This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street....Sleek & Chic in Navy, Manhattan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, November 08, 2007

On the Street....Sleek & Chic in Navy, Manhattan

Comments on "On the Street....Sleek & Chic in Navy, Manhattan"

 

Blogger starbahks said ... (10:13 AM) : 

Great details on the blazer... I especially love the pockets on the right and his pocket square :)

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (10:50 AM) : 

Superb.

That lighting isn't bad, either.

 

Blogger tintin said ... (11:01 AM) : 

That's the wackiest blazer. Velvet collar and hacking pockets on what is supposed to be a nautical inspired piece of clothing? It boggles the mind. Is it a Covert Coat? An Austrian sport coat? A Navy blazer? Or just Mr Peppino run amock?

I do like the pocket sq. Looks like Ferragamo...?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:07 AM) : 

Smart, chic, restrained, uniform-like but with individualized fillips ... a man who clearly knows what looks best on him ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:02 PM) : 

Uhg. Nothing I like here except his willingness to wear such --- uhgggy clothing. He reminds me of a '70s men's catalog ad.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

Perhaps the jacket is by Façonnable? Looks possible, with the part-velvet collar and hacking pockets. My spouse has one, and I loathe it. (Façonnable has horrid clothes to my mind.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37 PM) : 

Thankfully his hair isn't navy too. Joking apart... understated, classic, yet his own... I love it.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (12:37 PM) : 

LOTS of navy. The dubious jacket aside--well, I gotta say I'm not a fan of turtlenecks used in this fashion (hmmmm: a pun?).

But the guy has achieved a kind of original semi-dressiness.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:41 PM) : 

oooooo la la!

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (12:44 PM) : 

He is indeed one sleek gent.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

Oh no. This is boring. Somehow it looks as if the guy is mummied in his outfit. The same blue is just all over. Wish there´d be even a bit of some other color somewhere. Help!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:58 PM) : 

Seriously Fierce!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 PM) : 

He looks amazing. Even without that pocket square, my absolute weakness for men in turtlenecks would have been enough for me to love this.

 

Blogger Françoise said ... (2:29 PM) : 

No comments. Well, maybe just a little one: perfect in a Ralph Lauren way.

 

Blogger BLOGGGGG said ... (2:41 PM) : 

Is it just me or is there something inherently Bond-villain about this gentleman?

 

Blogger BLOGGGGG said ... (2:41 PM) : 

Is it just me or is there something inherently Bond-villain about this gentleman?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:56 PM) : 

I would have to agree with anonymous that he looks 'mummified'. I was a fashion naif once, myself, and mummified myself similarly for almost a year. This reminds me of that time.

When I stopped, I felt as though I'd crawled out from under a rock. He's a striking gentleman and could do far better.

It isn't even necessarily about color, but about the deadness of the clothes. My first response was one of distaste, but considering his looks, should have been one of delight.

 

Blogger DDW said ... (3:20 PM) : 

something about this looks really uptight to me, like he lives in a real-life version of 'falcon crest.' he's working it, though!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (3:24 PM) : 

mummified?
are you kidding me?
do you have no sense of texture?
Velvet, knit, denim, heavy wool

 

Blogger Jean said ... (4:25 PM) : 

The almost-too-small cut, the understated shoulders: beautiful, BEAUTIFUL! A touch of vulnerability, despite his self-assured look. Can't think of anything that would be better with it than the turtleneck. Only complaint: velvet details makes it all a little too soft.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:29 PM) : 

Looks like a new British Airways cabin crew uniform circa 1974.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:03 PM) : 

Larry posseses the most sophisticated and brilliant style. He always look polished and perfect. Love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:37 PM) : 

I know this man- he's a member of the Von Trapp family singers. do you hear music?

 

Blogger Travel the World with Me said ... (6:06 PM) : 

something so awesome about turtle necks and a pocket square.

Where do you find these beautiful people all over NYC? amazing!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:21 PM) : 

it's just not working for me. love the blazer - and what we can see of the denim looks good too, but the turtleneck seems a little reminiscent of days when our mothers used to dress us.

the whole thing is quite striking, though... especially in contrast to his pale-ish skin and white hair. lovely photograph.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:23 PM) : 

quite well done, although i can't say i like the combination of a pocket square and jeans, however dark they may be.

 

Blogger SartoriallyAddicted said ... (6:28 PM) : 

Wow...some vintage 70's GQ going on here. Only the mustache is missing. I like the Chesterfield collar though. Very Britsh. Very proper. He must have the "blues."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 PM) : 

Hubba, hubba!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:27 PM) : 

Your site is wonderful, Sartorialist, and there are so many outfits you photograph that I absolutely adore (To start, the one directly below this one).

Maybe I should limit myself to writing only about my positive responses. There's enough negativity in this world already. I suppose I should at least be less glib in phrasing my negative ones. I'll be more careful and considerate in the future.

I do have a pretty developed sense of texture, from years of practical experience in artmaking and related fields.

Perhaps if I'd met this gentleman in person, with the sunlight on the velvet, and the jacket in movement and the softness of the sweater almost tangible, and the wearer himself in motion, with all the charm that a person exudes in real life, I might have had a different response.

However, since my comment's already out there, I'll stand by it. There's something disturbingly 'dead' to me about this man's outfit in this phtograph, 'texture' or no.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:38 PM) : 

Bond... James Bond.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 PM) : 

He does look sleek!

 

Blogger DeepBlueSea said ... (10:29 PM) : 

Overall I like it quite a lot but aaahhhh the turtleneck... I need to give it some time.

 

Blogger Win Rogstrand said ... (10:47 PM) : 

Where have you gone, David Niven-imaggio?

 

Blogger Rebecca V. O'Neal said ... (12:18 AM) : 

he looks well-tailored and well-coiffed

a little stiff, but his hair is great!

 

Blogger DJ FunkyGrrL said ... (5:45 AM) : 

His suit reminds me of a top level fashion designer

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:47 AM) : 

Sorry... What does 'fierce' mean?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:49 AM) : 

Yes! He also reminded me to someone in 'the sound of music'! Maybe that's precisely the fun element this look was needing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:51 AM) : 

Jour de fête!

 

Blogger Paulo Mamedes said ... (7:07 AM) : 

Im dream on this, here in Brazil...

 

Blogger Pakithor said ... (8:47 AM) : 

Really impressive!

Reallly elegant!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 AM) : 

anon 6:47...."fierce" in this context mean the person looks very good and w/ a certain amount of attitude.

It's most used on Tyra Bank's "America's Next Top Model" show when she or her judging panel really like something.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:28 PM) : 

It's not fair! This model is so knocked out no matter what he would wear would look fantastic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:34 PM) : 

To hungry eye: Thanks. Finally I have found someone who immediately understood what I meant. I feel that the outfit of this boy blue is r e a l l y dead and I can´t see the different textures,but Sart if they are there ,I believe you. I was merely making my observations from this one picture which didn´t inspire me at all. an.12:54 pm

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:13 PM) : 

I didn't even notice that that was denim until I read the other comments (shame on me, but I suppose I was blown over by all that navy) - oh my god! Aside from the pocket square this outfit has no edge, no pizazz, no anything! it's like a shadow of an outfit, a bad memory of a blazer- I can only imagine the shoes!

But the pocket square is quite nice.

 

Blogger Just an Observation said ... (8:54 PM) : 

Nany IZZ chiic ....so CHIC!!!

Love this one ...well done!

THXSAR!

 

Blogger Matthew Grayson said ... (12:11 AM) : 

It's funny how if someone wears all navy people will comment on the hue's omnipresence, yet plenty of all-black ensembles go unchecked.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 AM) : 

Love the jacket, not the jeans. And I'm missing some texture contrast. I like the retro influence though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:40 AM) : 

He works at Ralph Lauren -- you're so good at picking us in a crowd!

 

Blogger Men's Vintage Connoisseur said ... (2:38 PM) : 

Great details on the clearly bespoke, not vintage, blazer.
The velvet collar has me thinking of John Steed rather than James Bond!
It should be an overdose of navy but he makes it work well.

Men's Vintage Connoiseur

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 AM) : 

i never would have thought i'd want to go hunting and sailing in the nineteenth century both at the same time, but then this guy shows up and the party's on!

i love that jacket. it's so weird that it transcends...everything.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:59 PM) : 

yeah, a great match to his great hair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:32 PM) : 

It's very simple, clean and elegant. And boring :(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 AM) : 

This man is devastating.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting