This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street.......Union Square, Manhattan

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

On the Street.......Union Square, Manhattan

I love how this young lady accentuates and controls her curvy shape with hi-waisted jeans.

Isn't this a million times better than the too low-cut jeans that so many young women insist on wearing?

This photo is actually from an assignment I shot for August Glamour magazine about jeans for different body types.

I went out to shoot "on the street" as usual but when I told the young ladies that I was shooting for Glamour they looked at me kinda funny and the first few politely declined.

It took about three refusals before I remembered the "Glamour Do & Don'ts" - I realized they must have thought I was shooting for that.

Once I described the purpose of the shoot in a better way it all went very well.

Actually, I have a shot for tonight's post that Glamour didn't run but that I really love.

Comments on "On the Street.......Union Square, Manhattan"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:53 AM) : 

Low cut jeans looked great at first then they got overplayed. I agree that this look is refreshing. She looks dyn-o-mite!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:58 AM) : 

I agree with you Sart. Girls not always understand that low rise jeans do not fit to everyone and insist in using them. Hi rise jeans look great and give a better body shape.

 

Blogger spring flowers said ... (9:12 AM) : 

I love those sexy, gorgeous shoes. They make the outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:23 AM) : 

No, the jeans are good, but the shoes have to go.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:26 AM) : 

I wish I could see what she looks like head-on! Most everyone looks good in that sort of 3/4 pose. I have a feeling she'd look smashing either way, though.

 

Blogger Zach said ... (9:50 AM) : 

Is this "curvy" by New York standards? She looks great! I agree, low rise jeans poorly accentuate leg shape, so if the legs are more curvy or the thighs more shapely, low rises make the leg appear shorter and larger than in may actually be.

 

Blogger Liz said ... (9:53 AM) : 

Totally agreed! A muffin top can be almost completely avoided by wearing a higher rise jean in the right size. She looks great.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (9:54 AM) : 

It's easy to make a mistake with the narrow-leg-with-high-waist look. One can wind up looking like an exacerbated pear, and we all know how '80s that is.

This one has a great sense of what works for her. I love it all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:00 AM) : 

The high rise jeans are much more comfortable to wear.I remember having two pairs of Calvin Klein jeans that fit perfectly,they narrowed slightly all the way down. How I miss them.The woman in the picture seems just a tiny bit large in her clothes and how can she walk in those high,narrow heels.

 

Blogger valentine said ... (10:08 AM) : 

Unfortunately, recently, all you could find were low rise jeans. Ashamed for the big booty girls that had to suffer from the "attack of the crack" syndrome. Low rise jeans were , i think, meant for girls with minimal booty who wanted to look like they had some. I personally wasn't a huge fan of them. i feel a little sloppy in them - not pulled together. Thank goodness for Levi and other that kept it real and said this is not for everybody. Let's not discontinue everything we have and follow this quick fading trend.
Now high waisted - wide legged pants, those are a winner but, I don't know where to find them. Is there anyone out there that can help me? (PLEASE keep in mind, LIMITED BUDGET)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:11 AM) : 

are the hi-waist jeans on their way in our out in NY ? Here in Stockholm the low waist is beginning to feel fresh and new again, after a few years with the hi-waist.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:12 AM) : 

i still think low cut jeans look better on most of people...
high waisted jeans look awful even on Keira Knightley, Sienna Miller, Mischa Barton, Fergie...and they have great body..
the thing is a girl needs to know which low cut jeans suits her..but they certaunly look better..not to mention they're much more comfortable.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 AM) : 

High waisted jeans can be just as problematic as low waisted, especially if there is a little bit of pudge around the middle.

This lady looks great in them.

Initially I didn't like the shoes, but considering that the jeans are a bit tight and the shoes probably push her butt out a little, they're a good choice. It's the butt push that makes the jeans sexy. (Without being too trampy)

ehkca

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:41 AM) : 

I don't appreciate the comment about how her high waisted jeans "control" her curvy figure. I dont think you meant to be negative- but language is very powerful and curvy women have it coming at them from all sides- sadly.
Just a request.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:49 AM) : 

She looks lovely. I think I love her pose best of all. If only more people realised that a confident stance is so attractive. Skulking around, all slouched over, makes even the best dressed person look less together...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50 AM) : 

She looks fantastic. But she also has long legs. I still think those of us who are not so blessed don't look so well-proportioned with the high waist. (Esp when the legs of the slacks are slim!)

 

Blogger rebeccacalvetti said ... (11:11 AM) : 

She may be curvy, but she is still very slender. I mean, look at her little arms. i do not think she would have trouble with wearing any specific kind of jean. If you have a flat stomach and trim hips, it really does not matter what style pant you wear. But certain high waisted pants can look mumsy on anyone with any sort of a belly. And as small as my waist is compared to my hip and bust measurements, I find that doesn't always count for anything with pants.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:23 AM) : 

while these jeans look good on her, i definitely dont thing high waisted and skinny is a good look for most poeple
love the shoes though

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:38 AM) : 

mwa haha long live the high waisted jean.
i'm an apple shape and low waisted jeans just dont do it for me....
The good thing about the high waisted is that they dont give me a muffin top, but instead slim my waist, and I can make them look like hipsters by wearing long t-s.
No belts! No coin slot!
I'm an average height, but I feel they make me look taller (maybe its just better posture from not having to worry about my jeans falling down lol.)
wooo

 

Blogger sariah said ... (11:54 AM) : 

When buying jeans, I think the most important thing to remember is to buy what works for YOU. By all means, go out and try different things on, the new trends and latest textures and washes, but in the end it is far more important that you look and feel your best than it is that you are wearing the "latest" look. If a lower-rise is better than a high-waist, stick with a low-rise.

Also, I recently discovered the joys of having my jeans tailored. It's relatively cheap and can banish "attack of the crack" and too-long hems for about $30. If you live in your jeans, it is the best $30 you will ever spend on your wardrobe.

This girl looks fantastic becuase her jeans suit her figure. I love high-waisted jeans, and am pretty slim, but I have to be careful because I have a bigger chest and wider shoulders, so some can make me look too top-heavy. High-waisted trousers, or a lighter-weight trouser jean (I love the onese by acne and james) however, seem to work well (just a tip for any girls who may have a similar figure)

Which is why I love this site -- it shows a variety of looks, ages and figures and a lot of different people wearing very different looks that work for them. If anything, it shows that style is not all about size or brands or even trends, but about your attitude, confidence and personal detail. Sorry for the long post.

Oh, and for the girl wondering about some options for a limited budget? I have noticed that Macy's has some darling higher-waisted, wide leg jeans and pants, all around $60 or less. A girl I work with had on a pair that looked like the $300 Alice and Olivia ones I'd been eying at Bergdorf. Also, Nordstrom may have some good ones in their junior department. Oh! And my sister got some darling ones at Anne Taylor Loft that were on sale and VERY flattering.

Ok, i'm done, I promise!

 

Blogger positively the same dame said ... (12:01 PM) : 

i laughed out loud at the glamour magazine thing -- the "dos and don'ts" is absolutely the first thing that would have popped immediately into my head as well.

as to the jeans question, as much as i dislike trends in general, when it comes to jeans i find that it is one article of clothing that is fun to just go with whatever the current fashion happens to be, and not take them all that seriously. initially i tend to hate whatever the new fad is -- high, low, tight, wide, dark, faded -- and then i get into it, and then i start to hate it again. and always some people look good in the cut or wash while others don't. if you don't, don't wear it and do wear what looks good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:04 PM) : 

Crazy heels for walking, but GORGEOUS. Altogether, quite stunning.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 PM) : 

i think it's the monochrome that makes this look great. another color top would not have worked as well.
that said, isn't she dying in this summer heat??

 

Blogger H said ... (2:32 PM) : 

LOVE the shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:38 PM) : 

ugh, give me a break, this woman is not "curvy." I know you didn't mean it in a negative way, but it's jarring that you felt you needed to qualify her figure in some way. I think you have been spending too much time around fashion industry women if this is "curvy" to you!

 

Blogger Claire said ... (2:43 PM) : 

i think it's a little silly that some readers are taking 'curvy' as a judgment from sart. a.) "Curvy" does not equal fat or thin. You can be relatively sans-curves at any weight. It's about the proportion of your hips to your waist to your bust b.) all shapes can dress flatteringly--there are ways to flatter your curves, there are ways to cover them and there are ways to make them look unflattering. People of all sizes can find ways to dress themselves appropriately and I don't think, on a fashion blog, anyone should tiptoe around mentioning someone's frame if they've dressed it in a fabulous way.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:05 PM) : 

I agree that low-rise pants aren't terribly flattering, and I think this woman looks great, but I don't think she's very "curvy" -- at least not below the waist. It might be the angle, but in this shot her hips look much narrower than her bust and barely bigger than her waist at all. To me, she's cleverly creating more of a curvy figure than she really has by putting the silver-chain belt over the high-waisted pants.

Also, I hate to say this (because I admire your judgment most of the time), but your comments on this photo just illustrate why I find such "[blank] for all body types" stories completely useless. (I am a woman with an 11 inch difference between my waist and hips -- which I feel definitely qualifies as curvy -- and a look like this would most definitely not work for someone with my shape.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 PM) : 

I really liked your input in the Glamour jeans article, I hope it brings more readers to your great site.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:25 PM) : 

The high wasted jeans look fabulous and flattering because of her clever belt positioning, I haven't tried the high wasted look yet but she has given me incentive!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:23 PM) : 

I hate that 'curvy' has been usurped to be a supposedly nicer way of saying fat.

Curvy has a meaning, and it's not about body fat. It's about how you are shaped, and whether or not your body is straight up and down, or curves in at the sides, at the derriere, and at the bosom. Again, it does NOT mean fat. Some fat girls don't have curves, just like some skinny girls don't.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 PM) : 

Liking the fact that you sought out a fellow "hippy chick" but not the camouflage stance.

While this is the stance I'll likely do when you take my pic in Montreal (:wink:), it's not how we appear in reality.

A full frontal (or rear) shot would allow us to really see how flattering the look is on a pear shaped person.

mltt

 

Blogger simplyolive said ... (7:18 PM) : 

those shoes are an ankle-breaking-accident waiting to happen on those cobblestone streets!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:34 PM) : 

I am loving high waisted jeans again....I hope that it is a movement toward women dressing not so outwardly "sexy".... rather, simply feminine and tailored.

 

Blogger Blaise said ... (9:41 PM) : 

I myself don't like low-rise jeans.. Nice work, Sart! Nice work..

 

Blogger amy darlene said ... (10:58 PM) : 

those shoes are killer!
in a completely wonderful and sexy way

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:18 AM) : 

I love those jeans on her, but I have to say she found the perfect pair of high waisted jeans. Most look awful on a curvy girl and low cut are a lot easier to pull off if you aren't rail thin. I never have the guts to try high waisted.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:45 AM) : 

I'm sorry but what about these bra straps? A strapless bra would make her look better in this outfit. Though I like her jeans she looks a little bit scruffy to me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:36 AM) : 

This lady knows how to dress... she looks terrific - shoes included. Agree that low waisted pants & jeans need to go or be reserved for the young women (under 30)...not to mention showing skin between top & pant. I never understood this concept except for on babies. I'm over 53 and have yet to find any low waisted pant that fits comfortably. When I find a pair that is high-waisted, I purchase them immediately.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:42 AM) : 

She looks great - fantastic posture, she looks strong and proud. Her curves are the result of hours in the gym - check out her arms! I wish my curves were as defined. Well, sometimes they are-- ;-)

Being curvy, not fat, I'm afraid I look absolutely ridiculous in high-rise jeans. In fact, I don't own any jeans because I look silly in them. I wish I could pull off a pair like her!

With regards to the brastrap comment - point taken, but for women with larger breasts (hers are a lovely medium-sized pair in my eyes) strap-less = hopeless. Bear with us - the laws of physics cannot be ignored..

 

Blogger tn said ... (11:55 AM) : 

I love how boldly she embraces exactly who she is, celebrating her shape rather than trying to cover it up. Good for her!!

 

Blogger bethyb said ... (7:00 PM) : 

I'm "curvy" (also have an 11" difference bet. my 25" waist and 36" hips) and I would look so fat in those jeans. Women with real curves (I guarantee this woman does not have my hips) cannot wear high waisted skinny jeans.

 

Blogger The Sartorialist said ... (6:27 AM) : 

Has this become a contest to see who is more curvy?

I never said this is an answer for all curvy women but merely an answer for that curvy woman - it may or may not work for you

ps
I agree that curve has little to do with weight and more to do with proportion

 

Blogger Friend Mouse said ... (10:37 PM) : 

Right, Liz: "... A muffin top can be almost completely avoided by wearing a higher rise jean in the right size. She looks great." I see way, way too many muffin tops and it makes me wonder, do these women have a mirror that works? Why do they think this looks good? And then there's someone like this, not overly-endowed on top but filling her jeans for sure, and knowing how to work/show off what she has. Kudos. If I never see another muffin top it will be too soon.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:07 PM) : 

i concur. a muffin top is simply not acceptable. i only wear ksubi jeans which are worth the price because they are o so flattering. you only need to invest in a couple of pairs - ils sonts fantastiques!

 

Blogger Liz said ... (4:29 PM) : 

She looks fabulous! The shoes balance out her hips and shoulders, creating a very pleasing hourglass look. If it were in any other color than black, though, I don't think it would work as well. Hope you post a photo that proves me wrong!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

Totally agree that high waisted jeans are lovely. Especially on curvy girls. However, in small cities like the one I live in, it's nearly impossible to find - let alone purchase - high waisted jeans - and so, alas, we young women are stuck with the low waisted jeans that the stores force on us - and most students and young people trying to pay their way can't afford to go to the very few boutiques that we do have.
Although it looks like slowly but potentially surely they're filtering in, which is a nice change

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting