This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....The Elegant Biker, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

On the Street.....The Elegant Biker, Paris

I love the umbrella over the handle bars

Comments on "On the Street.....The Elegant Biker, Paris"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:40 AM) : 

The only way this photo could be better would have been if you planned it. i'm assuming you didn't. If you did, don't tell me. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

And BTW........... the gentleman in the photo is perfect.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (9:42 AM) : 

Nice photo, Scott. Beautiful suit, haircut, and monk shoes. You would never see American businessmen riding a bicycle in this fashion. For one thing, they are too fat for bikes. This French chap has style!

 

Blogger Susan B said ... (9:50 AM) : 

I just love everything about this picture. Gorgeous!

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (9:53 AM) : 

Nice shot. He looks like he's from Italy

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (9:54 AM) : 

Not so unusual in Paris, but this would be unimaginable in the U.S. Too bad...

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Anon 9:40
if you notice the background, this gentleman rode up while I was shooting people at the Dries Van Noten show.

I had forgotten about this shot b/c it was so quickly done while my focus was on something else

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:58 AM) : 

I disagree

Two of the most chic NYC men I know both often ride their bikes to work.

Actually I am going to shoot them for my GQ page with their tips to chic biking

one of them I shot recently with the heading "Midtown Man"

 

Blogger ricpic said ... (9:59 AM) : 

Great photo and what makes it so great? The guy's smile.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 AM) : 

Well .. we've had to cope with the strike in the public transportation ... He looks real great. I did the same, in full hair and make up, with my Vuitton back pack, in the traffic jam to go to the office ... Daring French people, aren't we ;-))
Great picture.

 

Blogger spring flowers said ... (10:31 AM) : 

love the shot of color on his wrist from the red watch band. Beautiful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:03 AM) : 

This is just GREAT! I wish I rode a bike with such style : )

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

he looks smashing! is he pointing to his umbrella-ella-ella?

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (12:47 PM) : 

I'm crushing on this one!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52 PM) : 

I love the red band on his watch.

 

Blogger Pauspling said ... (1:12 PM) : 

Ahh...more vintage. Very handsome gentleman.

 

Blogger Jayce said ... (1:27 PM) : 

he is saying, "check out my umbrella!"

 

Blogger ek said ... (1:48 PM) : 

Why is cycling in regular clothes still such an oddity? I think it's a very dignified way to get around, yet still get evil glances from people in cars.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:20 PM) : 

I love the foliage and the perfectly vintage bike. This gentleman is obviously on his way to a lunchtime meeting to discuss the modern, green businessman.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:38 PM) : 

I love the idea of this, an elegant man, ready for work, on a bike. I am curious how it actually works. I can't tell if his bike has fenders. If I did this, I would be afraid I'd arrive at work with mud splatters all over my backside. I can imagine how much easier it is to find parking and beating traffic jams. I drive 25 miles to work each way in the upper Midwest, so I don't think it would be practical, but I do love the idea.

 

Blogger Travel the World with Me said ... (3:04 PM) : 

i don't know...that just screams accident waiting to happen all over it. but, yes, very old school looking. I like it. I wish people in the states rode their bikes more in suits.

 

Blogger Ammie said ... (3:25 PM) : 

the sartorialist said: I disagree

Two of the most chic NYC men I know both often ride their bikes to work.

Actually I am going to shoot them for my GQ page with their tips to chic biking

one of them I shot recently with the heading "Midtown Man"


Bravo! I get tired of bashing Americans as fatasses who are also ALL hateful of smoking! ;) Biking in style is something I see very often. Maybe, granted, not as much as in Europe or Japan, but it's here.

I eagerly await your page in GQ!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:32 PM) : 

What park is this? I live in Paris but that park seems so much more wild than most of the ones around, I'd love to visit it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 PM) : 

Riding a bike in your everyday suit is very European, some of the commentators say. We Europeans don't change clothes before getting on the bike, we just ride the bike with the clothes we're wearing. Is that different from what American men do? Have American men bike-suits or bike-clothing? That sounds strange to me.

Watch out, all you peolpe who want to ride bike with your umbrella on the handles! It takes exercise to do that, you'll easily fall. If this gent steers to the right strongly, the umbrella claps behind the back of the front wheel, if he wants to steer back, the umbrella will avoid it. Bang! On the ground he'll be - not very stylish indeed.

Baz

 

Blogger Ely said ... (5:12 PM) : 

Perfect, funny, the best

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:13 PM) : 

I agree, he looks Italian, and a very charming one endeed.

Love, love, love that setting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 PM) : 

A delight! This gentleman is so handsome, it hardly seems fair that he also has wonderful clothes and a wonderful bike. More than just a pretty face for sure!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:16 PM) : 

I'm going to buy that mag about men ridding a bike with style. I recently red an article in French Marie Claire (I'm not 100% if it was Marie Claire, but it was French for sure) about ladies cucling with style. It will be so fun to compare both!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:31 PM) : 

Perfect photo: Everything about the outfit and the accessories (inclduing the bike!)The best part is how cheerful he looks. Love it!

I am about the begin a Masters in Fashion Merchandising In Jan. I look at your Blog every day and each day I get some more enthusiasm for fashion and excitement about my new endeavour. Thanks Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 PM) : 

Pretty common thing to do over here in Tokyo as well - rode my bike to work yesterday with the full kit and briefcase in the basket :>)

This gentleman appears to be having a bit of fun having his photo taken. Nice watchband. Accessories such umbrellas, watches and fountain pens are something I've not seen discussed here much. I have a feeling many people take great care in their daily selection and use. Cheers for the photo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:09 PM) : 

To Baz,

Stylish people are stylish even when they fall to the ground. I guess the secret relies on self confidence and some sence of humor. Thanks for your security tips dough.

Gabriela

 

Blogger Butch said ... (6:57 PM) : 

Elegant indeed! There's something very wonderful about dressing up and then mounting and riding your bike--and mit briefcase.

 

Blogger DeepBlueSea said ... (11:25 PM) : 

Formidable!

(That's about the limit of my school French.)

Here's to stylish folks on 2 wheels!

Bike fans MUST check out these two superb blogs on biking in Copenhagen:

http://copenhagengirlsonbikes.blogspot.com/

and its sister blog,

http://cycleliciousness.blogspot.com/

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 PM) : 

Oh, me too! i love the umbrella hanging like that. this pictures is so alive in every way it makes me feel like singing! jeje :) thanx, Sart.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:46 PM) : 

i wish more people rode bikes here in Sao Paulo. But we'd have to re-urbanize the city i guess... :( myself, i walk and use public transportation in style. ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:26 AM) : 

You actually see this on a fairly regular basis here in San Francisco. However, this is a sophisticated, cultured city with weather that lends itself to such activities.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:46 AM) : 

I love this photo, not only is he well-dressed but he knows how to bike, it's like he's saying, "look sart one hand!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 AM) : 

yes perfecto!!!! I can look at this pic all day and smile :D


Thanks

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 AM) : 

This is so fantastic that it looks like a shot from a movie. This genetleman could not be any more impeccable if he tried. I'm loving all the little details, the red-strap wrist watch, I mean come on!!

Perfect suit, shoes, coat and smile. I might officially adorn this as one of my favourites, if anyone cares!

Energie

 

Blogger T.P.W. said ... (12:06 PM) : 

I've been coming to your site each and every day since I first found out about it. This is my favorite picture to date. Only a handsome and dignified man could make the simple task of riding a bicycle look so stylish and elegant. Bravo!!!!

 

Blogger M. said ... (12:17 PM) : 

all in the french red watchband......
(yes it is not just simple red but a somewhat stronger classic red color done on french leather ''lancel'' would be the perfect example)
reminds me this other pic of yours in milan of that italian art director with the red briefcase...
chapeau!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

yesss, bikes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:01 PM) : 

I agree with jack daniel, he looks more italian than parisian to me. what a great outfit he has on, and that bicycle! and the umbrella! but the best is his big smile. I want him to be my banker or whatever it is he does.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:30 PM) : 

I love this shot, and the one above it. It's the smiles!

 

Blogger Bob Hall said ... (8:26 PM) : 

In the US you are (unfortunately) either a "cyclist" or you are not. Even commuters here wear tons of spandex for their 5-mile commutes. There are a lot of folks (me included) who would like to see more "People on Bikes", which is where normal people who don't consider themselves to be "cyclists" use bikes to get around town. In the car-dominated US this is pretty tough, but with rising gas prices and increased congestion it is starting to make sense in many urban areas -- New York City, for example. So hopefully we'll start to see more guys and gals in suits, skirts, jeans, whatever using bikes to get around. From an environmental, health, social, financial point of view this makes sense. And now apparently it also works from a fashion point of view!

 

Blogger Ali B. said ... (9:50 PM) : 

I really love that you include so many shots of bikes. With that said, I always imagine the worst for the individuals ---- heads colliding with solid things in a congested city street!

Do you suppose in the US we don't see so many on bikes because we are ultra concerned about bicycle safety & the "look" of being fully dressed in work attire would be ruined by the unfashionable helmet? I must admit that ever since I started mountain bike racing, I cringe at the thought of riding out of my driveway without helmet, padded shorts, & clipless pedals! And with my poor luck & list of injuries, I definitely need to sport a helmet... maybe even while driving... walking... (wink)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:19 AM) : 

WOW !!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:56 PM) : 

I think that one of the reasons people in the US don't ride bikes is the distance. We're all in a hurry, and don't have so much leisure time to bike ride in to work, instead of driving there on the highway.

Additionally, have you tried riding bikes in the US? First, people in cars will curse you if you're in their way. Then, when you're trying not to get hit by a car, you'll end up with your handlebars in your gut, because you didn't notice the speed bump. In addition to this, it is hard for motorists to notice bicycles on the road, so you are definitely taking your life in your hands. The roads are very hazardous for bicyclists.

I wonder if we could do something about creating an infrastructure for bicycles.

As for the gentleman in the picture - what a beautiful place to ride. He looks great in his business attire, still neat and tidy. Even his hair is not messed up. I also like the umbrella as well as the brief case.

 

Blogger OTC said ... (11:30 PM) : 

Absolutely perfect...

 

Blogger Seattle Bites said ... (7:19 PM) : 

This is what I aspire to be.

 

Blogger leafy lady said ... (9:24 AM) : 

Ahh, what wondrous monk straps!
perfect picture really, the bicycle complements the outfit, makes this dapper gentleman look even more european.

 

Anonymous Océ said ... (11:29 AM) : 

It's my Dad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amazing !!

I totally agree this picture is perfect beacause HE IS PERFECT ! smart, funny, always elegant....
Love u dady !

xoxo
O.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting