This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On The Street.......Greenwich Village, New York City

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

On The Street.......Greenwich Village, New York City

This is what I always thought Greenwich Village would look like - quirky intellectuals sitting around playing chess all day.

You might recognize these two guys from one of my first posts back on Oct 30th 2005

Comments on "On The Street.......Greenwich Village, New York City"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 AM) : 

They seem to be related?

Regardless, a nice lifestyle shot.

mltt

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (9:22 AM) : 

Great photo! I especially love the curio collection backdrop and the way they seem so engaged with each other in conversation.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:35 AM) : 

Sart-the picture is an illusion of reality.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:36 AM) : 

oh i love it! it such a story in this picture. wow sart, you are my idol. and what about those blue slip-ons :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

his purple keds just tide me over

 

Blogger Carlene said ... (9:48 AM) : 

Well, gee...my dad passed away in the late 80s, or so I thought. Apparently he is alive and well and happily holding court and playing chess in Greenwich village.

:)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:48 AM) : 

his purple keds just tide me over

 

Blogger angvou said ... (9:59 AM) : 

My money is on the old gentleman. The trim-brimmed hat, the canvas boat shoe, the strong eyeglass frames-- he's got Sixties cool cat style. All he needs is a guayabera.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

Wonderful photograph! This is the side of New York I adore...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

I'm in love with the older gentleman's glasses! And the rest of him as well...:)

 

Blogger Butch said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Great guys; great (unconscious) style.

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (11:07 AM) : 

How nice! Great photo!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

What a beautiful frozen moment in time.

This makes me think of Stanley Kubrick, who started out as a photographer and who, IIRC, helped fund his first short films by hustling chess games in Washington Square Park.

 

Blogger g+m said ... (12:48 PM) : 

The guy on the right is gorgeous.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:10 PM) : 

I love it! They're so normal, yet seemingly with so much character!

 

Blogger stacy said ... (2:05 PM) : 

I love this shot. I wonder what Anonymous @ 9:35am means by 'the picture is an illusion of reality.'

This photo seems very real to me and I would guess they shared many more 'real' moments when the camera wasn't pointed at them. No?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:45 PM) : 

Feels like home, timeless, with the beauty of old age... and summertime.

 

Blogger Bobby D. said ... (2:55 PM) : 

they look nice and cool and casual on a hot day.
you've captured a moment in a friendship --it feels like that.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 PM) : 

I wonder whether the old guy keeps up with fashion, or whether fashion finally caught up with him.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:26 PM) : 

Love the man on the left's outfit from be-hatted head to cornflower blue toes. "Old man style" indeed.

What a lovely photo, too.

 

Blogger Jingoist said ... (4:14 PM) : 

This shot simply oozes. By that I mean it oozes positively, inherently, simply so many different impressions that I find the men's style is almost secondary to the scene- the backdrop, the location, the lighting, even the positioning of the men themselves. Not to mention the longer I stared the more I loved the subtle contrast of the muted colors (when have you ever seen natural blues, grays, and browns look like they pop without even an accent of another color)?

Which is to say, Scott, you have a great eye and I think this is the type of scene you tend to capture very well- even better than your "person-on-the-street-stop-and- shoot-fashion-pose-drive-bys".

 

Blogger Josefina said ... (4:17 PM) : 

your photography has really progressed since 2005. love the shot

 

Blogger zuccotto said ... (5:02 PM) : 

I think they may be related too. In any case, great photo, and they look like interesting people. Great discussion clothes...

 

Blogger Susana Rodrigues said ... (6:44 PM) : 

amazing photo! love it
xoxo
su

 

Blogger tanya said ... (7:55 PM) : 

Seems like such a great neighborhood/community to be a part of.

I tried very hard to learn chess when I was 9 but I never got better.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 PM) : 

Do you ever go to the hamptons on L.I. and take pictures there?

 

Blogger ricpic said ... (11:28 PM) : 

Once you're sucked into the blue slip-ons stage there's no going back to laces.

 

Blogger benson said ... (2:29 AM) : 

Grant? Astaire? or the two guys from 10/30/05 and 8/8/07...hmmmmm...it's a toss up. Great photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:14 AM) : 

Great picture.
Sure it is an "illusion of reality".But that´s life for you.
Try living without illusions and faking it a little bit and reality
will knock you down.Who wants that?

 

Blogger zara said ... (4:18 AM) : 

this is why i'd love to go and see NYC :) so laid back

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:01 AM) : 

john m, I love what you said: "I wonder whether the old guy keeps up with fashion, or whether fashion finally caught up with him."

This is exactly what I I think sometimes when I see an older person with an über-chic piece of accessory, shoes etc. I think it is a lovely idea that fashion catches you up eventually. Thanks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:08 AM) : 

The thing is, they're not actually playing chess.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 PM) : 

I did a double take...the man on the left looks like Allen Ginsburg post-giant beard!

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (9:57 PM) : 

i love this natural shot....reminds me of lazy summer days in
the inner city...we dont sit and talk
enough
anymore...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 PM) : 

The guy on the right looks like Morgan Spurlock, no?

 

Blogger riz said ... (12:15 PM) : 

awesome photo - the older guy looks better than the younger guy - perhaps not surprisingly!

 

Blogger wilsonreps said ... (8:53 PM) : 

great photo sart. the gentleman on the right is quite a well dressed young man who i believe runs that infamous chess shop. i'm loving it, more nyc plz!!!

 

Blogger ThoseKids said ... (4:17 PM) : 

The old man strongly reminds me of Ernest Hemingway. . .

He just looks darling

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting