This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.....Dynamic Understatement, Central Hong Kong

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, October 25, 2007

On the Street.....Dynamic Understatement, Central Hong Kong



Very well done

Couple of things
- This is minimalism at its best
narrow color scheme that uses texture and surface detail to deliver a huge impact

- matte sequins for day

- surprisingly sexy and yet not obvious

- love the extra short skirt with the extra long sleeve - great play on proportions

Again, I don't think any of the individual items are very expensive it is all in the way she mixed the elements

Comments on "On the Street.....Dynamic Understatement, Central Hong Kong"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:19 AM) : 

love it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:22 AM) : 

Love how you stated the details!

 

Blogger stacy said ... (10:24 AM) : 

I couldn't agree with your commentary more.

I'm a HUGE fan of bare legs and covered arms or vice versa. It keeps the mystery alive.

And, while I appreciate designer clothing, I usually cannot afford it. Yet I also feel 'done' and stylish. Savvy shopping and styling my friends!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 AM) : 

this is one of my favorite ensembles ever. thank you for your wonderful photography and your lovely blog!

 

Blogger odini said ... (10:47 AM) : 

wow that is really gorgeous. she totally inspired me!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (11:01 AM) : 

LOVE the layers and gray color variation!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 AM) : 

This is a great shot - the commentary by Sart is spot-on!

Excellent! Looking forward to more pictures from this region.

 

Blogger Cardigans and Couture said ... (11:19 AM) : 

This is perfection! She mixes hues, textures, and lengths beautifully. Often times I try this and cannot get it right...be it that I do not have the right pieces, or admitedly, I simply don't execute it well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 AM) : 

Gorgeous. I love the HK shots you've posted so far. Can't wait to see more.

 

Blogger Johanna said ... (11:37 AM) : 

I love how the layering of the translucent sequined tank against the simple cotton tee causes you - or caused me, anyway - to look three or four times to figure out what's going on.

Question, though: what is that furry green and white item in her hand? A hat? A handbag?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:45 AM) : 

oh my , this is so perfect and inspiring

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

love the whole outfit, I would admire the same things if she walked past me in the street.

The shoes are my favourite part.

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (12:30 PM) : 

Sart, you captured an aesthetic that is very popular in Asia (especially HK and Japan), that is the layered look.

And this girl is a perfect example of it. Multi-layers of thin fabrics of different colors, textures and designs are laid one on top of the other to create a unique look that cannot be easily replicated by anyone else.

 

Blogger pearlaceous said ... (12:36 PM) : 

Layering at it's best.. I love how each piece adds a consecutive layer, and this is proof that sequins are not only for night :) I'm dying to know what's that grassy eggy thing in her hand lol looks interesting..

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:45 PM) : 

gorgeous!!! those textures. those colors. wow.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (12:49 PM) : 

Agree with everything you said. Especially the layering - beautiful and subtle. I also like the second 'detail' shot with the contrasting yellow lines/angles - great photo!

 

Blogger Jane Flanagan said ... (1:09 PM) : 

Great texture, lovely sparkle, these soft greys get me everytime!

 

Blogger Ms. Moneypenny said ... (1:09 PM) : 

This sequin combo is now my desktop. Inspiration for the day.

Love, Ms. M

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:14 PM) : 

lovely and very sexy. i want her skirt!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:18 PM) : 

Layered, but still restrained, particularly in terms of the colour palette: white and greys --very nice!
I love your descriptions --I know you don't always have time, but please indulge when you can!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:19 PM) : 

Fascinating!

More from Hong Kong, please.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 PM) : 

I love the details in the skirt...oh, who am I kidding, I love the whole thing. It looks beautiful and effortless. Inspiring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

Good commentary, Sart. Very cool that we get a window into China.

 

Blogger Paul Pincus said ... (3:27 PM) : 

The second image is just so wonderful. You're a poet...and you didn't even know it! Seriously, the gray, the hand,...I love it.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (3:30 PM) : 

Daaaaaang,

that is GOOD.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 PM) : 

I adore you! She looks amazing, from her head down to her toes. Love it! Thanks for going into so much detail, geektastic man! Matte sequins during the day...heaven! You've inspired me! Enjoy the rest of your trip, look forward to more brilliant pics!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:25 PM) : 

the detail shot is fabulous!

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (6:21 PM) : 

Love her look! So beautiful! And I agree with what you've posted!
Perfect!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:25 PM) : 

Am I the only person who thinks nothing of this? I think she looks nice but, maybe because I'm asian, it kind of looks like anyone and everyone in my opinion.
I've only been to a few boutiques in HK but have you seen all the girls who work in boutiques in Tokyo?

 

Blogger LuvlyLuvly said ... (7:08 PM) : 

One of my favorites, so far. Very feminine, elegant--chic!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:52 PM) : 

I really liked the wole thing, the mixing, the proportions, the one gamma thing... BUT THE SANDALS!!! please... the have absolutly nothing to do with the rest of the outfit! (plus, they're ugly)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:46 PM) : 

Love these subtle looks. I am quite petite and have never been able to carry off anything very bold without "disappearing" in my clothing and love that you are showing these kinds of simple yet stunning looks. The textural aspect is something I will work with more.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 PM) : 

This looks as if it could have been presented as an ensemble in a show...like it was all made to be combined/worn together. It flatters her beautifully.
Sir, you seem inspired and moved by your travels to Asia.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 PM) : 

I have a piece that looks just like the one she is wearing at the bottom. I have never worn it despite buying it at least 2 years ago. I couldn't imagine how to pull it off. Now this lady from H.K. shows me exactly how! :) I'm so excited! Thanks for the inspiration whoever you are from Hong Kong!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 AM) : 

little pleats just drive me wild with delight! i giggle quietly to myself a little when i see them on the street.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:10 AM) : 

Sart, I would love to you visit Tokyo and photograph the the peop,e who frequent the Harujuki District

 

Blogger Blaise said ... (12:42 AM) : 

I love minimalism.. especially when textures and proportions are applied..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:42 AM) : 

There is something innocent and naughty about her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43 AM) : 

Kudos to her for pulling this together and kudos to you for have the sensitivity to notice every detail. Love it! One of my faves.

 

Blogger lala said ... (3:15 AM) : 

Great eye for detail !
i wouldn't have noticed the because its to subtle , but then i guess that is what separates the "sartorialists" from he rest of us folk ;)
i love the mix ! and the colors and pleats.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:27 AM) : 

this is BEAUTIFUL. Wow, wow, wow. Very impressed! And inspired.

 

Blogger Calenna said ... (8:37 AM) : 

Ooh this is fun! I like the pleated skirt under simpler cotton layers, and then matte sequins. Wow. I also love your second photo - the detail shot - that comes with your commentary. Great detail!

 

Blogger Imelda said ... (9:36 AM) : 

Wow, amazing outfit!!!

Greetz,
Imelda

 

Blogger Lauren Amery said ... (10:49 AM) : 

A modern flapper. The sequins, the silver pleats, the short hair. Nice to see someone bringing back vintage flair without succumbing to the latest "old is new again" trends.

 

Blogger yiuwai said ... (11:15 AM) : 

Can agree no more, a magnificent shot in this bustle city dominated with hiphops/japs style.
I am a HongKonger myself, I have to say that she makes not only the look, and her dedication to fashion. This place is HOT and humid, an environment you'll never feel good to style yourself up. You dont want to put on too much here. But she makes it, I admire not only her look and her dedication to fashion.

PS. Sart you must spend too much of your time to wait for a target to shoot. I know you do, in a city like this.

 

Blogger cami falcão said ... (12:02 PM) : 

great look! love the proportions and the grey, but those shoes are just awful.

 

Blogger lucy said ... (7:35 PM) : 

my new favourite- that cropped shot. mmm

 

Blogger blissmom said ... (9:21 PM) : 

i love her look
casual elegance with a kicky vibe
and i love the subdued sexuality

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:56 PM) : 

I want that outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:53 PM) : 

the green and white furry thing in her hand is a stuffed animal that hangs from her cellphone. they're all the rage in asia.

 

Blogger Paige said ... (2:52 AM) : 

Personally, I really like the "asian" fashion look mixed in with a european look. I'm sure there have probably been developed styles that mix in together asian and european, but lately on your blog, I've noticed a trend in a bit much european trends. Not that I dislike it, just that sometimes a change in pace is really nice. I really love your eye for finding the subtleties in fashion. I think the best fashion is in it's small intricacies and thought into what one is wearing. And I just used a bunch of words that I'm sure aren't even real.

But also, I love how inexpensive clothing can still be made into impacting fashion designs. I think with fashion, it's all about how it looks in the end. Of course fabric usage and sewing techniques are good efforts of fashion, I personally love how one can make good fashion with the most simplest, inexpensive things.

That right there is true creativity and true art. Anyways, I might also be mumbling about inexpensive clothing because I happen to be young with not a lot of money. Who has time to spend money on expensive clothing when you are to busy living life! (And I don't mean buying all those pointless things.) Travel, food, necessities, how much more can I afford on fashion! Not that I travel, but I've been saving....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:55 AM) : 

love your HK posts!!! it's so inspiring when you show shots of women with great personal style, who aren't fashion insiders, and who manage to do it on the cheap!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:21 PM) : 

I agree, it's a brilliant use of materials and proportions.

She looks great.

Lily
BeautyMaverick.com

 

Blogger DC Goodwill Fashionista said ... (6:22 PM) : 

The layering is perfect; the color, sublime. -the DCGF

 

Blogger treschic said ... (6:28 PM) : 

the monocromatic colour scheme makes this outfit feel so romantic

 

Blogger The Employee said ... (8:32 PM) : 

Love the white makeup. I'm pretty sure that Lanvin (probably confused the show though)featured like highlighting on its runway.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:46 PM) : 

I'm going to Hong Kong & Shanghai in 3 weeks, Hope I'll see such nice images!!!

 

Blogger La Purpura said ... (4:52 PM) : 

Me thinks : this type of very light grey is very difficult, it doesn´t favor almost anybody. I mean, it "hoovers" the glow away and underlines wrong shades in a skin. It easily converts any piece of clothing into a sort of pyjamas.So me thinks this ensemble would be nicer in other colors.

 

Blogger Julian Jesus said ... (10:11 PM) : 

I don't see this look having been as calculated as you believe it to be. In my opninion, she actually manages to make even her sequins look somewhat necessary and immediate. It's part of the landscape. She might have surprised herself that morning as much as she surprised you.

 

Blogger Carol Diehl said ... (10:16 PM) : 

This is very sweet and beautiful. Elegant, casual, fashionable without looking as if she's trying...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:15 AM) : 

I really like the way asian girls mix their clothes, and I think is because this special combination of proportions, lovely!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 PM) : 

Lovely detail.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 AM) : 

the fabrics make me itch just looking at them

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 PM) : 

stunning, its a perfect balance of long and short and very inderectly sexy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:11 PM) : 

love this. one thing-the shoes. i'll even take the color combination, but it wouldve looked better with a strap ala mary janes.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting