This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

At Burberry.......Carine Roitfeld, Vogue Paris

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

At Burberry.......Carine Roitfeld, Vogue Paris

Comments on "At Burberry.......Carine Roitfeld, Vogue Paris"

 

Blogger Angel said ... (9:44 AM) : 

I love the shoes.

 

Blogger Rafe Totengco said ... (9:48 AM) : 

Wow, that's a sheer skirt! Nice Balenciaga gladiator wedges!

 

Blogger Aaron Dias said ... (9:55 AM) : 

Hmm...those shoes look familiar. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:59 AM) : 

Attractive lady...but is the see through thing on bottom really the way you want to get attention?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 AM) : 

I think this is the first time I've seen Carine in a color other than black-- much less, white! Bravo!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

A nice picture of ms Roitfeld.Her hair matches her shoes well and the surrounding isn´t bad either.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:08 AM) : 

Oh my!

 

Blogger Peregrine John said ... (10:24 AM) : 

Wow. Down to the shoes, stopped me in my tracks.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (10:26 AM) : 

I've never seen Carine in white! The dress looks a bit sheer, though. And I give her credit for being seen in the same shoes more than once; she's gotten a lot of mileage out of those Balenciagas.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 AM) : 

i'm not sure about those shoes w/that dress. i think i liked them better paired with the simpler tank dress you posted a few days ago. they appear to be competing with the dress in this outfit and sort of steal the show. a more classic sandal would allow the dress to shine.

also, i wouldn't be comfortable in a dress that sheer, but if she is, more power to her. it looks lovely on her.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:36 AM) : 

The outfit's her, in a heartbeat. But, um, the skirt part of the dress bothers me a bit. The drape and the see-throughness of it all. I feel like that part might have made the shoes more detached from the rest of the outfit. But I've never really appreciated the appeal of the Carine aesthetic anyway.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 AM) : 

Her shoes, wow

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 AM) : 

I don't like the combination: fresh, delicate coloured fluttering dress with "material" black wedges. Sorry.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:39 AM) : 

I love the see through dress, it's perfect! Bellisima!

 

Blogger Blue Floppy Hat said ... (10:40 AM) : 

She certainly does look different away from the black...and I have to hand it to her, that smile is the thing that really makes the look work.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

She is so gorgeous. She always looks youthful and refined. and not in the least like someone who's TRYING to dress 'young'.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (11:05 AM) : 

She's always perfect.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

Dress looks really great on her, but the shoes spoil the overall picture, too big of a contrast. Although I wouldn't mind wearing it with menswear shorts...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 AM) : 

There's a lot of tension going on between the airy dress and the clunky shoe--I think she's trying a bit too hard to be young. A bit too tongue-in-cheek (which you would be able to see, were it happening).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 PM) : 

Typically don't like how she dresses either. Folks were saying the shirt/dress girl was "vulgar" but I find this green dress to be more fitting of that description.

Despite that, though, it's one of the nicest pictures that I've seen of her.

mltt

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:00 PM) : 

She looks great as always.

But I prefer her in "stricter" clothes, I don´t know if the airy-floaty things do he a favor.

But then again...she is Carine, even the worst choice she plays it cooly

 

Blogger g+m said ... (12:02 PM) : 

It is an interesting choice, those shoes with that dress...but I think it anchors it a bit. If you wore an airy shoe, it would look like too much cotton candy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:07 PM) : 

Carine Roitfeld is such a fashion maven. She is the epitome of French Vogue- and I follow her style moves wisely. She is fabulous and cutting edge almost always.

As for the more structured shoes, it balences out and strengthens the look as a whole. With flats, she look like a stump (she recognizes that heels do wonders for legs) and wispy stilletos would make it look trampy with that neckline. So much cleavage would be slutty without the "barrier" the shoes bring to the ensemble.

This woman is a mother as well. I only hope I remain this amazing after a couple kids and middle age.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:17 PM) : 

Have you guys been paying attention to fashion magazines, stylist profiles, designers, trendsetters? If so, you'd see that she is on top of her game, no doubt helping get the trend of the strong shoe balancing a wispy dress started in the first place (I'm thinking of those violet YSL heels with thick "ribbon-esque" ties from winter '05 she rocked with fitted suits, etc.

This is what is hot right now, and she (of all people) has to stay on top as editor of the fashion bible.

 

Blogger phoenix said ... (12:25 PM) : 

Very pretty! The heavy gladiator wedges look out-of-place with the lightness of the dress though.

 

Blogger Laura said ... (12:25 PM) : 

amazing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:49 PM) : 

I also think the wedges are too heavy for the dress, current trends nothwithstanding.

 

Blogger j said ... (1:02 PM) : 

i'm inspired to see breasts dressed beautifully. any size is beautiful, but mine are c's, so i have to look hard for fashion inspiration that is other than the music video look. thanks!

 

Blogger Cut of cloth said ... (1:23 PM) : 

The Epitome of
Style and Confidence
Being the leader of the pack
Madame Carine
KNOWS
what is just Enough
to Tantalise
to Dare
to Understand
FASHION
at
what-ever Age
Viva La Carine!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:25 PM) : 

Fashion is sometimes vulgar, but it's only by pushing the boundaries of 'good taste' that new ways of looking and dressing come to the consumer.

As a woman who obviously knows what she's doing and has access to the top fashion ideas and images, Ms. Roitfeld embodies the stretching of comfort zones in this photo, I think.

Are the heavily ornamented shoes a bit much? Probably.

Is the low-cut utterly sheer dress for daytime a bit much? Probably.

But it's in exploring the extremes that fashion pioneers such as Roitfeld make way for all who follow.

I wonder how I would look at this picture without comparing (unfavorably, malgre tout) with Guccigirl of the previous post?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:29 PM) : 

To anon 12:17: is the floaty dress heavy shoes really such a new thing? In any case, I don't like that dress - on anyone. The hemline in particular.
Still, she is a beautiful woman and her shoes are rockin'.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:29 PM) : 

I think this is Carine deviating from her normal "status black" while keeping an element of that look with the shoes-- and it works for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:34 PM) : 

That style of shoes is so hideous it grieves me to see them everywhere. To me it says whoever is wearing them is simply following what is in fashion, not using their good sense.

 

Blogger JO said ... (1:40 PM) : 

LOVE THE SHOES - though not with this dress.... LOVE the color and the sheerness of the dress.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:52 PM) : 

This outfit is tight out of a recurring nightmare I used to have all through my teens and twenties: I'd leave the house, thinking I was fully dressed, and then look down and realize my skirt was transparent. (Shudder.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM) : 

I'm surprised that so many are tut-tutting the sheer skirt. What's the biggie? The shirt dress wearer just below is showing one heck of a lot more leg.

I love the heightened drama of the warrior goddess wedge. A great combination with the dress and simple cardigan, I think.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:01 PM) : 

like her longer hair/lighter attitude - she seems less heavy in spirit than prior posts. the smile seems really hers - good thing she took time out to pose for your shot (referencing first shot you posted of her)! I'm suprised on all the "too sheer" comments - what are we really seeing? I don't make out anything under the dress?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:07 PM) : 

I love the sheer skirt with the heavy shoes. Perfect for sultry days moving into evenings on the patio. Or going from hot pavement to ice cube offices. Either way it is a great look that moves through a day.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (2:38 PM) : 

I like it. I like the softness of the dress, it's lines and that it's sheer. I think the wedges fit beautifully because there's lots of skin showing on her feet too - they're not too "solid".

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3:40 PM) : 

she needs a slip...otherwise it is right on par

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:14 PM) : 

I don't like the shoes with that dress. I think that she needs something more dainty.

I give her points for lowering her cost per wearing with the shoes though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:32 PM) : 

She looks beautiful in this picture. I like how soft and a bit ephemereal she looks because I'm usually accustomed to seeing her in a lot of black. The shoes are awesome of course. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:40 PM) : 

Carine

magnifique !!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:48 PM) : 

The shoe reads organic to me which works back to the organic nature of the dress.

And, who ARE you out there who are tsk-tsking the sheerness of that garment as it drapes this stunning woman? What a vision that would be as you watched her walk by.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:17 PM) : 

I love it--Ms. Roitfeld is one of my personal style icons, and I love to see her rock a look that may have been "done" before, but she carries it off well. And it's so different from what she normally wears, it's refreshing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:22 PM) : 

ahhh i love her.

 

Blogger simplyolive said ... (7:40 PM) : 

i agree...her shoes are rockin' (as a previous commenter said).
the sheer bottom doesn't really appeal to me, but she looks great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:03 PM) : 

she's always a little bit sexy, a little bit unexpected. i like it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 PM) : 

I love this, the shoes are stunning on her beautiful look for her

 

Blogger Blaise said ... (10:14 PM) : 

Those are wonderful cardigan, dress, and shoes.. but together, I'm not very sure..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 PM) : 

I love Carine's style. Although I have seen her in better looks, she still manages to elevate the defition of true style, unlike Anna Wintour. Carine is truly a style maven.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:25 AM) : 

love carine.....

 

Blogger the *ubiquitous spectator* said ... (2:27 AM) : 

Queen of all cougars and effortlessly elegant to boot.
bravo satorialist...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:44 AM) : 

she's really gorgeous, as always, but i don't see the appeal of a totally sheer skirt. yes, she undoubtedly has a magnificent rear view, but putting it in a thong (i assume) and a see-through dress does not, in my opinion, highlight it to its best advantage. plus, i love good slips and they're terribly hard to find--i bet the editrix of paris vogue knows more than a few good places to find them, though.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:22 AM) : 

thoes shoes - rawrrr! i love.

i think this combo works beautifully - it just looked right to my eye. if i had to say why - here are a few thoughts -

1) the much-mentioned shoes. not just because i like them, but because they keep an element of that tough carine that we know and love.

2a) the sultriness of the dress. that dress is HOT!! everyone is commenting on the sheerness... but it doesn't actually show anything! in fact, the middle of the skirt portion is more heavily pleated just enough to keep it proper, to me. i can imagine that on a hot summer day, this dress feels divine.

2b) more on the sultriness of the dress. the shapeliness of her body really comes out - she's not really that delicate, right? the strength of her body comes out, i think, which is reflected in the shoes.

2c) ok i don't know how i got into the lettering here - but also on the dress - the ruching in the middle is a less light-and-floaty, more controlled sort of design element... again harkening back to familiar carine territory.

3) and then the cardigan - dare i call it a "shrug"? - just perfectly tops it off. to me, this makes perfect sense as far as what a woman like carine would wear on a hot summer day in paris.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:28 AM) : 

Gorgeous & inspiring -
Love the entire look.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:17 AM) : 

Carine, you always look terrific. But this dress.....you have the body, but it's too sheer I guess. Bisou

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:40 AM) : 

She seems really nice! A good company... Thats the impression I had of her in this pic.
No need to mention the great outfit.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:37 PM) : 

I absolutely want that cardigan! I really like the neckline of the dress, and I think the light-coloured embellishment on the shoes ties them in very successfully. I would say the best picture I've ever seen of her! Stunning figure and beautiful smile (although I always want to tell her to get her hair back so we can see her lovely face. If I could say it in French I'd sound like her maman, no doubt).

 

Blogger KikiSay said ... (8:35 PM) : 

NOT BLACK!!! Carine is such a bad ass.

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (9:59 PM) : 

the priestess and the acolytes

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 AM) : 

Aside from the fact that I can see her underwear, I love the dress. Wear it with a slip underneath, and it's absolutely perfect.

Also, I like the shoes with it. As someone said, anything else would've made the whole thing too floaty.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 AM) : 

she really knows how to make great shoes work! they are the same pair as the last time you shot her , july 04, but they add to the outfit in a completely different way

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting