This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street...Gianluca, Milano

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

On the Street...Gianluca, Milano

Comments on "On the Street...Gianluca, Milano"

 

Blogger Emily said ... (8:31 AM) : 

Love. He's invoking characters from Sherlock Holmes (or similar) but there's nothing costume-y about him. He looks very warm. I dig it.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:39 AM) : 

Or Batman meets a monk. Not a look for the masses certainly, but I'm very glad you took this photo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:45 AM) : 

He reminds me of the count from sesame street.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:16 AM) : 

I love this - I think capes are great for me, when they are worn with the right outfit - I perfer it to be cut down a little, a bit too long for me, but it's fun and it works with that dismoal weather behind him.

great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:31 AM) : 

don't tell me..someone else that works in the "industry"?..for a change.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:33 AM) : 

I'd put money on this one goin past 100 posts.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (9:43 AM) : 

I think he looks wonderful!
We get some pretty wild 'costumes'( say it as the French do) here in Marrakech.
The pointy hooded robe is the most wonderful and mysterious

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (9:47 AM) : 

Great pic, Sart. I call this one your 'Goth With A Beard' photo. I love the black cape and the rainy, somewhat gloomy city landscape. Very evocative.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

anon 9:33am

I doubt it will go pass 100 post, because it doesn't have the "tight pants"! haha

I like this picture. The black cape fits in pretty good with the cloudy grey sky and the relatively monotone buildings.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (10:00 AM) : 

Love the cape! Very Count Dracula mets Little Red Riding Hood!

Of course, as a New Yorker, I worry about how he might get out his Metrocard, then thru the turnstile....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 AM) : 

My soul mate, hello! I´m a cape lover since I was 15 and still wear them (at present I´m 58).
No problem with metro, the secret is well organised INSIDE pockets and big enough slits for arms.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (10:26 AM) : 

Vampire-chic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

I love medieval cape-man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

It's a fancy dress costume. I admire the chap's bravery though

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:45 AM) : 

what?! pure costume. but who's to say one can't wear a costume. what a delightful imp. can someone be impish and dark, whimsical and austere, approachable and imposing all at the same time?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 AM) : 

The Phantom of the Opera! Very daring, very dashing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:51 AM) : 

It's his face that is so special.

 

Blogger Miss T. said ... (11:17 AM) : 

He resembles Vincent van Gogh, doesn't he?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

This is bold, I like it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:48 AM) : 

First thought was that he looks like he'd fit into "The Wizarding World," and I love it, it works for him.

 

Blogger Sam said ... (12:14 PM) : 

Looks more like Transylvania.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 PM) : 

Oh, I love it! I love the movement and graceful lines of a long cape or cloak. Too bad it's been hijacked by goths and most people see it as a costume. This guy makes it look like real clothes.

 

Blogger tintin said ... (12:22 PM) : 

Is that cape cuffed?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:36 PM) : 

Oh, how dramatic! I love it, that theatrical look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

What drama! I like it.

 

Blogger Giorgia said ... (12:49 PM) : 

> The Phantom of the Opera! Very daring, very dashing.

Yes, I had commented similarly earlier, but, apparently, my comment has been marked as spam or something (or deliberatedly deleted? dunno.) for some obscure reason. Oh, well, nevermind.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:55 PM) : 

Van Gogh going for the vampire look... : ) He looks more like a character than a real person!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:38 PM) : 

To Butch: Is your only concern when you are getting dressed how to have access to your metrocard within 2 seconds at all times? If yes, then i feel sorry for you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 PM) : 

I think it's Death, but he put his hood down, left the sickle at home and he's taking a day off. And guess what, he doesn't look so bad!

 

Blogger G. said ... (2:16 PM) : 

Carramba!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:09 PM) : 

I would call this Harry Potter chic :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:26 PM) : 

I'd don't say it's a costume.
It looks like a "tabarro", traditional cape or mantel here in Italy, still common in the '50s.
My grandfather had one, he wore it while riding his bicicly to meet my grandmother (40 kilometers a day!).

I'm beginning to see them again on the streets (capes, not grandparents!) normally worn by younger people.

Not that comune, but not costume-y either.

Ciao!!

 

Blogger reverend dick said ... (3:58 PM) : 

He looks warm dry and interesting. I wonder what he's up to in his selftent?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:14 PM) : 

You have posted several photos of this man over the years, and this one finally confirms what we have all wondered about ourselves: Yes, this lovely Italian man is a vampire.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (4:23 PM) : 

Few men are brave enough to wear the Cape. Good for him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:11 PM) : 

His face looks like Van Gogh. I personally think he'd look better in a slim pea coat, but perhaps a big poncho is warmer.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:30 PM) : 

In response to above,

Yes--Harry Potter chic indeed! Dementor-esque with the hood down. I love it :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:35 PM) : 

all I can think about when i see this is Sweeney Todd. I saw it this past weekend.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:47 PM) : 

ITS A CAPE!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:08 PM) : 

this is definitely one of my all-time favorite pictures on the site! I love it so much!

something about this looks sort of old master-y to me. maybe it's his face, he looks like young rembrandt or somebody.

on another note, this is also the second man-cape in as many days. are they coming back in?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:36 PM) : 

Another man wearing a poncho type garment.

Another man ruining the look with the wrong shoes.

I do like this photo though. Surreal and beautiful.

aaa.. if only this handsome gentleman had put on some streamlined structured boots this morning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:46 PM) : 

he looks so nice and has that fantastic beard, therefore he can pull off wearing a cape without it looking like a goth-y costume...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 PM) : 

Yes, it's interesting and all, but this belongs to Facehunter rather than TheSartorialist. Let's not get too arty...

 

Blogger suzannemarques said ... (8:40 PM) : 

i love the cape! the neck looks so comfy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:42 PM) : 

The cape is a rarely seen garment today on men. This cape works with the Milano cityscape in the background. It would probably not work with the NY cityscape in the background, unless the photo was of the Bishop of NY standing in front of The Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine on a cold day greeting the faithful after morning prayer...know who you are and where you are.

T.

 

Blogger Zelmarific said ... (9:28 PM) : 

I think the cape is a bit pretentious.

 

Blogger Jamie Tallman said ... (9:44 PM) : 

I'm thinking more like a short-beared Rasputin. Very mystic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 PM) : 

All I know is that you, dear Sart, are such an artist! We love your work. The sequences you have manage to post lately are borderline delirium. I mean where on earth you spotted this man with the cape!
Do not put in the same folder with Vigo in the poncho.
I mean rally... a Milano vampire standing on a crescent in a rainy day proves that you are simply a wizard.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 PM) : 

from the background scenario I understand he's very close to my home.
If I'll ever meet him I'll tell him winter in Milan is not that bad.
draculish!

 

Blogger lauren ashley said ... (10:32 PM) : 

how striking, in that cloak. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 AM) : 

"it's time to play number of the day! count all the buildings behind me!
One...ah,ah,ah!
two...ah,ah,ah!
Three...ah,ah,ah!"

Ask your kids who he looks like, Sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 AM) : 

i wonder where he parked his horse ...

seriously, absolutely fab, medievally speaking!

and WHERE in the world did you come across this guy??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:56 AM) : 

I think it's great to see a whole new type of garment (even if its an old one being revived). Since WWI I don't think men's fashion has seen a single addition of a new type of garment that is sui generis - (maybe the zip-up hoodie?).

I'm definitely certain I wouldn't have the stones to wear it - so kudos to him!

 

Blogger David said ... (10:30 AM) : 

WOW, great cape

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:10 AM) : 

The Grim Reaper.

 

Blogger FWD said ... (12:06 PM) : 

I think he looks fantastic. But I'm a little jealous because his cape gets Sart love, and mine only ever gets fun made of it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 PM) : 

I just now stumbled across this fantastic blog. . . And I had to put in my two cents! After careful consideration I really think I like this look! It has a mild Goth undertone, without invoking images of black fingernails and pale faces. On top of the overall wearability. . . think how warm and comfortable a well-made wool cape would be! I want one now!
That is an attractive man who knows how to pull off an unconventional look!

~Kate

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:19 PM) : 

Very Name of the Rose

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:53 AM) : 

definitely one of my favorites...he is very vampire-esque and amazing, even his eyes are piercing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 PM) : 

Nice! He looks a lot like Bradley from last season's Project Runway...anyone else agree?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 PM) : 

Reminds me of the theater kids in my high school who wore black capes and trenchcoats and played "Dungeons and Dragons" on weekends. Not working for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:30 AM) : 

I really like capes but wearing them is very difficult. I have a loden with a cape that I almost never wear because the image I have in my mind before I put it on never matches with reality. Anyways, this guy does it really well. Thanks for the great pic Sartorialist.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:35 PM) : 

"Luke, I'm your father!" :-)
_ DeeDee

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 AM) : 

ooh how bram stoker-esque

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:25 PM) : 

I love his coat. Its very mysterious.

 

Blogger kiriko said ... (1:11 PM) : 

he looks like a vampire...

 

Anonymous Martina said ... (8:34 PM) : 

He looks a bit like Dracula...?! But it's kind of cool!
Cheers, Martina

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting