This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

GQ Oct. Cover

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

GQ Oct. Cover

This is one of the most shockingly perfect covers i have ever seen. I hate to gush but wow!
Recently i discussed the VF Best Dressed List, though I wasn't a big fan of the VF list I have to say that the GQ list of 50 "Most Stylish Men" is very good. The choices are well done and the images chosen to illustrate those choices are superb.

ok, enough GQ for the day

Comments on "GQ Oct. Cover"

 

Blogger MacGuffin said ... (6:21 PM) : 

Oooh, I can't wait to get this issue!!!

 

Blogger E.H.R said ... (6:26 PM) : 

I thought Tom Brady was kind of a strange choice for 50 most stylish men of all time, especially since Fred Astaire and the Duke of Windsor didn't make it on the list. Almost too bad that Lapo didn't make it, but I guess his grandfather upholds the family name for them.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:29 PM) : 

the list is for the last 50 years

too late for the Duke of Windsor and too late for the best of Fred Astaire...and you know how much I love Fred Astaire

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:36 PM) : 

I will never love another man as much as I love Paul Newman, and I am only 18! God Bless GQ!

 

Blogger The Federalist said ... (6:38 PM) : 

I am just glad they went with the classic font and cover design. The fonts on the covers changed after Jim Nelson took over editorial duties. I think it looks perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:09 PM) : 

Nice to see that Paul Newman gets some recognition with the pride of the cover -- he is always well dressed and his grooming is even better. Looking forward to getting this issue.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:10 PM) : 

is that the sart on the cover?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:16 PM) : 

most of the list is great, but i always thought Mr. Rogers had great style. he'd be on my list (along with quite a few from GQ's).

 

Blogger simplyolive said ... (7:23 PM) : 

gorgeous cover!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:46 PM) : 

WOW! That cover is truly amazing. The computer re-touching is phenominal. Its kinda surreal to look at, like when the cgi elvis was on American Idol, singing and dancing. As for the actual list of people, I think that some are true masters of their own style. However, I tend to stray from the generic super-famous lists which GQ and other mens magazines have always generated. It looks like a pretty comprehensive list, though. Everyone from the mainstream to the little known.

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (7:52 PM) : 

I haven't seen the list yet, but something tells me I'm not going to like it. How does it differ from every other list today that merely features the same spoiled actors and athletes? Compare it to George Frazier's list of the best-dressed men in the US, which he compiled in 1960 for Esquire and included such men as Fred Astaire, Dean Acheson, Bill Blass, Clark Gable, Cary Grant, and many others, the majority of whom were prominent in traditional social, political, and financial circles. That standards have fallen considerably, almost but not quite goes without saying. I hope to be proved wrong.

 

Blogger Zaydoun said ... (8:16 PM) : 

What a perfect cover.. Paul Newman is king!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:28 PM) : 

Yeah, that cover is fantastic!

GQ added a lot of the content onto their site today (I must confess that I am constantly checking the site at this time of the month, anticipating a preview of the new issue), and the issue looks fantastic.

I didn't want to ruin the features by reading too much into them, but I was thrilled to see that Steve McQueen, Marcello Mastroianni, Jean-Paul Belmondo, and (specifically 70s era) Redford each made the list, as they are four of my personal style icons. I was also glad to see people such as Woody Allen on the list, who although not a perfect sartorialist, had a distinct look that has stood up over time.

As far as the covers go, they're all so great, but my personal favorites are Newman, Redford, Ali, and Brady. Currently I'm leaning towards the Redford one.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:35 PM) : 

I was really glad to see Marcello Mastroianni made it onto that list. Not enough can be said for his impeccably subtle and classic style. bravo, GQ.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:37 PM) : 

Ah, Paul Newman. Gorgeous man.

 

Blogger Le Raconteur said ... (9:10 PM) : 

Wow. Astounding. I don't know if I can wait for mine in the mail...so if I buy one now, the other will be a collector's edition.

 

Blogger Blaise said ... (9:40 PM) : 

Wonderful picture for that cover.. i can't stop looking at it..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 PM) : 

Paul Newman would win my vote for "most handsome gentleman at any age". He still looks amazing and well polished at the age of 70 odd that he is now and looks absolutely dishy on this GQ cover. Hot stuff. I tell you, if I was thirty years older...

 

Blogger riz said ... (10:36 PM) : 

Wow - David Hockney rocks. He looks amazing!!! brilliant color.

 

Blogger DeepBlueSea said ... (11:18 PM) : 

Newman was always the one who my dad (who is about 5 years younger) would jokingly say he most resembled.

OK, maybe Dad was more like Newman than Burt Reynolds, Robert Redford or other heart-throbs of the 60s and 70s but it was mostly wishful thinking...

Still, Newman will always make me think of Dad, and his sense of humour.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:23 PM) : 

Amazing list. It is on line. I just spent 2 hours reading and relishing the photographs (and all 50 GQ covers). There are some unexpected, wonderful selections (Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Malcom X!) The thoughtful essays are excellent. SADLY, NO FRED ASTAIRE. I LOVE HIM!! Thanks to your site, I am again watching his glorious dancing!

Love you site - Keep up the good work!!

 

Blogger riz said ... (1:32 AM) : 

here's another great man of style -Bryan Ferry:

http://modeutopie.blogspot.com/2007/09/british-man-of-style-bryan-ferry.html

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:12 AM) : 

nice cover beautiful paul newman !!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:21 AM) : 

Ohh my God !! paul newman is so stunningly beautiful here !!

Well I suppose that, unlike Vanity Fair our président Nicolas Sarkozy (for the French)is not in the list ;-)
Because he is a leaving proof tha even in a Slimane suit you need a bit of allure to look good in it...

 

Blogger Neil MacLean said ... (6:40 AM) : 

I'm gonna be mad if I get the Tom Brady cover in the mail..because the Paul Newman version is about perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:03 AM) : 

Is it possible that Paul Newman is the most attractive man who has EVER lived???

 

Blogger MacGuffin said ... (8:04 AM) : 

Any best dressed list that begins with Marcello Mastroianni and ends with Cary Grant can't be too far off the mark.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:16 AM) : 

Wow, that is one extremely great cover of an extremely attractive Paul Newman. I see what you mean about the cover, it certainly does grab you... and in the all right places.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:37 PM) : 

I have to say the omission of a certain two contemporaries to Andre "3000" Benjamin are shocking! No Kanye West and no Pharrell Williams?? Along with Mr. Benjamin, these gentleman have both returned what it means to be stylish and original to out much mislead "MTV" youth as any other artist out there. Sart, all, thoughts?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:48 PM) : 

Can anyone name a more beautiful male celebrity than Mr Newman? He makes today's Hollywood stars look like trolls.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (1:59 PM) : 

Anon 1:37
I was voting for Morris Day!

I bet Kanye will be a cover soon.

I do know that everyone at GQ really loves Kayne and he performed at the event. My only guess is maybe he just has been on the scene as long as "Andre 3000" plus Andre 3000's look is very original.

I don't think Pharrell's look is quite strong enough to fit in to a top 50

What about Armani?

The only choice I challenge is Michael Caine but he was Alfie right? so maybe it was just too much before my time

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 PM) : 

Paul Newman is the most all-time beautiful man alive, ever to live in the universe. That image is shocking. Cannot wait to get that issue.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:05 PM) : 

WOW!...but when I walked past a store today, it was the Johnny Depp cover that parted me from my $4....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:42 PM) : 

I hope I get my issue in the mail soon! I still have the 45th anniversary issue with the Heidi Klum popping out of the cake cover.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:45 PM) : 

federalist, actually they are still using several weights and widths of the Titling Gothic font that they have used for a little over a year. It's a bit more subdued on this cover. The big 50 at the top is set in Gotham, which GQ originally commisioned.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (5:27 PM) : 

david hockney!!

Mr Newman looks cool.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:47 PM) : 

no space for Manolo Blahnik?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 PM) : 

oh the salt and pepper hair. gorgeous. i forsee a new found appreciation for grey slowly emerging. ooh he's rugged and refined! such a babe. looking like this, with wrinkles and greys, sure beats people like Hasslehoff, who will now look freakish (i'm sorry, but really. i hope for his sake he gets that fixed) for the rest of their lives because they couldn't help but fight the losing battle against aging. it's natural, and all the telltale signs people are so desperate to erase are really badges earned. i hope our youth-obsessed culture will start to grow up. mind you, i'm 24, and i understand it takes a little effort to age gracefully, and i suppose there's nothing wrong with some subtle "upkeep" later on, but a youthful mind and heart is so much more becoming than buying a youthful new face. actually, forget that. let's celebrate wisdom, rather than youth, for a change. ok, i'm done.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:06 PM) : 

Tom Brady? Are they angling to get a Tom and Gisele photo shoot? Haven't seen the list but I expect some disappointment. Any list should include Gordon Parks, Miles Davis, Paul Weller, Duke Ellington, Bryan Ferry, Wynton Marsalis, Reginald Lewis and Bernard Henri Levy for starters.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36 PM) : 

Sart,

Michael Caine definitely deserves to be on the list. He epitomized that 60s/70s English style that is ever so prevalent in recent cultural history (hence his appearance in that Austin Powers film). The only one who rivals him from that time period is David Bailey.

I recommend you check out some of Caine's films such as Alfie, Get Carter, The Ipcress File, and Pulp. Each is an excellent example of exactly why Caine deserves to be on the list (not to mention that they're quite good, as well).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:26 PM) : 

The Ipcress File introduced the world to thick, black-framed, plastic frames I believe. I still envy my friends with less than par sight just because I want a pair so badly. (I'd look so much smarter!)

 

Blogger tintin said ... (1:54 PM) : 

Al Pacino's cover got my 4 bucks yesterday. The photo spreads of the 70s GQ were horrifying. No wonder I read Esquire. In the 80s M- The Civilized Man got my money. In the 90s it was time to buy the UK issues of Esquire and GQ. And so it is today.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:24 PM) : 

That can't be a recent photo of Paul Newman. Can it?? The most beautiful man ever.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 PM) : 

i just got a copy of GQ50. It's pretty thick! but it's pretty good too. Just one ( o.k. 2) things:

the 50 most stylish list is 48 strong, really strong, choices and two absolute duds.

kurt cobain is not a style icon. he's a sloppy junkie who killed himself.

pete doherty is not a style icon. he's a junkie with money and a stylist who happens to be skinny enough for dior homme.

to put these two on the same list with the likes of sean connery, gianni agnelli, marcello mastroianni and j.f.k. is downright insulting. i don't mean to use this blog to spew sour grapes, but come on, right?

other than that i've been enjoyuing the issue, especially the call for the return of "eisenhower chic."
whoever coined that phrase wins the gold star for the day.

 

Blogger Jane Flanagan said ... (3:36 PM) : 

I'm simultaneously delighted and irked to see Beckett on there. I'm pretty sure style was the last thing on his mind and his wardrobe choices (polo necks and tweed) simply betray his Irishman in Paris life. That said, I do love Beckett's hawkish look, just not nearly as much as I love his work.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:21 AM) : 

i mean, come ON could he look any better? really just a beautiful man!!! a classic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 PM) : 

Pacino is the man. Very intresting face. It was between Pacino and Newman. Pacino edged him out for my $4. Brady is so boring and generic. Why does GQ give him so much love? He's graced the pages of the magazine numerous times lately.

 

Blogger Alfredo Mora Manzano said ... (6:26 PM) : 

Personally I would have left Tom Brady out to include the Beatles... Where are the Beatles??? Ringo specially

 

Blogger Neil MacLean said ... (8:29 AM) : 

well, I got the JFK cover.. not as great as PN, but not Tom Brady either. The list was probably not perfect, but it's an excellent issue of GQ (which has become much better than Esquire) and the style "tips" attached to each style icon was a nice touch.

 

Blogger Mr. Rover said ... (12:08 AM) : 

I was flipping through my Sean Connery cover issue again today...
I still wish they had included Fred Astaire in the list.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting