This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Mr. Luciano Barbera, Milano

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, February 07, 2008

On the Street...Mr. Luciano Barbera, Milano


Again, not directional, not fashion-forward but very well done.

Comments on "On the Street...Mr. Luciano Barbera, Milano"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:11 AM) : 

Please scott offer some comment on the latest thom browne collection, it has got to be worthy of some debate.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (9:28 AM) : 

Great photo, Sart. Non-directional and non-fashion-forward are GOOD things, right? I couldn't tell from your caption. This is such a classic photo, it's hard to know where to begin. Check out the undarted sport jacket with a 3/2 roll, the crimson pocket square, dress shirt with university stripes, grey flannel trousers, and tobacco suede split-toe shoes. Exceedingly well done! Mr. Barbera is one of my style icons and I have a collection of images of him on my hard drive. I wish more men, especially the fashion victims and sofa slobs, would pay attention to him. Watch and learn.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 AM) : 

A spruced up Sean Connery, eh? This man is put together. Nicely done.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

The shirt, the shoes, the eyeglasses, the pants are just great. Beautiful and comfortable. Perfectly suited to the man.
But, the jacket seems less-than-perfect to me. It looks like the stiching on the bottom half (near the lower pockets) of the jacket was done poorly. It appears to be wavy. I'd never expect a man such as Mr. Barbera to have poor tailoring. Could it possibly be an illusion in the photo?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

The shirt, the shoes, the eyeglasses, the pants are just great. Beautiful and comfortable. Perfectly suited to the man.
But, the jacket seems less-than-perfect to me. It looks like the stiching on the bottom half (near the lower pockets) of the jacket was done poorly. It appears to be wavy. I'd never expect a man such as Mr. Barbera to have poor tailoring. Could it possibly be an illusion in the photo?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

Scott - great picture and great look. I saw this up at A.S.W. a few days ago and immediately could tell is was your work. I miss seeing more of these stylish older men here - keep up the good work!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 AM) : 

yawn.

My Grandpa is better than YOUR Grandpa.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 AM) : 

Sart,

"not fashion forward but...."?

you write "but" as if fashion forward is better...The first thing I think when I see someone in fashion forward clothing like Armani, Boss, Calvin Klein and DG is "what a total loser."

...if more people dressed like the man in your photo here the world would be a better place and not the cesspool sewer it has become and that is glamorized in fifth rate fashion magazines like GQ.

I think GQ has done more damage than good. If women want men to dress better, the first thing they should do is give their man this picture and pictures like it and insist they do not buy GQ.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

He may not be fashion forward, but he has a definite sense of style. I have long admired Signore Barberra's clothing. It's nice to have a face to put with those fabulous clothes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 AM) : 

you've posted this picture before I believe

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 AM) : 

Very nice as you said. I love the orange tinge of his eyeglass frames. Small but definitely adds to the palette.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 AM) : 

Mr. Barbera is class through and through. His appearance demonstrates how terrible some of the "fashion forward" stuff is.

 

Blogger Dovid said ... (12:05 PM) : 

Is that really Luciano Barbera?? I love his stuff, and I think he looks great here, too. I just wouldn't imagine him dressing so understatedly...

Anon, yes, let's debate Thom Brown... I have a few comments myself :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 PM) : 

I love his tie... beautiful

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 PM) : 

He looks like a professor and I want to be in his class.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (1:01 PM) : 

So, nu?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:09 PM) : 

This man is absolutely gorgeous. I have been a widow for 10 years and I am ready to start dating again. That is why I learned how to use the internets. Where can I find him?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:07 PM) : 

Fully agree; but do respect Mr. Barbera; a true genius and professional. No shrunken jackets and "flood" pants for him..ever

 

Blogger biglakestyle said ... (2:17 PM) : 

So very very cool; especially the subtle pocket square in deep burgundy; he is IT

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:35 PM) : 

he looks great - love his glasses, shirt and tie - very dapper!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 PM) : 

i love when older gentalmen rock the great style. and show us what they have learn over their lives. more truth to the fact that mens fashion doesn't need to change, because classic will always be that, classic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:43 PM) : 

I agree very well done, now if I can get my granddad to leave the house with a tie it'd be a miracle.

 

Blogger Richard said ... (5:13 PM) : 

In my opinion, Mr. Barbera is one of the best dressed individuals in the world. He is an example of classic style, and I love your features on classically dressed individuals.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 PM) : 

If "forward" means looking like Dr. Spock's long lost daughter or Pee Wee Herman, then no, Mr. Barbera is not a representative of fashion-forward comic book looking characters. Yet, I cannot help but think that his sense of fashion is what will continue to be referenced in the future. This is the eternal standard of how elegant adult gentlemen dress. It is where the eternal meets reality.

T.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:26 PM) : 

Classic J. Press, right down to the 1 3/4" cuffs.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:29 PM) : 

How did this look end up in Milan?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:49 PM) : 

he has not a big agenda beyond proportioned 'rightness', and a comfortable individuality. the green tie [!] against the stripe shirt plus the maroon pocket square, down to the shoes are visual 'ticklers'...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:27 PM) : 

Bertie got it right. This is style, not fashion. And it is extremely well done.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 PM) : 

I want him to be my grandpa.

 

Blogger Frontier Psychiatrist said ... (8:58 PM) : 

I want his tie.

 

Blogger The Federalist said ... (10:17 PM) : 

Look at the break in his pants... Perfect!

 

Blogger Patagonia Community said ... (11:30 PM) : 

I've never seen Mr. Barbera himself, only his classic clothing. Here's a guy and style that from the very first moment one can respect. And I'm kind of with "LBT for President" above: some of the guys you see decked in fashion-forward designer stuff come across as way too self-important. Nice photograph--my imagination tells me that it's a wonderfully quiet street behind him.

 

Blogger Jason Clinkscales said ... (12:02 AM) : 

For some reason, the photo had me wondering if those are transition lenses. Anyway, style is a beautiful thing. What works for the goose doesn't go for the gander, but it works nonetheless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 AM) : 

As a wise man once said to me, "Don't worry about being different, worry about being good. That's different enough."

And today, rarer than ever.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:33 AM) : 

To echo a common sentiment, I love Mr. Barbera's style.

I don't want to knock anyone's personal style, but I'm glad that there are still men like him protecting and perfecting the classic. It's a great counterpoint to the more "fashion forward" and something I try to emulate myself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 AM) : 

This man shows class all the way non of that noveau rich you can see from time to time. Mr Barbera is defently one of the biggest style icons in menswear, if I could I would prefer to wear his brand everyday..

 

Blogger Dovid said ... (10:55 AM) : 

I retract what I wrote about the understatedness of his dress. i just meant what someone already pointed out: the age of the jacket, the scuffs on the shoes, etc. I'd just think a guy like him could wear a new pair every day. But the outfit is great. Truly iconic, and I must agree with all the commenters about not being "fashion forward" being a good thing. Why should we go forward from this outfit.

The buch should stop here.

 

Blogger ricpic said ... (1:57 PM) : 

Ah, civilization.

 

Blogger tintin said ... (3:57 PM) : 

Erudite, sohisticated and charming. Men can learn a lot from this man. I just wish I could afford his line of clothing.

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (4:39 PM) : 

He's perfect. He makes it look so easy and effortless.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 PM) : 

A refreshing change after all those young guys who think that style means dressing unisexually.

Everything about Barbera is absolutely perfect.

 

Blogger astublieft said ... (3:47 PM) : 

It takes a while to understand the depth of his good taste. But one does get there with no regrets.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:35 AM) : 

This look ended up in Milan because there are men there who don't want to look like gigolos,panders, or girls.

 

Blogger Tzvi said ... (11:22 PM) : 

This picture is why i love this blog. At his age i want the heart to dress like that!The smile, the glasses, the look, AH! VIVA Luciano Barbera!

 

Blogger OTC said ... (2:33 PM) : 

How sad that this great example of classic and deeply personal style could be considered anything but wonderful. I don’t think Scott meant anything negative by his observation. I mean, if I could sit down and talk style and menswear with anyone, it would very well be Luciano Barbera. The man is a legend. So, to my mind, there is no reason to add a qualifier to this picture; it’s perfect. I have nothing against more “fashion” looks and cutting edge whatever – but those looks always seem to fade and go out of fashion. I hope to have half as much class at that point in my life. Mr. Barbera’s look will outlive us all.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:55 PM) : 

I think his style is perfect

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 PM) : 

Perhaps by including his qualifier, Sart simply was referring to the fact that his blog, in general, is usually geared toward the fashion-forward. This is an exception in that it's not fashion forward, but so well done that it deserves a spot anyway. Doesn't mean that Sart was finding fault, just that he was pointing out the difference between this and his other pictures.
Personally, I think it's very well-done and I would love to see more men like this where I am from.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 PM) : 

There are many subtle forces at play here. The perfect "X" of jacket creases, converging at the button. The absolutely symmetric way the pant creases swoop inward at the ankle. The lights in the vitrines. The wet pavement. The earth tones of the buildings. The flat grey sky.

Love it.

 

Blogger Dagwood Knows Best said ... (11:05 AM) : 

First off, I personally am not fashion foward at all. I wear all classics and the way I look at it is; it's how you choose items from the broad range of classic staples. You can choose the cut, colour, size, etc...

I get much more satisfaction out of the way I dress than I would wearing YSL or D&G any day.

I adore everything about Mr. Barbera's appearance.

 

Blogger Nelson vH said ... (7:10 PM) : 

Once again it´s the way he wears these classic items - completely at home with them!

The only complaint i have with this gentleman is captured in another picture...the way he wears his watch over the cuffs - but again...if he feels fine with it ;)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting