This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....The Silver Fox

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

On the Street....The Silver Fox

Comments on "On the Street....The Silver Fox"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:48 PM) : 

OH THE GLASSES! They are the perfect canary yellow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:50 PM) : 

tremendous. makes me seriously consider investing in a DB jacket.

-YG

 

Blogger reverend dick said ... (7:53 PM) : 

Very nice grooming here. Love the bold glasses. Am ok with the coat pattern. Not fond of pale buttons. Detest elbow patches.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 PM) : 

I love everything but those hideously matched buttons. Everything else, but especially the glasses and the hair works perfectly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:37 PM) : 

I love how the checkers of the jacket are set against the squares of the fence. But, I really have to ask what is going on with colour here: Different browns, black, pale blue, navy blue, bright yellow, white, and a face which is much more orange than the hands...The warmth of the jacket's tones would be better offset by fewer cold tones. And, the jacket is too tight around the waist...one pocket flap in and another pocket flap out...elbow patches with formal black pants? I dunno...

 

Blogger Ads said ... (8:49 PM) : 

When I think of the word "gentleman", this is what I picture.. perfect.

Would love to see him with the glasses on..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 PM) : 

I wish we could see him with his glasses on!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:00 PM) : 

fug jacket

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 PM) : 

i have never heard of anyone detesting elbow patches.

as soon as i saw this picture, i told my boyfriend to make sure he looks like this guy when he's older.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 PM) : 

I wish he was my grandpa.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:12 PM) : 

I love the ticket pocket on that sport coat...wish the jacket had working buttons on the sleeve.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 PM) : 

no no the elbow patch works so well! and those glasses! yes sir

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 PM) : 

LOVE IT! Those glasses! goodness me.
And I love how large the image is!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:20 PM) : 

Love this man!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:44 PM) : 

This gentleman demonstrates a theory of mine: when the hair goes grey, bring brown into the wardrobe. When my own hair was dark I stuck to cool colors and lots of black and grey. Now i need those earth tones to warm up the total palette. Works great - and brown is a perfect counter to blues, violets ... even pinks. Bravo.

 

Blogger Ridonkulus said ... (9:48 PM) : 

i love elbow patches. very academic looking. yellow glasses+ brown check (gingham??) jacket + navy blue tie = awesome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:56 PM) : 

i wish he could be my dad cos i guess im right when i think 'sense of style' is a genetically transmissed thing. this pic definitely proves fashion is a man business.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 PM) : 

oh-so-slick... even lovin' the elbow patches.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:41 PM) : 

If I could only look that way at his age, or at any age.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12 AM) : 

So many details! The double-breasted cut, the elbow patches, the white buttons, and a four square, too? But it all gets carried off with panache!
He looks very dapper and "amusant" to me!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 AM) : 

Terry Thomas! alive and well... the cad!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:27 AM) : 

He's pretty sharp. Got that very Milanese brown/gray/blue thing down to a science. I love the elbow patches on a db jacket, very unexpected, as are the yellow glasses. I would have prefered brown buttons, though. Those white ones ar a little to spring for January, no? And if he could just pop out his pocket flaps on the right...

But i digress. He looks great, and his outfit probably cost more than I made last month.

 

Blogger starbahks said ... (12:42 AM) : 

is that a smaller third pocket above the jacket's right pocket? what an interesting detail.

i also love the collar and the way the tie is knotted.

the glasses totally make the look, though.

 

Blogger Daman said ... (1:23 AM) : 

whatta badass.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 AM) : 

everything is perfect...

 

Blogger stephen said ... (1:31 AM) : 

Those glasses rock. I'm going to paint mine.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:53 AM) : 

I love everything with the exception of the elbow patches which I don't think work with DB jackets.

I think elbow patches are only good on old, worn tweed jackets, military sweaters, cardigans and such.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 AM) : 

He is certainly a fox :)

 

Blogger Petit Blog said ... (2:45 AM) : 

Agree, outside tweed/game or war attire, elbow patches should only be allowed as a result of mending a beloved & well used garment. I do however suspect that this is such a garment, to this gentleman. In fact, generally I believe that well-kept mended clothes sends interesting subtle signals of the "sartorial level" of the wearer. This gentleman sports strangly folded handkerchief, narrow tie to cut-away and those mind-boggling buttons and still it looks great on him. Cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:55 AM) : 

he truely looks like a genuine silver fox...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:40 AM) : 

Magnifique!

 

Blogger Kanani said ... (5:04 AM) : 

Younger men, take note:
There is nothing more dashing than a well-groomed older gentleman. This is the man whom one imagines would meet you for lunch, hold the door open, tell you how great you looked, and have impeccable manners throughout. It's courtly, but fun and on target.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:08 AM) : 

I think he looks really slick! Also think the white buttons are cool because they make him stand out. The only thing that bothers me is the tie/trouses combo. The jacket looks like one I've seen at Brunello Cuccinelli. Can't see what's wrong with the patches, they make the look a bit more sporty. Good job! Does anyone know who he is?

Regards

/Sebastian

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:17 AM) : 

I wish I could see his shoes. Dark brown semi-brogue Oxfod would be fine, in my opinion. The elbow patches should be attached in ten years or so. As for right-hand shoulder, it looks as though the sleeve had been telescoped into jackect, and not gently swen.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:20 AM) : 

Do someone know where is jacket is from? or brand maby? Its jus fabolus. Cheers

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:45 AM) : 

Now,this is just too detailed to my taste.Don´t fancy the outfit.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (7:45 AM) : 

Borderline too-much.

Which would be achieved if he put the glasses on.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:53 AM) : 

Those glasses! Fabulous!

 

Blogger InStudio Blog said ... (8:54 AM) : 

It seems he might slap me on the cheek with a pair of leather gloves. Tres intriguing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:25 AM) : 

I wish my dad dressed like that!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

There is a lot to like and a lot not to like:

Like the jacket but not the elbow patches on a DB and not the buttons.

Like the handkerchief but not the initials/emblem or whatever it is. That should not be shown or displayed. It's tacky.

Like the groomed mustache.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

If I had hair, I could look like that.

 

Blogger Anne Corrons said ... (10:15 AM) : 

Oh, my God, this jacket!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:12 AM) : 

I think one pocket flap is tucked in because that may be where he puts his cell phone and the flap gets pushed in. It's hard to remember to pull it back out each time. I see the same thing on a lot of the attorneys I work with; inevitably it's caused by the cell phone.

I think the whole look rocks, even down to the white buttons, which set off the silver hair.

I'm another one who wished I could have seen him with his glasses on.

 

Blogger Hélène said ... (11:36 AM) : 

really retro... love it!
I love the mustach :-)

 

Blogger youveneverheardofus said ... (11:36 AM) : 

Him on the phone: "Illyana? Yes my dear what is wrong? Your father? Missing? Yes I can meet you. The French Embassy in Cairo? Do not fret, my dear, I will find the good doctor."

Man of Mystery at work.

 

Blogger Suzanna Mars said ... (11:55 AM) : 

Add me to the button-dissenters.

He looks as though he has a slight whiff of cigar and the Continent to him.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (12:13 PM) : 

Perfect!!!

 

Blogger Socialite Commentary said ... (1:20 PM) : 

I think he's a little portly to wear a double breasted jacket, which, coupled with the length, makes him look more Joe Pesci than Marlon Brando.

I'm not sure about the Yellow glasses. If they were worn with a more solid pallet, they'd really pop; with an already busy outife, they shout, "Trying too hard."

 

Blogger NorthShore Chicago said ... (1:51 PM) : 

What a tremndously fitting jacket. The white buttons make it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:02 PM) : 

the buttons of the jacket are fantastic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:12 PM) : 

Except for the glasses and cell phone: Well played, old boy. Well played.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (2:57 PM) : 

How dapper he is. Though... he kind of reminds me of the conman in that film, oh you know the one, the um er gambling blokie...ohhh well anyway he looks a bit like him so i might give him a wide berth.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:13 PM) : 

i want the glasses!!!! nice to see scott's posting more guys on here lately. *grin*

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:27 PM) : 

La classe !!

 

Blogger Dovid said ... (3:33 PM) : 

Love the jacket. Is the ticket pocket flap tucked in or is there no flap, and only the opening seams? The bottom pocket has a flap that's tucked in but the ticket pocket seems to be flapless. Just wondering...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:35 PM) : 

Several nice touches - but displaying the monogram on the pocket square in this way is very tacky.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 PM) : 

bellissimo!
what a jacket..the plaid,the dbreast,the white button. italian gianginess at it's best!
i like the monogrammed pocket square too.
Great!

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (4:12 PM) : 

He's gorgeous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:06 PM) : 

The light buttons in winter, the brown checks with the formal pants--I agree--it's breaking some rules or assumptions. But so what? A man with this face can carry off anything with dignity and panache.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:09 PM) : 

The jacket has a very british , military like, cut rarely seen today. The brown of the jacket is matched with the blue of the tie in a superb way.
The global outfit reaches an handsome result , worth of being considered as a wonderful example.

Angelo
Genova Italy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:42 PM) : 

I'm getting a "Burt Lancaster in Il Gattopardo" vibe from him...and that is a very good thing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:43 PM) : 

I'm getting a "Burt Lancaster in Il Gattopardo" vibe from him...and that is a very good thing.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:14 PM) : 

I knew the posts commenting on this Silver Fox would range greatly. He is quite dapper and I wish more such stylish men could be spotted on the streets in the USA.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 PM) : 

I feel the white buttons demand no elbow patches, and the patches demand matching buttons. A choice should be made.

Otherwise he is lovely. Especially the glasses.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:12 PM) : 

Recalls Vittorio De Sica in that movie that's like Madame Bovary..."The Earrings of Madame de..."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:31 AM) : 

"gianginess" - i'm curious, what does that mean? or, "giangi" i suppose?

LOVE this. his facial expression really clinches it. lancaster in il gattopardo - i agree completely. or a character (shady or not) out of a bond movie. joe pesci? yeah, joe pesci WISHES he looked as awesome as this guy.

i just wish he was wearing the glasses. damn!

oh - and just a comment to all the men who might not like this - count me among the women who think this is utterly, devastatingly sexy and dashing, in a sweep-me-off-my-feet sort of way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 AM) : 

This is definitely one of my all-time favorite looks on your page! I had a short peak yesterday and was already fascinated but left it uncommented; now that i look at it again, i still wish i had these elements in my wardrobe - very well done! and as i said already: one of my favorites!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:04 AM) : 

I know that Duke of Windsor had a jacket made of identical material.

Look:

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5490

I imagine if this is only a coincidence or this gent was inspired by the Duke.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:24 AM) : 

It would be so nice to have more gentlemen of this kind in The Netherlands where I live. Just old fashioned charm !!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

Hey, the jacket he's wearing reminds me of this one:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_qjpwnPW4c1o/Rg5aIwAsiDI/AAAAAAAAAxE/hnZTu3gva_0/s1600-h/BC2.jpg

I'm sure I've seen a DB jacket pretty much the same as the silver fox is wearing in this falls BC collection.

But on the other hand, his is probably taylor made...

/S

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:32 PM) : 

I hope I get gray hair hwn i get older,and age with the same dignity! Some brown woven leather buttons insted of the white ones would have completed the outfit.

 

Blogger doingtheunstuck said ... (3:08 PM) : 

Ruth (8:37p) nailed it, I think. This is just a mess. And one other thing to add: the buttons really cheapen the look of this jacket. Get them changed!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:57 PM) : 

now he means buisness! glasses off, cellphone up, well places pocket square and perfectly fit jacket!

 

Blogger Maldoror said ... (8:55 PM) : 

If you don't close up on the photo, its an elegant Augusto Pinochet British look. Zoom in you'll find the trousers looklike pressed nylon and the jacket is horribly thin. Colours of the jacket good, why the horrible funeral blue tie?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 AM) : 

I'd like a bowl of pasta and glass of whatever red comes in a glass, please.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 AM) : 

this man Renato Plutino is a agent of Brunello Cucinelli in Milan...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 PM) : 

I love this look - it would be perfect were it not for the self-tanned face, which detracts from the sartorial grandeur.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 AM) : 

not mad about that jacket. the white buttons AND suede elbow pad push it over the top.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:45 AM) : 

Just.awesome.

 

Anonymous Sam said ... (4:54 PM) : 

This is the perfect illustration of the "Italian background" - navy tie on light blue shirt to bring out the jacket.
I wish he was my grandfather too :)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting