This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

UPDATE On the Street.....Soho, NYC

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, November 15, 2007

UPDATE On the Street.....Soho, NYC


I didn't realize until after I took the shot (and she mentioned it) that this is the same young lady that I shot last May.

Comments on "UPDATE On the Street.....Soho, NYC"

 

Blogger Nor said ... (8:35 AM) : 

Sheila's genius.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:35 AM) : 

Lovely, she must be a model! However, I must say the shoes are a bit too sophisticated for the rest of the out fit, they don't match with the simple elegant style of the top and the pants.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (8:55 AM) : 

The hat, the baggy pants, the boots...she looks great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:03 AM) : 

I love the shoes on her, it's very hard to pull off a thing like that and she does it without a sweat, no gothvibes, just fab!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:09 AM) : 

Fantastic photograph. Love how you've constructed it with the green 'canopy', works beautifully with her colours and ... her!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:28 AM) : 

Sheila Marquez! Je l'adore!

-Stefania

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 AM) : 

Great photo! I love the autumn colours...

 

Blogger ricpic said ... (9:42 AM) : 

She's not tall enough? She has to add another 5 inches?

 

Blogger The Glossy Editor said ... (9:45 AM) : 

So funny - I saw her in Soho yesterday and was loving her outfit! Surprised I didn't see you Sart?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

this is one of your best photos yet: the pigeons, the tree color, select leaves in the street, the white light reflection on the cobble stone, the federal style building in the background, the red awning on the left, the blue awning on the right, the red in the shop on the right, the yellow marking on the van (matches the tree), the back half of the van, ----not to mention the subject's style - well done!

P.S. What street in Soho is this, I would like to take a jaunt by there.

Alex S., NYC

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (10:01 AM) : 

Thanks Alex S

I think it was Thompson and Spring
I know it was one block West of W. Broadway on Spring (is that Thompson)

 

Blogger Anne Corrons said ... (10:06 AM) : 

I do love her huge red bag!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 AM) : 

I think I 'get' the huge handbag thing now. It looks right when, as pictured here and in several recent posts, there is actually stuff in it that needs to be carried in a huge bag. It looks silly when women simply carry around an empty huge bag for fashion's sake.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:44 AM) : 

I saw her a couple of weeks ago in Union Square wearing all black and she was just as striking. She is truly stunning in person.

 

Blogger livie xoxo said ... (10:56 AM) : 

i love the mix of shapes,and her brave choice of footwear: great change from the black stiletto boot seen everywhere.

she looks put together without looking like a slave to the season's best pieces: j'adore!!

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (10:58 AM) : 

Beautiful personal style!
This is how gamin looks nowdays.
Agree about the framing and background, really nice street settting...it almost looks like NYC is clean.

 

Blogger Diego Cervantes said ... (11:02 AM) : 

I love the shoes and her, Sheila is beatufil.

 

Blogger Eva. said ... (11:05 AM) : 

love it

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:12 AM) : 

Great style, all she´s wearing is chic and at the same time it looks confortable.The high heels look comfy and the big bag is perfect for somebody who has lots of things to do.

It´s so difficult to find people (specially women) who are stylishly dressed and at the same time look at ease and not contrived in their clothes, like they could be all day in an attire.

Soooo cool, great find Sart!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:15 AM) : 

gorgeous girl of course, but the clothes dominate what there might be of a personality underneath

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 AM) : 

Gorgeous girl, and that jacket is wonderful.

I'm amazed how many expensive designer bags turn into shapeless sacks as soon as you put something in them. (Witness the green bag with the bowling-shoes lady as well.) This one has feet on it -- as if it could stand up! Which I'm sure it did beautifully when stuffed with nothing but tissue paper.

But I digress. She looks great, bag issues aside.

 

Blogger ojhofer said ... (11:27 AM) : 

Nice oversized look on her, I particularly like the red bag and boots. I’m finally here in NY mr. schuman, will head to soho later to look out for fashionable newyorkers. Hopefully to chance upon the legendary sartorialist too :)

 

Blogger londondog said ... (11:33 AM) : 

Chloe boots - I am sooooo jealous!

Don't like the matching bag and shoes thing though. It somehow takes the edge off this, well.. edgy outfit..

 

Blogger kimayo said ... (11:41 AM) : 

she's good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 AM) : 

I care for nothing but the SHOES, OMG!!

 

Blogger kimayo said ... (11:47 AM) : 

i especially like how she toys with different styles, but not so much that they clash.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 PM) : 

A nice girl. All except the pants are ok. Don´t like the color nor the shape of them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:40 PM) : 

Lovely photo! adorable girl!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:52 PM) : 

Very much a modern day Katherine Hepburn. Love it.

 

Blogger Julia said ... (1:55 PM) : 

I love the tree and the red in the background, her outfit is nice. But it's the setting that makes it pop for me. Great image!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (2:08 PM) : 

Very cool! Love the colors!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 PM) : 

i dislike the proportions, the hat, and the blah color of the pants. i love the shoes and the idea of pairing them with neutrals.

 

Blogger jamesylala said ... (2:26 PM) : 

Holy Late 80's Buffalo Look Girl....WOW!!! Nena Cherry would be loving this look.
3 cheers from Leicester England!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:31 PM) : 

She looks perfect!! I love all the colors in this picture!

 

Blogger Landis said ... (2:33 PM) : 

love. adore. kind of over the bag, but what are you gonna do? you bought that damn huge balenciaga. . . you gotta wear it out.

 

Blogger Jessica Quirk said ... (3:06 PM) : 

The outfit is ok, but that TREE in the background is banging!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:11 PM) : 

I have been addicted to your site for the past 3 months and not commented yet - but this perfection i think the matching bag and boots (which i would not normally like) works because the trsrs aren't black - i love it and love your work - thank you

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:43 PM) : 

Maybe it's the angle but the trousers don't appear to be a good fit - a wee bit saggy & baggy in front. Brings back fond memories of my Grandpa, though.

ATL

 

Blogger The UnMighty said ... (4:20 PM) : 

She could crush a mans skull with those boots. Classy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:00 PM) : 

The entire look works for me. I like her stance as well. But the photo itself exceeds all.

Again, great photo. Vey "Autumn in New York!"

I'm not one for posting on blogs or message boards, but I must say your photos move me and I find myself becoming a regular.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:01 PM) : 

Oh no! An advertisement...And it moves! Did we know this was coming? Se la vie.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (5:13 PM) : 

the ads have been there since Sept

 

Blogger the style crusader said ... (5:44 PM) : 

love it. love the bag, love the proportions. especially love how confident and happy she looks with herself. it's true style. not forced. very beautiful.

 

Blogger cjdd said ... (5:49 PM) : 

what a beautiful tree...

 

Blogger simplyolive said ... (6:46 PM) : 

great hat,
great coat,
great bag!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 PM) : 

model

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 PM) : 

this girl is really pretty. i love her hat and red bag but the rest of her outfit is simply ugly. i am always astounded at the amount of butt-kissing comments on this website. no matter how ugly the outfit,people always gush with such unoriginal "genius" or "fab" comments.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:04 PM) : 

Fun shot. I love that she's carrying the same red Balenciaga. It shows the versatility of a bright handbag...

Lily
BeautyMaverick.com

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (8:12 PM) : 

For Anon 7:32
oh yes"simply ugly" is a much more complex and insightful critic of this young ladies look than a gushy "fab"

well done Anon I have learned something

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:33 PM) : 

must-have-red-boots-must-have-red-boots-must-have-red-boots...

I love this photo! The colors, the composition...those boots (sigh). It's genius AND fab! (please excuse me for gushing)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:40 PM) : 

i recognized the balenciaga bag right away! pretty girl with a great sense of style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:56 PM) : 

Les Misérables.... :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 PM) : 

I love how she rocks the ginormous red bag thru the seasons. Also, Sart, thank you for such a poetic shot of autumn in New York.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:08 PM) : 

gorgeous girl
hideous red boots

 

Blogger Style Bite said ... (9:45 PM) : 

Love the shoes on her. Love the shoes with this outfit. Love the outfit all together. Love her confidence.

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (10:13 PM) : 

She looks gorgeous in the latest photo!! The outfit is not very flattering on her, eclectic but not flattering.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 PM) : 

A very pretty model.

I like the hat and coat. The coat has a nice simplicity and falls well. The shoes are interesting. I really don't like the pants. The color contrast cuts her in half and the shape is not flattering on even such a tall model. (Would make an average-build woman look short and squat).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 PM) : 

I noticed right off that she's carrying the same purse.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 PM) : 

she still has the same silhouette going on in both photos, it's really interesting.

the proportions, the bag...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 PM) : 

i like both of her looks. i think she looks lovely and it's very apropriate for the age and for everyday life in a metropolis (big bags for getting everything you need for the day, boots so that you can walk around carefree...). Also, i think clothes a bit oversized are great for thin girls with a pretty face.

 

Blogger j said ... (11:32 PM) : 

that is an incredible photo. I've been to look at it at least three times today, to decipher what makes it so wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:46 PM) : 

I love SHEILA MARQUEZ! and i'm so happy that you've shot her. If my memory serves me correctly you also shot her in paris during fashion week. She was running across the open area where all the photographers converge betewen the shows and she was wearing a skullcap, white, boots and a big black bag? Maybe if you can recall.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 AM) : 

she seems like a model because i see the clothes (very well presented) before i see her. They seem far more interesting. As someone said, they seem to overpower any potential personality beneath.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 AM) : 

Hi an.7:32 pm! So glad you broke the ice about the commenting business. I too am surprised by the over- praising comments of clothes, etc. people shown on this site wear.Seems that you can wear a garbage bag and surely someone comes out with comments like:super,fab, sensational...But,I have experienced that sometimes when I write my real thoughts,they are not seen on this blog. The ass-kissing is a safer way to get your message through. Sart:Why is it so forbidden to express your impressions about the people you photograph? I assume you introduce yourself and tell people that you take photos that may or may not end up in the internet. I´m sure that those who don´t like to be pictured,will say so.Most people are just flattered and you could tell them that when the pictures come out,there will be likings and dislikings.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 AM) : 

Yes of course she does look fabulous but it's more of a " I'm a model photo' than 'I am a sartorialist'. We know models look good in prtty much anything

 

Blogger L C said ... (12:45 AM) : 

Beautiful photograph. Love how the background fades away leaving her (and of course the pigeons) the focus of the photo.

 

Blogger Blaise said ... (1:25 AM) : 

I like the new photo better than the older one, I could see her face better.. It's the same red bag.. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:06 AM) : 

HAHAHA! I love you response to Anon 7:32, Sart!

This lady knows how to work it...i'm pleasantly surprised that you caught her with her red bag in both photos!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:45 AM) : 

first picture -
Oh my gosh, YES.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:46 AM) : 

First picture -
Oh my gosh, YES.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:53 AM) : 

Great photo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:05 AM) : 

Oh Sart, I love how meeowh you're being these days, it's completely necessary.

On this girl, I can't belive that initial photo was last May already! Jeepers, I've been on your blog for too long. But if I wasn't here, where would I be? She's gorgeous of course, and I love the laissez-faire feel of her look. I think it's one of those things models have to have, wear whatever they want and not give a damn what anyone else might think. Envy that.

Energie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 AM) : 

i dont know why but for some reason her style is not quite right for me. wrong proportions or something. i think i would need to see the outfit IRL

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (9:08 AM) : 

For Anon 12:22

You don't have to agree with my choices but if you are going to be negative please do it in a respectful way.

I think most people would be shocked at some of the comments left on this blog and to be honest sometimes it is very frustrating. The most frustrating is when someone makes a good point about a look but then ruins there comments by trying to be funny and say something completely mean.

You say "it is the internet" like it is not real life but these still are real people and 90% of the time they do see the comments and some have told me that it hurts there feelings - I don't want to hurt peoples feelings - especially if they have been nice enough to let me take their photo

My life would be easier if I just held a blind eye to the comments section and just shrug it off but I would not be able to live with myself.

 

Blogger Ryfka said ... (9:46 AM) : 

Hah! I remember that bag! :)
This girl is amazing. I hate the boots but she pulls them off so well.

Both shots (and outfits) are simply pieces of art.

 

Blogger ohsotrue_ said ... (10:36 AM) : 

" Anonymous said...

i am always astounded at the amount of butt-kissing comments on this website. no matter how ugly the outfit,people always gush with such unoriginal "genius" or "fab" comments."

have you ever heard of opinions? not everyone has to think an outfit is "simply ugly" just because you do.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 AM) : 

I'd forgotten about the former photo of her -- thanks for reposting. It's a "fab" and "genius" look, which I'm going to term post-apocalyptic flower child. She's really great.

I also want to say something about you photographing models. You seem to get a lot of grief about it, but I for one am all for it. Models have the best personal style of just about anyone and, particularly since Liz Tilberis' death, the mags have almost entirely stopped running shots of them in their own clothes. So thank you very very much for picking up that slack, and PLEASE keep it up.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 PM) : 

What I like about this is that even beyond the clothes and accessories she has found a basically casual sihouette, tweaked it a bit (shorter pants, unexpected volume) and stuck with it. She knows what looks good on her and what she feels good in.

I think that the negative comments from the anons lack substance. Am I a fan of the extreme volume at the top of the pants leg in the top photo? Not really. But I like the overall look and I like that these are pieces and colours that most of us have some variation of in our closets. And if you notice, plenty of other people have noted things they weren't crazy about yet they still had the decency to be kind in tone and realized that their words have the potential to hurt.

Sart, thanks for always portraying our city so well! There is no place as lovely as New York in the autumn and, of course I am biased, your New York photos are always my favourite.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 PM) : 

I think the reds really pull it together nicely.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51 PM) : 

excellent photography Scott! Editorial doesn't get any better than this...model, setting, lighting, everything...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM) : 

I think she is beautiful and I like that she has her own personal style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:59 PM) : 

can't realise she's alive! she's the most beautiful i've ever seen!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:17 PM) : 

Sart,thanks for writing to me.I read your reply,but really YOU are not responsible how the blog viewers respond to your pictures and the comments people have. I think this is very important for you to understand: You are not responsible. If you free yourself from this guilt you have much more energy for yourself,your family for all us who are reading your blog. I agree with you that some comments are not worth publishing and then you have the choice. People differ and someone will want to get hurt as strange as it might seem.

 

Blogger Gina Marie said ... (4:50 PM) : 

that bag holds up, doesn't it?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:00 PM) : 

She's got a wonderful feel for proportion -- I think what unifies her look is the overall tone.

Even the tailored pieces like the wool jacket (in the first photo) and the buttery leather vest (second) give off a soft vibe, which is complemented by the looser trousers and the accents of color.

It's sophisticated and stylish without being showy or trendy.

This look could work with someone who isn't a model or tall or beautiful or young as this girl is. It takes some confidence.

-- desertwind

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:43 PM) : 

those chloe boots make me sad somehow. I really don't like them. the bag is great, though! makes me think I could take the surprisingly huge bag I got recently around town without it looking like carry-on luggage.

 

Blogger Amparo said ... (7:05 PM) : 

I love this looks. Congratulations for this magnific blog.

 

Blogger 2020VISIONNG said ... (10:02 AM) : 

And the flipping same bag! Oh wow Sart, way to go!

 

Blogger 2020VISIONNG said ... (10:13 AM) : 

Sart, I have to comment again I am totally totally loving this shot.

I am usually put off with the matching shoe and bag syndrome of the 80s but I am so in love with this shot.

The yellow-green tree overhead contrasts with all the other colours and makes it such a stunning picture.

Bloody well done!

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (12:47 PM) : 

wow, the image size is huge. I like this one. And the model is cute

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 PM) : 

she is very stylish wish is probably the reason that you happened to take her picture twice...

 

Blogger Pistachio Of Liberty said ... (2:44 AM) : 

Yes, that lower image size is FANTASTiC! I can finally see the details other do.

May I ask, Sart, why you don't/can't do that for all the posts? Is it a bandwidth issue?

 

Blogger dnqcnn said ... (8:45 AM) : 

She's still keeping her faith in the bag,, I would too it's marvelous

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

those chloè shoes are hideous
but very charming girl.

 

Blogger hannah said ... (3:04 PM) : 

beautiful! and how its combined :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:15 PM) : 

if we hit 100 do we get a free pizza?? hehe;) lol

 

Blogger M. said ... (8:51 PM) : 

She certainly has a 'look' that she sticks with; I can admire that. And I'm amused that it's the same bag in both photos.

I really like the recent one-- not even her outfit so much as the composition of the shot. Very nice.

 

Blogger Julia said ... (6:23 PM) : 

I saw this lady today in union square [in the subway] in the same outfit. She stood out in a sea of gray and black, it was fantastic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:04 PM) : 

she looks awesome!! those red boots..my my..she rocked the outfit without making the boots seem too bold or out of place. its just perfect.
ps. she absolutely MUST be a model!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:10 AM) : 

the transformation is amazing! and all because of a simple hat!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:06 PM) : 

Wow! I could not believe my eyes when I saw the picture at the bottom. She looks exactely like my sister in law. They must be identical twins. My sister in law worked as a model i Barcelona, but that is closer to 10 years ago now.

....Wow!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:58 PM) : 

To be honest most of the outfits here are questionable because everyone seems so fashion obsessed, but I guess that's part of living in New York City?

 

Blogger Rachel said ... (12:16 AM) : 

That fish I love.

 

Blogger OrangeAppled said ... (5:54 PM) : 

Those red boots are BADASS!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:49 AM) : 

I can only say: She looks very very great :-)!!!!!!!

 

Blogger mk said ... (10:32 AM) : 

everything is a matter of style..

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting