This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Thanks!

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who participated in yesterdays discussion on shorts!
Wow, so many comments!

I am most proud that this blog has so many stylish and articulate men AND women.

I thought yesterdays post was a great way for men (who would never ask for themselves) to get a women's point of view on what can make them look more attractive or enticing.

My perception is that gay men feel comfortable talking to other gay men about fashion but straight men rarely ask other men anything meaningful about fashion and probably even less often ask women ( especially potential partners) what they feel will make them look (dare I say?) sexy! (there, I said it)

I bet that for every woman that responded yesterday there were twice as many single guys reading those responses very carefully.

What did we learn?
If you got good pins guys don't be afraid to show them!

Comments on "Thanks!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:38 AM) : 

sart-this is my first comment.
i am so glad to have found you.
i adore you.

 

Blogger Peregrine John said ... (10:34 AM) : 

Was it not Casanova himself who recommended taking a woman along when buying clothes?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:27 AM) : 

that j crew shirt does not compare to that jean shirt and the guy's hotness makes the shirt look hot. you have to be sexy to pull that look off...and clearly this man is sexy

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

you nailed it when it comes to us straight guys, although i do look to some of my gay friends for answers, but a womens advise is priceless [that is the goal, right, to impress the women]. unfortunately i am a bike racer and i have a nice defined tan line on my legs, as in dark / white [not to mention they are shaved]. so my good looking legs [minus all the battle scares] almost always get long[er] shorts [now albiet a trimmer fit]. thanks for a great blog and the great images.

- jb

 

Blogger Butch said ... (1:14 PM) : 

It's 2007. Isn't it time to retire archaic attitudes about what men--straight men--can permit themselves to discuss with one another, or with women, in regard to sexual display in dress?

By now, one would think any male can allow himself and any other male a narcissistic prerogative, let's call it.

Most men want to look good=sexually attractive. One isn't compromising one's masculinity by wanting to do so and acting on the wish. John Wayne is dead. Laconic stolidity, especially in matters of dress, is for sissies!

 

Blogger zacharyr said ... (1:55 PM) : 

Oh I dunno, Sart. I'm a straight guy and I always talk about fashion with girls, especially girls I'm attracted to. I think that they like someone who casually flouts the stereotype. I also probably have idiosyncratic things to say.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:06 PM) : 

You hit the nail on the head for this straight guy. I never read the comments on the site, but pored over them on the shorts discussion. Good stuff.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:24 PM) : 

hey bike-racer,
shaved legs on men - especially with bike-racer legs - are very hot, imho!

 

Blogger positively the same dame said ... (4:25 PM) : 

the shorts post reminded me of an exchange i once had with a (straight) male friend of mine. i asked him if he could think of an expression he had never once used in conversation, and he said "shorts set".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:27 PM) : 

I guess I live in a completely different world. I am not afraid to ask a couple of my stylish straight friends for their opinion on fashion... the same applies to interior decor.

Besides it is more than time to kill the erroneous concept that all gay guys are stylish and have well decorated abodes. I know so many sloppy gay guy living in badly decorated homes...

 

Blogger simplyolive said ... (7:29 PM) : 

thanks for the "thanks"...
i quite enjoy reading the other comments and posting my own. such a great forum for discussion!

i find it much more interesting to see what people on the streets (even though it's usually the streets of the fashion capitals) are wearing than what the stylists are putting together in the magazines.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 PM) : 

Hello, I'm from Singapore, and it's quite a find, your website. Thanks! Though, would have loved more hot weathered wear.

On the topic of shorts.. Wondering if you would run something on short sleeved shirts? Ok, ok. I KNOW the difference!

I can never seem to find good short sleeved shirts! Only one exception was a Paul Smith (? I think - it was on a stranger), with interesting semi-large buttoned sleeves and a U-shaped fabric on top of the front buttons. Interesting without being too much.

Does anyone know of any other designers that does this?

Also, on the same topic, do people in NY wear short sleeves? Or in Europe? I know in Japan, and China, they do.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:15 AM) : 

You want to see straight men discussing fashion with other straight men? www.askandyaboutclothes.com

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:59 AM) : 

Well, chambray shirts and shorts in general should never be worn for their inherent style but exclusivly if they add to ones own style - or, dare I say it, sexappeal.
I, for example, could never pull off mid-thigh shorts as I inherited my mother’s side’s legs, e.g. sticks. Albeit hairy sticks. You get the picture and you seriously don’t want to see them exposed on the streets. Slim, and down to the knee is perfect though - for me.
And, by the way, I have forwarded several posts to my wife, resulting in a lively discussion.
And, one more thing: as a German I feel no difficulty discussion fashion or clothes in general with my fashion-conscious friends of even colleagues.
This is a superb blog, I get so much inspiration out of this. Thanks again! And, please, do keep up the work!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42 AM) : 

The first man has n interesting face and I like the way he put together his outfit, jewelry et al.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:32 AM) : 

There's nothing sexier than a man who can do fashion and still look like a man. Androgyny? Not so much :)

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting