This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

How I Would Wear Thom Browne p.2

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

How I Would Wear Thom Browne p.2


Chris Mitchell of Details magazine wears a Thom Browne suit the way ,I would guess, most of Thom's customers wear his suits.
I think I'm starting to look forward to this Brooks Brothers collaboration

Comments on "How I Would Wear Thom Browne p.2"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:31 AM) : 

Now this is a real gentleman.The suit fits him perfectly and I am happy to see he takes care of his shoes, the color of which is a good choice.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (7:22 AM) : 

Sorry, this just looks wrong: the jacket too small and "cutaway," the pants of curiously indeterminate length.

The problem may be that one can't compromise the TB look in this way--or that the guy's too tall for it.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7:45 AM) : 

I understand that the "too small and too short" look is fashionable right now, but it still looks very uncomfortable and little silly.

Sorry. :(

 

Blogger Alice Olive said ... (7:58 AM) : 

I didn't notice the suit - just that fabulous crisp white shirt. He is lovely to behold!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:58 AM) : 

I just can't get over the fact that when you wear a Thom Browne it always looks like you are wearing a suit that you borrowed from someone else (of course that someone else is also much smaller then you!).

 

Blogger Zach said ... (8:03 AM) : 

Talk about showing cuff! the man's entire shirt cuff is sticking out. Not sure on this one Sart, it's managed a make of Thom a sort of Italian Lounge Lizzard look (The absent necktie and the fluttering shirtcuffs remind me of Brad Pitt in Ocean's 11). The pants, particularly given the context, look very similar to the italian way of wearing tapered trousers that we have seen in the previous few day's photos. Give me stodgy grey anyday.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:05 AM) : 

i just want to say, to the person before (some "analytical" person) that thought that all americans didn't like snug suits - well, this flys in the face of that. he looks fantastic, and so does his suit. this is the way to do the snug fit. those crinkly, wrinkly, TOO-shrunken light blue pants were a mess! this guy does it right.

P.S. i am american, obviously!

 

Blogger Berkelycole said ... (8:48 AM) : 

Glad you are signing on...the layout in Gentlemen's Quarterly this month show just how wearable Tom-ware via Brooks might be...albeit still expensively so

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 AM) : 

this guy always looks great!

 

Blogger pumpkin said ... (9:48 AM) : 

to the sart's guy readers: can you tell me, are these suits/cuts comfortable to wear? I love them conceptually and (usually) visually, but I get the feeling that if I were to try a similar trick I'd constantly be fidgeting and adjusting.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (9:49 AM) : 

It's a good thing Brooks Brothers is going this direction; they've been too staid for too long. I understand why, because they have a certain image to project, and a certain standard to uphold--classic American.

However, they need to move with the times if they want to hit a larger demographic than the ultra-traditional market they've had all along.

I can't wait to see what happens.

These suits, and the guys who are wearing them, and the ways in which they're wearing them are superb.

I hope to see a Part 3 soon!

 

Blogger The Spicers said ... (9:52 AM) : 

Stunning suit! The fabric looks like it has a slight sheen. Do you happen to know what it's made of?

 

Blogger Three Repute said ... (10:02 AM) : 

i guess that's his best foot forward.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:02 AM) : 

This month's men's vogue features the Thom Browne line for BB. It's nice but a little expensive for Brooksbrothers.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:09 AM) : 

The too-small jacket is a little too Pee Wee Herman for my taste, but the rest I love. I find this guy extremely fetching.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:54 AM) : 

This must be "Understated Thom" cuz it just looks like a typical suit (minus the large amount of shirt cuff).

Love the glasses hanging out of the pocket.

mltt

 

Blogger MacGuffin said ... (10:59 AM) : 

This version of Thom Brown I can live with. Love the colours.

 

Blogger will anderson said ... (11:01 AM) : 

now that's awesome. its not in your face, affected, but has more style than anyone else on the street. very sharp.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:26 AM) : 

Oh, I'm melting . . . . .

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:29 AM) : 

One day I suppose I may come around to Thom Browne's vision of shrunken proportions for menswear, but for now I still think his jackets look too small on big guys like this. Here at least the trousers are long enough.

Great shoes!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:32 AM) : 

This month's men's Vogue features a shoot with Thom Browne for BB. It is nice but a bit expensive for BB.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:43 AM) : 

I'm in love.

Somehow it is boyish-sophistication.
Playful but expensive looking.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:52 AM) : 

Not to criticize Browne’s vision (which I have done elsewhere by equating it with Pee Wee Herman's) or to tout any other particular brand, but there are fully canvassed suit models from, e.g., Hickey-Freeman, Samuleshon, Southwick that carry jackets with minimally shaped and padded shoulders, slight waist suppression/darting, and tapered flat front trousers. I’m a 42 regular, and if I put on a 40 short in any of those models I have the same appearance and equivalent quality garment as the gentleman pictured for significantly less money. Nobody is knocking off anybody else; that's just the way it is. At least that’s what I think, but I’m willing to be convinced otherwise.

Where I’m not willing to brook any argument at all, however, is with the sublimely simple and elegant combination of navy suit, white shirt, white handkerchief, and chestnut shoes. An added plus: pack grey trousers, blue jeans, blue shirt, pink or yellow shirt, a couple of ties, shorts and swim trunks, and a pair of soft brown loafers in a carry-on, throw a trench coat over your shoulder, and travel around the world.

 

Blogger Sam said ... (12:08 PM) : 

I like his shoes. I just bought a pair in that color. Now I'm on the hunt for a belt. This dude is smooth like Kaopectate.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

wow.. he is just amazingly hot... love the way he's dressed... suits perfectly.. just adore him. kisses from Argentina.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:01 PM) : 

I'm sorry. This is absolutely awful. A shrunken suit on a big guy just looks ill-fitted. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but this is just...blehhh!

 

Blogger brandon said ... (1:51 PM) : 

Thats exactly how I want to wear my Thom Browne suit when I buy it in the fall. I am a recent college grad and now I can't wait to buy mine. Although I probably will wear barrel cuffs with my suit. Great pic

 

Blogger DK said ... (1:51 PM) : 

Ok. I'm coming around.

Great summer look here. Is that linen or cotton?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:23 PM) : 

I really do like the fit of the suit on this guy. Is the suit made from linen?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:50 PM) : 

My eyes are getting used to Thom Browne's proportions. Very snappy and not Peewee Hermen-esque at all!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 PM) : 

HHHmmmm. Not convinced. Especially with his build. Although it is very stylish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:30 PM) : 

I think he looks slick, but would you wear that much cuff? Maybe it speaks to the exagerated shortness of TB suits, I don't know. I'm getting used to the short, tapered pant, but the wide cuff looks a bit Pilgrim-like to me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:23 PM) : 

very clean and elegant, nicely done. not sure how i feel about the cuffs, though.

 

Blogger OTC said ... (4:38 PM) : 

Very nice outfit. I am curious to see how Thom's Brooks Brothers line does as well.

The details here hit that casually elegant note for which most people strive but never really reach. The perfect pants which barely brush some beautiful shoes, the artfully unbuttoned shirt cuffs, and trim little pocket square sharing space with some swanky sunglasses. By opening up that extra shirt button though, he appears to be working some kind of Bob Guccione angle.

My only concern with this delicate balance of an outfit - and with most of Thom Browne's suits - is that at some point you have to move. This suit coat in particular looks so perfectly tailored that I fear any movement will send the button shooting down 7th Avenue.

Regardless though, a great pic of a great outfit.

 

Blogger Paulo A. Pereira said ... (4:40 PM) : 

I really like the whole look - brown shoes the deep color of the suit the white shirt absolutely beautiful.
The cut of the jacket a bit tight of course being Thom Browne you expect it.
I don't know where I stand with Thom Browne,
I really like his clothes but I am scarred I can only pull off one or two things. So I'd rather avoid him all together just in case the look I'm pulling off really looks bad. But maybe his Brooks Brothers collaboration will persuade me to take that chance.
We shall see....

 

Blogger Cristina Redondo said ... (4:58 PM) : 

Dear Sartorialist,
I've been reading your blog, and looking out for information about your work, and I really surprised every time I found a new information about your work.
Congratulations for your great comments about your pictures, and about the trends that you discovered to us.
Keep it up!
Speak soon,
cris.

 

Blogger matt williams said ... (5:34 PM) : 

Besides being well dressed this guy has a swagger that I like.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:52 PM) : 

Pants could be a tad shorter but I think Thom would be jazzed....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 PM) : 

you know what? it just looks out of proportion. either he doesn't have the physique to carry it off (makes his hips look wide) or he doesn't have the attitude to pull it off (it's already a geeky style, BUT you can't have a geeky air). but i like the suit's quality. sorry but the tailoring just isn't working for me on him.

 

Blogger Asi Mod said ... (6:36 PM) : 

I like the shorter jacket on the gentleman. His pants are longer than what Thom Browne shows on the runway.

Cute guy, nice body and well fitted suit. Perfecto!

 

Blogger ek said ... (7:03 PM) : 

Still not a fan, though the fabric looks nice. However, this does seem a littlle more palatable to the average American male. Nice shoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:49 PM) : 

I couldn't even pay attention to the suit because the guy is so cute!

 

Blogger simplyolive said ... (9:04 PM) : 

he looks perfectly groomed, but a little uneasy in a suit that seems too small.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 PM) : 

The comment below is offered with great trepidation to the extent that I don't necessarily limit what is or isn't good fashion by these two examples. But there is/may be a point in there somewhere.

That said, I wonder if you could get two of my avatars, Cary Grant and Steve McQueen, in a Thom Browne suit?

Eminence Grise

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:46 PM) : 

I really love this shrunken/fitted look on not-tiny men. unlike dior homme's equally miniaturized suits, thom browne's clothes just work on guys who are actual men, not little skinny boys. so fashiony, a little feminine, and yet totally debonaire. love it!

from what I've seen of the brooks bros collaboration, though, it's nothing to write home about. although it will be cool to see a variety of men wearing mr browne's suits, who might not have looked twice at them before.

 

Blogger Sol Timpepper said ... (11:08 PM) : 

hot!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:52 PM) : 

Balance, proportion and appropriateness remain, and always will remain, essential to a suit in order to make it beautiful. This is not beautiful. It offends the eye in nearly every way possible.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:05 PM) : 

Anyone know what kind of shoes those are, or what color you'd call those? I've been looking for a similar pair.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1:37 PM) : 

I can't imagine anyone over 6 feet wearing this look. It would be less deliberate, more "my cleaner shrank my suit in the wash."

Certain things only work on petite (petit?) people. The Thom Browne suit is one of them.

(And yes, I know these suits are shown on models -- very thin models in a very specific situation. I stand by my comment.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:05 PM) : 

I love this guy's shoes, and I love Thom Browne. But with that being said, the amount of taper on the trousers makes his large feet look even larger.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:06 PM) : 

This is not for ordinary men.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:04 PM) : 

If this is what a Thom Brown suite is supposed to look like then I think I'm starting to look forward to the Thom Brown backlash.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:42 PM) : 

Overpriced, undersized and overated.

 

Blogger Stratos Bacalis said ... (4:34 PM) : 

That's way much better than part 1. He looks great and it fits him to a T - great proportions too! And I love the combination of dark blue suit and brown leather!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:12 PM) : 

Yeah, I'm not feeling the too-small-suit either. But it is very Oxford-style wearing-my-dad's-suit-because-it's-just-so-much-better-than-anything-made-these-days.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:15 PM) : 

Wow. Very suave. Very nice. Smart suit and confident pose.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 AM) : 

The gentleman looks excellent... but on a larger scale topic, the silhouette of men's suiting cannot be changed. That little short jacket that he is wearing (that tend to be "fashionable" right now... looks silly. It just looks like a man is wearing a woman's jacket. If it doesn't cover your ass, it's too short.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting