This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Favorite Trend From Pitti - Creased Jeans

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, January 25, 2008

Favorite Trend From Pitti - Creased Jeans


Comments on "Favorite Trend From Pitti - Creased Jeans"

 

Blogger gabrielazeanadal@hotmail.com said ... (8:18 AM) : 

I always loved men wearing jeans with an elegant tailored jacket, but wearing them creased is giving them a touch that doesn't really go with their easygoing nature.

I like the shoes in the top picture and waist up, the man in the lower picture is just divine, wonderful. However, his jeans look as if they had shrunken a couple of sizes and he wanted or had to wear them anyway. Not a good idea...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:36 AM) : 

nice one sart. a proper yes and no in those two pics. the first looks great and is a nice way of wearing skinnier jeans, but the second pic! on my. no.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (8:52 AM) : 

I love the look of denim trousers ('jeans') paired with a pair of brogues. I occasionally adopt this look myself, even today. But creases in jeans? No, that doesn't work. As Gabriela points out, it contradicts the essential casualness of jeans. The point of wearing jeans with dressier clothing is that it makes the wearer look as though he doesn't give a f*** about the jeans; it's sort of a 'go to hell' attitude. But adding creases to the jeans makes him appear as if he cares too much.

 

Blogger Tord said ... (8:53 AM) : 

In my opinion, creased jeans are akin to pronouncing Target as "tar-zhay."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 AM) : 

Those shoes in the top photo are magnificent! And, for the first time I kinda think I could wear cropped jeans. But only if I have that exact pair of shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:00 AM) : 

yeah i didn't like the secong picture either. nice jeans but too short and the shoes won't do. however i do like the blazer - tie combo.

 

Blogger Dovid said ... (9:06 AM) : 

Waist up he's OK. The jacket is stunning (I love the vertical pockets!) and is perfectly matched to his beautiful shirt and tie. But it's also obvious that the jacket is several sizes too large. Even with his arms folded and the sleeves creased up, his wrists are entirely covered. If he'd lower his arms I bet they'd cover his knuckles, too! Same for the shoulders.

 

Blogger Luciernaka said ... (9:49 AM) : 

I have a question! I think this look, nice dark starchy jeans with OXFORDS, is the most beautiful "uniform" a person could wear almost everyday. I think it is a look that is elegant and feminine but functional and masculine at once.
But as I am a tall, thin, young WOMAN:

Alas! Where does a lady find a nice oxford shoe???

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:52 AM) : 

i think not.

 

Blogger Erin Curry said ... (10:07 AM) : 

creased jeans has a long tradition in the South at least where I grew up, worn more like the second photo though perhaps one size larger and a bit longer, though not too long for practical reasons. I'm loving the the skinny jean with cuff and classy shoes in the first pic.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:09 AM) : 

agree 100% with Gabriela!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 AM) : 

creasing jeans is the equivalent of starching your pajamas. this is a trend that should go immediately.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

like the shoes in the first picture..not so sure about the second one..a bit too washed out imo.

seems like what used to be a big no-no (creased jeans) is okay and even trendy now...i think it works better if the jeans are darker (e.g. the first picture)

 

Blogger Gentleman Farmer said ... (11:11 AM) : 

Both images portray a great look. The crease works for me. Gabriela, in my book jeans that are cut with such a straight leg should absolutely be worn tight and the length in the bottom image is just right for that cut. Had the jeans been boot cut then they absolutely would be to short. What I find most interesting is the rolled cuff on the top pic. I dig it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 AM) : 

Creased jeans conversation aside, look at the jacket. Maybe it is too big, but the handwarmer pocket detail is wonderful. What a great twist on a sport coat/outerwear combo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 AM) : 

we used to permanently crease our jeans here in NYC in the early 80's (in the neighborhoods, at least) .
is it coming back?
hmmmm......

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:40 AM) : 

love the first pic, not the second look. the dark jeans and fab wingtips are grand. for luciernaka, if you are in the USA, Nordstrom has tiny sized men's shoes like this sometimes. I see them at the outlet. I have a pale suede pair from Joan and David but they're years old.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:48 AM) : 

Egad.
If this is really a trend, it's a good illustration of the difference between trendy and stylish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 AM) : 

Nice bunch of comments. I can see it happening in the first picture as well. In the second, the shoes are too light, I think, and the pants a little too short. But I don't have a problem with creased jeans, per se. It's just another way of having a little fun with denim, and in some instances might tip the scale in favor of wearing jeans, where otherwise you might not.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:36 PM) : 

i LOVE the top photo. The richness in those colors is amazing - dark blue against the mahogany and the grey cement. crisp. what a beauty. love the cuff.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 PM) : 

We have been putting creases in jeans for decades with cowboy boots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 PM) : 

I'm a little proud to say that I've got a pair of the nice shoes in the first picture myself. For those who are interested: The brand is called Paul van Haagen (www.paulvanhaagen.com).
There's also a label on the box that reads "2-11-11-04 OLDBOXT.MORO". I bought them last June on sale, so I suppose that they were from the s/s collection. Hope that's of help in case of any serious interest.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:57 PM) : 

Creased jeans: my mom always ironed jeans. Should would have loved this!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:33 PM) : 

crisply-ironed jeans. i enjoy.

 

Blogger tintin said ... (3:30 PM) : 

When I was in the Army the guys from Texas all starched a crease into their jeans. And they drove Firebirds...or was it Camaros. Anyway, Rev. Dick kinda reminds me of them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:33 PM) : 

I think everyone that is hating on the bottom picture is crazy!!! That ensemble is brilliant, and Sart, the photography-stunning! One of my favorite pics of 08 so far! He looks calculated, comfortable, casual, and classy!

 

Blogger Miss Cavendish said ... (4:00 PM) : 

Creased jeans are one of those "style" quirks that make me squirm. It's just so wrong that it can't be right, even in a geek chic way.

So unless those are natural creases made by your cowgirl/boy boots, please crumple your jeans immediately! And if there's a tell-tale white mark down the front of your leg, perhaps it's time for a new pair of jeans. Please!

 

Blogger suzannemarques said ... (4:07 PM) : 

i kinda like the top picture. i like the shoes, the cuff & even the crease! the lower picture looks like his jeans need one inch of length.

 

Blogger Persephone said ... (4:14 PM) : 

These are the kinds of details I really go for - of course the idea of a creased jean seems contradictory! That's why it's so interesting. Fashion is all about contrast and contradiction. I love the idea of jeans masquerading as something more than they are. It's very poetic, in a way.

That being said, I think the legs in the first picture pull the look off in a more natural way - the second look looks a little stiff, or more contrived, to me. Perhaps it's the light wash of the jean.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:43 PM) : 

I love how the creased jeans look in the top photo, but on the bottom it looks like two halves of different men pasted together, and it doesn't work as a whole.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (6:47 PM) : 

I love this look. It's so clean and modern-looking to me.

Wait, it also reminds me of my dad in the '50s and '60s. Maybe it's retro.

Oh, who cares! It's brilliant!

 

Blogger Cory said ... (6:53 PM) : 

Creased jeans - your favorite trend at Pitti? Weird...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:59 PM) : 

I don't know about the crease on jeans, but I do love dark jeans with a wide cuff, especially with those shoes. Luciernaka: if you are tall, can you not wear men's oxfords?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:20 PM) : 

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. The creases look completely self-conscious and precious, and one must question the neediness of the perpetrators to be so desperately seeking satorial attention. For god's sake, the very material is not amenable to ironing/pressing, with the thickness of the cotton hindering the effort to give it structure. And let's not forget the cultural root of jeans...which was as workwear. Way too fashiony and not at all flattering.

 

Blogger reverend dick said ... (8:27 PM) : 

Well thanks, Tintin. I am from the great state of Texas. But I don't crease my jeans no more.That said, the fella in the 1st pic does pull it off...and they were T-Top Firebirds, Smokey.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 PM) : 

those shoes reminds me to my grandather, he had the same

 

Blogger lauren ashley said ... (12:54 AM) : 

L O V E the depth of field and angle of this shot. brava! :)

i am a TREMENDOUS (new) fan of your's, by the by.
your blog/photos kept me VERY amused and inspired today whilst bored at work.

i aspire ...

 

Blogger DeepBlueSea said ... (1:35 AM) : 

Creased jeans? No no no thank you!

Jeans are inherently casual and a crease just reads 'wrong'.

Besides, I already do plenty of ironing with my shirts.

 

Blogger MELI. said ... (3:24 AM) : 

those shoes, at top I love, I could wear at all times. I actually enjoy the bottom picture and how the jeans nicely fit at ancles and are pressed as well, now if please SF boys will take note to both photos, id go out for coffee even ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:54 AM) : 

Agreed with Mr. Texas Army... if you're into creased jeans, head down to South Texas to a Country/Western or Tejano concert or dance hall.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 AM) : 

Grew up near East L.A. in the 60's & 70's. Starched, creased and 1 inch cuffed jeans aka "Huggy Boy" (Latin version of American Bandstand)were de rigueur with Homeboys & homegirls. I now live in New York and still iron my jeans w/creases to this day!

Interesting how some elements of fashion filter up the ladder.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 AM) : 

the top pic is my idea of how to wear denim, and i LOVE the wingtips. Where do i find a great pair like these and not spend the entire rebate check "W" will be sending me?

 

Blogger ricpic said ... (12:45 PM) : 

The sport jacket and jeans look can work great on a young man but beyond a certain age - say 40 to 45 depending on the youthfulness of the man in question - it looks affected. Maybe an older man can get away with the look if he pairs the sport jacket with a tee shirt or mock/full turtleneck, but shirt and tie with jeans? fuhgedaboudit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

I'm not sure I like it, but I guess it's about time. We've long been creasing trousers made of moleskin, corduroy, drill and the like, and those all started out as workwear just as denim did. Maybe this just reflects the fact that it is now accepted to wear jeans in a wider range of situations.

 

Blogger Dcode88 said ... (2:57 PM) : 

WOW!

like both pics but am really into the shoes and the deep blue of the first photo. Makes you wonder what the guy is wearing on top!

 

Blogger leather girl said ... (3:29 PM) : 

I neither hate nor love this creased denim idea, but I do appreciate the juxtaposition. I prefer it in the first photo because it reads as a denim trouser, especially with the cuff. If you take the top half of the gentleman in the second photo and pair it with the dark jeans on top... that would be a smashing outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:26 PM) : 

Deal-breakers....I would NOT go out with a guy who creased his jeans, period, no matter what else he had going on, same if he had a manicure with shiny, clear nailpolish. I bet he turns up the collar of his Izod shirts, too.

 

Blogger AdamfromVA said ... (4:54 PM) : 

dope clothes, horrible pose

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:07 PM) : 

The first picture is done well, but not so much in the second. I think creased jeans should only go with dark washed jeans. I'd like to see the rest of the look in the first picture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:19 PM) : 

the jacket is great, so is the tie with the shirt. but jeans in combination with a tie just don't work!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 AM) : 

no! I live in Lubbock. Unless you're wearing wranglers or want to look like a cowboy, don't wear your jeans with a crease. I didn't even know this was or could ever be a trend. . .

Also, creased jeans or not, I don't understand what's going on in that second pic. The guy's wearing a spread collar (which is, I think, a pretty dressy collar) with a tie (knot might be too small for the spread collar) . . . and jeans? Yet, even with this weird combination he still looks good. I think that's just because he's an inherently attractive gentleman though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 AM) : 

I like the top ptcture,the jeans look nice with the well kept shoes.

 

Blogger no name said ... (2:09 AM) : 

Caterpillar Worker Boots, Isn't a great idea.

 

Blogger Nigel Kong said ... (2:15 AM) : 

NOOOOO...

I'm having flash backs of my older brother ironing the creases into his jeans back in the early 80's...

I believe in having a sense of "structure" in the look of jeans and hard denim can provide an added sense of refinement...

But the crease goes against the casual ethos of denim... it's supposed to be effortless and carefree...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:04 AM) : 

Fulton Mall. Brooklyn. Mid to Late 90's. The only type of jean you would see were dark and creased. So sharp you had to wear garden gloves just to put them on. This is what I love most about trends; they always have a way of coming full circle. When worn correctly the creased jean executes a variety of fashion concepts. Bottom pic: sorry Charlie. Top pic: Me Likey.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:54 AM) : 

Creased jeans in dark blue denim and with cuffs and high heels, with a crisp white tailored ruffle shirt could be tried out by Giovanna, she would look great I bet. I am too short and round.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:52 AM) : 

I'm a little surprised by the discussion over creased jeans. I (and others around me) have worn them like that for years now. Where have the rest of you been?

So, the first pic. Very nice. I have both shoes and jeans like that.

Second pic. Give me a break. Why doesn't anyone tell the poor fellow that his jeans are too small? Seriously.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

A tie certainly can be worn with jeans, but the difficulty with this outfit is the combination of a light grey tie with a light grey shirt and a light grey jacket and light blue jeans.
I would suggest a much darker jacket, and a search through one's tie collection for something stronger.
I guess I'm about the same age as this gentleman, and although it hurts me to say it,he's too old for what he's wearing at present

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

I really like the rich looking shoes against the dark narrow deep blue jeans in the top picture.

The fellow on the bottom looks well from the waist up (newscaster chick) but the bottom half does not match. I don't mind jeans with a tie, but those jeans are very casual (tight with a light wash) if not for the crease. I'd prefer an uncreased wider dark-wash jean if he wanted to pair it that way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:49 PM) : 

the guy in the second picture is hot. i dont know though what hes doing wearing what hes wearing. as for creased jeans - neither a trend from pitti nor a good look in most cases

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:26 PM) : 

Second pic is a great photograph, i seriously love it. the only thing i can't get is the outfit... it looks almost like two entirely different people sown together at the waist.

first pic; WOW! that is totally not my style, but it looks GREAT.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:09 PM) : 

the guy in the bottom photo looks like he's flashing. its because of the mismatched top and bottom halves of him. its like someone photoshopped a suited conservative's torso onto a cowboy's legs.

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (6:52 AM) : 

I love the combination and looks but the crease? no way. It goes against everything jeans stand for. ANd it does not look good either.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:44 AM) : 

haha noooo!!! It reminds me of when my well meaning dad, bless him, ironed creases into my jeans when I was a teen (the man hasn't worn denim since he was an engineer on a building site in the 70s. He's a corporate dude). Creases go against the whole idea of jeans. That said, the combination in the top photo is great (minus the crease!).

 

Blogger Victor said ... (10:22 PM) : 

I don't like the creased/pressed jeans look. However I think in general the classic brougues and denim look is great and definatlely a staple in mens wardrobe. In the 1st pic, I would prefer a more tan/burnished colour of the brogues like Trickers to set against denim although this dark brown (looks burgundy?)and dark denim combination is ok. I am also not sure about the way its being cuffed. From the looks of it the denim looks like it has a sheen to it, which suggest something more lightweight, personally I'd wear heavier gauge denim of 14.5oz.

On the 2nd pic the crease line really spoils the look of faded denim. Cut and fit wise it works very well for the wearer. Shoes are slightly off in my opinion. They look like suede chukkas/desert boots or nubucks but with a sole thats too thick.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 PM) : 

Wish I knew the makes of the shoes; very cool with the jeans; what a pose !!!

 

Blogger Carlo Salgado said ... (5:20 PM) : 

In my opinion, creased jeans have never looked good. I've been seeing guys with creased jeans the past 10 years, never appealing. Jeans should be washed, hung dry and worn for weeks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:52 PM) : 

creased jeans common since the '80's esspecially in cowboy country..along with bankers..and starched shirt collars..I'm a stylist and its cool if youre cool..

 

Blogger Dill Pickles said ... (11:32 PM) : 

Agree with the previous comment "it's cool if you're cool". Reminded me of how frustrated I used to get when hotel laundry would return my jeans creased. I guess I'm not cool. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 AM) : 

Love the dark wash in the first pic. The second look isn't my favorite but many compliments on the photo. The stone jaw and the confident pose, the various horizontal architectural lines, perfect.

 

Blogger nidyawiguno said ... (5:50 AM) : 

wow, love the oxford shoes!

 

Blogger MRA said ... (6:47 AM) : 

I love the shoes in the top picture, my favorites to wear ....for woman too

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting