This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Sweater Dress -ing, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sweater Dress -ing, Paris


Knit dresses can be so great IF you have perfect shape around the hips and butt. Otherwise they can often just draw attention to the area that women are most self-conscious about.

I think this young lady does a great job finding a knit dress that feels every bit as cozy and comfy as you want a knit dress to feel in the Fall and yet it draws attention to her legs and not her hips.

Misdirection most well-played.

Comments on "Sweater Dress -ing, Paris"

 

Blogger tn said ... (11:29 AM) : 

Love the boots too. You are so right, the dress is perfect on this girl.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Oddly, I'd want a sweater dress to fit more snug and I've got hips for days and days and...Further, in my culture, it's acceptably beautilicious.

The thinking is if you're gonna go "chunky" with a sweater dress, then go all out and mix it with a large belt. Go small/dainty on the shoe and hair accessories.

mltt

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:34 AM) : 

looks like chloe sevigny

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 AM) : 

she's Chloe Sevigny..
You must know her come on !! the new face of Chloe ?? for the perfume ???

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 AM) : 

Chunky knits are so chic... But this thing about the butt is really true, I've seen it happen tragically. So very happy with the subtility of my curves jeje.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:49 AM) : 

Yes, I know who she is but I didn't really figure it mattered to the point I was making.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (11:53 AM) : 

it's my future wife...Chloe Sevigny!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:05 PM) : 

You're right, it does show off her legs to great effect.

I do think she could stand to belt it, or really...to have bought a size smaller. I don't think this lady has anything to hide or conceal, as
a.) she is perfectly slender
and
b.) I don't find hips to be something to conceal, but to accentuate.

Isn't this season all about the resurgence of the "Lady-like" hourglass silhouette?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:06 PM) : 

Chloe is beautiful, and she looks fierce. Love the shoes. zexy

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (12:15 PM) : 

Emily
I'm not saying it is about hiding the hips
usually what women do wrong is the technical stuff like the wrong shape or poorly fitting underwear with a very snug dress

the same is true for bras.

often the problem is not the dress itself but the undergarments.

Would you agree?

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (12:15 PM) : 

Emily
I'm not saying it is about hiding the hips
usually what women do wrong is the technical stuff like the wrong shape or poorly fitting underwear with a very snug dress

the same is true for bras.

often the problem is not the dress itself but the undergarments.

Would you agree?

 

Blogger Kiki said ... (12:42 PM) : 

If I could find a sweater dress with a cut like that, I would wear it all winter long.

I personally think a belt would be wrong for this. Sometimes a nice waist is the perfect accessory.

 

Blogger Julia said ... (2:05 PM) : 

At first I was like "She's Chloe Sevigny's twin" But judging by the comments she is Chloe, haha. I think this is one of the first few outfits I've ever liked on her. It's also an unusual colour but it looks great on her.

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (2:10 PM) : 

like the chloe boots!
don't like much the queen of hipster town.

 

Blogger Lily Glover said ... (2:20 PM) : 

I agree with the sartorialist. What makes this garment work is that she has gone for a looser fit taking focus away from the hips and putting the spotlight on her gorgeous legs. Love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:22 PM) : 

How ridiculous! you don't credit Cloe Sevigny.
c'mon.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (2:40 PM) : 

I love her look! It's perfect!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:14 PM) : 

and that thick knit is the hardest to wear. One MUST be thin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:29 PM) : 

Sart, that's an excellent point (re: undergarments). People have actually emailed me asking about the same thing: how to "wear" a knit dress. As grandmotherly as some people might find it...slips can be the answer (they are for me anyway).

And you're right...the right bra and undies are obviously especially essential with knits.

 

Blogger londondog said ... (3:29 PM) : 

Effortless and lovely. She is always somehow a step ahead of the trend.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 PM) : 

True, and I like the colour on her. She looks like Chloe Sevigny, and if it is her, then kudos because I often find her looks rather hit-and-miss.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:36 PM) : 

i love that dress with that boots. just simple and perfect.

 

Blogger Jael Paris said ... (3:44 PM) : 

I'm a curvy girl with a deep love of sweater dresses. Unfortunately, they hate me. They climb up over my hips and bunch at my stomach. However, I'd love to find a dress like hers in a different color.

 

Blogger the style crusader said ... (4:27 PM) : 

i LOVE this look.
i wish i could find a jumper-dress exactly like that. ohhh... the texture is so perfect. i love how thick and chunky it is but without long sleeves, it really makes the proportions work. the shoes are so cool with it too. i think a belt would kill it. here, in england, belts are such an overkill - from beckam-ish waisted to yuppy-mummy wide leather hip slung...
way better with out. that's the whole point of it, isn't it?
am loving short and wide tops with loooong legs and booties. perfect fall look. exactly what i want to wear tomorrow!!

 

Blogger Andy said ... (5:44 PM) : 

I am not sure that I've ever seen Chloe Sevigny look bad. She has such a way with mixing and matching carelessly. A definite indie girl. I think if she belted that chunky knit dress it would be tragic. The color and texture of the dress are priceless. It looks great as is. Also love the retro sunglasses!

 

Blogger Anna-Lyssa said ... (5:49 PM) : 

yes, undergarments are definitely tricky when it comes to sweater dressing. and this look is one way to avoid all the hassle and worry of it and still get to sweater-dress.
i love this on her, i love the boots, i love the clutch, but i dearly wish her legs were covered with something, chloe sevigny or not. i can think of a thousand stocking ideas to go with this outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:58 PM) : 

i think it's more about a good, visually appealing line than hiding or not hiding a body part or parts. and i think your point is well made. the dress fits her well and looks good on. sweater dresses usually look clunky to me, and this does not.

 

Blogger pearlaceous said ... (6:00 PM) : 

I love it!! Very comfy and chic, I thought she must be Chloe Sevginy.. She really knows how to show off her legs, you always see her wearing short hemlines..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:10 PM) : 

Chloe's choice is excellent (re: Emily's post). The size is perfect for someone who wants to look casually elegant, without having to feel self-conscious and uncomfortable when trekking across Paris to attend shows. Even if silhouettes are becoming slimmer, who wants to wear restrictive clothing all the time? The choice of this sweater (size and all) is great. It's not too sacky, nor is it too restrictive.

 

Blogger meg said ... (6:24 PM) : 

i LOVE the look [and her naturally]... this color's fab - i never used to wear it thinking it would make my skin look drab but i was def wrong, i always get complements when i wear it :]

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:45 PM) : 

the onnnly issue i have with this post is you saying the "perfect" shape around the hips and butt. you might say a knit dress could be unflattering - because it can highlight a larger thigh/derrière area, but why is that unflattering? she clearly wears this dress beautifully, especially with the boots, but i want to feel great when i go out in a similar dress despite my larger rear (which i love!)
just beware of the word perfect... i would say.
but i love your stuff nonetheless!

 

Blogger --- said ... (6:52 PM) : 

Is that chloe sevigny? Looks like her.

I love this outfit. The boots, the knitted pattern, the colour...it's all so simple, yet deliciously refined, youthful, and exciting.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (7:02 PM) : 

for Allie
you are defining "perfect" for me or what you think my definition of "perfect is- I never stated what I think "perfect" is

for me, perfect is a smooth line - size is relative to the over all body shape.

I will be careful with the word "perfect" if you are careful and read what i have actually written.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (7:15 PM) : 

I love the dark mustard-y color of the dress and the chunky knit (on someone slim). I'm usually not crazy about Chloe's choices, but this works.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:01 PM) : 

I agree with you on a smooth line - definitely important, if not essential.

it is possible, even probable, that the idea that perfection = slender colored my reading of your post.

sometimes, though, trends can be unforgiving, and more often than not, unforgiving for the more voluptuous. just wanted to put my thoughts out there!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:06 PM) : 

sart,
please give us your advice on getting a knit dress, what is the point of the dress that drew attention not on the hips?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 PM) : 

i knitted a tubular top - length to the hips from vogue knitting mag. looked great in print, but dreadful on me...boobs looked yuk, and accentuated my pot belly, which is not a large one, but looked magnified x10. the wool has been relegated to another project!

p.s. sart thankyou for your comments on negative postings, it helps to understand why you screen out some of the less flattering (to the captured subject) comments that i, and i take it a lot more others, make. now i know that its not gratuitous 'butt kissing' as anon 7.23 put it...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 AM) : 

This dress seems so ordinary and yet demands one's attention with the knitting intricacies. Maybe I just do not like it because it reminds of the high school girls near my home, who prance about in nothing but sweaters paired with cheap leather boots.

However, the character Chloe breathes into her outfit makes it worthy of a picture, in my opinion. I just cannot help but wonder whether it is the girl, and not the sweater dress that is making this photo...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:14 AM) : 

The dress is ok but I don´t fancy the color. She could have chosen some other boots,now when we know who she is Overall not really fascinated about this one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 AM) : 

I love the cable pattern on this dress! The chunky knit and loose fit look absolutely gorgeous on a thin, perfectly proportioned woman with great legs, so of course, Chloe looks fantastic. I can't pull it off, being fat and old, so I think I'll knit a throw with this lovely cable pattern for the back of my sofa.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:53 PM) : 

It's funny that you posted this because I tried on a sweater dress for the first time yesterday and walked out of the dressing room feeling ashamed. It looked so great on the rack, but overemphasized my stomach and panty line (like you mentioned) once I tried it on. Hopefully I'll find one with a more flattering cut. I really adore Chloe's simple look above with the boots.

T.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:19 PM) : 

She looks great. She has the perfect body to wear this. I think these sweater dresses have to be worn loose and easy as she does. Those biker boots just punch it up a bit and actually flatter the leg by making them look leaner.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

Dear Sart. I agree - some clothes just suit a form fitting, hip grabbing look. Others do not, and this sweater dress look is really not meant to grab around the butt and hips. Not a good look.

 

Blogger Reiki pela vida said ... (8:14 PM) : 

I'd like to knit it.

Wish I knew how.

 

Blogger Hebden said ... (8:35 PM) : 

Not to be picky but this isn't Chloe S. choosing perfect clothes...this is Chloe S. wearing a dress and boots by the same designer...Chloe. Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong in that but as one of the new faces of Chloe's perfume she's more a house model in this outfit than a woman who chose her own look.

Having said that, she looks wonderful...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 PM) : 

Love the dress, love the boots. Would love them even more with tights.

 

Blogger 975089 said ... (2:50 AM) : 

i would like to start a vendetta against the waistbelt for a short while. i love how shes worn this dress WITHOUT a belt...and i love its chunky heaviness.

 

Blogger Philippine said ... (7:18 AM) : 

isn't she chloe sevigny? a franco-american actress I think.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 AM) : 

I love the individual elements of this look - the colour, the boots, the heavy chunkiness of the knit but I'm going to stick my neck out and say that over all, I don't think they work together. I keep feeling she's just pulled on a really big sweater. I think it needs a belt. Or maybe tights.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 PM) : 

I am not always a fan of Chloe's style as I often think it is tryhard, but I adore this look. The sweater dress is amazing, especially the color.

Regarding some of the comments about her identity, I don't think it is necessary to mention a celebrity's name in a post (for example if it is just a picture with no commentary), but IMO it is weird to refer to her as a "young lady" rather than by name.

Love this one!

 

Blogger Kiki said ... (12:36 PM) : 

I am not sure why it is weird to refer to her as "young lady" perhaps the point was not about who it WAS but what she was wearing? People who knew who she was did and those who did not asked.

Sometimes once you have the name it takes away from the clothes? Like the references to her style choices of the past, or her trying to hard...indie blah,blah.

I think I like not having that additional information. It forces you to focus on style first.

Which is the point.
But that is my opinion.

 

Blogger liutauras said ... (1:32 PM) : 

this "young lady" is Chloe Sevigny

 

Blogger Zeitgeist said ... (1:50 PM) : 

Funnt... Chloe wearing Chloe from tip to toe... Love the Chloe line this fall... The mustards and the rugged boots...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:07 AM) : 

did you recognize CHLOE SEVIGNY....?

 

Blogger Chi-Chi and the Greek Vintage said ... (5:55 PM) : 

Oh, This is in fact, Chloe Sevigny, they featured this photo in December Vogue!!

 

Blogger Mimi said ... (11:18 AM) : 

Wow this woman looks like Chloe Sevigny

 

Blogger goia said ... (4:28 PM) : 

she looks great! chunky dress in great colour...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:06 PM) : 

chloe looks good on chloe

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 AM) : 

sorry for the very late comment but i like very much chloe savigny's style,and this picture is a very good example how a woman can be sexy in a very subtle way,not like other so called stars...
she really have her own style

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:55 PM) : 

It does look like something Chloe would wear.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting