This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street.........Young English Lady, Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

On The Street.........Young English Lady, Paris

Comments on "On The Street.........Young English Lady, Paris"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:50 PM) : 

amazing..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:53 PM) : 

this must have been the perfect girl to shoot. but as far as style, i can't see anything, besides the fact that she likes color. but she does look like a fun splash of life! :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:03 PM) : 

Careful here, Sart. This is kiddy playing dress up time almost.

 

Blogger angvou said ... (6:12 PM) : 

eek! some kind of fekakta mash-up of Kelly Osbourne and Daphne Guinness

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:19 PM) : 

perfect!

I'm dying to see her shoes...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:26 PM) : 

Congratulations! You've been featured on i-D magazine (uk) this month!!!

 

Blogger lj said ... (6:26 PM) : 

she is gorgeous. fantastic photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 PM) : 

I love the colors and patterns with her fair skin. I'm even glad the sky is overcast. I just wish her arms weren't crossed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:48 PM) : 

I don't like it. It just seems like standard teen fare, bright neons, sullen attitude. I've seen a million girls dressed like this.
What usually characterizes the people on this blog that are so well dressed is their attitude, and the look on their faces- amusement, care, laughter, but most of all, experience. They enjoy dressing, and have a unique understanding of style. Their personalities are expressive and original, and you can see it in their pictures.
To me, this girl has none of these categories. She's not inspirational in any way. She doesn't look well dressed, but worst of all, she's not particularly interesting. Her picture conveys nothing to me. It's a good picture, but I can't relate to the subject.
This blog is about inspiration. It influences people. This seems disappointing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:54 PM) : 

She has a very personal expression of style, and that's what we're all aiming for, isn't it?

 

Blogger pig_93 said ... (6:54 PM) : 

She's got attitude.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:12 PM) : 

BEAUTIFUL!!
shes so beautiful! she only adds to that with her orginal outfit, it looks amazing :)

 

Blogger The Slagger said ... (7:22 PM) : 

Beautiful face. I dunno why but somehow this works.
www.theslagger.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (7:30 PM) : 

check out that sneer! she looks pretty cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:31 PM) : 

Wow -- she's a saucy one! And despite her stance and attempt at appearing sullen, I believe I see a twinkle in her eye and a bit of a smile playing at the corners of her mouth. I wish I had the moxie to express myself like that with clothing when I was her age. Love her perfect manicure and with matching lip stain.
And Anon 6:48 -- lighten up. she's young and fun! Remember fun?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 PM) : 

I think some people are forgetting the point of fashion. It's self expression (with a bit of coordination and confidence). This girl embodies all of these elements in this outfit. Props to her!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:42 PM) : 

Decent post, however, i fail to see any difference between this photo and what Madonna was doing in the 80's.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 PM) : 

Style?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 PM) : 

The turquoise accessories elongated her neck therefore standing out her luminous complexion.

Utterly naturel.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 PM) : 

Gorgeous ensemble. Very English looking, very 80s punk English style. Love it.

Her dye job would look frightful on so many people but I love it on her.

So few really young people express themselves as they wish to sartorially for fear of being teased or isolated. Good for her and she looks fab and like she'd be interesting and fun to hang out with if I were the same age. I'm pretty sure we'd goss about how much we love Morrissey. Just a stab in the dark.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:35 PM) : 

To Anon 6:48 PM,

This girl has all what you said! She has a perfect attitude that makes her look, and she seems to enjoy dressing up and has a unique sense of style! If her style doesn't suit you, it doesn't mean she hasn't any.. Just wish you would accept that people have different senses of style, and this is what this blog is about... What doesn't inspire you might inspire others :)

Don't mean to attack you or anything, but just wish you'd be more considerate of other tastes..

Peace! :)

~ pearlescent

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:43 PM) : 

I think there is a lot of thought in her outfit. The pink nail polish that matches closely to her hair clips. The jewelry that works so well with her dress. Plus, what a phenomenal pout! She knows she has a great pout too; the lip piercing just draws the attention right there.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 PM) : 

I'm not in love with this look, but at least it's truly different and expressive. I get really weary of people who only accept personal style as "personal style as expressed within really narrow stylistic (read: designer) parameters and in really tired ways".

Head to toe black or black + other nuetral with vixen heels is really tired, and as lovely as this blog is, it's as tiresome here as everywhere else.

This look has a great deal of color, fun, and she probably really likes her clothes and isn't too concerned about the scrutiny of a bunch of mainstream fashionistas. It's not classic OR groundbreaking, but that doesn't mean she has no personal style.

 

Blogger Blaise said ... (9:06 PM) : 

Her somewhat anti-fashion statement is so against the "classic" backdrop.. Very Nice..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 PM) : 

Hey hope you post a little on the Collette party! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:37 PM) : 

Not many people can make an inch of dark black roots look like it was done purpose, but the whole thing looks like she threw it on without thinking and it came out perfectly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 PM) : 

The the previous comment, Welcome to fashion! It's impossible to wear a style that hasn't been done before; everything from the high-waisted trousers on women, to slim cut suits on men that we've seen on here all have their origins in another time.

 

Blogger Landis said ... (10:28 PM) : 

millions of madonna-wanna-bes from the eighties are just rolling their eyes right now.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 PM) : 

Mothra likes color.

 

Blogger Paige said ... (10:53 PM) : 

Hmmm there are many conflicting points of views here I see. Well, I think this girl doesn't look too particularly well dressed, I do enjoy the pattern and colors she uses, but for some reason the outfit seems to be off, perhaps it is the thin strapped top and leggings that throw it off for me. As for her hair, that is exactly what I'd like to color my own hair. I wonder how or where she got it done...


I too am a young teenager, and I think if there's any time to experiment with extreme hair color, the time is now!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:11 PM) : 

To my eye this young woman has style, and it's not just 80's Madonna-type punk. I lived through that, and this certainly references it, but this is also different. In short, she looks great, and her look has a number of interesting things happening.

Another thing: I'm getting a little tired of people criticizing the subjects that don't smile. I for one have a lot of difficulty "turning on" a smile for a camera.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 PM) : 

Ode to Ab fab?

 

Blogger DeepBlueSea said ... (11:36 PM) : 

Wonder if she was even born when Madonna looked like that?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:44 PM) : 

let's use this photo as a reminder that the neon colored, sneering, mismatched punk girl was, in the first place, a british invention. in this sense, nowadays, she's something of a classic. i say bravo! to this young lass, beacause despite her attempt at a defiant sneer, she can't help but be cute as a button.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 PM) : 

Now this is a picture where there is way too much going on.She looks like a christmas tree. There is actually so much that I can´t focus on anything.This is an example of how not to dress.Cheers for that!

 

Blogger sara star said ... (12:20 AM) : 

I love her attitude and the punkish contrast to the country road. Very inspiring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 AM) : 

I like it, but the things that throw it off for me are the chunky bracelets and the undershirt, however the undershirt brings out the bright blue of the turqoise in the necklace. Maybe it would work better with a greenish shade of tourqoise?
But all of it's a moot point, since being mitchy-matchy defeats the unique avant-garde look she's obviously going for.

 

Blogger The Catorialist said ... (12:46 AM) : 

Who is commenting on this blog? 30+? so elitist. Its the watch and the kneehighs. I don't know about those animal print tights, but I would have to see the shoes.

 

Blogger sunni said ... (1:04 AM) : 

i guess perfect women in newest prada heels does get boring. this girl is like someone i'd see anywhere, but not once on your blog. so a bit of variety in that sense i guess. she has nice hair.

 

Blogger stacy said ... (1:12 AM) : 

I love it! The quintessential teen.

Great variation of prints and colours.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:31 AM) : 

she's very pretty (love the expression in her eyes), but i must say, the combination of roots and tacky accessories really isn't doing it for me. :(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:58 AM) : 

my favorites are the bracelets and the lipstick. i want those bracelets. that necklace color reminds me of the fabulous girl in red with the turquoise belt. i'm loving that color.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:12 AM) : 

Sweet! The tourquoise necklace, the rose color, the kitchen print and her platinum hair are so delicate. But that's balanced against animal print tights, folded arms, pierced lip.

It looks very fresh (and cheeky!) to me.

I'd love to see the print skirt better. Is it an apron over a black skirt?

-- desertwind

PS -- I'm a relic from the 80s, so I can say: Girls like this young lady influenced Madonna and not the other way around.

 

Blogger Pistachio Of Liberty said ... (3:33 AM) : 

This reminds me of those happiest of times, when I did not dress for anyone but myself. When things were thrown on like Jackson Pollack and happy accidents occurred daily.

I love those colors together, so anytime I see them it brings me joy.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:12 AM) : 

well it makes a different from all those good-taste parisiennes! She's got some style going on - but it might not be to your taste.

Let's not forget that English street style has had a massive impact on global fashion - Vivienne Westwood and John Galliano anyone????

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:35 AM) : 

I love her. Like a blond frida kahlo, somehow. It is so great to see some COLOUR once in a while!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 AM) : 

she gives me the impression of a punked up version of sofia coppola's marie antoinette!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:37 AM) : 

Primark makes an appearance on The Sartorialist! I do believe that's the same patent bag I have, costs six quid :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:10 AM) : 

Hmmm....a bit too "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" for me. But she's a cute girl, and I hope she does have some fun.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:38 AM) : 

she is amazing. her outfit is creative and fun but i think the black keeps it from being obnoxious. and though some people might see girls like this every day, i certainly don't, so thanks for putting her up!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:50 AM) : 

Anon 6:48

Are you for real? The fashion industry is the opposite of everything you said - it's not meant to be serious so stop making it serious.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (8:09 AM) : 

Wow, she certainly has a point of view! The colour mix with the pink and green is actually quite delicate.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 AM) : 

There is really nothing special about her outfit; however, she does have attitude and originality!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:40 AM) : 

modern-day marie antoinette

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 AM) : 

Her choice of colors and patterns shows some sophistication. I don't like this outfit, but I'd love to see what she's wearing in a few years.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:34 AM) : 

things i like about this ensemble:
-the perfect hair, and the bright candy blue and pink accessories that call attention to it
-the bold mash-up of patterns, esp. taking traditional "feminine" prints (floral, polka dot) and making them punk by clashing them
i think this is a much more sophisticated and feminine take on punk than one usually sees. and she's a teenager who looks nothing like anyone on mtv, the hills, etc. bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 AM) : 

well done representing someone fashionable who isn't wearing $8000.00 worth of clothing.
i'd love to see more of it.

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (11:04 AM) : 

I love the beads on her. With beads like these, you either have to wear LOTS of them or none at all. And I love that she paired them with something simple and young. Overall, a great look for the younger set.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:06 AM) : 

As a former Madonna wannabe, I appreciate this homage to the styles from my youth. It makes me suspect I might have been a rather cute teenager. ;-)

I agree that this look has become a classic. Thoughtfully assembled, classic ensembles will always look fresh to me.

 

Blogger jamesylala said ... (11:09 AM) : 

Has anyone noticed what a Beautiful complexion this young woman has, or that she posses a Pre-Raphaelite glamour. Her eyes speak volumes!
Her assemblage look does border a bit on generic, but her sense of color and texture belie a subtlety. It is hard to be young and self-defining. Courage is always more relevant than result when it comes to fashion.
I’d say she is the punk princess of Lacroix, wouldn’t you??

Cheers
Jamesy

 

Blogger A Fong said ... (11:23 AM) : 

Hmm.. if you think this girl looks amazing, you should come to london and check out all the cool kids hanging out here...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:50 AM) : 

I like the overall look. She's young and has great colored hair for her complexion; the dark roots don't bother me at all.

At that age I wouldn't expect her to have a fully developed sense of style. This is the age she should be experimenting with bright colors and different looks. My teenagers and young adult went through a Goth phase in which I would have given anything to see a bright color in evidence anywhere on their persons.

Also, I don't think she has a sullen look or a sneer. She's simply not smiling. Believe me, I know a sullen look and a sneer when I see one (see afore mentioned teenagers)!

There's a mile of difference between Prada shoes and "tacky accessories". I believe the tacky accessories" are what is affordable for her. We can't expect everyone to be wearing designer clothing.

I think Sart is hitting the mark and what HE sees and likes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:52 AM) : 

Sorry, but she looks like any mallrat in the MidWest. Yuck.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 PM) : 

I have been viewing ure blog for sometime in various spaces; I am very much a fan.

pertaining the image: this picture is very avant-garde, but I enjoy all of ure captured images.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:20 PM) : 

I don't mean this in a mean sense, and I doubt if this comment will pass Sart the sensor, who must be very considerate in protecting his subjects. But most people in this blog dress to express power, whereas this girl dresses to express a lack of power. Her sullen attitude is real. I think she knows the future is not bright, hence her fu attitude, and what's sad is that in another 10 years, she'll probably have given up and will be buying her Dickies at the local hardware store. It's really not about style, this look. It's about anti-style.

 

Blogger PeaceSignWithChocolate said ... (12:29 PM) : 

This is someone I would have been friends with in high school. I love the tall socks over the patterend tights. I wish we could see another pic of her when she's 30-something. Great style. I'm sure it will evolve with age.

 

Blogger Janice C. Cartier said ... (1:20 PM) : 

Just found you and wow!!!! Love these on the street, looks. Great work all round. Will be coming back for more and more. Hope springs eternal to put a little more pizzaz in my day and on myself. Woman of a certain age...maybe it isn't over yet . Thanks for dong this! all best,Jan

 

Blogger Kate said ... (1:24 PM) : 

I'm so OVER sullen. What does it contribute? K Q:-(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

The skin, the attitude, the posture -- this young lady knows who she is and isn't shy to let the world know it.

 

Blogger Katarina said ... (2:51 PM) : 

She has a very cool and inspiring style, great necklace colour!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 PM) : 

So far, what I’ve heard are complete opposites: she’s original. She’s unoriginal, amused, unhappy, unwilling to smile for the cameras, anti-fashion, and mainstream.
Arguably, no trend is new, and absolutely no one is unaffected by it. Whether she’s a perfect representation of a London punk is debatable.
Aside from all of that, it’s true that what is inspirational to me is not to others. One of the flaws I find in the picture is that while she may have a popular look, or a typical ‘teenage’ persona, she doesn’t do anything with it. It’s hard to be original, but certain people stand out in a crowd because of their demeanor and appearance, and as far as I’m considered, she’s brightly colored, but boring.
I’m not trying to malign supporters of her look, or the girl herself. However, I do find this disappointing. She may be young, and having fun with her look, but that does not make her fashionable. And for the same reason that others think that she’s admirable, a representation of a particular brand of trend, I find myself disliking the fact that her appearance seems so disposable. To me, it does not seem like an expression of personal style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:09 PM) : 

Wish we could see her legs and boots!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:12 PM) : 

i don't see anything special here. has any one of these commentators been on an American college campus lately? i see tons of people dressed this way daily, especially with the rise of American Apparel in the last few years.

 

Blogger Joan said ... (5:05 PM) : 

love the colors.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:25 PM) : 

Dunno. There's something about the 'English Lady' caption used for this fresh, punky, beautiful Anna Suiesque creature that gives me a giggly fit. So let me lend another seeming platitude while we're trying to label her style: she owns it. And I do hope that's a slight smirk or a tempered flirty smile on her face, because she certainly made my day.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (7:22 PM) : 

Great shot, Scott. I like it. You captured some wonderful colour here. I like this young lady's outfit, though I could do without the lip piercing. She looks particularly English to me. Maybe it's her beautiful skin. Very, very pretty. She reminds me of my younger days and my girlfriends at school. During term, of course, we all wore the school uniform. Conservative and a bit boring. At holidays and during the summer, however, my girlfriends would go the opposite direction and display the same creativity and fun in their sartorial choices that this young lady is showing. Creative people should be encouraged. Refreshing.

 

Blogger Pistachio Of Liberty said ... (7:30 PM) : 

Anon sez: "As a former Madonna wannabe, I appreciate this homage to the styles from my youth. It makes me suspect I might have been a rather cute teenager. ;-) "
Yes. And, along the lines of "Youth is wasted on the young": Gosh I wish someone had been able to convince the young me to forget my plump thighs appreciate the fleeting gifts of being young. The glow of my skin and that burning energy must have made me been quite beautiful to others while I bowed my head to hide the occasional blemish. I want to say that to this next generation, but But of course good luck getting them to believe how exquisite they are by the mere fact of their youth alone.

 

Blogger B.blog said ... (8:33 PM) : 

to 6.48 anon's remarks. You seem to be taking this way too seriously. The pictures are interesting and cover a wide range of looks/types/people - how could you "relate" to ALL of those ? Its good you have seen a million girls like this but I haven't (perhaps cos Im in a different country to you) so it is "interesting" to me and I can get several "insirational" ideas that I can adapt for my look. I love this site in that it is so diverse.

 

Blogger Ily said ... (10:03 PM) : 

Controversial I suppose, but I love this. All her bracelets are hair accessories seem like an understated nod to Japanese "decora"...very cool.

*ily
Bring asexy back: http://theonepercentclub.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 PM) : 

just to add about the photo itself,
is it photoshop or is it my eyes,
the photo looks rather unnatural.

 

Blogger X said ... (12:57 AM) : 

very different than what you usually shoot...

...especially the colours.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:09 AM) : 

bless you sir for not being so affected and brave enough to move beyond what is simply expected of you and your site. she exudes personal style...no matter

 

Blogger Françoise said ... (6:24 AM) : 

I don't like it, I am not attracted to this and don't find it appealing, but she has her own personal style and has expressed her individuality. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:30 AM) : 

Bravo for her experimenting, but unfortunately this experiment failed

That said however, I feel the inspiration here is not so much about what she is wearing or how, but that she put herself out there

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (10:26 AM) : 

She looks like a cool 21st century Little Edie, but the mother in me wishes she hadn't added the distracting lip piercing to her pretty face.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:31 AM) : 

when's this mean girl going to crack a smile? I saw her in the eiffel tower shot on your style post too. In the garden she reads to me like a high school hall thug you'd get shoved by as you walked past. At the eiffel tower she seems to say quit following me you jerk..definitely not your usual happy encounter on the street shots

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 PM) : 

Well:at least i can wear my turquoise beads in autumn!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:03 PM) : 

personally I love it, I'm young and get the style...but I can see that the older ones that commented this blog don't. I like how she goes crazy with color, yet still don't "clash", although that might not be the best way to phrase it...but I still think that she has style...it's just different. Hip, young, and not caring about what other people think...that's what it should be about. yet still classic...

 

Blogger sasha said ... (9:37 PM) : 

Such a diverse blend of reactions for one photo. Depending on your personal experience, this girl evokes style or lack of style, rebellion or conformity. For me personally, she is unique. I have become increasingly bored with the style of young girls here in los angeles. A grey american apparel t-shirt, black leggings and some random scarf- all day, everyday. I would love to see this girl on the street here.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 PM) : 

I like this picture for its composition. The subject's contrasting colours on her accessories and make up against the pale yellows and greys of the autumn air. "Vibrance in autumn" is what comes to mind when looking at this picture.
Cheryl Marie Cordeiro

 

Blogger Susana Rodrigues said ... (6:42 PM) : 

Love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:36 PM) : 

She's certainly one of the most interesting individuals I've seen on this blog. Such a refreshing change from BLACK, BLACK, BLACK!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:05 AM) : 

she looks more comfortable to me. her face is relaxed and she is beautiful.

some people just need to remember, although this type of fashion may not be most favorable to them, fashion is also in the way a person carries themselves and is also presented in their personalities. you cannot judge a personal fashion style simply by viewing a photo. there is a story behind it all. it is then when you understand and appreciate.

 

Blogger nolifebeforecoffee said ... (9:51 AM) : 

this is real style.
love the colors

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:30 PM) : 

Oh, my God!!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 AM) : 

she looks as though she has tried really hard to copy an outfit and it hasn't quite worked...there is no styling behind the outfit - it's just random and thrown together - and not in a good way!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 PM) : 

she's really confused! she wears color, but she's got that i-am-so-bored face.! i don't really think that this works..i would like to see her shoes, though..! helen=)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting