This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

GQ @ 50 Party

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

GQ @ 50 Party

GQ had it's 50th anniversary party last night in New York and what a bash!!

Kanye West performed a private show that rocked (would "rocked" be correct for hip-hop singing?)

I didn't bring my regular camera because I just wanted to have fun but once the show started the photographer in me took over and I broke out the cellphone camera.

Anyway, the cover of the Oct GQ that I got is really cool.
It has an old image of Paul Newman which is shocking in it's perfection.
I'm asking if I can scan it and post it today.
I'm telling you, it will be the first thing you see this month when you walk into Barnes & Noble or Kroger's (Indy Supermarket) or any newsstand.

The old covers and review of the last fifty years inside is really incredible - it would have been perfect beach reading or long plane trip to Europe reading!

Comments on "GQ @ 50 Party"

 

Blogger Butch said ... (9:11 AM) : 

Great news on the cover!

Your evocation--the right word?--of GQ's history takes me back (I won't say how far) to the days when I wrote for them....the mag has undergone many an editorial twist and turn since then, finally settling into what it's been for the last decade or so.

Nothing like poring through old issues--the 70s, let's say--to see that fashion is indeed, well, just that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 AM) : 

For a well-dressed gent who transcends several soundscapes, I'd agree "rocking" is quite appropriate for Mr. West.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:46 AM) : 

I love how excited you sound in this post... but dammit, it's contagious and now I want GQ October!

 

Blogger Meeting Trader said ... (10:09 AM) : 

Congratulations, Sart! Your cellphone picture of Kanye is also very impressive! Looking forward to seeing the issue.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:10 AM) : 

this is how i know you are a proper photographer - you can take great photos with your camera phone. I am jealous!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:20 AM) : 

Congrats on the GQ cover. Yes it is perfectly ok to say that a hip-hop show rocked :) From the looks of the pic, it looks like it rocked! You even have great photography skills with a camera phone!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

I think "slammin" might work better in this context? I think hugging LL was maybe the highlight of the evening for me. Still looking fine.

 

Blogger JO said ... (11:06 AM) : 

What an incredible picture of Kayne West!! I can't believe you captured that with just your cell phone - you blow my mind!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:14 AM) : 

I'm little disappointed. Are you that kind of people able to have fun on rap/hip-hop music?

Anyway, i'm a sartorialist fan.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (11:21 AM) : 

let me be honest...
I took about 50 crap shots to get that one good one

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:28 AM) : 

my favorite thing about this post: the shoutout to kroger! seriously, no one in nyc has ever heard of kroger unless they're transplants from elsewhere in the country.

 

Blogger Piggy Bank Think Tank said ... (12:20 PM) : 

Love the big ups to Kroger - I just moved to NYC from Indiana!
And I can't believe (well, actually I can) how good your cellphone pic is. I would have never thought that was taken on a cell camera. (BTW I don't really say 'big ups' it just seemed to fit with the hip hop theme)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 PM) : 

For hip hop, you can always say it was poppin'.

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (12:26 PM) : 

I subscribed to GQ as a college student (I'm a guy) and I still flip through it once in awhile...and I have to admit, it is not the most exciting fashion magazine. I guess I'm not in the demographic of their intended readers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:17 PM) : 

Your photos are a daily inspiration...what an eye you have. And I'm delighted to know that my home state produced such an illustrious export!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:27 PM) : 

Which cellphone do you have? How many megapixels? My cellphone pics never come out that great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

To Anony 11:14am:

Sart is an artist and artists appreciate other artist's work.

You obviously don't know who Kanye West is.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:49 PM) : 

Piggly Wiggly!

(I just wanted to shout out my favorite regional supermarket name)

-- desertwind

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:41 PM) : 

kroger! lets not limit that grocer to indiana alone...michigan has them as well!

 

Blogger Eli said ... (4:25 PM) : 

This is a fantastic photo from a purely compositional view, the patterns of light, the X created by his body and arms, the colors. Lots of energy in this! Cell phone cameras have come a long way it seems but do you not carry an elph or other small digital with you? Granted still a little bulky for dancing and having fun. I like the quiet grace of your street fashion shots but it's nice to see this more dynamic shot as well.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 PM) : 

Yay! You mentioned Krogers, do they have that in NY? I love that place (low prices) and ,by the by, that's a pretty nice camera phone you must have.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:33 PM) : 

That picture is fantastic, Sart. Although it clearly looks different from the rest of your photos, I never would have guessed that it was taken with a camera phone.

I can imagine that the party must have been quite an experience, and for some reason, although he has made many a questionable fashion decision in the past, Kanye seems like the perfect option to perform at such a party.

 

Blogger marie said ... (12:41 PM) : 

I have a Blackberry Curve that has a 2 MP camera and I have not been able to get a good photo of any moving object/person with it. :(

That is a great photo! What brand and model of phone do you have?

 

Blogger Three Repute said ... (2:26 AM) : 

was kanye still complaining about the vmas? what a douche.

 

Blogger Loonytick said ... (9:25 AM) : 

Another who loved the Kroger shout-out. I'm often dran to the magazine aisle there before I start picking up perishables when I've got a little time and am doing the grocery shopping without the kids. A little glance at Vogue, a few minutes with Glamour..."Krogers," as we always call it, is huge down here in the South. And did you know they own about five other chains? I once got my Kroger card to work at a Ralph's out in LA.

Anyway, I love that Kanye shot, and all your photographs, but had never gotten around to commenting. The Kroger mention just pulled me right out of the woodwork.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting