This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

UPDATE Congrats to Michael Bastian -New Designer for Bill Blass

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

UPDATE Congrats to Michael Bastian -New Designer for Bill Blass


For my August GQ page I talk about the particular to Manhattan look of guys running out of the office on "early Friday's" in rigs that are somewhere between Manhattan and the Hamptons a.k.a Manhattan Beach.

Comments on "UPDATE Congrats to Michael Bastian -New Designer for Bill Blass"

 

Blogger simplyolive said ... (8:57 AM) : 

looks like he can't leave the city fast enough!!

 

Blogger Laguna Beach Fogey said ... (8:59 AM) : 

What a great look! I love the flat-front nantucket red shorts, l/s shirt, and brown oxfords worn without socks. I used to see this look quite often, especially on the East Coast, though never with brown oxfords. Usually with boat shoes or loafers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:04 AM) : 

how funny is this...well said.

and great photo!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:52 AM) : 

you mean mantucket

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:07 AM) : 

Looks like more "Ed Norton on the way to Fight Club" to me.

And this is where shorts should fall on a gentleman. Thank you, Ed.

mltt

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 AM) : 

Now, that's nice!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 AM) : 

Do you mean the neighborhood in Brooklyn, Manhattan Beach?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:35 AM) : 

The clothes are ok for summer.I also like the big green bag-but the shoes don´t fit the combo. This kind of shoes definitely need socks.He could have chosen different type of shoes altogether.

 

Blogger Sam said ... (11:15 AM) : 

This is a good look. I like to dress this way...although I'd probably be wearing Reef's, boat shoes, or sneakers. Fabrizio should take some style pointers from this guy - it's all about subtlety.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22 AM) : 

So cuute! adore!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:30 AM) : 

Occasionally, one is fortunate enough to see why a clothing cliche became a cliche. This look is not mine, or at least it has not been in more than 40 years, but it is done so well by this gentleman that I want to exclaim "Eureka" all over again.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:57 AM) : 

He looks totally hot. If I saw him on the street I'd give him the once over. And I agree; well said.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 PM) : 

Wow - he looks gorgeous! I adore the pink bermuda shorts plus his relaxed attitude.

 

Blogger Colin Flora said ... (12:19 PM) : 

Three things: a) Nice Shot; b) I like the fact that he's sporting a rigger's bag which can be purchased for twenty bucks at just about any army/navy;c)I especially like the fact that he's not wearing those absurd footies a lot of guys sporting the "no socks" look try to pass. You wouldn't catch one of the Fratelli Barbieri in those silly things.

 

Blogger Jack Daniel said ... (12:40 PM) : 

I'd wear sneakers...then you can run faster. Run for a cab in NYC.

Cool shot though.

 

Blogger positively the same dame said ... (1:01 PM) : 

funny and so true! one can see variations of this look on men all over the city on friday afternoons during the summer. he looks swell in his brown oxfords, but he'll probably change into flip-flops or topsiders on the jitney...or helicopter...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:57 PM) : 

I think this is a great hybrid of WASP culture and Hamptons style with a nod to the army. The blue oxford and faded coral shorts (which look like a pair of Nantucket Reds) are classic trad fare, but the glasses, laceups, dark brown leather belt accented with a gold buckle, and large watch and bag all add this heavy dose of masculinity that keeps the look grounded. What I most appreciate is the bag - it is great to see someone taking a risk (a good one at that) with their choice of carryall; too often canvas totes are suggested to be the only option. The large proportion just utters fashion without being frivolous. It is the Jay Gatsby of the 21st century.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (2:18 PM) : 

The thing that's most interesting here is the shoes, which are dressier than not. This reflects a sense borrowed from the shorter-pants aesthetic that the feet must be anchored in some way not required when less ankle is apparent.

(I'd wager, also, that he ain't leaving for the Hamptons, which are, after all, rather hidebound sartorially.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:41 PM) : 

What's so bad about "footies," if they're worn with sneakers? I believe Noel Coward rocked them that way. And I hate to say it, but I really don't think people should be wearing dress shoes with shorts and no socks. The mixture of formality and informality really doesn't work for me.

 

Blogger Jocke said ... (3:38 PM) : 

Great shot, great look. This is the perfect summer outfit. Allthough I'd probably change into sneakers or topsiders when out of the city.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:48 PM) : 

Isn't that Michael Bastian? I love him...and I love his designs. I wish more guys would dress like him....great innate style.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:27 PM) : 

I really like this - what to me are "normal" clothes, but done really well. I love the bag.

 

Blogger Mona said ... (4:41 PM) : 

No matter how long I live in the city, it's the preppy guys that will always catch my eye. I'm a sucker for Nantucket reds. YUMMY!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:48 PM) : 

Ahh sexy indeed. However...this man has the tan, the legs, why not show a bit more stem??

I think taking the shorts just a few inches north would take this look from sexy to irresistably alluring!

I also love the colour combo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58 PM) : 

Hot...take me away in that beautiful bag.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:11 AM) : 

I just want to cry when I read the comments! I accept that your personal tastes differ from mine, but to CONSTANTLY complain about the lack of socks in dress shoes... Christ! It's the European way! You must accept this and move on.

 

Blogger will anderson said ... (8:43 AM) : 

i like this too. even for preppy, its not obnoxious with garish color and horizontal stripes. but the key is the tan. anything less than the tan he's sporting will look lame. white/pink ankles and pale knees...its going to bad with pink shorts.

unfortunately i've resorted to very casual chinos for this occasion. i'm jealous.

 

Blogger glamour girly said ... (9:03 AM) : 

love it, and I definitely think this is a great type of short for men, too!

 

Blogger designerman said ... (9:19 AM) : 

I love dress shoes like this with no socks and shorts. One of my personal favorites for the summer. I think he looks great - but why is he heading downtown (I used to live on that block of lower 5th)?

 

Blogger jkh said ... (10:47 AM) : 

shorts shorter. shoes heavier. aviators not my style - something more wayfarerish instead.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:01 PM) : 

I like hamptons look except the shoes

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:14 PM) : 

amen! the jcrewesque distressed nantucket shorts are a perfect easy short to pull off.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 PM) : 

Give him a pair of mocassins, please! maybe he doesn't know this kind of shoes are perfect with shorts and legs like him.

 

Blogger trip said ... (1:23 PM) : 

As affected as this look could be, I do think that he does a good job of pulling it off. The same goes for the shoes. For what it's worth, they're bluchers rather than true oxfords (or balmorals), so that does technically bring the formality level down a bit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:51 PM) : 

I live next door to Manhattan Beach, CA, and this guy would fit right in ... except for the shoes. We show a lot more toe out here in LA. :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

I love this one so much. I actually own this exact same bag and it is great- my girlfriend's father who is ex-military actually bought it for me at the store at a military base.

This look is great, but I agree with earlier comments is that the big watch, glasses, and webbed belt are a good compliment to the reds and the shirt.

This is the look I aspire to.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:54 PM) : 

As a Midwesterner, I just assumed that all Easterners of a certain class dressed this way in summer. You mean they don't??

He looks terrific -- casual, at ease, comfortable -- nothing is "too too."

To me, his entire look is in very good taste.

 

Blogger OTC said ... (3:17 PM) : 

Great outfit and bag is just right. Utilitarian enough to tone down the whole look so that it looks naturally pulled together, not assembled.

I used to see this kind of outfit growing up in CT; nice to have it back.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 PM) : 

My 3 year-old son and I were looking at the blog pics and he asked if the picture was of me; I was hugely flattered. This guy looks great, and is definitely ready for Mantucket!

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (9:45 AM) : 

Love this!

 

Blogger biglakestyle said ... (6:36 AM) : 

What I love about this site is that I can return to my birthplace NYC without getting out of bed here in Michigan. In the city, you see people like this on Friday afternoon and know someone is gonna have a better weekend than you; anyway so many cues to his character, but mostly it's the shoes, the bag and the shorts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:47 PM) : 

I believe there's a business suit crammed into that bag! Too bad he forgot the casual shoes.

 

Blogger N icole said ... (11:28 AM) : 

love the look, the pose, everything!.. that bag is the cherry on the cake :)

 

Blogger nidyawiguno said ... (6:18 AM) : 

i love the way he combined the blouse and the pants. but not with that bag. :(

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting