This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Femme Sleeve Layering, Soho

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Friday, November 16, 2007

Femme Sleeve Layering, Soho


For me, this all about the layering of the camel cardie under the vintage Norell 3/4 length sleeve jacket. (and ,of course, the scarf)

The only thing that could have made it more perfect would be if the cardie were also 3/4 sleeve (or 7/8) and was only peeking out about two inches.

Comments on "Femme Sleeve Layering, Soho"

 

Blogger Vanya Du Toit said ... (9:57 AM) : 

i can never make my scarves drape like that - exactly perfectly effortless looking!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 AM) : 

Thank you for reminding me to take out my hibernating vintage Norell tuxedo jacket for the cold weather!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

I really like this look - the scarf, the jacket, the t-shirt, the jeans, the clutch/wallet! Nicely done! I would wear this in an instant.

What I don't like are the sleeves of an otherwise unseen cardigan showing that much, although I love the bit of colour of the cardigan's sleeves.

This is another very good photo. I love the way the camera focuses on her in the foreground and everything else in the background is vague and dream-like.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 AM) : 

Will try layering but perhaps the trick is to ensure that the opposite end is sleek in order to contrast the bulk.

For example, the jeans on this cutey are not flattering to her awesome hips. The belt also doesn't add much.

An A-line something or the other with flats or tall boots, perhaps?

mltt

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:38 AM) : 

I like the overall idea. To swap tee and cardie for a (v or scoopneck) cashmere sweater, also 7/8-sleeve, would be an appealing variation, I think.

 

Blogger Jessica DaSilva said ... (10:57 AM) : 

Is she wearing the same scarf as the woman in the previous post?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:25 AM) : 

Her smile is a great layer:) This woman is beautiful, and I love that you posted this photo. She looks like a real woman. There is nothing too fussy about this look. But she is so well put together, so casual without looking overly fashionable. I just love this. A great job of layering also.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:36 PM) : 

she looks like a pretty lady. I wouldn't mind having brunch with her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:40 PM) : 

To me what's great about this photo is the way the girl's personality seems to shine through. She comes across as a great person with a great smile, completely relaxed and comfortable in her body. Her clothes appeal to me not because I'm crazy about layered sleeves, but because she seems like a nice person I'd want to know better. I'm not perving on her (I'm a hetero female) but the cozy scarf and generally comfortable, wearable looking clothing (e.g. the jeans fit but not too tight, the t-shirt hugs her body but not like a sausage casing) make her come across like a happy, confident woman who likes herself, knows she's attractive, but doesn't feel the need to put herself on display.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (1:10 PM) : 

I love the colours too. The caramel, navy and dove-gray of her scarf mix beautifully.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 PM) : 

An ok look.Nothing too much,nothing too less. An ordinary looking photo.

 

Blogger Jingoist said ... (3:27 PM) : 

Funny enough, along the same lines as the sleeve idea in this picture, yesterday I had on some business casual attire and on top I went with:

An unstructured brown sports coat;
Thin beige cashmere sweater;
A steel blue long sleeve polo

I purposely "layered" the 3 sleeves so one would see about an inch of the blue polo under an inch of the beige sweater, under the brown jacket. (I tailor my jacket sleeves slightly shorter.)

When I first decided to do it I wasn't sure of the combination, but then upon wearing it, I liked it.

I bring this up because, to me, it bridges between Scott's idea in this photo and the previous post about the inspiration one garners from a certain look, male or female, and how one makes it work in a personal way.

 

Blogger Claris said ... (4:19 PM) : 

The flaps on the jacket, the belt, the blouse-y sweater sleeves--it's a lot of unnecessary bulk around her hips. Luckily, her radiant smile and effortlessly tied scarf draws the eye upward...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:14 PM) : 

I think her hips look great, we just see so many very skinny people here it has skewed the perception. She looks fit and comfortable. And I agree, Vanya... how do you get a scarf to wrap so perfectly?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:42 PM) : 

Perhaps it's the soft gray mixed with neutral tones and the way they blend with the gray tones of the sidewalk and streets...and how they compliment the gloomy view from my office window...but I find your photos today to be quite calming. Thanks.

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (9:04 PM) : 

I love this photo! Her smile is bright and happy, and the jacket is simply gorgeous. And I love the way she drapes the pashmina scarf.

Very beautifully put together, photography and fashion-wise.

 

Blogger pearlaceous said ... (9:17 PM) : 

I love it! It's such a nice photo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 PM) : 

a nitpicky comment, but a cardigan (by nature) buttons down the front, so this is actually just a sweater.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:27 AM) : 

i agree totally with anon 12:40. there's a very appealing lack of pretentiousness mixed with a good deal of style. so real and pretty and comfortable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:21 AM) : 

It's so refreshing to see a woman in non-skinny jeans. She looks classic, comfortable, and stylish. She doesn't look like she's trying and that's what I like about this.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

I find this photo appealing, not just because of her great sense of casual style, but because she seems so approachable. It's nice to view the various photos of models and fashionistas, but I get the sense that they are exposed to avant-garde and high fashion quite often which might make it a bit easier for them to pull-off.

However, I find this to be one of your more intriguing photos because she truly is (or, seems to be) a woamn who happens to be out-and-about AND who has great style. Refreshing!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (12:09 PM) : 

Anon 11:18
Not to burst your bubble but I found out after I took the shot that she works in some-type of position at V magazine. She is a fashionista in training.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (12:42 PM) : 

Yes, indeed...like one of the anonymous people already mentioned: she's not trying and that's what makes her kind of special. Just a regular girl.

But what I really like about this one is the way you have made this picture. With the blurry background.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:25 PM) : 

simple but at the same time casual stylish.. perfect weekend outfit

 

Blogger Lilith said ... (3:06 PM) : 

Scott, given that you are a scarf affecionado, it would be great if you could do an instructional, scarf-tying post! Like vanya, no matter how hard I try I can never get them looking just right. I imagine a lot of people have similar trouble.

 

Blogger Siru said ... (5:19 PM) : 

love that belt. and her smile.

juliet xxx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:25 PM) : 

I'm sorry but this looks like a million people I see everyday. Nothing particularly wrong with the look, (and it could be worse believe me), but I'm not sure why it made this site.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 PM) : 

Love the outfit...what shoes was she wearing?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 PM) : 

someone has been shopping at Dean and Deluca

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:04 AM) : 

(From Anon 11:18) Rats, bubble bursted! Ah well, an image well done -- by her and you. Thanks for the daily inspiration!

 

Blogger Pistachio Of Liberty said ... (2:42 AM) : 

I can't believe someone can carry around just a clutch! Yet others (like me) need an airplane hanger size. Must be nice. Maybe she lives just down the block, or does she have a limo waiting? I just don't even think people use their cars in Manhattan, but I guess they do.

 

Blogger Doctorwild said ... (3:27 AM) : 

I don't think the look would be better with shortened sleeves.

DocWild

 

Blogger Rose said ... (6:25 AM) : 

Absolutely nothing wrong with these jeans...great, classic styling from head to toe.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (2:42 PM) : 

That's perfect! Love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:50 PM) : 

I second lilith. It would be great to see some post on how to tie scarves or even pictures where people have used sarves beautifully. I have a whole bunch of scarves languishing in my closet because I never seem to get it right.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 PM) : 

Predictable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:40 PM) : 

I thought about this post all weekend, and I've just got to know - what kind of shoes was this woman wearing?

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting