This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street......Outside Regent Park, London

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Monday, October 15, 2007

On The Street......Outside Regent Park, London

Finding gentlemen like this is what keeps me going....and on my toes.

So I stop this gentleman and say I would love to take a photo of him.

"Everyone wants to take a picture of me " he replies.

When someone says something like that, you realize you are on a short leash and I could just as easily talk myself out of a photo.

I have found that the more honest I am with the subject, the more the subject appreciates it. They know they are characters.

So I say" I don't doubt it, you're quite the character." That seemed to get him.

"Well, hurry up with it then, my wife is waiting" he says and then he stood completely still while I took five or six shots.

I always am a little in awe of someone that can stand so still when they are having their photo taken.

He didn't check himself, he didn't adjust anything, he didn't ask to see the photo afterwards.

He basically just said - here I am, take your best shot.

Comments on "On The Street......Outside Regent Park, London"

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (9:38 AM) : 

This gentleman is the coolest cat around. I love the look in his eyes - "Take the picture already so I can be on my way!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 AM) : 

My,he sure looks like a garden brownie or elf-don´t know what you call them back there in the States.What I mean is that he looks like those little creatures people put in their gardens to `decorate´them,which I personally think does just the opposite to the gardens.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 AM) : 

Another one of those shots. Timeless. A beautiful photograph. Definitely needs to be in your favorites. And your book, someday.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 AM) : 

Fantastic - Only in England is there a genuine love of old clothing as I sit here in my 34yr old tweed jacket

 

Blogger Butch said ... (10:14 AM) : 

All great--and all lived in, which may be the best part.

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (10:27 AM) : 

This portrait is wonderful. You are our John Singer Sargent!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

a true original...true to himself, comfortable in who he is. i would love to share a meal with him and listen to what he has to say.

 

Blogger ricpic said ... (10:45 AM) : 

Russian expat's my guess.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:48 AM) : 

love it- can't wait to get to london next week!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:12 AM) : 

grumpy stylish old man make me weak in the knees.
he is uberchic.
and he is obiviously not wearing a single fashion label.
that is something that i am trying to achieve as well, to me, that is true style and creativity.

 

Blogger Disneyrollergirl.net said ... (11:14 AM) : 

Great story.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

Anon 9:50--Do you mean a gnome? That's what I thought of when I saw this photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 AM) : 

i think he is rather stylish

 

Blogger LallaLydia said ... (11:24 AM) : 

Very dapper in an Old World kind of way...Serendipity of the moment. (I equally enjoyed hearing how you approached the subject and would like to read more in the future if possible...I've always wondered how you ask people whether or not you can take a picture, and their reaction to it.)

 

Blogger UESman said ... (11:27 AM) : 

Reminds me of Giuseppe Garibaldi! I really admire this man's broken-in attire. It projects a certain ease in one's clothes which is hard to come by.

 

Blogger Emily said ... (11:40 AM) : 

I love his look. It's fantastic.

And can I say that I wish you had posted this one two days ago. We had the dreaded family portraits yesterday and that attitude "here I am, take your best shot" would have helped me relax a bit. Something to keep in mind for next time, I suppose.

 

Blogger Deirdre said ... (11:47 AM) : 

Love the teal vest. Velvet? Perfect color and texture. Hat rocks too.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (11:53 AM) : 

Amazing photo, Scott! Wonderful. This is one of my all-time favourite pics bar none.

I love what's going on here: the battered tweed jacket, red scarf, weskit, olive cords, wool cap. Note the tightly rolled umbrella, which I imagine he uses to fend off hooligans, scoundrels, and assorted up-to-no-gooders.

This guy looks like a gentleman farmer or an explorer. Because I like his clothes, I give this old boy a pass on his facial hair and brown shoes (brown in town?). The risk with this sort of look is that it can resemble scarecrow chic, like Worzel Gummidge, but I think this chap pulls it off with flying colours.

Bravo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 AM) : 

I don't believe your story of the encounter one bit but it's an amazing shot nonetheless

 

Blogger GRAVE LITTLE MAURICE said ... (11:57 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (11:59 AM) : 

nice story

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

Great pic, he looks like an old legionnaire.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:09 PM) : 

To anon 9:50, perhaps you're thinking of a garden gnome.

I think he has more of a Russian feel 'cuz of the hat but looking at the vest (denim?) and scarf, he does indeed seem to be made of sartorial material!

Nice find,
mltt

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (12:11 PM) : 

He's a classic-reminds me of my grandfather!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (12:28 PM) : 

For Anon 11:53

Why?

do you think the story was more dramatic or less dramatic?

If I made it up, I would make it more interesting

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:30 PM) : 

thats pretty funny. he does look like one of those garden elves.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 PM) : 

Well, I'm suprised more people haven't mentioned the fact that this man looks exactly like a glorified garden gnome.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:03 PM) : 

wew...
I'm sure that you won't found kinda of that in 3rd world country, especially in Indonesia. ^^

 

Blogger Cristina Redondo said ... (1:11 PM) : 

wow! it's looks like the traditional suits of CATalonia!!!

 

Blogger Nichelle D. Tramble said ... (1:19 PM) : 

I just loved this guy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:27 PM) : 

Hey Sart! even if u made up that story I don't care!!! the photo says it all and that's what matters!!!

totally agree with 11:12AM that is true style and creativity!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:44 PM) : 

That is one gorgeous lad, no matter what his age - another great find, Sart!

 

Blogger stacy said ... (2:17 PM) : 

I believe what you are describing is 'self-confidence.'

We should all take a page from his book when dressing ourselves. If you're just not sure, or have to keep adjusting your outfit to feel comfortable, then it's simply NOT working and that's the part, your insecurity, that people will see.

Dress so the finally addition to your outfit is a 'Cape of Confidence' and EVERYTHING will look great!

 

Blogger PRGirlLondon said ... (2:24 PM) : 

Sartorialist are you in London! Now I have reason to my washing. Please tell me you were at Frieze Fair snapping all the lovely get ups.

 

Blogger Elena Martinez said ... (2:55 PM) : 

Ricpic why do you get the Russian ex-pat vibe? Is it the hat? My dad and his whole circle wore those November through March 1962 through 1974.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 PM) : 

I wonder if he's an artist whose name we'd recognise? A painter or writer or musician?

An old chap like this has surely been sartorially stylish since the day he left his mother's womb.

-- desertwind

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:03 PM) : 

PS -- I'm also very curious about his wife, too.

-- desertwind

 

Blogger fashion evolution said ... (3:22 PM) : 

It was fun reading about your experience taking the picture, I would love to see you incorporate this kind of storytelling even more :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:35 PM) : 

This man is ADORABLE. He reminds me of a garden gnome! And his responses make him even more wonderful.

Love love love!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 PM) : 

This is just a wonderful choice and a great shot. He is a "character", and yet completely unforced and legitimate in his persona. I think that is why he comes across so well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Completely agree with lulamae. Not a label in sight, and truly puts himself together with his own vision. Ironically - he does look like Marc Jacobs got his hands on him. But better.

 

Blogger MacGuffin said ... (3:48 PM) : 

That's hilarious. I can just hear him saying that to you. Wonderful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:02 PM) : 

lovely. reminds me of a gnome. haha, seems like i'm the 3rd or 4th reader who says this!


honestlydead.wordpress
asianexpat.wordpress

 

Blogger caramimi said ... (4:04 PM) : 

And likewise, it is photos like this, that keep me coming back to your blog. I love your story, and can see that he is a total package, and not solely defined by his outfit. His assuredness is what I hope to achieve as I age.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:06 PM) : 

p.s. i am studying in Indiana U too! Which campus were you at? will you be visiting soon?



honestlydead.wordpress
asianexpat.wordpress

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:22 PM) : 

well it's not about being dramatic per se...who tells a stranger that everyone wants to take their pic( i doubt celebs even say that) plus how could he not want to see the pic!

anon 11:53

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 PM) : 

artist. certainment.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:59 PM) : 

curmudgeons are kinda sexy.
without your story, i would not have paid much attention to him
Anonymous 11:53am is a curmudgeon in training but not at the sexy level...still stuck in bitter.

 

Blogger Paris said ... (5:21 PM) : 

Love the picture. Love when you're telling a story.

And, he looks like my grandma. Very beautiful. She could have told you exatly the same thing. And she's always so still when I picture her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:29 PM) : 

I agree honesty is always appreciated

 

Blogger sewprimitive karen said ... (5:35 PM) : 

He looks great, love the clothes and his self-possession. Wonder what his wife looked like.

 

Blogger Needleforhire said ... (7:43 PM) : 

I like to think that this is what Jamesey will look like when he gets old....

I think the world would be a lovely, lovely place if all older gentlemen looked this dapper yet rumpled.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:00 PM) : 

Probably the coolest man I've seen on your blog. His style is so full of character it's almost unrealistic, yet it's not outrageous enough to push me away. Love the point of the hat repeated in the background spikes. ;)

 

Blogger ricpic said ... (9:51 PM) : 

Elena - The hat plus a certain aristocratic - White Russian - bearing. Just a hunch.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 PM) : 

i just love how the fence and his hat all point up. and with his vest and moustache, it's a study in chevrons. i bet he uses that umbrella because he's not ready to submit to a cane. or he's just doggedly overprepared on a sunny fall day. someone scolded him on wearing brown shoes, but nothing would suit his outfit better. he's selected a lovely combo of colors and textures. that vest has so much personality, though not to eclipse the wearer, of course.

he knows exactly what he looks like. that's why he didn't need to check himself. i can tell by that perfectly coiffed beard and hair that he spends an adequate amount of time in the mirror trimming, combing, adjusting his scarf and pocket square. people don't want to take his picture for nothing! and something else pleasing, is he wearing a large pinky ring on his left hand?? i certainly hope so.

 

Blogger cool said ... (11:12 PM) : 

team zissou!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 PM) : 

i like the punch of color, with the red scarf, in an otherwise subdued outfit

 

Blogger WendyB said ... (11:35 PM) : 

Great story and photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 PM) : 

he sounds like my idol -- a grand papa i wish i had!

 

Blogger Grace and Joe IV said ... (12:33 AM) : 

fantastic, great story also.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 AM) : 

lol, that is a funny story. he's quite dapper. bravo for forging ahead!

 

Blogger Cut of cloth said ... (4:40 AM) : 

He looks like himself...
comfortable...
at home in his own skin
someone who
doesn't give a fig
about what people think
This foto Opportunity is another
Sart Classique
Fresh Impromptu and Direct
in life we pass each other by
sometimes its good to stop
communicate
appreciate
and then
move
on
...
A Garden Gnome?
I don't think so!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 AM) : 

THIS is why I check your blog everyday. Just. Wow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:21 AM) : 

his is the best kind of love story. im sure he doesn't dress for anyone to look at him, he dresses as he's always dressed. im sure the only thing that changes for him is the hint more he loves his wife with each passing day.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 AM) : 

Santa? I knew you were real!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:07 PM) : 

Great photo, typical Frieze Art Fair character!

BTW it's Regents or Regent's Park - but I guess to a New Yorker Regent Park sounds natural because of Bryant Park etc.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:31 PM) : 

i love this! i really like seeing people that care about what they look like and take the time to present themselves. This man is such a gentleman!

People like this always inspire me.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:40 PM) : 

I want to be him when I grow up.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:44 PM) : 

It's all about the neckerchief.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 PM) : 

And by the way, he looks like a sitter for Manet.

 

Blogger DDW said ... (1:00 AM) : 

who is this guy? he looks like a victorian busker. he could be a chimney-sweep, or a millonaire artist playboy. the neckerchief really sends me.

 

Blogger Alice said ... (1:25 PM) : 

great photo, great subject. but he sounded like an ass. he obviously wants some sort of attention for wearing an outfit like that, so he shouldn't be rude to someone (esspecially you) who wants to take his picture. rude elf.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:15 AM) : 

I love this picture! The love child of a garden gnome and an English professor. ;)

But seriously, I love the perfectly put together warn and rumpled pieces. A lovely photo and a great story.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 PM) : 

It is photo's like this that has made me an ADDICT to your site. Keep it rolling!

 

Blogger Calenna said ... (1:51 AM) : 

I love this self-assured old grump. His umbrella-cane, his hat - the colors. But what I also love is the corresponding commentary from you, Sart! I always find that whenever you DO decide to post an extra comment, that I really take the time to read your musings and study the character in the spotlight. Give us more color commentary, please!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 PM) : 

he's so cute i want to squish him

like seriouslyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy //!!......******

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:13 PM) : 

At what age can one start dressing like this? Is now the time?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 PM) : 

this one is so DISARMING...the wife, i wish we saw the wife...

perfect. his vest. his scarf. his hat. his face

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting