM) : 

I'd like to feel passion and fire from this look. Really. But it just makes me want to...yaawn.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 PM) : 

"t's because it's more flattering to the leg than facing the feet out and showing the calf in full profile. that's why."

I wish they wouldn't. It looks so very contrived and awkward. And there are plenty of women pictured on this blog with feet placed naturally whose legs look mighty fine, so I'm not convinced that the effect is that special anyway.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:08 PM) : 

I love this GIRL! I see her a lot in New York and she is always beautiful.

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (4:42 PM) : 

This is incredible!!!

 

Blogger boocat said ... (5:55 PM) : 

When I first saw this, I thought she was wearing a fur tricorn hat!
Adore the green silk dress (what shade is that exactly?) with the rich coat and grey hose (anthracite?) The bit of pink sets it off vibrantly. I get so tired of seeing people boldly wearing six shades of navy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:34 AM) : 

very fierce and vibrant, shes a gorgeous girl and the vibrant red matches her. love the grey stockings, they calm the outfit down a little, very well put together.

 

Blogger bowerbird said ... (3:30 AM) : 

totally charming - I need that coat!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 PM) : 

Way to rock those Miu Miu pumps!! I have the same shoes, but am not quite as brave as this young lady is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 PM) : 

i love everything about this outfit. i wonder where she found her pinstriped stockings.

 

Blogger stacy (la, ca) said ... (10:22 PM) : 

She's a totally perfect style statement. The shoes are superb!

Interesting, the comments about toe positioning. I had a photographer-friend insist to me that when she is angling to snap the ultimate head-shot, the placement of the subject's toes is *everything*: If the toes are pidgeon-toed-inward, the facial visage is not-where-it-could-be. But with toes out at an angle, with, for example, one heel near the center-point of the other shoe, almost miraculously a superb face-shot emerges.

Has anyone else heard this piece of photographer-lore?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:52 AM) : 

I am in love!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

I personally love it, it's a very good mix of vibrant colors without looking severe. Response to those that say she should have chosen black stockings/shoes/hat whatever: that's probably why she looks great in this bright mix of colors and you wouldn't. Black is too harsh to set off brights, I think, it wouldn't really mix with this look at all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:10 PM) : 

This is one of my favorites. It's refreshing and exciting to see someone use color so boldly, especially in winter when greys, blacks, and browns seem to prevail. A little bit of color can pop and look sophisticated, but I am more interested in generous uses of color and unexpected combinations.

We can all use some color therapy in winter.

Kudos on the beautiful look (fashion AND photo)!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:26 PM) : 

Love the overall outfit. The fur is a little off, but pulls it off well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 PM) : 

I remember i actually saw her that day around my school on 23rd street, asking for directions i believe, and i literally stopped and looked at her outfit and though wow. I loved it, and her long blond hair was great. I turned to my friend and told her to look at this girl. And then i get home and stumble upon thesartorialist.com and see her as the first post. She pulls off this look so well.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting