This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

Shooting For British Elle Today....You Gotta Come with Me

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Shooting For British Elle Today....You Gotta Come with Me

Remember this young lady from last month?
When Elle told me they wanted to cast some non-models, I immediately thought of this young lady.
Of course shooting "non-models" is tricky because they still have to fit the clothes but I love the fact that a girl I just ran into on the street one day ,and thought was cool, will now have her style celebrated in a major fashion magazine.

I called Kelly yesterday and told her about the project and asked if she could pop down for a quick shot that I could show Stacey from Elle. As usual (without any prior warning) Kelly showed up looking stunning - love the hat, the sophistication, the charm - she seems to have a very mature way about her considering she is 23 years old.


Someone mentioned in one of the comments yesterday that the girls looked like typical model "androids"
That will be my challenge to get them to drop the "modelishness" and shoot them exactly the same way I shoot any girl.
During the casting I kept asking goofy questions (who is your favorite baseball player) just to get them to relax and show some (any?) personality. We are using around 8 girls so we really tried to find a good mix of types

I remember when I got the email to do this shoot my first instinct was to go and get some lighting, and rent a big camera, find an assistant- but really they are hiring me to just do what I do.
"Do what you do" can be a little nerve racking sometimes. The big difference is I work alone and feel like what i do is under the radar in a lot of ways. Today I will have alot of people around so I will just have to keep centered and focused. Luckily the weather is good today so I don't think we will need a lot of people standing around doing touch-up makeup and such.
It is really a compliment that they are giving me such freedom and so much say in the styling, models, location - especially the styling part.
This is an accessories story for them but they wanted to capture that quirky Hi-Lo mix I like so we have pieces from Chloe to H&M.

If everything goes well this story will look like a series of cool girls not a bunch of models.
I guess we will have to revisit this in October

I will try to post today around the same schedule as yesterday but I will also probably do a late post as a wrap-up.

Comments on "Shooting For British Elle Today....You Gotta Come with Me"

 

Blogger Carlene said ... (7:08 AM) : 

I love this, and I really, really love that they just want you to do what you do. Thanks for letting us come with you!

 

Blogger FeiraChic said ... (7:24 AM) : 

I agree to that! It feels like I'm there, with you and the girls. Even though I am actually in Brazil!
Thanks for this amazing experience!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:37 AM) : 

thanks for doing what you're doing!
good luck today!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:00 AM) : 

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! we love you + know you will do a fab job. There is no doubt!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:10 AM) : 

good luck, i can't wait!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:24 AM) : 

This is what fashion needs, if it's ever going to throw off the cynicism that "regular" people view it with (including myself).

 

Blogger Ellen said ... (8:36 AM) : 

I think you are right. They hired you for what you can do so that's what you should do. It's great work you do so don't change a thing!! Break a Leg!

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (8:42 AM) : 

I'm glad you are rising the nature of your work's value in front of such institution like elle. It would be fantastic if you manage to extend the allure of the "normal" into the very planned and fabricated editorial pages...maybe to cutting edge for mass markets?In my opinion is just what makes the difference between commercial work and artistic work: a movement towards ethical awareness thanks to the work of the "artist". Hopefully Elle will see that Terry R. is not all that there is regarding "naturallity" in fashion photography.

I love that you recognize the power of your muse! That power of the "normal human" is what you bring to the public.

 

Blogger Cut of cloth said ... (8:44 AM) : 

Willing and Wishing you Well
British Elle has always been stylishly put together
and they yet again
show great forsight
In commissioning
YOU
& Your individual Style of Docu-FASH
Allowing us your readership to
become part of not only the documentary process of your way of working, but also generously giving us a first hand insight into your thoughts and artistic visions
in Real Time
This is certainly
A Privileged Perspective
&
Refreshingly Honest

 

Blogger Neil MacLean said ... (8:49 AM) : 

congratulations on all these excellent opportunities you're getting!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:49 AM) : 

Two hurrays for Cool Girls!

 

Blogger phoenix said ... (8:51 AM) : 

What great fun! Good luck today :)

I love Kelly's top - in the first pic, it looks like a rather non-descript black top save for the hint of fluttery detail in the short-sleeve, but in the next, the lovely knotted detail and sheer drape of the chiffon comes through. I want.

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (9:03 AM) : 

I really respect British Elle for giving you complete artistic freedom instead of asking that you replicate what their usual group of photographers/stylists produce - which is how it should be. And Kelly is stunning - can't believe she's only 23! Looking forward to seeing the results!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:22 AM) : 

Hi Scott
Just want to say Good Luck today - although you won't need it. I have every faith in you and Stacey of course!!
Lorraine Candy
Editor-in-chief
ELLE UK

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:39 AM) : 

Thanks much for letting us tag along, Scott! Love the "You gotta come with me"...it does feel like we're there with you and sharing the experience.

You've got a good sense of yourself and will do great.
Can't wait for October.
Best wishes!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:39 AM) : 

Good luck. I hope you cast some models of color as well, the real NYC is beautifully diverse, so is London come to think of it. I hope that is reflected with Brit Elle as much as you do or try with your Blog.

Thanks.

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (9:43 AM) : 

What a fun assignment! Can't wait to see the final result.

 

Blogger Susana Rodrigues said ... (9:45 AM) : 

As you already know, what a great blog :D congrats!
Love this post
x0x0
Su

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (9:49 AM) : 

Wow! Kelly looks so much better than all the models you chose! Please don't turn her look into model look.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9:56 AM) : 

This is a very cool feature to add to your site, the pix, the prep details, love it. It's also good to hear that you've decided against abandoning your shooting style. [IMO a girl's personal style is always more interesting than the work of a creative stylist.] Have a great shoot!

 

Blogger Asia said ... (10:01 AM) : 

Omigod your site makes me so jealous of all the cool girls you shoot. Oh to have capital "S" Style: which ain't about beauty (although quirky gorgeousness seems to help) and ain't about money (although the occasional fabulously expensive bag doesn't go astray either). Fact is, it seems to be mostly about confidence and poise, and the girls in your pics have it in spades.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

I love your "real girl". I like her better than all the models. Good scout out on that one. I think we all appreciate seeing a model we can relate to and not some 6 foot size 2 17 year old model wearing clothes that will never look that way on any "real girl". I wish the world of modeling would change and showcase more normal looking people of all ages. Then maybe girls would not be starving themselves and getting plastic surgury to alter their appearance. The media and entertainment business really have an effect on what girls want to look like and in this day and age it is not good. But hats off to sart for maybe heading in a new direction. Bring on the "real girls", and let the 17 year olds be 17 years olds and have a donut or two.

 

Blogger daniel said ... (10:34 AM) : 

So fantastic! Bon chance with the shoot. I cannot wait to see this spread -- I'm jealous of her country-gentleman-goes-Hollywood hat fashions!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10:38 AM) : 

hey good luck Mr Sart!

I have to say, if you can get the professionals to look as good as this girl who is an amateur (she is AMAZING) then that will be a fantastic result!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

you have the coolest job!!!!!!!! good luck!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:47 AM) : 

May your vision of clothes, models, fashion, people, and setting catch hold and prosper and change the glossy magazine spread forever!! If the fashion magazines contained your vision, I'd actually BUY them!

Go shoot those girls! (And thank you so much for the glimpse of the behind-the-scenes process.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:52 AM) : 

That's pretty neat, and I love this site but you know, all those girls are still incredibly beautiful, with near perfect bodies. Yes, they definitely look more real and quirky than the 'generic' models but... I'd still see that magazine promoting the spread as a "real girl" kinda thing and think "no way". I'd love, just once, to see average sized girls with funny noses or big shoulders glammed up for a mag. like Elle...but i guess that's not an option.

 

Blogger Jamie said ... (10:52 AM) : 

I love that you're sharing the process with us. I can't wait to see how it all pulls together! I know it'll be fabulous though, because you're involved!

 

Blogger DeepBlueSea said ... (10:53 AM) : 

Me gets the feeling Sart's a busy man...

 

Blogger s.212 said ... (10:55 AM) : 

that girl is beautiful !!
she has this edge to her but at the same time seems like a really modest girl, am I right? :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

How could I forget her?
Love her to bits!
Can't wait to see the pics,
Great choice Sart, Kelly Kool

 

Blogger Carolina Lange said ... (11:06 AM) : 

I remember her, she is great! It is great that you are posting every step of that work!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:35 AM) : 

The popularity of your blog is testimony to an intense interest out there in "normal" people wearing their own look and looking fabulous. Granted I am always a bit shocked by the comments critiquing the way some of the things are put together, and you can tell how programmed some people are by the fashion biz steamroller. But overall --to go back to my first sentence-- lots of us are fed up with being force fed fashion diktats. We like seeing regular people (OK, even if lots of them work in fashion!) tweaking, adapting, adding, subtracting; to come up with a winning look. For a top international magazine to have recognized that, and the vacuum that your blog amply fills, is both ironic and wonderful. Long story short: keep on skipping the assistants/lights/studios etc. Stay your lean and mean self.
cheers-
haapi

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:52 AM) : 

i am seriously in awe of this woman and her sense of style. only 23! it would be amazing to see how her style transforms over the years.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:04 PM) : 

So... why didn't they let you pick a series of cool girls... instead of models!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:15 PM) : 

well done sart, just do it the best you can, ist you style its you live its your passion. adelante hombre! hazlo como siempre lo has hecho!!!
go for it!!!

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (12:30 PM) : 

I scrolled down to read the first news about the shoot. Just wanted to wish you lots of luck and thanks for letting us tag along. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:55 PM) : 

This sounds a bit different from your other projects so far, and exciting. Wishing you the best of luck.

 

Blogger Holden said ... (1:04 PM) : 

you know, we don't get to see interesting individuals like Kelly around here (singapore). we're too safe and boring. =(

 

Blogger Resplendato said ... (1:08 PM) : 

It's tough to get a person to pose for a picture with such confidence and ease..and to know she's NOT a model, way to go Scott.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:22 PM) : 

I cannot wait to see the end results. I am sure it will be a spectacular shoot.

 

Blogger Claire said ... (1:34 PM) : 

so sartorialist, who were some of the baseball players whose names got tossed around (no pun intended)?

 

Blogger kathy said ... (1:35 PM) : 

Very stylish! Your blog is quite inspirational!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 PM) : 

"modelishness" ... The 1st lesson models learn when they start is to be completely natural & not pose ... so if the girls you've cast know what they're doing then they shouldn't have any problems with "modelishness" ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:41 PM) : 

oh my goodness, this is so exciting! thank you for sharing the project with us! i just love the two women you shared with us, i find thier attire to be very inspiring.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:53 PM) : 

I think Kelly is one of the most model-ly and (over)-posed people you have shot in NYC.
I agree with the person who wished aloud for more-and more varied-girls/women to be pictured in magazines. Though I am very happy for you, I wish Elle, and to some extent you, had chosen a broader range of girls/women for this shoot and all shoots.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:32 PM) : 

I love the fact that you chose Kelly for this accessories assignment. She does such a wonderful job with her own accessories. Beige pumps with black toes - always love how they look. Kelly has her own unique way of incorporating traditional elements in a new way. I admire her for it. Thank you for letting us watch you work.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:30 PM) : 

I love the way you talk about fashion. You are so real and so positive. You are on my list of top 5 people I would like to meet! (Among the likes of Bill Clinton and Stevie Wonder)
<3

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:57 PM) : 

She's got so much more style than the "real" models.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:38 PM) : 

I went to high school in Austin with her and she was always this amazing looking. She's super sweet too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:56 PM) : 

I love that you can see her personalitly and sense of humor even before the beauty of her face and outfit strike you.

 

Blogger JO said ... (7:31 PM) : 

Glad to see Kelly back on your site - she has incredible style! Congrats to you on your fun assignment! how cool! it is really awesome that you got to give Kelly a nice opportunity as well. :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:08 PM) : 

Congratulations on this excellent project. Kelly looks fantastic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:39 PM) : 

looks like audrey hepburn

 

Blogger Blaise said ... (9:22 PM) : 

Great choice Sart for picking this girl to come with you in the shoot.. I just love the eccentricity and most of all the personality..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:19 PM) : 

Webster's definition of individuality & style: Kelly.

 

Blogger Garbed said ... (11:52 PM) : 

The full length shot of Kelly is one of the most beautiful fashion pics I've ever seen. She seems like she is hanging in the air. She worked the lighter shoes with a dark skirt perfectly--I always have problems doing shoes that are lighter than the rest of my outfit. Her age doesn't surprise me; when I was 23 (or even younger) I had the adventurousness that seems to have faded in the last decade-plus. This is inspiration to revive that spirit for the second half of my thirties. Thx

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:39 AM) : 

Sart: Thank you for taking us along for the ride! I'm looking forward to October. Geez, I wish I had Kelly's poise and witty style when I was 23!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:03 AM) : 

I have the feeling Kelly could do anything she darn well pleases! And do it well.

I'm just getting caught up (and am a bit late to the party). Good luck, Sart! Many congratulations on the fabulous gig.

-- desertwind

 

Blogger Martin said ... (3:26 AM) : 

this is amazing, thanks!
And yes I remeber that girl - she is one of my sart favs!


 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:46 AM) : 

You're doing such an amazing job. Thank you ever so much for sharing this wonderful experience with us.
I have no doubt you will do the project justice.
All best.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:14 AM) : 

I have exactly the same Coco style shoes, but mine are from a french brand

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:01 AM) : 

I just adore how you make baseball analogies. Not many fashion people like it! Who's is YOUR favorite player? Mine is Hadeki Matsui.

 

Blogger Vanessa said ... (8:50 PM) : 

She is amazing. That top is sheer joy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:46 AM) : 

I just can't stop looking at Kelly's pics, she is so everything, I love her and can hardly wait to see the results of your shooting. You are doing a great job, envy you!

 

Blogger Anastasia said ... (9:16 AM) : 

its going to be great!!

 

Blogger Cassidy said ... (4:00 AM) : 

I love this girl! She has that je ne sais quoi of style and overall presence-- I hope that shoot went well and I look forward to the spread!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:39 PM) : 

LOVE this girl!!!

 

Anonymous Ljerka-Susanna-Lukic said ... (8:02 PM) : 

NATURAL&STYLISH!!!
GREAT!!!
Susan,designer&writer
Toronto

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting