This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street.......Via Gesu, Milan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, August 09, 2007

On The Street.......Via Gesu, Milan

Comments on "On The Street.......Via Gesu, Milan"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 AM) : 

erh, those pants? what to say about those pants. speechless

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:41 AM) : 

love that shirt(vivienne westwood) bought it three colours. it has become my summer staple. i wear it with shorts, trousers, jeans- just can't get enough.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (9:41 AM) : 

I've seen these drop-crotch pants quite a bit, but can't get past the painful memories they bring up of Hammer-time muscle pants circa 1990.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

Sexy man...except for those pants..

 

Blogger elizabeth said ... (10:07 AM) : 

Handsome man, great shirt...horrid pants. Playing with proportion and volume is all good and well except when it looks as though you could smuggle a small child and a sack of potatoes in your trousers!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

That´s right : Help us adjust our eyes and minds to ways of dressing we´re not used to.
So inspiring and exiting !
Make fashion and style live and develop .

Thank you Scott for all the pictures on this site !!!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:13 AM) : 

plaid is back..couldnt get around to imagining it on normal people, but i think he just convinced me

 

Blogger Mr. Fletcher said ... (10:40 AM) : 

please, not hammer-pants, please...

M

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 AM) : 

The guy looks fairly attractive and well-meaning, but hm, how would you say, his groin seems to have a strong, strong attraction to the center of the earth.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:40 AM) : 

are the pants CDG? pretty much the same cut as the fall women's show...

regardless, he looks fantastic-- ridiculous in the best possible way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:46 AM) : 

It's pictures like this that have caused me to look at your blog less and less.

 

Blogger Ere said ... (11:47 AM) : 

these pants...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:51 AM) : 

I like his shirt, but it's weirdly sloppy the way it's worn. However, those pants look like he's hiding a 20 pound tumor on his thigh.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

That looks like a shirt he made into shorts: i.e. sewed the bottom of shirt together leaving room for legs and turned sleeves inside & stitched up for pockets. a wide necked shirt could do this... I might just try it myself for some "bloomer style" play shorts.

he's fabulous and original!

 

Blogger handmade said ... (12:52 PM) : 

Ooooohhh I looove those pants ...they're very, very arabian nightesque ! (i'll make me some these weekend !) beijos

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM) : 

is that elephantiatis in your pants or are you just happy to see the sart?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:24 PM) : 

Works for me!

 

Blogger J.P. said ... (1:32 PM) : 

The guy looks great (especially love the shirt and the bag). The pants are horrendous though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:45 PM) : 

he could wear anything and look great. it's all about him, not the clothes. extremely interesting and sexy!

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (1:54 PM) : 

for Anon 11:48
The fact that this man is posted next to Fred Astaire is what I am proud of in the blog - a true range of styles
to me if i skewed one way more than another the blog would less interesting.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:00 PM) : 

The first time EVER(!) that I like the "baggy" shorts/trouser element. Great personal style this man has (though I can only imagine the reception in central Milan!). I think that the "relative" convention of the shirt is necessary for the look to be successful, however.

 

Blogger Victor Castro said ... (2:29 PM) : 

Citing, one of the MANY anonymous:

"It's pictures like this that have caused me to look at your blog less and less"

If you don't like it, move on to another picture or just simply don't visit.

Why use "anonymous"...? nothing to be ashame about... maybe your sence of style...? but then again, we don't see you... thank goodness!

Oh and about the look, I REALLY DON'T SEE "HAMMER PANTS HERE"! He carries this look very well! I know it's all in the eye of the beholder... but alot of you are missing it... it's not a bad thing that you are.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:26 PM) : 

Agree that it looks like a shirt that was transformed into shorts/capris. Not that I don't dislike them, but they are not "Hammer pants."

mltt

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 PM) : 

A dohti is always charming.

I think.

-- desertwind

 

Blogger zuccotto said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Sexy guy with what-the-hell style... I think it works, but it works in part because of his own physique and demeanor.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:20 PM) : 

Sart,

I love your blog because you show such a wide range of styles! Thank you! While his pants do remind me of Hammertime, I absolutely LOVE his shirt and he is an attractive fellow.

 

Blogger Sam said ... (4:49 PM) : 

Was something wrong with my comment about him looking homeless? You seem to only post my comments when they agree with your opinion. Interesting...

 

Blogger Kid said ... (4:55 PM) : 

I don't know what everyone has against the pants! They look really comfortable, and echo the kind of whole plantation-worker vibe has going on (is that just me?). I'm all for new shapes...and I love his elegantly gray hair.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:21 PM) : 

Right on, Sart. I love this photo!! The first thing I thought was, "Westwood," and I'm glad someone could confirm. The thing is, he's so casual and effortless, the crazy Westwood shapes are actually subtle and subersive!! I'm overwhelmed by his utter coolness. -from PDX, OR

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:06 PM) : 

The shirt is fantastic. Gingham is by far my favorite pattern, especially oversized like on the shirt this fellow is wearing.

However unique and comfortable those pants are, I find them aesthetically unpleasant and jarring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:16 PM) : 

Such a cool look ... if only the pants were less gathered? I don't know the word even...maybe it's the angle.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (8:18 PM) : 

to Sam McTickle

Are you really so dense as to wonder why I might take offense to you calling someone you don't know "homeless". Interesting.....and dense

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:32 PM) : 

How does he manage to button his cuffs around his elbows??

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (9:53 PM) : 

love the Vraka pants!!!
totaly cool...he looks like he's ready to go fishing!

 

Blogger Bobby D. said ... (9:57 PM) : 

I think he looks OK, a good summer casual look-- I wouldn't go "Bleh" if I saw him on the street.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:00 PM) : 

ack, i'd have to say that if there's any factor that wants me to "look at this blog less and less," it's all the purely negative and judgemental comments about any creatively disagreeable look. whatever. but fortunately for me, the sart delivers again and again with photos that, regardless of whether i like or dislike, get or don't get, i believe demonstrate an integrity in vision and intention... right on.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 PM) : 

these pants are very folk-lore japanese
forget the Mc hammer comparison
open your minds people.
This guys rocks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16 PM) : 

Wow, those pants! I suspected they were some kind of ethnic attire, and just googled them using someone else's term 'dhoti'.

Yes they are genuine draped trousers worn by Indian men, and as such I wouldn't call them a 'fashion' item - unless they are ripoffs by a European designer who has gone to India and thought, hey, they look great, I might put them in my next collection.

He looks cool, comfortable and not at all as if he is trying hard to impress the fashion cognoscenti. Good on him!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:05 AM) : 

very westwood meets yohji,
in the grestest way possible.

 

Blogger fauxfauxreal said ... (12:59 AM) : 

i'm always surprised by how "upset" or "offended" some people sound in their comments when they don't like the style of the person pictured. i don't see the big offense of having different fashion sensibilities.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:25 AM) : 

It all works...even the pants.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:05 AM) : 

What in the world is this man wearing from the waist down???It looks like he has knotted a cloth with a safety pin.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:26 AM) : 

the shirt looks great, really suits him. the pants definitely won't work for everyone but he has the body that works it out.

What I do not like is the combination. both unique pieces, but together they are a bit overkill.

not a fan of the bag either.

 

Blogger Lisa Breslin said ... (7:53 AM) : 

I like the trousers, without them, the outfit would be just another outfit. I think they also give a nod to his cultural heritage. Ok, they wouldn't look great on everyone, but on this man, they work

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:21 AM) : 

This look could be ridiculous on so many men but on this man it looks fabulous. I see the grey hair but have no sense of his age. This makes him even more intriguing. He looks like a man with a very interesting story to tell.

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (10:04 AM) : 

Anastaciac has it nailed:they look like traditional Cretan Vraka pants - only those are worn with knee high leather boots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:43 AM) : 

Great look, great guy with charisma. Please can anyone tell me (german) what Hammerpants are? In my dictionary it's a tool...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:50 PM) : 

I've seen this sort of pants quite a bit lately (in pictures, alas, not here) and also in a rather good book whose name escapes me about the avante-gard and eighties fashion--in that instance, an eighties Girbaud ad. Also, now that I think about it, in a picture of people in various types of traditional Indian dress. They caught my eye in the eighties book, and I thought they were awful. But there's something great about them, a traditional/non-western cut that hasn't been assimilated to contemporary/traditional western fashion and so looks genuinely bizarre, startling and new. Also, they're anti-: what is one supposed to do but show the correctly-shaped body in the correct manner? These don't do that; they aren't about "sexy"...which is fantastic. In an inverse way, there's something so compelling and erotic about a style which refuses to prioritize glittering, correctly-commoditized "sexy".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:34 PM) : 

The pants look like eary Dries.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:13 PM) : 

Latley, I am getting very irritated at the posts on this blog..

Being critical is one thing, being blindly judgemental is another!

I find alot of people here tend to dismiss something completely or give over the top praise (and then often only if the person is really good-looking). ..

Yes, fashion is fickle, but it's also a creative outlet; just because one couldn't wear something oneself, doesn't mean it's an outright faux pas for god's sake! Open your minds! That's how change occurs.

Like it's been said before, think ABSTRACTLY, not in terms of judging something a 'do' or a 'don't'!

Alright I'm done my rant now. I couldn't hold back, I just get such a good feeling when I see people that don't look like everyone else.

Fashion on friends!! Fashion on!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 AM) : 

I love this easy casual look. the shirt and the pants look great together, on him. The guy is very handsome and this look suits him; not too sure someone with a different persona or body type could pull this off without looking ridiculous. Would love to see this guy wear his hair loose.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:58 AM) : 

Why does this bug people so much? I like that he's playing with silhouette, volume, line, and pattern. With a pair of jeans or chinos, it wouldn't be as interesting. He also looks very comfortable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:15 PM) : 

He carries this off, but this look is not for the amateur!! I like it, and while these pants may have the "M.C." Hammer look, he makes them look unique.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:36 PM) : 

The pants suit his frame and style....however, the combination of the shirt, which is also very undone and rumpled, gives the overall look a bag-lady effect. I would have like a more tailored shirt to balance the volume of the pants

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:59 PM) : 

Those pants. Are so. Wonderful.

Love the contrast.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16 AM) : 

This blog has far too many pretentious know-it-all who know next to nothing. The pants are great, working quite well under the circumstances. To be stylish partly means to be way out of left field and not merely to pander to some expectation.

 

Blogger gilda said ... (5:59 AM) : 

i love those sarouel pants!! i own about 5 myself. hee hee!

 

Blogger Mastroianni said ... (11:17 AM) : 

In this picture you see a short version of the hakama, the Japanese traditional male trousers. I just want to say: where did he find them? I want the urban ninja style next year! Again, I'm so sorry about the reluctant reactions of many of you to a slight unconventional outfit. This explains way certain examples of streetwear innovation can be found in Milan, Stockholm, Tokyo, and not in a place where a fashion icon is called MC Hammer!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:23 AM) : 

For those who haven't tried the pants, you should guys - they are so comfortable. I got mine bought in Thailand, first time before I wore them, I thought it's kinda funny & hammer-ish.

-VD-

 

Blogger Rebecca V. O'Neal said ... (5:44 PM) : 

reverse-role harem pants :: i can get w/ it

good call sir :: marc jacobs showed women's wear harem pants in spring 07

and Phillip Lim showed them in his spring 08 ready-to-wear collection

so let's get androgynous and be fashion-forward


points of bravery

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 AM) : 

I absolutely love the pants, the whole look, everything!

Anyone know where I can buy some pants like that online? Do tell.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 AM) : 

I LOVE THE PANTS EVERYYTHING!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:39 PM) : 

I love narrow minded people your so funny running around in your little circle.

amazing style. wish youd stopped and asked where this dean got these particular drop crotch trousers, theyre nicer than some you see

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting